Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Authenticating a notarized document
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I got everything done today!!! Just want to post a quick update if anyone's interested or will be doing something similar:

- I did the notary in NYC, at a bank (as suggested below) - fast and smooth, and saved a few bucks!

- Since I "executed" my power of attorney in NYC, I was able to go to NYC County Clerk (60 Center Str) and did the apostille at NYS DOS (123 williams Str). Took me about 3.5 hours - and that's only because I needed to visit each place twice. If I have everything with me, it probably would have taken less time. Both places were very well organized and used to dealing with crowds, so the lines were moving pretty fast. $3 per document (cash or credit accepted).

- For NYS DOS (dept of State) - make sure to bring personal check or money order. They don't take cash or credit cards. There's a post office to get money order about 2 blocks from there on John Str. $10 per document.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks @Annod!

Posted on: 2016/5/5 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
If you are not familiar with Chinatown, try the Buy-Rite Pharmacy. They have several stores.

https://www.facebook.com/BuyRitePharmacy1/info?tab=overview

Notary public are in some stores like travel agencies.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks @annod - I think that's what I'll do - ask a local notary public in NYC and see what they know.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know anything about this except what I find on the internet. Can you go to Chinatown, find a Notary Public or lawyer or banker and ask him?

---------------

All other documents (such as a power of attorney) must first be notarized. The notary's signature must then be certified at the County Clerk's office where the notary is qualified.

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/apostille.html

Posted on: 2016/5/4 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the replies - I appreciate everyone taking the time out. however, at this point, I'm asking a slightly difference question than my original question.

Original question is how to get an apostille for a power of attorney to be used overseas (China, specifically). I've read thru all the pointers and understand this is that I need to do:
1. Get the document notarized by a pubic notary;
2. Get the notarized document approved/authenticated by the County Clerk (to verify that the notary public is a properly registered as a "notary public")
3. Then get the document approved/authenticated by the State department (the "apostille")
4. Then get the document authenticated (may not be using the prope word/term here) by the chinese embassy in NYC

My question *now* is: since I live in NJ, do I have to do the entire process in the State of New Jersey (my state of residence), or can I do it in NY?

In other words - does my state of residence dictate where I can do apostille?

If possible, I'd like to do it in NY because I can do the apostille part in person in downtown NYC. If I do it in NJ, I need to mail it in and wait for it to come back. I've read through the NJ and NY government apostille related pages, and nowhere noted whether I could/could not do that - but it's possible that I may have missed it during my research.

I can go ask an attorney about this, but to me this question doesn't seem to warrant going that far. Perhaps I'm wrong???

@Annod - (1) Yes, for the apostille, I need to get it from the Department of State. NY has a location near chinatown, where NJ's is in Trenton)
(2) I've read that part before (your second posting), but my understanding is that "public documents" meant documents such as birth certs, marriage certs, and such - anything issued by the government. Power of Attorney is not specifically mentioned, so that's why I'm not sure if I can do it in NY or not.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
A lawyer is a good idea.

------------------------------

This is New York State:

Authentication of Public Documents:

When a document is to be used in a foreign country, it may be necessary to have the document authenticated. An authentication certifies the signature and the capacity of the official who has executed the document. The authentication may also authenticate the seal of the official.

The New York Secretary of State authenticates public documents for use in foreign countries. Only public documents issued in New York State which are signed by either a State Official or a County Clerk will be authenticated. The country of destination determines whether the authentication is in the form of an "Apostille" or a "Certificate of Authentication."

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/apostille.html

Posted on: 2016/5/4 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Quote:
SRhia wrote:
Can I notarize and get state authentication of documents in any state, or only in the state that I live in?

Are you sure you don't need the State Department, and not the State of New Jersey or the State of New York?

Travel.State.Gov Office of Authentications
https://travel.state.gov/content/trave ... e-of-authentications.html

Authentications and Apostilles
https://travel.state.gov/content/trave ... ication-of-documents.html

I posted the same links back in September of last year. I get that the OP is a little lost, but it seems like we keep providing answers that go unheeded. At this point, I think 07310 has it right: probably best to go see an attorney if our answers are not satisfying the OP.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
SRhia wrote:
Can I notarize and get state authentication of documents in any state, or only in the state that I live in?

Are you sure you don't need the State Department, and not the State of New Jersey or the State of New York?

Travel.State.Gov Office of Authentications
https://travel.state.gov/content/trave ... e-of-authentications.html

Authentications and Apostilles
https://travel.state.gov/content/trave ... ication-of-documents.html

Posted on: 2016/5/3 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I understand the local bank does it for free.

The problem for me is that I also need to get it authenticated by the state (which then I need to authenticate again at my country's consulate!!!). If I do it in JC, I'll need to mail it in to Trenton (and wait for them to mail it back), whereas if I notarize it in NYC, then I can go to the state office in lower Manhattan in person (and skip all the mailing).

Decisions decisions decisions...

Perhaps what you need is the advice of an attorney specializing in international contracts not opinions of non attorneys on the internet. This person could also review the document for any potential problems.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I guess in other words, my question is:

Does anyone know?

TIA.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I understand the local bank does it for free.

