Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Why are almost half of Fulop's meeting hidden?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Open and transparent admin just like Obama remember that campaign promise?

Yes Comrade 135jc! I remember OBAMA - he was NO GOOD!

Lucky for us now Steve Bannon in charge!

Posted on: 2017/2/7 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Open and transparent admin just like Obama remember that campaign promise?

Posted on: 2017/2/7 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop's calendar can stay private, state panel says

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on February 07, 2017 at 8:28 AM, updated February 07, 2017 at 10:50 AM

JERSEY CITY -- Mayor Steve Fulop can continue to shield his meetings calendar from public view, thanks to a decision by the state Government Records Council.

At its meeting Jan. 31 in Trenton, the GRC decided that the Fulop administration lawfully denied access to the mayor's calendar when this reporter filed a public-records request in 2015 seeking a copy of it. The GRC based its decision on prior cases involving calendars of a Middlesex County official and Gov. Chris Christie.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... endar_can_stay_priva.html

Posted on: 2017/2/7 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

N.J. agency questions whether Jersey City can keep mayor's calendar secret

on May 30, 2016 at 3:00 AM

A state body that resolves disputes involving New Jersey's public-records law this week questioned Jersey City's attempts to shield Mayor Steve Fulop's meetings calendar from public view.

The Government Records Council voted to order Jersey City to deliver unredacted copies of the mayor's calendar to it, so the agency can inspect them to determine if the city violated the state Open Public Records Act when it denied this reporter's request for the document.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... questions_whether_je.html

Posted on: 2016/5/31 5:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Thank God for Terrence McDonald and the Jersey Journal doing what the press should do, holding government accountable.

What remains to be seen is whether an entry on the calendar that shows the mayor's meeting meeting with a vendor or developer will qualify as exempt private or "ACD" material. Hopefully not, but you never know.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

on May 26, 2016 at 5:03 PM, updated May 26, 2016 at 6:48 PM

A state body that resolves disputes involving New Jersey's public-records law this week questioned Jersey City's attempts to shield Mayor Steve Fulop's meetings calendar from public view.

The Government Records Council on Tuesday voted to order Jersey City to deliver unredacted copies of the mayor's calendar to the GRC so the agency can inspect them to determine if the city violated the state Open Public Records Act when it denied this reporter's request for the document. The city has five days to comply.

The GRC was not persuaded by the city's argument that Fulop's calendar, overseen by a City Hall employee who makes $97,375 and doubles as Fulop's campaign treasurer, is exempt from OPRA because it is "advisory, consultative, or deliberative" in nature. The city also argued that releasing the calendar would have "deleterious effects" by violating the privacy of Fulop and the people who meet with him.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... withholding_mayors_c.html

Posted on: 2016/5/27 20:09

Re: N.J. agency questions whether Jersey City can keep mayor's calendar secret
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
When this issue first came up, I had a long exchange with the Mayor after I criticized him in the Jersey Journal. He felt that it was unfair to force him to go through 1600 entries and try to classify which were of a personal nature and which were city business. (I'm not sure he even understood that much of what he redacted might have been legitimately shielded by "executive privilege" which protects from disclosure certain communications related to the executive function.) What I tried to impress upon him was that a meeting with a vendor of copy machines would NOT be shielded from disclosure -- as opposed to someone giving him advice on a political or policy issue. I encouraged him to get out front of this issue and create a new standard of transparency. Obviously, he chose not to take my advice.

It's very comforting to all knowing Steve's political advisors are posting on the formidable JC List.

So where is the best blew cheese burger downtown ?

Posted on: 2016/5/27 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
When this issue first came up, I had a long exchange with the Mayor after I criticized him in the Jersey Journal. He felt that it was unfair to force him to go through 1600 entries and try to classify which were of a personal nature and which were city business. (I'm not sure he even understood that much of what he redacted might have been legitimately shielded by "executive privilege" which protects from disclosure certain communications related to the executive function.) What I tried to impress upon him was that a meeting with a vendor of copy machines would NOT be shielded from disclosure -- as opposed to someone giving him advice on a political or policy issue. I encouraged him to get out front of this issue and create a new standard of transparency. Obviously, he chose not to take my advice.

Fulop has a long history of not separating his business and personal lives. Its easy to create 2 dang calendars in Google and overlay them. Its NOT hard - and he uses Google to manage his calendars. Not like he's on Outlook or anything...He knows this and is making excuses.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 13:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/27 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I'm thinking Fulop will pull a Nixon before he ever releases unredacted calendars that show exactly who he's been meeting with (aka who owns him).

