Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop: ‘We are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey’
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
but is it just short term and not sustainable?

It's probably longer term.

Quote:
or is it built on real changes, improvement and creating new value?

Looks that way.

Quote:
or is it just green lighting, up zoning and subsidizing every development project from the river to the boulevard?

As we can see in San Francisco and the Bay Area, refusal to develop in an increasingly desirable area causes its own problems. With less inventory on the market, housing becomes incredibly expensive; poorer residents, especially renters, get pushed out; neighborhoods still gentrify.

At least Fulop has pushed for affordable housing, and gave economic incentives to develop outside of downtown.

Quote:
is it just amplifying a strong economy and trying to market and accelerate gentrification before the economy slows down?

If you can show us anything that any major can do to protect a city from an inevitable future regional or national economic downturn, then you get a cookie.

Quote:
is all the new development getting their taxes locked in leaving property taxes to explode with a bloated budget when the economy slows?

Huh? You mean, Fulop's administration knows when the next major economic crisis will hit, and is timing abatements to expire right when it happens? ?_?

Quote:
is it good public policy for the city to extend close the five years continuing the increasing disparity of having poor minority communities subsidizing wealthier whiter communities?

Nope.

That said, and while I don't defend the delay in the reval (which none of Fulop's predecessors wanted either...), I suspect lots of the people clamoring for the reval won't be thrilled with the results.

Quote:
are we better off?

Than if Healy was still mayor? Probably.

Posted on: 2016/7/11 0:17

Re: Fulop: ‘We are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey’
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Speaking of metrics and quality of life, what's up with all the zombie-looking people on the streets of Manhattan. Are these the heroin addicts? Why aren't they lforced into treatment or locked up

Heroin has made a comeback and not just in NYC. The guy who services the septic system for my parent's home in Vermont told me a story about a call he got from the local Walmart.

The store's sewage pump stopped working. When he inspected the pump, he found it completely clogged with disposable hypodermic needles. Junkies were using the lavs at Walmart to shoot up and flushed the needles down the toilet.

Drug epidemics after a while burn themselves out as the users eventually kill themselves off. This is what happened to the crack-cocaine craze during the early 1990s.

Definitely all over the US, and barely noticeable in NYC when compared to other cities. I'm currently in the midst of a west coast trip, and the situation in Seattle (and, Portland) is really dire. It is not at all uncommon to see a ton of people walking around with lost stares, and otherwise high (and sometimes tweaked out of their minds) and the homelessness situation is just as bad, and most likely related. I was last here a little over 10 years ago and it is very sad to witness how things have deteriorated so quickly in two very vibrant, young cities.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Leading in everything great! Time to lower taxes! Oh wait not according to a Democrat.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Speaking of metrics and quality of life, what's up with all the zombie-looking people on the streets of Manhattan. Are these the heroin addicts? Why aren't they lforced into treatment or locked up

Heroin has made a comeback and not just in NYC. The guy who services the septic system for my parent's home in Vermont told me a story about a call he got from the local Walmart.

The store's sewage pump stopped working. When he inspected the pump, he found it completely clogged with disposable hypodermic needles. Junkies were using the lavs at Walmart to shoot up and flushed the needles down the toilet.

Drug epidemics after a while burn themselves out as the users eventually kill themselves off. This is what happened to the crack-cocaine craze during the early 1990s.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

They are called Democratic voters and it's considered inhumane to force them into treatment.

Maybe hero69 has Trump in mind.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 2:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

They are called Democratic voters and it's considered inhumane to force them into treatment.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/10 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Is there an economic metric that grades a city's ability to fund its own expenditures? Because I'd believe we'd fail that horribly. Especially in light of how much wealth has been brought into JC.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be happy to afford pot hole and road repair through our city services. And to enforce home owners to repair the road where their water lines are breaking and protruding. Between the craters, pot holes, and psudeo speed bump asphalt patches it's getting more dangerous to bike these streets. Well with all these billions I can get a new bike...every year.

Posted on: 2016/7/9 22:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Our ratable base is still below $6 billion. In 1988, the ratable base was around $6.5 billion. So I do not agree we are doing great. Our taxes are artificially high due to the low ratable base. One reason Fulop was able to stabilize taxes in the beginning was the expiration of some tax abatements which pushed up the ratable base from $5.7 billion to just under $6 billion. Those tax abatements under Schundler expired and he benefited. Plus we are facing a disaster if the state pulls the plug on school aid.

