Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Good News For Lightrail riders.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/19 17:57
From paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Terry. Are you suggesting robots check the tickets?

A well trained robot can do many things, but I don't think they should replace humans. I also can't imagine having a robot pet but others may disagree.

Terry S.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Terry. Are you suggesting robots check the tickets?

Posted on: 2016/4/26 15:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/19 17:57
From paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
hey, it looks like the have fare cheats all over. look at article on boston.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loca ... osing_35m_on_fare_evaders

my suggestion. hire more ticket checkers, make fare beaters either pay 10X fare on the spot or 20X later...and if that doesn't work, contact employer.

as for unemployed or homeless, consider it charity care

More ticket checkers is the last thing we need. Enough jobs are already being taken over by robots and replacing humans, for example Ubercars and the Android computer system. Just because Boston does it does not mean we should.

Terry S.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
my suggestion. hire more ticket checkers, make fare beaters either pay 10X fare on the spot or 20X later...and if that doesn't work, contact employer.

huh? Why would you want fines to be $22.50??? The current fine can be as high as $100. Instituting a fine of $22.50 (10x fare) is only going to encourage more fare beating. The fine should be at least $150!

Posted on: 2016/4/26 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
hey, it looks like the have fare cheats all over. look at article on boston.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loca ... osing_35m_on_fare_evaders

as for unemployed or homeless, consider it charity care

Posted on: 2016/4/26 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm starting to think Frank is one of the fare beaters.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

In time, and with the proper application of ignorance and complacency on our behalf, we could be the drones... an entire nation of drones, slaves to the rules who are fearful to step out of line.

Take a look at the controlled masses and it's already a fact Frankie.

Maybe I'll run wild and not buy a light rail ticket - a true modern rebel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01yMmm_XNdA

Posted on: 2016/4/14 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
one day soon, i hope, there will be drones that identify (via massive image bank) and fine lawbreakers (people who speed, don't stop at red lights or stop signs and don't pay tolls).

Better yet, a robot could be assigned to every single person in America, monitoring and recording our every infraction. Just imagine it, cute little Stasibots. Exceed the speed limit--busted. Open a bottle of wine in a public park, watch a pirated film, or write your name in the snow--busted. Put any chemical into your body the law says you can't, cross on a Don't Walk light, or try and beat the light rail fare--busted, busted, busted.

In time, and with the proper application of ignorance and complacency on our behalf, we could be the drones... an entire nation of drones, slaves to the rules who are fearful to step out of line.

In a free country, law enforcement absolutely must err on the side of getting away with it. The policeman's job? is supposed to be difficult. Mass surveillance and automated enforcement is already a disturbing tend, but what's even more frightening is that there are American citizens who are so nearsighted that they deliberately want to forfeit a cornerstone of what it means to live freely.

But you probably don't have anything to hide, right? Isn't that how it goes?

Pretty much all of this. It is incredibly baffling that so many people (sometimes it feels like most people!) are willing to sacrifice the ideals of living in a free society with a constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy in exchange for an oppressive society of constant surveillance under the guise of safety and security. It's pretty sad that people have been brainwashed by fear and false promises of safety into wanting MORE government intrusion, more surveillance, more limits on personal freedoms.

Posted on: 2016/4/14 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
one day soon, i hope, there will be drones that identify (via massive image bank) and fine lawbreakers (people who speed, don't stop at red lights or stop signs and don't pay tolls).

Better yet, a robot could be assigned to every single person in America, monitoring and recording our every infraction. Just imagine it, cute little Stasibots. Exceed the speed limit--busted. Open a bottle of wine in a public park, watch a pirated film, or write your name in the snow--busted. Put any chemical into your body the law says you can't, cross on a Don't Walk light, or try and beat the light rail fare--busted, busted, busted.

In a free country, law enforcement absolutely must err on the side of getting away with it. The policeman's job? is supposed to be difficult. Mass surveillance and automated enforcement is already a disturbing tend, but what's even more frightening is that there are American citizens who are so nearsighted that they deliberately want to forfeit a cornerstone of what it means to live freely.

But you probably don't have anything to hide, right? Isn't that how it goes?

Posted on: 2016/4/14 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmellonworth wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Well then Frank why isn't a similar enforcement plan implemented for the subway path and ferries?

PA police don?t appear heavily focused on catching and punishing individuals who attempt to beat the fare, so the pattern of enforcement doesn't seem all that different.

We already did away with red light cameras... and you want red light drones?
well, these would be unobtrusive drones that people can't see so that they violators can not claim they are a risk to safety! afterwards, they can send drones around to identify cars without insurance/registration and arrange for these to be locked.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 23:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/28 22:28
From The Village, Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Well then Frank why isn't a similar enforcement plan implemented for the subway path and ferries?

PA police don?t appear heavily focused on catching and punishing individuals who attempt to beat the fare, so the pattern of enforcement doesn't seem all that different.

We already did away with red light cameras... and you want red light drones?

Posted on: 2016/4/13 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/13 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/13 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That has not been my experience. In fact a few weeks ago after 6 mo of riding I finally saw them checking. The first 3 people approached did not have a ticket. They were all trying to use some story as to why.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I ride it one or twice a week in the middle of the day. Ticket checks are rare, but whenever I have seen them just about everyone pulls out their ticket. Maybe 2 people or so get busted.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/12 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
No amount of inspection is going to make the system profitable?we?re talking about public transportation after all?so its losses already have to be weighed against the benefit the system brings to the region. Would tougher enforcement and harsher penalties result in a genuine benefit, or would it make the system less accessible and less beneficial to communities that are otherwise poorly served by public transportation? Maybe NJT isn?t getting the balance right, but a balance that includes some degree of non-enforcement is probably a wise move.

