Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Rent Increase in Rent Controled Building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Rent increases vary from year to year and are established by the city. To get this year's %, you must call the Landlord-Tenant office and they will tell you.

It's not a flat %, it varies with the market.

Additionally, if your landlord did any substantial work, they must submit the paperwork to back that up to the Landlord-Tenant office and have an approval for a higher %. Generally even that % is relatively low, though if indeed work was done this year I could see it going up to 5%.

Incidentally I live in a rent controlled building myself and this year the increase was 0%. Unless the year is not Jan-Dec (in other words maybe I fell into one fiscal year and you into another) yours should be 0% as well barring the above improvement scenario.

Posted on: 2016/5/2 14:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
IIRC rent stabilized? I have no idea what that is, but I know that rent stabilized is not the same as rent controlled thanks anyway.

Posted on: 2016/5/1 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
iirc rent stabilized, not controlled. this wasn't last year, but the year before.

Posted on: 2016/5/1 1:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
corybraiterman ok. Are you in a rent controlled building? From what I have been told and understand, usually in a rent controled building in JC they are only allowed to raise your rent 3%.

Posted on: 2016/5/1 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Last time mine was raised, it was 4 percent

Posted on: 2016/5/1 0:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The rent increase was neither explained nor justified. I know of no improvements that were made to my building or to my apartment. Doesn't mean they weren't made, I just don't know about them.

If the landlord is going to increase the rent more than 3% in a rent controlled building for improvements reasons do I have to be told that either verbally or in writing?

I just received a letter about the rent increase today, so no I haven't called the landlord tenant relations number yet. Thank you for that information and the link.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Did you try the Landlord-Tenant Relations office yet? They deal with rent control issues. Link is here:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=1182

Posted on: 2016/4/30 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
In a rent controlled building (9 apartments, older building, owner does not live on premises) what percentage can the rent be raised? It's 3% correct? I received a letter saying my rent would go up, and the increase is 5%. How do I fight this if they are only legally able to raise it 3%? And the letter I received notifying me of the rent increase included the following weird sentence, " please note, as a long-term tenant, we will still consider your lease to be month to month per section 15 of the revised agreement." If they raise the rent don't I get a new lease? What is section 15 of the revised agreement? Do they mean the original lease that I have with my landlord?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Was the increase perhaps explained or justified as a hardship rental increase? Those are not capped by a hard number, but it's up to the Rent Leveling Board to approve.

If recent capital improvements were made to the building and the units were made, landlords can try and recoup owe costs via increases but that is capped to a figure per 1K and must be approved by the Board.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 22:21

Rent Increase in Rent Controled Building
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
In a rent controlled building (9 apartments, older building, owner does not live on premises) what percentage can the rent be raised? It's 3% correct? I received a letter saying my rent would go up, and the increase is 5%. How do I fight this if they are only legally able to raise it 3%? And the letter I received notifying me of the rent increase included the following weird sentence, " please note, as a long-term tenant, we will still consider your lease to be month to month per section 15 of the revised agreement." If they raise the rent don't I get a new lease? What is section 15 of the revised agreement? Do they mean the original lease that I have with my landlord?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Posted on: 2016/4/30 17:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017