Do you think he would release his tax returns?

The only people who would be interested in Fulop's tax returns are those who want to see him defeated.

On the other hand, I'd bet good money that people of all political leanings would want to see the list of visitors that Fulop has spent years (likely) illegally trying to conceal. After all, it's always insightful to see who a politician's true owners are.

Tax returns reveal this too..

There's a reason some people don't want to share them

Posted on: 2016/5/27 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I'm thinking Fulop will pull a Nixon before he ever releases unredacted calendars that show exactly who he's been meeting with (aka who owns him).

The only people who would be interested in Fulop's tax returns are those who want to see him defeated.

On the other hand, I'd bet good money that people of all political leanings would want to see the list of visitors that Fulop has spent years (likely) illegally trying to conceal. After all, it's always insightful to see who a politician's true owners are.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/26 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/26 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Time for him (the mayor) to resign. Bad road maintenance, deplorable city services, bankrupt budget, low manpower, police department lacking in money and officers, just to name a few.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 22:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop is becoming the worst. I'm ashamed I once supported him. He's probably going to blame this on Chris Christie using government resources to attack him.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
on May 26, 2016 at 5:03 PM, updated May 26, 2016 at 5:40 PM

The Government Records Council on Tuesday voted to order Jersey City to deliver unredacted copies of the mayor's calendar to the GRC so the agency can inspect them to determine if the city violated the state Open Public Records Act when it denied this reporter's request for the document. The city has five days to comply.

More - Including Link to GRC Findings

Posted on: 2016/5/26 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Mayor Fulop not releasing meeting calendar

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on September 21, 2015 at  7:03 AM

JERSEY CITY -- Mayor Steve Fulop is blocking release of his meetings calendar because he has an expectation of privacy and shouldn't have to document "every minute" of his time, his spokesman said.

The Jersey Journal in May requested a copy of Fulop's meetings calendar — which lists all of his public appearances, meetings and scheduled phone calls. Instead, the city has provided copies of his public schedule, which includes only public events like ribbon-cuttings and groundbreakings. 

"We think what we gave you both responds to the request and is consistent with the law," spokesman Ryan Jacobs said in an email. "And after review, we also believe it's consistent with what all other public officials release when they receive similar requests."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_mayor_wants_to_kee.html

Posted on: 2015/9/21 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, there was no final agreement because all the Feds offered were low cost loan guarantees, not funding-and NY wasn't offering a red cent re:overruns.

And this was after Christie gave them more time to come up with cost overrun solutions that would share the exposure beyond NJ taxpayers.

And you know what? After making that decision he won re-election, in a blue state, by a landslide.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... _nj_arc_tunnel_proje.html

Posted on: 2014/3/21 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Hypocrisy is...

...And we can argue about the tunnel to Macy's basement all day long-the facts have proved that NJ, and NJ alone, would have been responsible for the many, many billions of dollars in cost overruns.

I know this thread is way off topic, but since you're providing a few examples of hypocrisy, well...

Concealing the truth that ?there was no final agreement by all the parties on the issue of responsibility for ARC cost growth,? as concluded by the federal Government Accountability Office is called deceit, and claiming that the responsibility would solely have fallen upon New Jersey is called a lie. This fact cannot be honestly disputed by the Governor, nor the constituents he strives to manipulate for his own gain.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
ok, its quite obvious you must be working for Christie in some capacity and you see Fulop as a direct threat to your employer as you ALWAYS seem to comment and 'protect' christie on every knucklehead thing he does.

Nah, but I love holding the mirror up for hypocrites so they can see themselves.

What do you feel about Fulop keeping almost half his daily appointments hidden from the public who pay his salary, especially in light of his claims to run a transparent City Hall?

What hypocrisy? I for one am willing to cut Fulop a lot more slack, as "bridgegate" and the decision to kill the ARC Tunnel convinced me Governor Christie doesn't have our best interests at heart. That's about trust.

Fulop, on the other hand, is off to a promising start, and I'm willing to accept the need for some private meetings to promulgate policy.

I do think he suffers from the same hubris as the larger political leadership body, which is a tendency to overuse the "security" / "need-to-know" angle, and I'll be keeping a an eye on the policies coming out of his office to justify my support and trust.

Hypocrisy is putting a truck traffic stop to slow commerce from a Port Authority site, directly-then mewling over Christie allegedly doing something similar.

