Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
service was altered this weekend - no direct service to Hoboken on the 33rd street line - and once again, passengers on the platform were left in the dark.

no signage. no PA announcements. just the occasional announcement from whichever conductor felt like letting people know.

They could've done a better job, but they had the service change announced on PATH Alerts. Due to their lousy communication, I usually check Path Alerts before I head to the station.

Posted on: 2016/6/13 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
service was altered this weekend - no direct service to Hoboken on the 33rd street line - and once again, passengers on the platform were left in the dark.

no signage. no PA announcements. just the occasional announcement from whichever conductor felt like letting people know.

Posted on: 2016/6/13 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
is there an easy connection between PATH and 1 trains, like the one that existed before 9/11?

Not yet, they haven't finished rebuilding the Cortlandt St. station yet. When they do, it should be an easy transfer.

Posted on: 2016/6/13 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
is there an easy connection between PATH and 1 trains, like the one that existed before 9/11?

Posted on: 2016/6/10 22:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
At least we have a $4,000,000,000 dino carcass to arrive in!

Word. Every time I disembark at WTC I feel like Jonah inside the whale.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:

To me it looks like something created by H.R. Giger's brother (if he had one), who happened to be a lot more bright and cheerful than H.R.with his artwork.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Let's hope we won't have any more weekend WTC PATH signal construction delays...!!

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Ah yes, thank you for refreshing my memory!

Yep, quite a few people expected this to happen when the WTC line was closed.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/10 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Yep, quite a few people expected this to happen when the WTC line was closed.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I thought they had already closed it for the system upgrades a few years ago. Why are they doing it again???

They closed the WTC line on weekends to reinstall upgraded equipment damaged by Sandy, and to finish the installation of PTC.

They're now closing the other tunnel (33rd St) to install new switching equipment.

The new switches are a federal mandate, and will also let them run more trains.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I thought they had already closed it for the system upgrades a few years ago. Why are they doing it again???

They closed the WTC line on weekends to reinstall upgraded equipment damaged by Sandy, and to finish the installation of PTC.

They're now closing the other tunnel (33rd St) to install new switching equipment.

The new switches are a federal mandate, and will also let them run more trains.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 13:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Saw on the news this morning that Path service from Newark to 33rd street starting in August through December will be suspended on the weekends to perform work mandated by the Federal government. Newark to WTC and Hoboken to WTC will still operate normal hours on the weekend.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Subsidized ferry service?

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york- ... ferry-contract-1458175300

Since it's paywalled I didn't read anything but the headline, but I recall from the announcement it was a rather extensive system being proposed. $30m doesn't sound like much in that context. The SI ferry cost NYC DOT $108m to run in 2013, $4.86 per ride.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... and_ferry_costs_taxp.html

Posted on: 2016/6/10 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Subsidized ferry service?

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york- ... ferry-contract-1458175300

Posted on: 2016/6/10 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Why can't they allow bike access through the tunnels

Shockingly, for the same reason they don't just throw a pedestrian and bike bridge over the Hudson. Return...on...investment.

Daily one way car tunnel traffic:~45k
Daily bikes over ALL the East river crossings both ways: 15k
Just the Brooklyn Bridge:2500

So, lets assume we can match the Brooklyn Bridge. You propose the PA give up half it's car capacity for a tiny fraction of that traffic on bikes, and you presumably aren't proposing to pay a $12 toll either. Lord I'm tired of this nonsense coming up again and again. If you insists on powering yourself across the river buy a kayak.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
The Path is marketed as Jersey City's biggest asset. The reality is it is the biggest liability. Why can't they allow bike access through the tunnels to compensate with random searches to keep the so called "terrorist" threat at bay.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 1:30
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is PATH, like so much of mass transit in New Jersey, is hopelessly caught up in the suburban commuter model - daddy with his briefcase going to work and back, and no plans for any other transit modality. Until at least NJ in the orbit of NYC accepts it's part of a 24/7 urban environment, twokhat will never change. We need to get rid of BOTH the current political establishment and PATH/NJT patronage dead wood to affect any changes. Or secede and join NYC.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
the bi-state agency said the improvements will provide PATH riders increased reliability in the future, as well as lay the groundwork for increased passenger capacity.