So just spy on the passengers with remote audio and video survelliance and throw actual security out the window.

Maybe in lieu of protecting the public they can plant some nice trees in the track gauge for people to hug.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No amount of inspection is going to make the system profitable?we?re talking about public transportation after all?so its losses already have to be weighed against the benefit the system brings to the region. Would tougher enforcement and harsher penalties result in a genuine benefit, or would it make the system less accessible and less beneficial to communities that are otherwise poorly served by public transportation? Maybe NJT isn?t getting the balance right, but a balance that includes some degree of non-enforcement is probably a wise move.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lima,
They were checking today in Bayonne at Eigth St. I spoke to the officers. They confirmed my suspicion. They have been instructed not to check minors for tickets in JC. The judge throws out many tickets. They said they could write tickets all day on fare beaters

Posted on: 2016/4/11 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
perhaps there should be agents at each station during peak time, or maybe install turnstiles with cctv

These are open platforms and it is based in the honor system, big joke implementing that in JC.

Most folks who don't need the headache of being ticketed pay the fare, the enforcement is via random checks by uniformed clowns masquerading as far inspectors checking tickets when they very seldom board the trains and even then it is very selective who they ask - a certain element never get checked and are allowed endlessly to ride for free.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
perhaps there should be agents at each station during peak time, or maybe install turnstiles with cctv

Posted on: 2016/4/11 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
I agree. I have been riding for 6 months and would bet 60% of the riders ride for free and even a greater percentage during off peak hours. We as paying customers are funding this handout. The other day was the first time I have witnessed them checking for tickets. I have no doubt they could pay an officer's salary 10 fold with the number of tickets they would write. Does anyone know if the cost of a ticket has risen on pace with the fares?

FWIW, I ride it daily during peak hours and I probably only see tickets enforced twice a month. But when they do, I don't see 60% of the passengers busted. It's probably 1 or 2 for every dozen passengers.

Any person getting busted is probably because they are not paying attention. Avoiding getting caught is super easy and I have seen a lot of people do it.

If the agents board the train, get off. If they are on the platform, do not get off, or don't head towards the exit without first stopping at the machine. I know people who ride the light rail without ever paying; some people just rationalize it with the usual excuses: mass transit should be free, it is too expensive of a ride, other people are doing the same, etc. They should raise the fines (currently tops out at $100) and they should definitely step up enforcement.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
I agree. I have been riding for 6 months and would bet 60% of the riders ride for free and even a greater percentage during off peak hours. We as paying customers are funding this handout. The other day was the first time I have witnessed them checking for tickets. I have no doubt they could pay an officer's salary 10 fold with the number of tickets they would write. Does anyone know if the cost of a ticket has risen on pace with the fares?

FWIW, I ride it daily during peak hours and I probably only see tickets enforced twice a month. But when they do, I don't see 60% of the passengers busted. It's probably 1 or 2 for every dozen passengers.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/11 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
No surprise with CIA officers as executives on the light rails parent company URS:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-pereira-63b16747

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Casual commuter conversations on light rail trains have an unexpected eavesdropper ? NJ Transit.

Video and audio surveillance systems designed to make riders more secure are also recording the conversations of light rail passengers at all times.

More

Posted on: 2016/4/11 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to say it but IGreg is pretty much on point. There is very little ticket checks...and the light rail can feel pretty unsafe at times.

They should have 2 fare inspectors at all times at 45th street, Danforth, newport, liberty state park, exchange place and Harismus cove, tonnelle an bergenline. They would make up the cost in fines and people finally having to pay for their ride.

Also, many of the white collar workers near the waterfront also abuse the system an skip out on paying the fare.

Posted on: 2016/4/10 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Reality is outside of the commuter hours the HBLR is a free shuttle bus for the ghetto of JC - MLK and Richard Street et al.

0 fare inspectors doing their jobs and the company is not even NJ Transit who runs it:

http://businessfinder.nj.com/21st-cen ... orp-jersey-city-nj-1.html

All parts of the system have been farmed out to bullshit huge corporations getting their hands in internal US infrastructure via government tax dollars, Raytheon was somehow one of the parent companies involved via 21st Century Rail and Washington Group International now URS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URS_Corporation

It is called corporate welfare and it pays well if you get to ride for free.

Holla @ Yo Boyz.....

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
"Passengers have repeatedly told the agency that security is a priority in the quarterly scorecard surveys of riders, Smith said. "The onboard surveillance systems are also a deterrent for crime and unruly behavior."

Posted on: 2016/4/10 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
"Passengers have repeatedly told the agency that security is a priority in the quarterly scorecard surveys of riders, Smith said. "The onboard surveillance systems are also a deterrent for crime and unruly behavior."

Posted on: 2016/4/10 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Casual commuter conversations on light rail trains have an unexpected eavesdropper ? NJ Transit.

Video and audio surveillance systems designed to make riders more secure are also recording the conversations of light rail passengers at all times.

More

Posted on: 2016/4/10 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I think the light rail is already over priced as it is when compared to the PATH, or other regional mass transit options.

And, yes, I realize we are not paying full fare because it is already subsidized and blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, the LR costs as much as the PATH (which gets me to ANOTHER state, and under water!) and it is just a tad less than the NYC subway, which can get me a trip that is as short as a few minutes, or as long as two hours, and take me to all kinds of interesting, fun, world-class destinations.

I hardly ever ride the light rail, as I refuse to pay that fare. In all of 2012, I probably rode it 8 times, or less. So far in 2013, I think I have been on it 3 times. I rather walk, or ride my bicycle.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 12:58

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017