Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: The Draper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Well.... that was a short lived experiment. Brian has done great in JC all these years. I wonder what went wrong this time. The Gastropub was actually pretty good, and it seemed like a good fit for the neighborhood, certainly better than when it was York Street Tavern, which was also fun (and great for cheap, happy hour) but probably not the best of neighborhood fixtures. Kinda sad to see that space go bust.

Gastropub had good food, but the drinks were terrible, and when they reopened as The Draper, the drinks didn't improve. I suspect that they tried to operate a cocktail bar without the expert in mixology needed to actually stand out as such. Archer had Natalie Jacob, Dullboy had the guys from The Garrett...

You are definitely right about that. I never bothered ordering drinks at Gastropub, and instead always chose to order a beer. But, if cocktails were what you wanted there, you were out of luck for sure.

Posted on: 2016/6/8 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Well.... that was a short lived experiment. Brian has done great in JC all these years. I wonder what went wrong this time. The Gastropub was actually pretty good, and it seemed like a good fit for the neighborhood, certainly better than when it was York Street Tavern, which was also fun (and great for cheap, happy hour) but probably not the best of neighborhood fixtures. Kinda sad to see that space go bust.

Gastropub had good food, but the drinks were terrible, and when they reopened as The Draper, the drinks didn't improve. I suspect that they tried to operate a cocktail bar without the expert in mixology needed to actually stand out as such. Archer had Natalie Jacob, Dullboy had the guys from The Garrett...

Posted on: 2016/6/8 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Closed permanently for sure. I heard they have a buyer

Posted on: 2016/6/7 13:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Closed permanently for sure. I heard they have a buyer

Posted on: 2016/6/7 11:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/13 3:14
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know if the Draper is closed permanently?

Posted on: 2016/6/6 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Price dropped to 450k. No way that's for the property, just the business. Looks like they're trying to get a free business listing under Trulia.

Posted on: 2016/5/11 15:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Looked at the listing; it's for Lisbon II restaurant. If the going rate for a liquor license in JC is 250k, you're paying 200k for the buildout. I wonder how much the rent is?
Listening to NPR yesterday, they covered how New Jersey has the distinction of having the highest taxes in all the land, and the most archaic liquor laws, from Prohibition and WW II.
I wonder if they'll ever pass that beer and wine license provision?

Posted on: 2016/5/11 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Is The Draper for sale?

This extremely confusing Trulia listing suggests that you can buy the location and the liquor license for $550k. Then again, they also have it listed as a condo...

$550k also seems super cheap given some of the discussions on other threads about how much it costs to obtain a new one in this town and how much Guillo's wants for his...

I was walking down York St. in the last couple of weeks and saw a sign on the street about the restaurant/liquor license for sale. It seemed to be for Lisbon Restaurant.

I can't say that's certain, but it's certainly how it appeared to me.

Posted on: 2016/5/11 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is The Draper for sale?

This extremely confusing Trulia listing suggests that you can buy the location and the liquor license for $550k. Then again, they also have it listed as a condo...

$550k also seems super cheap given some of the discussions on other threads about how much it costs to obtain a new one in this town and how much Guillo's wants for his...

Posted on: 2016/5/10 20:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 23:06
Group:
Registered Users
I tried the Draper earlier this week and my experience was far from all the 5 star yelp reviews that this thread pointed out. I really wanted to like it and have another great JC place to support but unfortunately they dropped the ball too many times. I have posted my yelp review about the experience and hope that others have a much better time when they check it out.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
I suggested Pint earlier up thread and the post mysteriously disappeared.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 5:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/30 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Well bodhipooh you named a restaurant that happens to have a couple of beer taps (Skinners), so I guess I'm counting restaurants that happen to serve cocktails :) Although there are plenty of places I'd consider cocktail bars to varying degrees:

- Dullboy
- The Archer
- The Draper
- Third and Vine (wine bar/cocktail bar)
- South House (def more bar than restaurant, and the only thing they specialize in is cocktails - certainly not beer, by any means - terrible tap list)
- LITM - more cocktail bar than any other type of bar
- Union Republic (yes this one is restaurant first, cocktail bar second)

For beer bars, I'll revise my statement a bit ... I'm referring to American craft beer/microbrews. There are very few that offer anything unique. Barcade is one, and really the only "good" one.

Hopscotch ... I was there last Friday ... it IS actually a decent taplist, but oh my goodness the vibe in there has to be the worst out of any bar in JC. It felt like a Longhorn Steakhouse meets TGI Fridays, meets weird sports lounge. Good concept with all the taps, but really depressing vibe which to me, vibe is a huge part of the experience, so it really kills it for me.