Hypocrisy is campaigning on 'transparency', then being scolded by the ACLU, Civic JC, Jersey Journal, and the Star Ledger editorial board for the lack thereof.

And we can argue about the tunnel to Macy's basement all day long-the facts have proved that NJ, and NJ alone, would have been responsible for the many, many billions of dollars in cost overruns. This was unacceptable to NJ taxpayers, and is one reason why, after that decision, Christie won a landslide victory.

Let's see our Senator's in DC bring back some pork for extending the Light Rail though. Go Booker and Menendez!

Posted on: 2014/3/20 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
ok, its quite obvious you must be working for Christie in some capacity and you see Fulop as a direct threat to your employer as you ALWAYS seem to comment and 'protect' christie on every knucklehead thing he does.

Nah, but I love holding the mirror up for hypocrites so they can see themselves.

What do you feel about Fulop keeping almost half his daily appointments hidden from the public who pay his salary, especially in light of his claims to run a transparent City Hall?

What hypocrisy? I for one am willing to cut Fulop a lot more slack, as "bridgegate" and the decision to kill the ARC Tunnel convinced me Governor Christie doesn't have our best interests at heart. That's about trust.

Fulop, on the other hand, is off to a promising start, and I'm willing to accept the need for some private meetings to promulgate policy.

I do think he suffers from the same hubris as the larger political leadership body, which is a tendency to overuse the "security" / "need-to-know" angle, and I'll be keeping a an eye on the policies coming out of his office to justify my support and trust.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
But now that he's in office Fulop is a benevolent, God-like creature who can do no wrong. Can't you haters see that? Oh yeah, almost forgot, the other side is worse...

Quote:
After some pressure from The Jersey Journal, the city re-released four pages of the mayor?s schedule with seven fewer items blacked out. What was learned is that Fulop had a lunch date with state Sen. Ray Lesniak, whose law firm has won two no-bid contracts with the city...
The city spokesman called those redactions ?inadvertent.?

Posted on: 2014/3/20 12:17

Editorial: Fulop fails transparency test
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Editorial: Fulop fails transparency test

The phrase ?transparency in government? is often used in election campaign promises, meaning voters would have an easier time understanding what their public officials are doing. It is meant to provide accountability, making it possible to shine a light on the people?s business. In the case of the administration of Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, no one thought that ?transparency? meant the mayor would be invisible.

On Jan. 10, The Jersey Journal requested copies of Fulop?s daily schedule since the start of his term in office. After a period involving a couple of deadline extensions, the city made documents available on Feb. 19. There are 1,465 entries on the mayor?s daily itinerary with 605 of them, 41 percent, redacted from public view.

In his Monday article, Journal reporter Terrence McDonald wrote: ? . . . It goes on like this. For every handful of unredacted items ? ribbon cuttings, meetings with City Council members, media appearances (123 of those) ? a few more are withheld from public view.

?City attorneys charged with redacting the schedule were particularly busy with their black markers for Fulop?s three-day stint at the League of Municipalities convention in Atlantic City. From Nov. 19 through Nov. 21, he had 39 items on his schedule. All but four are blacked out . . .?

After some pressure from The Jersey Journal, the city re-released four pages of the mayor?s schedule with seven fewer items blacked out. What was learned is that Fulop had a lunch date with state Sen. Ray Lesniak, whose law firm has won two no-bid contracts with the city; Hudson County Sheriff Frank X. Schillari held a luau-themed fundraiser in Secaucus; and meetings at the League of Municipalities convention, including a sit-down with state Sen. Stephen Sweeney, who is seen as a Fulop rival for the Democratic Party candidacy for governor. The city spokesman called those redactions ?inadvertent.?

Some redactions are defended as protecting citizens who have met with the mayor and expect some privacy in their dealings. Legally, city officials say they can only provide information about meetings with elected officials, government employees or for public events, and the city is within its rights to redact meetings that helped shape public policy.

Aaron Morrill, attorney and co-founder of the good-government group Civic JC, a nonprofit that worked with then-Councilman Fulop to pass the city?s first pay-to-play ordinance, said of the mayor?s schedule, ?Jersey City residents should have some idea of what their mayor does during the day, what issues he is working on and who he is meeting with. We expected more transparency from the mayor.?

As for the second release of documents, the Civic JC founder said: ?This points to the fundamental problem of allowing the official in question to make the redactions. It?s the fox guarding the henhouse. I think their ?un-redacting? the League appointments suggests that there are more improper redactions.?

