Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City plan requiring 30-hour workweek minimum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

I'd rather the mayor/council focus on managing the city better, its costs and basic services, and long term financial footing.

to go one step further, the city should focusing on moving forward with the reval, and actively educating and informing homeowners of their options and providing some oversight of service providers (ie. reverse mortgage lenders/finance companies.)

However, none of those items is going to help him fund his gubernatorial campaign. This 30 hour per week does by funneling union campaign money his way.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
This is a really dumb idea. While it sucks for companies to cut hours to 30 hours/week to avoid health benefits, sometimes someone just needs a part time job. Either as a supplement to their income, or because they're a stupid, or whatever. All throughout college I worked part time jobs because that's all I had time for. If companies were suddenly required to have 30-hours/week minimum then say goodbye to employment for students. I would have had no way to work during school, or would have needed to go to school part-time and drag out my education a couple more years.
wow I just noticed I typed "a stupid" when I meant "a student" haha

Posted on: 2016/5/1 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

should the city be weighing in on buildings managing themselves in this way?, state maybe, but to vary these requirements municipality by municipality seems like an awful lot of regulation.

I'd rather the mayor/council focus on managing the city better, its costs and basic services, and long term financial footing.

to go one step further, the city should focusing on moving forward with the reval, and actively educating and informing homeowners of their options and providing some oversight of service providers (ie. reverse mortgage lenders/finance companies.)

Posted on: 2016/5/1 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Proposes Groundbreaking Minimum Workweek Ordinance

Posted on: 2016/4/30 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes I wonder if having a healthcare system like Canada, where healthcare insurance costs are the responsibility of the government, and not tied to employment in a company, may be better off system.

It probably won't work for a variety of reasons, however.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
This is only for building-service workers.

"The ordinance would require that janitors, maids, doormen and other building-service workers receive a minimum of 30 hours a week from their bosses."

Posted on: 2016/4/28 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Yet again, stupid "progressives" will hurt the people they claim to help.

Instead of helping workers, this law will result in most of them losing their jobs. A handful of people will get a ton of hours to pick up the slack, which is good for them but bad for everyone else.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
This is a really dumb idea. While it sucks for companies to cut hours to 30 hours/week to avoid health benefits, sometimes someone just needs a part time job. Either as a supplement to their income, or because they're a stupid, or whatever. All throughout college I worked part time jobs because that's all I had time for. If companies were suddenly required to have 30-hours/week minimum then say goodbye to employment for students. I would have had no way to work during school, or would have needed to go to school part-time and drag out my education a couple more years.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
How does it work if your condo management hires a 3rd party to supply the building service workers?

One of my tenants would benefit since he does cleaning & snow clearing for commercial properties.

My employer would benefit because they do automated control and remote monitoring of building management systems (i.e. the stuff that runs the heating and cooling plants in large buildings). Basically one guy can monitor and troubleshoot hundreds of properties, then dispatching service guys as needed.

The stumbling block has been upfront costs as having some part time people is cheaper that buying all the hardware and software. I guess that is going to change.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
My previous condo did this several years ago. They got rid of the full-timers and replaced them with part-timers.

Get ready for condo fees to go up.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
How does it work if your condo management hires a 3rd party to supply the building service workers?

Posted on: 2016/4/28 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
That's ridiculous. My condo building has 50 or more units. If we have to pay our part-time porter as if he is working 30-hours a week we will just fire him and have our current full-time super pick up the responsibilities and pay the Super a little more. Our part-time porter was doing this job as a source of supplemental income for his full-time job. Now he is SOL.

Posted on: 2016/4/28 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Jersey City plan requiring 30-hour workweek minimum

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM, updated April 27, 2016 at 7:37 PM

JERSEY CITY — A controversial measure that would require some private employers to provide minimum 30-hour workweeks to building-service workers cleared a procedural hurdle tonight.

The City Council voted 6-2-1 to advance the ordinance, which a councilman and a free-enterprise group today said will lead to workers losing their jobs.

Council President Rolando Lavarro, who is behind the measure, tonight said it will help reverse a trend of employers providing only part-time jobs with no health benefits to their workers. The ordinance would require that janitors, maids, doormen and other building-service workers receive a minimum of 30 hours a week from their bosses.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ks_in_jersey_city_ge.html

Interesting. The usual argument is that businesses would pack up and move if such a requirement is forced on them. However, in this case, you can't move a building. It will increase operating costs of the buildings and cut into owner's profits but we're in a building boom, and I can't see it discouraging future investment in the city. "The ordinance would apply only to employees working in commercial buildings larger than 150,000 square feet ? revised up from 100,000 square feet at tonight's meeting ? and in residential buildings with 50 or more units. It is backed by 32BJ, a labor union representing property service workers who would benefit from its passage. Kevin Brown, the union's state director, urged the council to adopt the measure, saying it is "troubling" that workers cannot find full-time work." I'm normally strongly against policies like these but those men and women work hard for next to nothing, and I can't see this proposal seriously harming economic investment in the city. Well played 32BJ. :)

Posted on: 2016/4/28 5:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM, updated April 27, 2016 at 7:37 PM

JERSEY CITY — A controversial measure that would require some private employers to provide minimum 30-hour workweeks to building-service workers cleared a procedural hurdle tonight.

The City Council voted 6-2-1 to advance the ordinance, which a councilman and a free-enterprise group today said will lead to workers losing their jobs.

Council President Rolando Lavarro, who is behind the measure, tonight said it will help reverse a trend of employers providing only part-time jobs with no health benefits to their workers. The ordinance would require that janitors, maids, doormen and other building-service workers receive a minimum of 30 hours a week from their bosses.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ks_in_jersey_city_ge.html

Posted on: 2016/4/28 3:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017