Iron Monkey -- they do have a LOT of beer. But it's not curated that well; rather, they have a lot of really weird stuff that is generally bad. Secondly, and most importantly, they never clean their tap lines, which leads to beer that tastes awful very often. Thirdly, they burn through bartenders, and NONE of the bartenders I've ever had there know anything whatsoever about beer. I mean nothing. That in and of itself makes it not a proper beer bar. Like Hopscotch ... good concept, very poorly executed. Wish somebody would buy that place, keep a similar concept, but execute it with better beers, cleaner tap lines, and just hire a few people who know a thing or two about beer. It really can't be that hard.

Skinners - very few taps, and I've never seen anything that's recognized as above average beer, on tap there.

I'll add that aside from Barcade, White Star in Hamilton Park usually has a pretty good taplist, although not huge. I wouldn't consider it a "beer bar", but it's acceptable as a beer drinking bar, and the vibe in there is pretty great.

What about Pint, though? They've got a TON of rotating local craft beers.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

On the Yelp tip, William D. from Oyster Bay, Long Island, loved the Draper! lol...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-draper-jersey-city-3

Anyone make it to the red-carpet gala event?

http://www.chicpeajc.com/food/drinks/the-draper-jersey-city/

So many authentic and sincere reviews to choose from! The Draper looks so thirsty.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

On the Yelp tip, William D. from Oyster Bay, Long Island, loved the Draper! lol...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-draper-jersey-city-3

Anyone make it to the red-carpet gala event?

http://www.chicpeajc.com/food/drinks/the-draper-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/8 18:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/4 14:17
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
It was nice to try something new in the neighborhood. I stuck with the HX cocktail which is basically vodka and ice wine. It was really good. My friend couldn't get enough of their Pigs on the Wing cocktail. The space was really nice and we spent a bit of time in the game room downstairs playing pool. Our bartender was really sweet and overall it was a cool vibe. I plan on heading back for dinner next time.

Posted on: 2016/3/7 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I will have to check out The Draper but, based on your previous post, my expectations are tempered.

I don't really get why Brian didn't hire a cocktail consultant for this. Like, he made such a smart move pairing up with the people from The Garret to get Dullboy off the ground, was it just hubris that cause him to open this place without anyone who really knows cocktails?

Posted on: 2016/2/29 22:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The pics of The Draper look nice. Weird name (reminds me of Don Draper, how could it not). I know it is supposed to mean something else though.

You know, I feel that there is a bit of a saturation of "cocktail lounges" in downtown JC. Meanwhile only one real proper craft beer bar (Barcade). Somebody stands to make a lot of money if they open a nice looking chill space with 15-20 very solid tap lines. It kind of doesn't exist here (Barcade is great but not really "chill" unless off-peak hours).

HopsScotch (even though it's kitchy and the food is hit or miss) has an amazing taps list and an even more impressive bottle list.

Iron Monkey also has a serious tap list.

Hopsscotch is great with its selection of beer and spirits, but the vibe needs a total makeover. Even (or especially) the yellow staggered lettering and the dusty beer and spirit bottles in the windows, the drawn shades. Nice owner/manager and great selection, food's just fine. It's the chick in the 90s movie who just needs to take her glasses off and put in contacts to be the one you were looking for the entire time.
That being said I like that it's half full most of the time, instead of brimming with the usual weekend mutants.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Well bodhipooh you named a restaurant that happens to have a couple of beer taps (Skinners), so I guess I'm counting restaurants that happen to serve cocktails :) Although there are plenty of places I'd consider cocktail bars to varying degrees:

- Dullboy
- The Archer
- The Draper
- South House (def more bar than restaurant, and the only thing they specialize in is cocktails - certainly not beer, by any means - terrible tap list)

For beer bars, I'll revise my statement a bit ... I'm referring to American craft beer/microbrews. There are very few that offer anything unique. Barcade is one, and really the only "good" one.

Hopscotch ... I was there last Friday ... it IS actually a decent taplist, but oh my goodness the vibe in there has to be the worst out of any bar in JC. It felt like a Longhorn Steakhouse meets TGI Fridays, meets weird sports lounge. Good concept with all the taps, but really depressing vibe which to me, vibe is a huge part of the experience, so it really kills it for me.

