Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: JC monopoly mural on/in newark pedestrian plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
as usual jclist posters appear to have ADD, so back to the topic at hand.

Tris McCall wrote commentary - My Town is an Embarrasment

I hope everybody in Jersey City who makes art got the message loud and clear yesterday. Should you be naive enough to contract with the municipal government on a public project, the city reserves the right to alter your work without your consent. A citizen who finds your painting offensive can push the city to deface your project in the name of the general welfare. What we?ve learned from the Monopoly mural fiasco: our local politicians don?t understand how art works or why it?s important, they don?t understand why free expression needs to be safeguarded, and they?re untrustworthy partners for creative people.

Read more - http://trismccall.net/my-town-is-an-embarrassment/

Posted on: 2016/7/4 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Maybe those up can stage a sit in and cover the offending cartoon-like the Democrats did over gun control (except it was later disclosed over 2 dozen of those protesting own guns!).

I thought the Democrat sit-in was about gun control, not a gun ban. You know like trying to make it harder for people on a terror watch list to acquire guns.
Unless these Democrats are themselves on a terror watch list, I don't see how your comment is relevant. What am I missing?

You're missing that it was about political theater, not gun control. And they voted against two of the four gun control bills offered. Same thing here-McKnight, crying loud, should ask why her brother still hasn't paid back his restitution for the $4 million dollars he stole from JC taxpayers . . . while he has a $75K/year job that he scored from Fulop through disgraced ex-governor McGreevey.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Maybe those up can stage a sit in and cover the offending cartoon-like the Democrats did over gun control (except it was later disclosed over 2 dozen of those protesting own guns!).

I thought the Democrat sit-in was about gun control, not a gun ban. You know like trying to make it harder for people on a terror watch list to acquire guns.
Unless these Democrats are themselves on a terror watch list, I don't see how your comment is relevant. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2016/7/1 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
It's unbelievable that they rolled over the "offending" image.

I'm not really a fan of the mural, but that's some sniveling pathetic bullshit.
Where is it said that you have a right to never be offended?

Posted on: 2016/7/1 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
How about changing the character behind bars to look like Chico Ramchal or Steve Lipski?

Posted on: 2016/7/1 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Monroe,. Its nothing new that a lot of Democrats are hypocrites. Look no further then Al Gore. Hence the term limousine liberal.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I agree with everything you say but I think it's naive not to see that the "regressives" are slowly gaining control of the Democratic Party and since the media is on their side, it's only a matter of time before they take it over completely.
I didn't say they weren't. Like I said, they're the left's version of the Tea Party. The Tea Party totally took over the Republican party and thankfully now they are falling by the wayside. I only hope that liberals and Democrats decide to start ignoring regressives soon, or they will have a long-lasting impact on our national culture that will take a long time to recover. If people don't start ignoring their drivel soon, instead of just having idiots on twitter complaining and being outraged at everything, we'll start seeing more and more government programs focused on driving racial differences instead of erasing them.

It just really sucks right now, because even though these people are a relatively small group, they are so outspoken, and social media is so quick to react, that celebrities and politicians fall into line lest they come under harassment themselves. It's a vicious crab bucket.

Their thought leaders operate under a theory called Cultural Marxism and their goal indeed is to create the Cultural Revolution 2.0 over here. It's one of the biggest reasons I support Trump, because I foresee the divisive government programs you talk about materializing under Hillary, with a host of other bad consequences outside of government, while Trump would quickly put an end to this nonsense.

Posted on: 2016/7/1 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I agree with everything you say but I think it's naive not to see that the "regressives" are slowly gaining control of the Democratic Party and since the media is on their side, it's only a matter of time before they take it over completely.
I didn't say they weren't. Like I said, they're the left's version of the Tea Party. The Tea Party totally took over the Republican party and thankfully now they are falling by the wayside. I only hope that liberals and Democrats decide to start ignoring regressives soon, or they will have a long-lasting impact on our national culture that will take a long time to recover. If people don't start ignoring their drivel soon, instead of just having idiots on twitter complaining and being outraged at everything, we'll start seeing more and more government programs focused on driving racial differences instead of erasing them.

It just really sucks right now, because even though these people are a relatively small group, they are so outspoken, and social media is so quick to react, that celebrities and politicians fall into line lest they come under harassment themselves. It's a vicious crab bucket.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/30 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
I thought the guy in jail was a character of the artist.
It is, but it doesn't matter. To regressive liberals, everything is racist and everything is sexist, unless it involves white males, because they're privileged. I say this as a super liberal person. I'm really sick of regressives getting so much attention these days. It's an industry of outrage and I'm really tired of it. They're the left's Tea Party but they will have a much longer impact on our national culture unless people start ignoring them entirely.

What you call "regressive liberals" I call "progressives." They are just taking liberal rhetoric that's been around for decades and embracing it to the extreme.

And they aren't going away any time soon since the current crop of "journalists" are predominantly "progressives." If anything you should expect this to get worse, which will only help Trump.
no, I would consider myself a progressive. I think the description of people like this as regressive is a great description, because they take progressive values to the extreme and horseshoe back around to an extremely conservative side where everything they do and say is extremely paternalistic, sexist, and racist. The values that regressive espouse tend to emphasize and demand different treatment for people based on their skin color, gender, and ethnic background. Instead of tearing down barriers, it's all about building new ones.

Progressive values are about building up opportunities for everyone and ensuring that all people have the economic and social freedom they need to succeed and be equal. Regressive values are about propping up some people by tearing down others.

