Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: What location was your bike stolen from (time, type of lock, etc)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycle- ... eade58:g:JloAAOSwJQdW9QXx

Include it with a lock and chain ... they are very cheap and just a bump sets them off!

looks good on paper but in the real world, would be as, or more annoying than car alarms that people in a city routinely ignore.

Posted on: 2016/6/24 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycle- ... eade58:g:JloAAOSwJQdW9QXx

Include it with a lock and chain ... they are very cheap and just a bump sets them off!

Posted on: 2016/6/24 9:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Bike Stolen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
What area of the city was it stolen from, what did you lock it to, and what type of lock did you use ?

Posted on: 2016/6/23 22:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Bike Stolen

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/22 14:20
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
My bright orange and turquoise Fuji Feather fixie (with a flip-flop hub), size 52 cm (ct) was stolen on Tuesday night (6/21/16).

If anyone sees it around please let me know! (Pictured in my avatar image.)

Here's the Facebook post for it: https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post. ... 102481543239252&width=500

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/6/23 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Folding bikes are the way to go. Take it with you or someone else will take it from you. You can get a nice light multi-speed Dahon for around $400.

Foldys rank slightly above adults riding razor scooters.

Whew! At least I'm above somebody!

If you haven't, folding bikers rejoice:

http://www.davidbyrne.com/archive/art/books/bicycle_diaries/

I am in the market for a Montague Paratrooper foldy. Rode it too; a very solid bike.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:
It's 7 pm, still daylight. Your bike was stolen from in front of the ferry terminal, you turn around to walk home? Very believable reaction.
Where was security?
Why didn't you call the police to report the theft immediately?
Oh yeah, you were drunk.
You turn around and see the thief, you pick out your bike at 60 yards while drunk, and then call the police?
You follow in stealth mode and happen to see the thief steal another bike?
The police release the "stolen bike" to a person who is drunk, claiming its his bike, with no proof other than the statement of a drunk.
Any thief would ride like the wind to avoid being caught. This whole account stinks. But it is a nice story.

What's with the hostility here? Two rapacious bike thieves caught in the act, but you're more offended that the would-be victim was somewhat inebriated? Sheesh.

Way to go Assoulman.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
serious question

at what point does an unlocked bike at a bike rack become abandoned? I've seen a bike in a rack for a week now that has two flats, no seat and isn't locked. Aside from that, it's in okay condition and with a little love could be a pretty good beater bike.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 15:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 11:34
Group:
Registered Users
Soulman, Let me address: It's 7 pm, still daylight. Your bike was stolen from in front of the ferry terminal, you turn around to walk home? Very believable reaction. There are 2 bike racks that are directly across the ferry terminal, both in front of office buildings. Mine was attached to the closer one to the terminal building. I started to walk home towards the west and saw the individual with my bike as a did a quick scan of the area, and he was about 20 yards away. Where was security? what security? no. Why didn't you call the police to report the theft immediately? I called immediately You turn around and see the thief, you pick out your bike at 60 yards while drunk, and then call the police? 20 yards as stated, easy to see a red bike. You follow in stealth mode and happen to see the thief steal another bike? Correct. These were some greedy kids. It was rather unbelievable when I saw them again. The police release the "stolen bike" to a person who is drunk, claiming its his bike, with no proof other than the statement of a drunk. Actually if you must know, the police gave me and the bike a ride to the juvenile precinct and I spoke to the detective. After, I took an Uber home with my bike. I was not fall down drunk. Any thief would ride like the wind to avoid being caught. This whole account stinks. But it is a nice story. He wasn't riding because he stopped to get another bike with his accomplice. PM me for a picture I got on my iPhone, it was really hilarious at the time. You can also get the report from the east district if you like.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:
It's 7 pm, still daylight. Your bike was stolen from in front of the ferry terminal, you turn around to walk home? Very believable reaction.

What other reaction did you expect?!? When my bike was stolen in NYC, I found my chain clipped on the ground, looked around, sighed, cursed a little, and then walked to the nearest subway station. There is nothing else to say or do.