Iron Monkey -- they do have a LOT of beer. But it's not curated that well; rather, they have a lot of really weird stuff that is generally bad. Secondly, and most importantly, they never clean their tap lines, which leads to beer that tastes awful very often. Thirdly, they burn through bartenders, and NONE of the bartenders I've ever had there know anything whatsoever about beer. I mean nothing. That in and of itself makes it not a proper beer bar. Like Hopscotch ... good concept, very poorly executed. Wish somebody would buy that place, keep a similar concept, but execute it with better beers, cleaner tap lines, and just hire a few people who know a thing or two about beer. It really can't be that hard.

Skinners - very few taps, and I've never seen anything that's recognized as above average beer, on tap there.

I'll add that aside from Barcade, White Star in Hamilton Park usually has a pretty good taplist, although not huge. I wouldn't consider it a "beer bar", but it's acceptable as a beer drinking bar, and the vibe in there is pretty great.

We definitely agree on the list of places... :)

Archer and Dullboy stand out as cocktail dens, for sure. I am not sure why I have a hard time thinking of LITM as a cocktail place. Something about it makes me think of it as just a bar with cocktails. But, I definitely agree with your long standing view that we have too many bars masquerading as restaurants due to existing laws.

As for tap lines, that is a common issue in JC. It is the same with the Zepp, which I continue to like despite that.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

- Dullboy
- The Archer
- The Draper

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The pics of The Draper look nice. Weird name (reminds me of Don Draper, how could it not). I know it is supposed to mean something else though.

You know, I feel that there is a bit of a saturation of "cocktail lounges" in downtown JC. Meanwhile only one real proper craft beer bar (Barcade). Somebody stands to make a lot of money if they open a nice looking chill space with 15-20 very solid tap lines. It kind of doesn't exist here (Barcade is great but not really "chill" unless off-peak hours).

HopsScotch (even though it's kitchy and the food is hit or miss) has an amazing taps list and an even more impressive bottle list.

Add to the list Skinner's Loft, which also has some really great beers on tap, including a good selection of Unibroe drafts.

Interesting take/opinion by tommyc_37. I find JC is well covered in terms of beer places. As far as cocktails, I can only think of two places that are true cocktail dens, with the rest being restaurants that happen to serve cocktails. I will have to check out The Draper but, based on your previous post, my expectations are tempered.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 17:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like a very similar menu to Park & Sixth.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/26 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Early feedback has been had - stopped by, had a few of their signature cocktails last night. Potential is there, but The Archer or Dullboy (or even the cocktail program at South House or Union Republic) it is not. Drinks were a little simple in flavor, a little too sweet, and one had to wade through an astonishing number of vodka drinks to even find cocktails worth trying. The bartender was happy that we were trying the signature cocktails, mentioned few other people were doing so - I suspect the vodka-fest might contribute to that. Vodka is easy-mode, let's show some skill.

The space was nice, though, both the bar in front and the lounge in back. I won't return immediately, but I'll give them a few weeks to find their legs and make some tweaks.

For some perspective, though, Dullboy started slow as well - my first cocktails there were off-balance and overattenuated, but after a bit of experimentation, they found their legs and are doing awesome things. I hope The Draper can do the same.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Trying something new usually means higher prices. I never understood it. Personally I would visit a moderately priced place many times more than an expensive place

Why don't people understand that what is "expensive" to some, is "moderate" or "cheap" to others?

Any case, I assume this change came from the fact that Dullboy is packed and Gastropub was always empty (I assume because the cocktails were atrocious and the food/beer was mediocre), so he took a page out of the Dead Rabbit's playbook and put a pub in one part of the space and a cocktail lounge in another. I don't see why he'd make it more expensive than Dullboy, given the success he's found there. I just hope he brings some of the bartenders from Dullboy in, if only as consultants, to build an equally interesting drink menu.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

jccocktailnerd wrote:
Has anyone been to the new Park & Sixth location / have any early feedback? Looks like they opened sometime last week...

Please tell us more, is there any inside info you'd like to share?

ha.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 8:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they keep the fried cheesestake app

Posted on: 2016/2/20 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Trying something new usually means higher prices. I never understood it. Personally I would visit a moderately priced place many times more than an expensive place

Posted on: 2016/2/20 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Is THAT what happened, they changed the Washington Street location to The Draper? I walked by there the other day and was thoroughly confused, and even thought I was on the wrong street (yes, I am easily confused).

Yeah. Still the same owner (Brian) but he decided to try a new concept. The Gastropub was good, but I felt it was missing a little something. I have been wanting to check out this new place since it opened last week. Maybe this weekend.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 17:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017