The Jersey Journal believes the censorship has become so bureaucratic and, yes, subjective that it is difficult to believe the administration?s claim of transparency. It could be argued that this censorship has been of greater use in the early stages of this administration than practiced by previous local governments. There is a sense that the city gatekeepers of information are more disposed to the heavy handed use of black ink to protect secrets, political images and potential leaks by wrapping themselves in the cloak of legal interpretation rather than embracing every man?s vision of open government.

Black markers are not just rampaging in the city?s executive office, but are flourishing in the Public Safety Department, where decisions on what to blackout are almost comical. The practice in this environment deserves its own future editorial.

Information empowers the public as a partner in government. The mayor?s tweeting should not be the source of public disclosure. The administration can still pull back the veil and give residents a better look. It can start by publicly providing a daily mayoral schedule, at least on the city?s home website. Discussion on what is or not being posted can then begin.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And the Star Ledger editorial board add their two cents on the lack of transparency of the Fulop regime

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... html#incart_river_default

Posted on: 2014/3/20 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Ed Barocas, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey, thinks transparency issues trump privacy concerns in the case of an elected official?s calendar, especially if the meetings with private citizens involve discussion of public interest. I agree with this statement.

And then there's this, from the same article: "Barocas noted that New Jersey courts have sided with privacy over transparency, as in a 2005 case concerning the appointment book for a Middlesex County attorney."

Posted on: 2014/3/18 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Ed Barocas, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey, thinks transparency issues trump privacy concerns in the case of an elected official?s calendar, especially if the meetings with private citizens involve discussion of public interest. I agree with this statement.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I believe it's very bad when we get a guy like Fulop or Booker that is clearly focused on personal ambitions above the well being of their constituents.

Whatever, dude.

There is nothing wrong with being ambitious. In fact, not only do most candidates for higher office will have to work their way up the ladder, most elected offices have term limits precisely to avoid having the same person in office for too long.

I'd also say that mayors who are "lifers" don't automatically do a good job. E.g. Sharpe James, who was without doubt a "lifer" in his elected position, loaded up Newark's government offices with cronies and was busted for corruption.

Ultimately, it's a ridiculous complaint, and a largely ineffective one to boot. Either he does a good job, or he doesn't. If he doesn't, then don't vote for him. End of story.

Quote:
Another harm is they place their campaign donors who will finance their higher office run above the people.

As opposed to being beholden only to local donors?

Posted on: 2014/3/18 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
People on this board have asked, so what if Fulop plans on running for governor and only plans on serving one term? What's the harm? At least that way he will have to do something good for the city.

I believe it's very bad when we get a guy like Fulop or Booker that is clearly focused on personal ambitions above the well being of their constituents. What happens is they spend very little time at the job, running their city, and most of their time out of city on the campaign circuit, raising money, meeting with donors, etc. Another harm is they place their campaign donors who will finance their higher office run above the people. This is what Fulop is trying with the EMS contract.

It is not the worst case scenario because they are not actively corrupt. But in the end they don't really do much meaningful good, just some minor superficial resume boosters meant to be trumpeted on their campaign mailers (lowered taxes 2%).

With that said, this thread was started by Monroe in a laughable attempt to deflect from the fact that Christie is circling the toilet. Fulop may not be perfect, but he's 100x the man Christie is.

I reported on the article by the Jersey Journal, as reported on nj.com. Are you saying that the Jersey Journal and nj.com are carrying water for Christie??

Posted on: 2014/3/18 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I wonder if all of these redactions includes names of those who got no bid city contracts.

Well, one of the few redactions 'unredacted' was a meeting with Senator and law firm partner Ray Lesniak, whose law firm has received no-bid contracts from Fulop.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
People on this board have asked, so what if Fulop plans on running for governor and only plans on serving one term? What's the harm? At least that way he will have to do something good for the city.

I believe it's very bad when we get a guy like Fulop or Booker that is clearly focused on personal ambitions above the well being of their constituents. What happens is they spend very little time at the job, running their city, and most of their time out of city on the campaign circuit, raising money, meeting with donors, etc. Another harm is they place their campaign donors who will finance their higher office run above the people. This is what Fulop is trying with the EMS contract.

It is not the worst case scenario because they are not actively corrupt. But in the end they don't really do much meaningful good, just some minor superficial resume boosters meant to be trumpeted on their campaign mailers (lowered taxes 2%).

With that said, this thread was started by Monroe in a laughable attempt to deflect from the fact that Christie is circling the toilet. Fulop may not be perfect, but he's 100x the man Christie is.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 15:03

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017