Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: art museum to Journal Square?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
i agree that it being outside of the PATH station makes a huge difference. JSQ is also becoming more of a hub for the arts whether downtown likes it or not. Between the Art House behind the PATH, Mana, Loews (when it decides to do things) and relatively cheaper rents for now, its an ideal spot for another cultural institution like a museum.

This one should be held under a microscope to make sure it doesnt fail like the last, but I think its a good idea.

The powerhouse is still so many years from being an option, that its not feasible, but I hope someone does something good with it soon.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
....... IMO, the city should wait and find a place downtown, maybe the powerhouse

You guys had your chance and blew it, it is our turn now. (lol)

The location makes sense Journal Square is accessible from all parts the city via bus or train plus we have 3 major parking garages for the non-Millennials. Hey we may even get the artsy crowd from NYC via PATH.

?Get a load a me... a soon ta be connois-sewer of da arts right in my own backyard. Ain?t dat sumfin. I hope it?s open on Satday?s. ?

Don?t worry we will take good care of it. Promise.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

yes, resettling the museum has a lot of merit, but before making deals and becoming a fait accompli, resurrect the museum first, reconstitute the board, review the past and plan for the future AND establish a funding plan. This discussion should be starting with community outreach, not a real estate deal.

Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I work in the fine arts and feel that museums and opposable thumbs are what separates us from the animals. Also I live in Journal Square and feel the cultural vacuum. But I am not getting on board for an art museum until I see some frank discussion about what went wrong with the last Jersey City Art Museum. How and why that institution failed needs to be examined. I would like to hear an "official" accounting of how it failed, all I have ever heard were rumors and gossip about the mismanagement. Also one should ask what it was that the old museum got right, did it succeed at anything? And after it failed, was whatever it had been providing missed? A valid point I would also make is that the Loews Jersey Cinema and the Friends of the Loews have been doggedly filing Journal Square's cultural vacuum for a decade but the current administration has made a point of trying to scuttle their efforts and take the cinema away from them. If the city wants more culture in Journal Square (and they should) maybe they should start by not being antagonistic to the existing local cultural institution? A final note is that I am STILL waiting to see some plain old yellow traffic stripes painted down the center of 80% of the Journal Square area roads. Can we please have some very basic pedestrian and traffic safety infrastructure before we start planing museums? Could the city please just paint some stripes on the roads?

Posted on: 2016/4/13 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The museum failed because it did not receive the funding that was promised. It was also a distance to walk from the PATH. Before everyone tell me I am wrong, let's not forget that many events were held at night. It is one thing to walk that distance in the daytime but another at night. I knew people who did not want to walk those blocks in the evening and they were in great physical shape. This is much closer to the PATH and there is private parking close by something not available downtown.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think mana attracts art aficionados ....plus the place is privately owned. The economics are a lot different for a gallery versus a museum. IMO, the city should wait and find a place downtown, maybe the powerhouse

Posted on: 2016/4/13 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with most of your post.

I agree that a proper postmortem should be done on the old Jersey City Museum first. So much went wrong with the museum... but I chalk much of it to neglect and no funding.

I agree with your "first things first" sentiment about getting proper stripes down the roadway first.

I think that the location is not a problem and probably could be quite fine, given its close proximity to another Jersey City treasure - Mana Contemporary.

Where I disagree is with your assessment of the situation with the Lowes. There are no hero's in this tale. Friends of the Lowes were their own worst enemies. Previous administrations neglected the Lowe's, to the point where it was in danger of being torn down. The current situation is a failure of interested parties to come to reasonable terms. Again, no winners. No hero's. There was a brief window where it could have been properly addressed, but that window appears to have closed. A shame, really.

But, assuming a dependable funding source can be identified and a good plan with excellent management can be assembled, I see no reason why this can't happen.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 23:35
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I work in the fine arts and feel that museums and opposable thumbs are what separates us from the animals. Also I live in Journal Square and feel the cultural vacuum. But I am not getting on board for an art museum until I see some frank discussion about what went wrong with the last Jersey City Art Museum. How and why that institution failed needs to be examined. I would like to hear an "official" accounting of how it failed, all I have ever heard were rumors and gossip about the mismanagement. Also one should ask what it was that the old museum got right, did it succeed at anything? And after it failed, was whatever it had been providing missed? A valid point I would also make is that the Loews Jersey Cinema and the Friends of the Loews have been doggedly filing Journal Square's cultural vacuum for a decade but the current administration has made a point of trying to scuttle their efforts and take the cinema away from them. If the city wants more culture in Journal Square (and they should) maybe they should start by not being antagonistic to the existing local cultural institution? A final note is that I am STILL waiting to see some plain old yellow traffic stripes painted down the center of 80% of the Journal Square area roads. Can we please have some very basic pedestrian and traffic safety infrastructure before we start planing museums? Could the city please just paint some stripes on the roads?

Posted on: 2016/4/12 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
imo. downtown is beter suited for a museum. i believe that it is tourists who drive museum traffic, and downtown simply gets more tourists than jsq and its much convenient. unless this museum is gonna have some picasso's or caravaggio's, i believe few would venture up to jsq for a museum when one could simply take the path to world-renowed museums in manhattan

Posted on: 2016/4/12 22:13

art museum to Journal Square?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

ersey City is eyeing a building adjacent to the Journal Square PATH station as a location for a new art museum.

The city is in preliminary talks with Hudson County officials to purchase the four-story building at 25 Journal Square, also known as Pathside and owned by Hudson County Community College. The plan is for an expanded version of the Jersey City Museum, which essentially shuttered in 2010.

More

Posted on: 2016/4/12 21:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017