Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Boomtown: The Rise of Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand the appeal of "gritty". Mind you, I grew up in a small, working class, rural New England town, neighbors were farmers or sold cord-wood, my dad drove trucks and worked in a warehouse. But while we prided ourselves on our "grit", no-one would have approved of the general lack of cleanliness, lack of pride in the appearance of your property, the lack of courtesy in public and behind the wheel you see all too often in Jersey City. Despite growing up in Franklin County, I always was a city boy at heart, and came to NY/JC for the reasons these places are on the rise. While it's great to meet old-timers who remind me of my mom and dad (and in the Heights, I do all the time) too much of the time "gritty" seems to be an excuse for dirty and nasty.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Well written article highlighting all areas of JC.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Boomtown: The Rise of Jersey City

Jersey City's resurgence delights some, but worries others. We take a tour with Steven Fulop, a mayor committed to keeping his city gritty.

New Jersey Monthly:  By | July 5, 2016 | Appears in the July 2016 issue

Until a few months ago, 99 Hudson Street was the site of a parking lot, a full block on the Jersey City waterfront, overshadowed by neighboring towers. The parked cars are gone now, replaced by construction crews and heavy equipment. A tall fence encloses a deepening hole in the ground, a familiar sight not just here along the Hudson River, but throughout this city, where construction has accelerated at a boomtown pace over the last five years.

Steel beams will soon sprout from the hole on Hudson Street—the skeletal frame of what will be a 79-story residential tower. If the building proceeds as planned by China Overseas America Inc., a New York-based affiliate of a Beijing-based developer, it will first climb higher than 10 Exchange Place, two blocks north, which when erected in the 1980s was the tallest building in a Jersey skyline then emerging from the old waterfront rail yards. As 99 Hudson Street continues to rise, it will climb higher than 101 Hudson, one block north, the tallest building of the 1990s. It will climb higher still, surpassing the 42-story, 780-foot-tall Goldman Sachs tower, four blocks south and the tallest building in the state since its completion in 2004. When 99 Hudson is finished, it will be 900 feet tall, with 781 Manhattan-view condos.

Read more:  http://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey- ... town-rise-of-jersey-city/

lol. i guess posh is the new gritty.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City's resurgence delights some, but worries others. We take a tour with Steven Fulop, a mayor committed to keeping his city gritty.

New Jersey Monthly:  By | July 5, 2016 | Appears in the July 2016 issue

Until a few months ago, 99 Hudson Street was the site of a parking lot, a full block on the Jersey City waterfront, overshadowed by neighboring towers. The parked cars are gone now, replaced by construction crews and heavy equipment. A tall fence encloses a deepening hole in the ground, a familiar sight not just here along the Hudson River, but throughout this city, where construction has accelerated at a boomtown pace over the last five years.

Steel beams will soon sprout from the hole on Hudson Street—the skeletal frame of what will be a 79-story residential tower. If the building proceeds as planned by China Overseas America Inc., a New York-based affiliate of a Beijing-based developer, it will first climb higher than 10 Exchange Place, two blocks north, which when erected in the 1980s was the tallest building in a Jersey skyline then emerging from the old waterfront rail yards. As 99 Hudson Street continues to rise, it will climb higher than 101 Hudson, one block north, the tallest building of the 1990s. It will climb higher still, surpassing the 42-story, 780-foot-tall Goldman Sachs tower, four blocks south and the tallest building in the state since its completion in 2004. When 99 Hudson is finished, it will be 900 feet tall, with 781 Manhattan-view condos.

Read more:  http://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey- ... town-rise-of-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2016/7/6 5:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017