The problem for me is that I also need to get it authenticated by the state (which then I need to authenticate again at my country's consulate!!!). If I do it in JC, I'll need to mail it in to Trenton (and wait for them to mail it back), whereas if I notarize it in NYC, then I can go to the state office in lower Manhattan in person (and skip all the mailing).

Decisions decisions decisions...

Posted on: 2016/5/3 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Your local bank does this free of charge!

Posted on: 2016/5/3 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I've done it in New York City, but not for a foreign property.

When I was living in Canada and I had to notarized something for the U.S., I had to go to the U.S. Consulate and have them notarized it.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Sort of a separate question: If I live in Jersey City, can I notarize a power of attorney (for a foreign real estate property), can I do it in NYC, or do I have to do it in NJ?

TIA.

A properly licensed notary can legally witness the signing of a document. That's all a notarization is, really.

To more directly answer your question, I have had many documents notarized in NYC (at local Chase branches) and I have been a JC resident for 10 years. There is no geographical restrictions on who can/should notarize a document.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sort of a separate question: If I live in Jersey City, can I notarize a power of attorney (for a foreign real estate property), can I do it in NYC, or do I have to do it in NJ?

TIA.

Posted on: 2016/5/3 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Go to your financial institution. Your bank may charge you a nominal fee but as long as you have an account you can get it done there, and it will be authentic.

Posted on: 2016/1/12 0:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Not recently. For basic notarization I was lucky to find a co-worker that was a registered notary - and once used Anthony Ferrara on Newark opposite the courthouse.

Might try calling one of the mobile services - google "Mobile notary NJ". Quite a few cover JC.

I think the concern of the OP is more than just the notarizing of a document. The concern (as I understand it) is the Hague apostille. Getting a document notarized can be quick and free. For example, customers of Chase bank can stop by any branch and get a document notarized on the spot free of charge. I have done this many times.

Virtually all the mobile notaries offer an added apostille service - for a price of course. For example: http://www.newjerseymobilenotary.com/

That's pretty cool, dtjcview. Thanks for the link. In my experience, asking for an apostille usually draws a blank stare, so it is good to know of possible options/solutions.

Posted on: 2016/1/11 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Not recently. For basic notarization I was lucky to find a co-worker that was a registered notary - and once used Anthony Ferrara on Newark opposite the courthouse.

Might try calling one of the mobile services - google "Mobile notary NJ". Quite a few cover JC.

I think the concern of the OP is more than just the notarizing of a document. The concern (as I understand it) is the Hague apostille. Getting a document notarized can be quick and free. For example, customers of Chase bank can stop by any branch and get a document notarized on the spot free of charge. I have done this many times.

Virtually all the mobile notaries offer an added apostille service - for a price of course. For example: http://www.newjerseymobilenotary.com/

Posted on: 2016/1/11 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/11 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/11 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi - Just bumping this up to see if anyone has done this before? I'll need to do this soon (can't push off anymore , so hoping I could get more info on this.

Thanks in advance...

Posted on: 2016/1/11 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you bodhipooh - you're very right! The entire process doesn't end after the County Clerk authentication (for my purposes, I'll need to have the notarized and authenticated document verified and "translated" at my country's embassy in NYC before I can send it over seas).

I want to do everything only once (which is painful enough), so I'm trying to make sure I follow all the steps, and do as much research beforehand as possible.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Thanks for the info!

So - has anyone done this authorization before??? Just want to get an idea whether it'll be a painful, or painless, process.

TIA.

Quote:

sepecat wrote:
You wont find a the county clerk at city hall. You'll have to go the County building.

http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/

257 Cornelison Avenue - 4th Floor
Jersey City NJ 07302

My one advice/observation is to really, really understand what it is that needs to happen to/with the document. Based on the sparse description you provide, it is to be used outside of the US. Often times, when that is the case, it usually means that the document needs to have an apostille that conforms with the Hague Treaty requirements. Once you are really clear on what needs to happen, then make those requirements/instructions very clear to whatever authority you are using to have it done.

Here is a link that explains more about apostilles and authentications of documents: http://travel.state.gov/content/trave ... ication-of-documents.html

Posted on: 2015/9/23 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Thanks for the info!

So - has anyone done this authorization before??? Just want to get an idea whether it'll be a painful, or painless, process.

TIA.

Quote:

sepecat wrote:
You wont find a the county clerk at city hall. You'll have to go the County building.

Jersey City NJ 07302

My one advice/observation is to really, really understand what it is that needs to happen to/with the document. Based on the sparse description you provide, it is to be used outside of the US. Often times, when that is the case, it usually means that the document needs to have an apostille that conforms with the Hague Treaty requirements. Once you are really clear on what needs to happen, then make those requirements/instructions very clear to whatever authority you are using to have it done.

Here is a link that explains more about apostilles and authentications of documents: http://travel.state.gov/content/trave ... ication-of-documents.html

Posted on: 2015/9/23 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info!

TIA.

Quote:

sepecat wrote:

Jersey City NJ 07302

Posted on: 2015/9/23 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City NJ 07302

Posted on: 2015/9/19 12:44

Authenticating a notarized document
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all - I need to have a notarized document (Power of Attorney) authenticated - by Secretary of State or County clerk (the document is to be used outside of US).

I've found some standard instructions on the process online, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this in person? Can I go to City Hall to find the "County Clerk" directly, or actually mail it in to somewhere?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 1:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017