Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: proposal for changing R1 zoning to R5 in Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Erobinsonh wrote:
It has been withdrawn from the Planning Board meeting.

As for the Village having so much influence - the Village is the neighborhood most affected. With the exception of a few blocks in the western section of Hamilton Park, virtually all of the current R1 in Downtown is in the Village.

I see. http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... /RFP/ZoningMap28Jan09.pdf

So what is the zoning for historic district infill? I had assumed it defaulted to R-1.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 16:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/2 18:18
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
It has been withdrawn from the Planning Board meeting.

As for the Village having so much influence - the Village is the neighborhood most affected. With the exception of a few blocks in the western section of Hamilton Park, virtually all of the current R1 in Downtown is in the Village.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Erobinsonh wrote:
The Planning Board meeting is tomorrow night (Tuesday, April 5, 5:30pm at City Hall) and the R1 to R5 is on the agenda, though significantly different than it was last month.

The Planning Department found a lot of resistance to the original proposed changes among the residents of the Village, and worked extensively with the Village Neighborhood Association to reach a compromise that allows for greater density, less parking and slightly more height.

The current R1s north of Newark Ave will be restricted to 41 feet (plus flood elevation) and 4 stories. The R1s south of Newark Avenue will be 31 feet (plus flood) and 3 stories.

Developers who have been using variances to bypass the R1 zoning over the last several years are apparently planning to fight this.

We need everyone to attend and have their voices heard! Whether you agree with the new zoning or not - this could hugely affect the future of the entire Village neighborhood.

Here is the proposed zoning:
http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset/bb9...

Here is the Planning Board agenda: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploaded...

That data link is bad. I'm confused, the proposed height S of Newark is lower than the current R-1 of 35 ft. Is that why the developers oppose it? And what are the unit numbers in these proposals.

It's a little disturbing that The Village is getting so much say over zoning that affects a much larger area. There's many blocks where 4 floors around 45-50 ft is common.

Posted on: 2016/4/4 16:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
The Planning Board meeting is tomorrow night (Tuesday, April 5, 5:30pm at City Hall) and the R1 to R5 is on the agenda, though significantly different than it was last month.

The Planning Department found a lot of resistance to the original proposed changes among the residents of the Village, and worked extensively with the Village Neighborhood Association to reach a compromise that allows for greater density, less parking and slightly more height.

The current R1s north of Newark Ave will be restricted to 41 feet (plus flood elevation) and 4 stories. The R1s south of Newark Avenue will be 31 feet (plus flood) and 3 stories.

Developers who have been using variances to bypass the R1 zoning over the last several years are apparently planning to fight this.

We need everyone to attend and have their voices heard! Whether you agree with the new zoning or not - this could hugely affect the future of the entire Village neighborhood.

Here is the proposed zoning:
http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset/bb9...

Here is the Planning Board agenda: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploaded...

Posted on: 2016/4/4 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Erobinsonh wrote:
They have postponed the hearing on the R5 zoning change - not going to be on March 22nd.

Now not sure when it will be brought before the Planning Board - or in what form.

Looks like it'll be brought up in the April 5th meeting: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... a%20March%2022%202016.pdf

Posted on: 2016/3/18 20:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
They have postponed the hearing on the R5 zoning change - not going to be on March 22nd.

Now not sure when it will be brought before the Planning Board - or in what form.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 19:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the R5 proposal - it will be presented to the Planning Board this coming Tuesday (March 22, 5:30pm)

http://data.jerseycitynj.gov./dataset ... c7-42a7-bc0e-8d836b94607f

The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association got the presentation a couple of weeks ago - their discussions are restricted to their members, so not sure what their reactions were.

At the Village Neighborhood Association there was a lively discussion for about an hour and a half about it. The Village is the area most impacted by it, and one of the biggest concerns was that it wouldn't address the biggest problem that the Village has faced in recent years - the zoning by variance that has been affecting the Village building by building, as developers request (and usually get) much more height and density than currently allowed. The developers who routinely ask for 5 and 6 stories in a 3-story zone may not be satisfied with the increase to 4 stories.

Posted on: 2016/3/17 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I would be interested in starting a group petitioning for the rezoning of sections of the heights from R1 to R5. The neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying and the only construction we see is the teardown of older, more affordable homes replaced by crap like that at prices pushing $750,000. That's not affordable!

A zoning change to R5 would promote diversity in the community, increase the supply of available housing, and help keep things affordable for new and existing residents. This would probably attract interest from developers to build more housing.

The Central Avenue Redevelopment Plan is a great start, but more needs to be done. Aside from Ogden Avenue, there isn't as many NIMBYs fighting against any kind of change so common sense could prevail.

I'll go in with you on this, but it won't be an easy job. Yun I think will be on board. Not sure about Boggiano though.