So no, I do not accept the idea that this is simply "progressive values" because it has nothing to do with being progressive and everything to do with driving wedges between people.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
it has been painted over so no one is offended. Lets move on.

Our tax dollars at work!

Posted on: 2016/6/30 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
it has been painted over so no one is offended. Lets move on.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
It is, but it doesn't matter. To regressive liberals, everything is racist and everything is sexist, unless it involves white males, because they're privileged. I say this as a super liberal person. I'm really sick of regressives getting so much attention these days. It's an industry of outrage and I'm really tired of it. They're the left's Tea Party but they will have a much longer impact on our national culture unless people start ignoring them entirely.

What you call "regressive liberals" I call "progressives." They are just taking liberal rhetoric that's been around for decades and embracing it to the extreme.

And they aren't going away any time soon since the current crop of "journalists" are predominantly "progressives." If anything you should expect this to get worse, which will only help Trump.
no, I would consider myself a progressive. I think the description of people like this as regressive is a great description, because they take progressive values to the extreme and horseshoe back around to an extremely conservative side where everything they do and say is extremely paternalistic, sexist, and racist. The values that regressive espouse tend to emphasize and demand different treatment for people based on their skin color, gender, and ethnic background. Instead of tearing down barriers, it's all about building new ones.

Progressive values are about building up opportunities for everyone and ensuring that all people have the economic and social freedom they need to succeed and be equal. Regressive values are about propping up some people by tearing down others.

So no, I do not accept the idea that this is simply "progressive values" because it has nothing to do with being progressive and everything to do with driving wedges between people.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 21:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/26 18:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

Pinkf222 wrote:
That would be great if it was actually removed. Is there any chance it would happen? I doubt it.

maybe we can get a river of salty tears to wash it away?

Oh I don't find it offensive at all. Just think it's horribly ugly.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 16:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Offensive or not, it's a terrible mural

Posted on: 2016/6/30 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/30 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pinkf222 wrote:
That would be great if it was actually removed. Is there any chance it would happen? I doubt it.

maybe we can get a river of salty tears to wash it away?

Posted on: 2016/6/30 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/30 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Relax, everybody. I'm fairly sure the Jersey Journal publishes an article every time anyone calls them to say they're "outraged". I plan to contact them and complain about how all women feel it's okay to wear yoga outfits 24-7. I'm outraged, and I expect them to do a poll on this subject.

Posted on: 2016/6/30 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/30 13:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/26 18:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/30 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/30 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Allegations of racism fly over Jersey City street art

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 29, 2016 at 2:14 PM

JERSEY CITY — Residents are calling for changes to the Jersey City Monopoly board on the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza because of a square that they say depicts a black cartoon character behind bars.

The square on the Jersey City-centric Monopoly board/street art replaces the line drawing of a prisoner seen on the board of the classic Hasbro game with a character that has dark skin.

Among those calling for the board to be changed is Pamela Johnson, leader of the Jersey City Anti-Violence Coalition Movement, who said the depiction of the prisoner is "extremely damaging."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_stirs_debate_again.html

Ah, the glory of "progressives."

Posted on: 2016/6/30 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
These acts of whiny vaginal political correctness are indeed the downfall of our strength as a society. The artist gave a leveling reply via a letter posted in the comments section of the nj.com link. Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds. Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY — Residents are calling for changes to the Jersey City Monopoly board on the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza because of a square that they say depicts a black cartoon character behind bars.

The square on the Jersey City-centric Monopoly board/street art replaces the line drawing of a prisoner seen on the board of the classic Hasbro game with a character that has dark skin.

Among those calling for the board to be changed is Pamela Johnson, leader of the Jersey City Anti-Violence Coalition Movement, who said the depiction of the prisoner is "extremely damaging."

Posted on: 2016/6/29 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I discovered today that the glossy paint and light color of the mural reflect the bright summer sun RIGHT INTO YOUR FACE when you walk across it. Yikes.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

that dude barely has a tan. It clearly is supposed to be Omar Mateen

Posted on: 2016/6/29 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/29 17:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/12 13:34
Group:
Banned
No need angry songbird. Paint is easy, mesage for truth very hard. Give time for truth and love. The road message have different way. If road unfinished go the other way! Always to think about the other choice. Big eye but no sight like no tail dog.

Posted on: 2016/6/26 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
If I ever saw the guy actually working on it, I'd shout, "FINISH YOUR DUMB UGLY PAINTING ALREADY! THIS AIN'T THE SISTINE CHAPEL!"

LoL

Posted on: 2016/6/25 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

baxtyre wrote:
when are they going to stop repainting it? It seems like it's literally every morning these past two or three weeks that it's been blocked off.

The painter is adding layers and detail, not repainting it.

Apparently that painter gets paid a small stipend that comes out of a state grant which in turn comes from our state tax dollars, and has previously been arrested for vandalizing the city with graffiti. Nice!

I'd rather the state grants be spent on improving the traffic flow, or job training for the homeless, anything other than a tacky mural painted by someone who has been arrested for graffiti and is now being rewarded. I guess I can't blame Jersey City, or the former vandal, for taking the money, but this state has got to get its priorities straight. The streets look fine enough without this crap that costs money.

So happy I'm not the only one who thinks the exact same thing. The "pigs" reference was offensive (even in draft form) and the "cool statue" hipster reference to the somber Katyn massacre monument was distasteful and insensitive to say the least.

Posted on: 2016/6/25 16:56

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017