Posted on: 2016/7/9 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Out of all the issues to criticize Fulop on, and there are many, you're really barking up the wrong tree here as this is something that would appeal to folks like Yvonne, rather than your average voter. The city is absolutely better today than it has been in the past. Development brings in new tax revenues that would otherwise not exist. Be it in the form of PILOTs or regular property tax payments, the revenue from nearly all new development greatly exceed what it costs for the city to provide services. It also increases the supply of new housing and commercial development, which keeps rents affordable for existing residents. I can't thing of a single community with a growing economy that has kept things affordable by limiting the new supply of development (think San Francisco). Yes, there is the Yvonnes of this city that will find it harder to park because of the influx of new people, but for the rest of us it means new union jobs during construction, and new jobs in the businesses that are opening up that will provide enhanced or needed services. For example. I'm not a huge fan of Boggiano but even he recognizes the need for the high density development within Journal Square in order to attract a supermarket that's so desperately needed in the area. I think he'll accomplish that goal too in the near future, and I applaud him for that. "Poor minority communities" have been screaming for a reval to equalize the tax base as they have been paying a disproportionate share of taxes on the value of their homes. That is finally coming thanks to intervention by the state. Where Fulop deserves blame is delaying the reval ordered by your friend Healy along with the disinfo he's spreading. But you're just as bad using "poor minority communities" as pawns. The city often times collects more money in PILOT payments than it would from conventional taxes. I believe the law is written that way to encourage communities to develop rather than stagnate. The revenues, be it from PILOT payments or conventional taxes pay for needed city services that are of great benefit to "poor minority communities." Now what I would like to see is a focus on commercial and office development, which should come naturally as the population increases as employees and clients are large factors in deciding where a business locates. I swear, if you ever decide to run for office in Jersey City again, this minority will be backing your opponent. Quote:
DanL wrote: but is it just short term and not sustainable? or is it built on real changes, improvement and creating new value? or is it just green lighting, up zoning and subsidizing every development project from the river to the boulevard? is it just amplifying a strong economy and trying to market and accelerate gentrification before the economy slows down? is all the new development getting their taxes locked in leaving property taxes to explode with a bloated budget when the economy slows? is it good public policy for the city to extend close the five years continuing the increasing disparity of having poor minority communities subsidizing wealthier whiter communities? we do lead the state in property tax disparity. are we better off? Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Fulop: ?We are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey?

HUDSON COUNTY VIEW - July 8, 2016 - Jersey City, News - Written by -

Appearing poised for a statewide run for office at a packed fundraiser last night, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said ?we are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey.?

?I?ve seen what Mayor Fulop and this city council has done through the years, and you know what, when people say he?s not doing the right thing, the majority of the people here in Jersey City and around the state know that Jersey City is the envy of New Jersey: across the state!,? exclaimed Ray Greaves.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/fulop-we- ... -the-state-of-new-jersey/

Posted on: 2016/7/9 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
but is it just short term and not sustainable? or is it built on real changes, improvement and creating new value? or is it just green lighting, up zoning and subsidizing every development project from the river to the boulevard? is it just amplifying a strong economy and trying to market and accelerate gentrification before the economy slows down? is all the new development getting their taxes locked in leaving property taxes to explode with a bloated budget when the economy slows? is it good public policy for the city to extend close the five years continuing the increasing disparity of having poor minority communities subsidizing wealthier whiter communities? we do lead the state in property tax disparity. are we better off? Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Fulop: ?We are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey?

Appearing poised for a statewide run for office at a packed fundraiser last night, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said ?we are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey.?

?I?ve seen what Mayor Fulop and this city council has done through the years, and you know what, when people say he?s not doing the right thing, the majority of the people here in Jersey City and around the state know that Jersey City is the envy of New Jersey: across the state!,? exclaimed Ray Greaves.

Posted on: 2016/7/9 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/9 4:17

Fulop: ‘We are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey’
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop: ‘We are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey’

Appearing poised for a statewide run for office at a packed fundraiser last night, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said “we are leading every single economic metric in the State of New Jersey.”

“I’ve seen what Mayor Fulop and this city council has done through the years, and you know what, when people say he’s not doing the right thing, the majority of the people here in Jersey City and around the state know that Jersey City is the envy of New Jersey: across the state!,” exclaimed Ray Greaves.

Posted on: 2016/7/9 3:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017