Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: No pedestrian signals in Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
The lights don't bother me at all, but FWIW Hob is re-doing all intersections for the entire stretch of Washington, so maybe they will be added.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Well seeing that we're on a non-J.C. issue or just non-J.C. how is this for an improvement on the playing field ?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/27/europe/ ... art-phone-traffic-lights/

Posted on: 2016/5/1 13:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken has always made due with minimal road signs or traffic signals. When I moved to Hoboken in 1990, there were only about six stop signs in the entire city. Drivers had an understanding that at any intersection the driver to the right of whichever two cars met had the right of way. Washington street is a mess lately but my understanding is there is a planned comprehensive reengineering of the entire street with a lot of new configurations of intersections. SO maybe there will be pedestrian signals when the have the re-do. One thing they will not have, astonishingly, is bike lanes.

Posted on: 2016/5/1 10:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks bodhipooh, that was EXACTLY my point. I've lived here 30 years, rarely drive my car, and walk a lot or take my bike or antique moped, and walking around traffic in DTJC is tougher/more dangerous than most places anywhere near here, including NYC.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Pity you're so annoyed. Unlike JC, especially Downtown, drivers in Hoboken actually give pedestrians the right of way but pedestrians are also expected to not cross against the light. Really a shame that having to look up from your iPhone and glance sideways to read the (obvious) traffic light in the middle of the intersection is such a trauma for you...

I hate to cut in on your self-righteousness, but I've lived in Jersey City for 8 years, I don't dare even talk on the phone when I'm walking anywhere, let alone text or listen to music, out of fear of getting clipped by rude, entitled, inconsiderate drivers like you. Its people like you who make living in Jersey City the next best thing to being on the set of "Death Race 3000", without getting paid...

I think you completely missed jcneighbor's point. He wasn't talking about the OP and JC. He was trying to say that the OP seems overly perplexed by the simple act of looking at a traffic light from a corner curb. Walking in Hoboken is magnitudes safer than JC. Pedestrians signals are not needed because the traffic lights tell cars when to go, or not go, and the same goes for pedestrians. As for the "side streets" the matter is even more clear: in the state of NJ, pedestrians always have the right of way at an unregulated intersection. Incredibly, I see drivers Hoboken actually stop for pedestrians at intersections and in crosswalks, unlike in JC.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Pity you're so annoyed. Unlike JC, especially Downtown, drivers in Hoboken actually give pedestrians the right of way but pedestrians are also expected to not cross against the light. Really a shame that having to look up from your iPhone and glance sideways to read the (obvious) traffic light in the middle of the intersection is such a trauma for you...

I hate to cut in on your self-righteousness, but I've lived in Jersey City for 8 years, I don't dare even talk on the phone when I'm walking anywhere, let alone text or listen to music, out of fear of getting clipped by rude, entitled, inconsiderate drivers like you. Its people like you who make living in Jersey City the next best thing to being on the set of "Death Race 3000", without getting paid...

Posted on: 2016/4/30 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/30 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Spending what time in Hoboken that I do, it doesn't bother me at all. I feel MUCH less safe in Jersey City, where drivers ingnore any and all stop signs and lights. Hoboken seems to have an entirely different class of resident driver.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't bother me at all, this is a jc board, not hoboken411.com

Posted on: 2016/4/30 15:30
utterly deplorable

No pedestrian signals in Hoboken
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
With all of the people walking up and down Washington Blvd in Hoboken, it's crazy to me that they have no pedestrian lights at the intersections from first all the way to 14th. I have to look up at the traffic light to see if I can cross the street safely and even then, it's usually a single light and it's hard to tell if it's about to change when you step out into the street.

I'm surprised that no upgrades have been done to the system there on Washington. Walking around JC feels a lot safer.

I'd be interested to see the stats on how many people get hit by cars in Hoboken. I feel like the side streets are even worse. Stop signs and painted crosswalks only go so far. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Posted on: 2016/4/30 4:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017