Based on a meeting I had about the Central Ave redevelopment: there are a number of NIMBYs here. They are generally of the type that want a street filled with stores like an independently own organic juice and coffee shop.. yet don't want the number of people moving into the area to make that even remotely possible.

I get the same sense with Yun. He gets a bad wrap sometimes, but he does listen to the community. You're also spot on regarding Central Avenue Redevelopment meetings. Everyone wants a grocery store with quality retail lining the street, but what's missing is the discussion is the need for people to make that happened. There needs to be a critical mass of people in order for a grocery store to make sense. There is significant analysis that goes into selecting a location for any kind of retail store, and no sane business owner is going to open a new business without first having a high degree of confidence that there is enough residents in the area that will be customers.

MDM, let's start here and see where this leads. The next step is to start a website to get the word out.

What was the consensus in doing this Downtown? Are most neighborhood associations generally OK with it?

Posted on: 2016/3/16 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I would be interested in starting a group petitioning for the rezoning of sections of the heights from R1 to R5. The neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying and the only construction we see is the teardown of older, more affordable homes replaced by crap like that at prices pushing $750,000. That's not affordable!

A zoning change to R5 would promote diversity in the community, increase the supply of available housing, and help keep things affordable for new and existing residents. This would probably attract interest from developers to build more housing.

The Central Avenue Redevelopment Plan is a great start, but more needs to be done. Aside from Ogden Avenue, there isn't as many NIMBYs fighting against any kind of change so common sense could prevail.

I'll go in with you on this, but it won't be an easy job. Yun I think will be on board. Not sure about Boggiano though.

Based on a meeting I had about the Central Ave redevelopment: there are a number of NIMBYs here. They are generally of the type that want a street filled with stores like an independently own organic juice and coffee shop.. yet don't want the number of people moving into the area to make that even remotely possible.

I get the same sense with Yun. He gets a bad wrap sometimes, but he does listen to the community. You're also spot on regarding Central Avenue Redevelopment meetings. Everyone wants a grocery store with quality retail lining the street, but what's missing is the discussion is the need for people to make that happened. There needs to be a critical mass of people in order for a grocery store to make sense. There is significant analysis that goes into selecting a location for any kind of retail store, and no sane business owner is going to open a new business without first having a high degree of confidence that there is enough residents in the area that will be customers.

MDM, let's start here and see where this leads. The next step is to start a website to get the word out.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/16 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Saw this lovely block in the Heights yesterday, brought to you by our friend R-1. Something attractive and beneficial to the neighborhood could have been built there, like a large complex of ground floor retail and apartments. But the cheapest possible structures won.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/3/16 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Saw this lovely block in the Heights yesterday, brought to you by our friend R-1. Something attractive and beneficial to the neighborhood could have been built there, like a large complex of ground floor retail and apartments. But the cheapest possible structures won.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/3/16 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I think that's a very specific problem, in a lot of cases I've heard the spaces are too small! Several of those on my map like 116 Coles are quite small, I'd be those 2 aren't more than 500 ft each.

This guy has stuff in the Heights. The stores run very deep on Central Ave.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
From a discussion I had with a landlord that owns a couple of buildings with store fronts:

The issue is that the area is too big for what the prospective tenant wants. The layout of the building makes it hard to subdivide the space and still give each space access (i.e. skinny but deep building layout).

To make it worth renting out, the landlord let say needs $1 per sqft. However, the prospective tenant, since he has double the space needed, is only willing to pay $0.50 per sqft. Below $1 it really isn't worth it to rent the space as the added costs (water, sewer, wear & tear, etc.) negate the income from the rent.

This situation could be resolved if the commercial space could be made smaller: Take the unused rear of the commercial space and add it to the existing residential rentals (i.e. make a duplex) or turn the unused space into say a residential studio apartment...

The problem is the zoning rules don't make this easy or sometimes even possible. If the zoning rules were made more flexible, you might see more store fronts on Central Ave rented out or some store fronts downtown off the main retail areas preserved.

I think that's a very specific problem, in a lot of cases I've heard the spaces are too small! Several of those on my map like 116 Coles are quite small, I'd be those 2 aren't more than 500 ft each.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
From a discussion I had with a landlord that owns a couple of buildings with store fronts:

The issue is that the area is too big for what the prospective tenant wants. The layout of the building makes it hard to subdivide the space and still give each space access (i.e. skinny but deep building layout).

To make it worth renting out, the landlord let say needs $1 per sqft. However, the prospective tenant, since he has double the space needed, is only willing to pay $0.50 per sqft. Below $1 it really isn't worth it to rent the space as the added costs (water, sewer, wear & tear, etc.) negate the income from the rent.

This situation could be resolved if the commercial space could be made smaller: Take the unused rear of the commercial space and add it to the existing residential rentals (i.e. make a duplex) or turn the unused space into say a residential studio apartment...