The rest of your post... I don't know. It all reads like your cat peed on your cheerios and you are just not happy this morning.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 15:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Where was security?
Why didn't you call the police to report the theft immediately?
Oh yeah, you were drunk.
You turn around and see the thief, you pick out your bike at 60 yards while drunk, and then call the police?
You follow in stealth mode and happen to see the thief steal another bike?
The police release the "stolen bike" to a person who is drunk, claiming its his bike, with no proof other than the statement of a drunk.
Any thief would ride like the wind to avoid being caught. This whole account stinks. But it is a nice story.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyQuags wrote:
Caught in the act!

I was coming home off the pier 11 to Paulus Hook ferry last night at 7 PM and walked to the bike rack in front of building by the ferry terminal. My bike was stolen from the bike rack which I parked and locked it at.

Low and behold I turn around to start to walk home and see an individual with my bike, about 20 yards away. I am watching him walk on the waterfront path towards the back of the goldman building walking south with my bike. I called the east district police. Since I was half in the bag from a happy hour, this was pure entertainment.

They sent a car over to the area based on my description of the bike. Since the individual was walking south, I walked West in an effort to cut him off from the dead end that he would eventually hit. While I was walking I witnessed him and his partner trying to steal another bike, on the south side of 70 Greene St.

I kept my distance and called the police back and told them the exact location and that the theft was in progress. Since they were in the area, they were able to respond quickly and caught them in the act, hand in the cookie jar.

The criminals were 2 16 year old Latino juveniles, and were then booked at the Cator Ave youth bureau. The main guy was them about 5 ft tall and obese, hard to miss actually. I got my bike back. Despite the belief that cops don't care about petty stuff, they were pretty impressed in my drunken communication skills, and were happy I called them.

That's a great story - made my day! Congratulations.

Out of curiosity, what kind of lock were you using?

Posted on: 2016/6/10 14:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 11:34
Group:
Registered Users
Caught in the act!

I was coming home off the pier 11 to Paulus Hook ferry last night at 7 PM and walked to the bike rack in front of building by the ferry terminal. My bike was stolen from the bike rack which I parked and locked it at.

Low and behold I turn around to start to walk home and see an individual with my bike, about 20 yards away. I am watching him walk on the waterfront path towards the back of the goldman building walking south with my bike. I called the east district police. Since I was half in the bag from a happy hour, this was pure entertainment.

They sent a car over to the area based on my description of the bike. Since the individual was walking south, I walked West in an effort to cut him off from the dead end that he would eventually hit. While I was walking I witnessed him and his partner trying to steal another bike, on the south side of 70 Greene St.

I kept my distance and called the police back and told them the exact location and that the theft was in progress. Since they were in the area, they were able to respond quickly and caught them in the act, hand in the cookie jar.

The criminals were 2 16 year old Latino juveniles, and were then booked at the Cator Ave youth bureau. The main guy was them about 5 ft tall and obese, hard to miss actually. I got my bike back. Despite the belief that cops don't care about petty stuff, they were pretty impressed in my drunken communication skills, and were happy I called them.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Folding bikes are the way to go. Take it with you or someone else will take it from you. You can get a nice light multi-speed Dahon for around $400.

If you haven't, folding bikers rejoice:

http://www.davidbyrne.com/archive/art/books/bicycle_diaries/

Posted on: 2016/5/12 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/12 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
when we kept bikes there a couple years ago secured by u-locks and cables thru wheels, there were minor incidents of vandalism. note that location is also by a heavily used park.

Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Powder Blue SS bike at the intersection of Jersey and 8th with both brake lines clipped. The owner locks their bike up correctly with a HD chain lock through both wheels and the frame, so this was clearly vandalism for the hell of it.

Posted on: 2016/5/12 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/12 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/12 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
That nice looking bike has been sitting there next to the park for a while now, I did think it was inviting trouble.