That's a load of crap, it's safety specific. The work is to prevent a runaway train with a drunk motorman, a response to several commuter train crashes like the Metro North one in the bronx a few years back.

https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0621
In 2008, Congress required railroads install Positive Train Control (PTC) on mainlines that transport any poisonous-inhalation-hazardous (PIH) materials and where regularly scheduled intercity passenger or commuter rail services are provided. PTC uses communication-based/processor-based train control technology that provides a system capable of reliably and functionally preventing train-to-train collisions, overspeed derailments, incursions into established work zone limits, and the movement of a train through a main line switch in the improper position.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I remember once years and years ago seeing a guy asking for money on the PATH. I instantly turned into an 80 year old woman and thought to myself, "Sir, this is the PATH! Show some dignity!"

Also, RIP the PATH. Nice knowing ya. Can we get a "pop up" suspension bridge for this fall? Might as well get your money's worth out of city bike.
Hey that's a good idea. Can we ride our bikes through the tunnel since the train won't be running?

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
It is just one of my pet peeves. I like to be able to read my paper or an article on my phone in peace. Especially when I luck out and get a seat.

At least the guys doing something on the platform I have the option of going to the other end. In the car I am pretty much trapped.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Anyone here noticed an increase in the annoying "entertainers" who suddenly strike up a show for tips? Today I had an off-key doo-wop group and a bunch of guys who tried some sort of dance routine in a rather full car.

Yeah, the doo wop guys aren't bad but I still don't think anyone should have to be subjected to your singing in a small tube. They used to sing everyone once and awhile but I see them on my morning commute at least every week now.

Everyday this week, I've been subjected to the acrobats on my ride into work. I go in around midday, which of course isn't as crowded as rush hour, but it's still standing room only in most cars when the train pulls out of Grove. Anyway, these teens blast their boombox and start doing backflips and gymnastics routines on the bars. One of these days, someone is gonna end up getting kicked in the face. The best part is when they ask for money because "no one got hurt."

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
This news really sucks, and knowing the Port Authority, the closing will last beyond December.

And the trains will be crowded as hell.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
It is just one of my pet peeves. I like to be able to read my paper or an article on my phone in peace. Especially when I luck out and get a seat.

At least the guys doing something on the platform I have the option of going to the other end. In the car I am pretty much trapped.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Anyone here noticed an increase in the annoying "entertainers" who suddenly strike up a show for tips? Today I had an off-key doo-wop group and a bunch of guys who tried some sort of dance routine in a rather full car.

Yeah, the doo wop guys aren't bad but I still don't think anyone should have to be subjected to your singing in a small tube. They used to sing everyone once and awhile but I see them on my morning commute at least every week now.

Totally agree. It's intrusive regardless of their talent.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I thought they had already closed it for the system upgrades a few years ago. Why are they doing it again??? Nice that they are re-introducing weekend HOB to WTC, but it doesn't help JC'ers.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
I havent noticed the entertainers but I gave up on weekend Path service and just drive in now. Not everyone has the luxury of just driving in. The weekend service is so bad as it is.

There is always the NY Waterway weekend ferry service, which is $4. The Liberty Landing Ferry charges full rate on weekends, but they allow dogs and bikes free of charge, so there is always that option.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Timely observation, indeed. Just the other day, three dudes busted onto a car screaming "you know what time it is? Party time..." and started to do a stupid routine hanging and dancing from the poles, and walking along the inside of the roof of the car, and then silly once moves with baseball caps. It went on for at least five minutes. The funniest part was that some woman in the car seemed on the verge of a heart attack watching the kids bust out their moves. The PATH used to be relatively quiet (a welcome respite when compared to the MTA subway) and I hope the PA Police puts a stop to this soon.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 22:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
I havent noticed the entertainers but I gave up on weekend Path service and just drive in now. Not everyone has the luxury of just driving in. The weekend service is so bad as it is.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
To be honest, that line has been garbage on weekends since they started routing it through Hoboken. The time difference will be negligible if the shuttles are running frequently or if you want to drop the additional $2.75 to ride a subway.

The real kicker here is that there is no mention of an increased frequency in service on the NWK-WTC line. That line currently runs every 20 mins during peak hours and all the way up to 35 mins during overnight hours.

JSQ-33rd via HOB runs every 10 mins during peak hours and again up to 35 mins during late nights.

With no increased frequency, those trains are going to be a nightmare all summer long. Sorry, tourists who thought you were on the up and up getting a cheaper hotel in JC and into Manhattan in a timely and comfortable manner.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:45

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017