The problem is the zoning rules don't make this easy or sometimes even possible. If the zoning rules were made more flexible, you might see more store fronts on Central Ave rented out or some store fronts downtown off the main retail areas preserved.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
All observation. 2 were an active bar & store when I got here.

Whoops, left one out of that list, the one W side middle of the block between 6th & 7th on Coles was a video store.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Our storefront was used as residential for a few decades before we moved in, despite being originally retail. The first floor didn't even exist on the zoning office's records, but they knew it had previously been retail so it was easy to get sorted out.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Interesting...is this data just from your personal observation/memory or from another source? I'd be interested to know what street level retail got removed in my area (VVP).

All observation. 2 were an active bar & store when I got here.

As for the blind wall on corner, my guess is it was more expensive when built to put in the headers and structure necessary to support the joist ends properly over discontinuous brick walls with window openings.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Thanks, although I need to really make an effort not to read/post here, it just winds up souring me on this area, which I just moved to.

I guess your explanation is why I see a shocking lack of local retail outside of Newark/Grove. I hope the city can amend zoning or incentivize buildings that originally had street front retail to convert.

Here's a map of the residential conversions I know of since 97 just within a few blocks of me.

Resized Image

Just walking around HP, you can see additional examples almost on every corner and many mid-blocks.

On the "peak roofed pink brick 2F w a garage" as infill comment - they're not always out of place if the block was originally 2F townhouses. Sometimes it's the faux brownstone facades that look out-of-place.

And can anyone explain why so many corner brownstones have a solid brick wall on one side? Seeing one makes me think the renovation architect had a brain fart when the brownstone wasn't mid-block.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 7:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Thanks, although I need to really make an effort not to read/post here, it just winds up souring me on this area, which I just moved to.

I guess your explanation is why I see a shocking lack of local retail outside of Newark/Grove. I hope the city can amend zoning or incentivize buildings that originally had street front retail to convert.

Here's a map of the residential conversions I know of since 97 just within a few blocks of me.

Resized Image

Interesting...is this data just from your personal observation/memory or from another source? I'd be interested to know what street level retail got removed in my area (VVP).

Posted on: 2016/3/12 4:56

Edited by dr_nick_riviera on 2016/3/12 5:22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/3/12 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
I'm not totally familiar with residential zoning, but would this allow for ground floor commercial space? It'd be nice to see more commercial space crop up in these infill projects.

In the 18 years I've been in HP I've seen many storefronts converted to residential. both corner and midblock. It's never been clear to me wether they couldn't be rented, or selling them as condos was SO much more lucrative and immediate. Likely the latter. I do recall some of the neighborhood "leaders" were opposed to local retail for some reason. Likely parking, as always.

And DNR, welcome, I like your posts. (I'm assuming you're not a sock puppet)

I guess your explanation is why I see a shocking lack of local retail outside of Newark/Grove. I hope the city can amend zoning or incentivize buildings that originally had street front retail to convert. Looks like the trend is correcting itself in the newer construction, but it'd be nice if the historic neighborhoods had more vibrant street life.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with brewster that more of the little nooks designed for retail should be retail.

Neighborhood retail, if expanded throughout the city, doesn't make parking worse. It makes car ownership less necessary because people can walk and bike for most of their errands.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I wish they would bring this R5 zoning to the Heights. It's sickening that the only new development we see is the Bayonne Box.

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
I'm not totally familiar with residential zoning, but would this allow for ground floor commercial space? It'd be nice to see more commercial space crop up in these infill projects.

In the 18 years I've been in HP I've seen many storefronts converted to residential. both corner and midblock. It's never been clear to me wether they couldn't be rented, or selling them as condos was SO much more lucrative and immediate. Likely the latter. I do recall some of the neighborhood "leaders" were opposed to local retail for some reason. Likely parking, as always.

And DNR, welcome, I like your posts. (I'm assuming you're not a sock puppet)

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
If this would stop the carport/detached stuff, then I hope it comes to Lafayette!

Posted on: 2016/3/11 17:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/22 19:17
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't able to go to the meeting. Does anyone have a report?

Posted on: 2016/3/11 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
R-5 sets the minimum floor to ceiling height at 9 ft. Someone likes high ceilings at planning. 8.5 ft probably would have been adequate.

9' is acctually required citywide - it has been in the code for a long time.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned

Also, yes, let's wait for all the neighborhood associations to screech about the horror of not having free parking.

Quote:

elsquid wrote:
This sounds great! Increased density while following historical building patterns, attracting fewer new cars per capita.

NIMBY eruption in 3, 2, 1 ...

Posted on: 2016/3/8 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds great! Increased density while following historical building patterns, attracting fewer new cars per capita.

NIMBY eruption in 3, 2, 1 ...

Posted on: 2016/3/8 19:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017