If possible lock it somewhere closer to your building, or the side fence over by the Citibikes might be better, that way it is not so prominently displayed in the path of young hoodlums walking by.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/5/12 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Powder Blue SS bike at the intersection of Jersey and 8th with both brake lines clipped. The owner locks their bike up correctly with a HD chain lock through both wheels and the frame, so this was clearly vandalism for the hell of it.

Most likely a would be thief got annoyed by the hefty chain thwarting his intentions, so he got even. Or, perhaps the owner really pissed off someone and this was payback. Either way, this is definitely not cool. If it had gone unnoticed, he could have gotten into a nasty accident.

Posted on: 2016/5/12 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/12 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
This is already 245 posts old, and no I didn't read it all. But I'll add one suggestion in case no one else already has.

This is about locks. Specifically the "barrel keyed" type. Like a little round tube with a couple of notches in it. A buddy of mine rode his bike to my house and I commented on his barrel lock being such easy picking it was a joke. He didn't believe me so I went inside, grabbed a plastic drinking straw, and went out and shoved that straw into his lock. Wiggle twice and twist. Lock open in 15 seconds. No tools, no noise-

I'm stunned by the number of fancy bikes I see with $25 locks.
Buy yourself a hardened chain and a good lock with a hardened body and shackle. Yes, it's $80 or so but your daily ride is at stake...

Kryptonite of Ingersoll Rand knew of his and did a recall campaign some years ago. They replaced their U-locks with flat key cylinders.

I had one many years ago but I wasn't made aware of the lack of security until after the one-year (I think) recall period was over. And when I saw the report I tested my own lock and promptly tossed it in the trash. Just a heads-up to anyone who might still have/use one-

Posted on: 2016/4/28 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
This is already 245 posts old, and no I didn't read it all. But I'll add one suggestion in case no one else already has.

This is about locks. Specifically the "barrel keyed" type. Like a little round tube with a couple of notches in it. A buddy of mine rode his bike to my house and I commented on his barrel lock being such easy picking it was a joke. He didn't believe me so I went inside, grabbed a plastic drinking straw, and went out and shoved that straw into his lock. Wiggle twice and twist. Lock open in 15 seconds. No tools, no noise-

Buy yourself a hardened chain and a good lock with a hardened body and shackle. Yes, it's $80 or so but your daily ride is at stake...

Kryptonite of Ingersoll Rand knew of his and did a recall campaign some years ago. They replaced their U-locks with flat key cylinders.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/28 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
What type of lock was used and what was the bike locked to ?

Not sure of the lock - it was attached to the outer metal fence of the school. The poor kid just saved all his money to get that bike, too.

Too bad there wasn't a fund or fund raiser (for kids) for incidents like this. But more so there should be an education on how and what to use in preventing bicycle theft...for all ages.

That's actually a really good idea. You could probably do a YouTube video showing the do's and don'ts to prevent theft.

We're going to do a little fundraiser to see if we can get enough together to get him a new bike. I'm kind of shocked as that area is pretty well-trafficked and safe.

Don't let your guard down anyplace is an opportunity and most times it is done in the obvious, plus who is going to stand up to a thief when it's not their property...especially when it's an inanimate object ?

Posted on: 2016/4/26 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

Not sure of the lock - it was attached to the outer metal fence of the school. The poor kid just saved all his money to get that bike, too.

Too bad there wasn't a fund or fund raiser (for kids) for incidents like this. But more so there should be an education on how and what to use in preventing bicycle theft...for all ages.

That's actually a really good idea. You could probably do a YouTube video showing the do's and don'ts to prevent theft.

We're going to do a little fundraiser to see if we can get enough together to get him a new bike. I'm kind of shocked as that area is pretty well-trafficked and safe.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/26 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/26 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/26 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Between 8:45pm and 9:45pm on Monday night - a new Mongoose brand bicycle was stolen from in front of 180 9th Street across from the Newport Mall. The bicycle was locked and the lock was cut. It was reported to the police.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 14:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 15:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Last night (so late night 4/18, early morning 4/19)

blue/silver Trek 3500, secured via cable lock (now I know...)

https://bikeindex.org/bikes/74046

Posted on: 2016/4/19 15:03

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017