Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: My Dachshund has seizure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
To clarify, I would estimate 3 to 4 minutes of convulsions followed by 6 to 10 minutes of walking around confused stumbling bumping into objects unable to stand.. after that he was resting and sitting in his bed alert?then had a drink of water and fell asleep where he still sleeps as i write. Scary stuff..he is 18 and this is the first I KNOW of that he has had ..to what appears to me a grand mal seizure. But for now..he is sleeping and breathing very normally.

Good to hear he's resting normally. That's still a pretty long seizure.

Definitely bring him to your regular vet. An 18-year-old dog is bound to face some issues, and this could just be one of them.

Good luck! And let us know what happens.

(If you're on Facebook, share your experience with the DogsJC group. Maybe one of them has gone through something similar, and can offer more insight.)

Posted on: 2016/4/3 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
To clarify, I would estimate 3 to 4 minutes of convulsions followed by 6 to 10 minutes of walking around confused stumbling bumping into objects unable to stand.. after that he was resting and sitting in his bed alert?then had a drink of water and fell asleep where he still sleeps as i write. Scary stuff..he is 18 and this is the first I KNOW of that he has had ..to what appears to me a grand mal seizure. But for now..he is sleeping and breathing very normally.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 10:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/26 18:55
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have to also cast a resounding vote for the AMC -- GREAT doctors. Our little dachsie has IVDD, and she would not be walking today (even if it is a bit wobbly) if it were not for the wonderfulness of the neurologists there. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Ask for Dr. Benji Olson and Dr. McCue (the head of neurology): Unfortunately, we have a lot of experience with them, but when we take her, we know our little girl could not be in better hands! They are truly excellent -- and, as we have found, will try their best to find a conservative solution first.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The emergency vet in Lyndhurst is incredible, but if he's no longer seizing, it's probably okay to wait until morning to take him to your regular vet.

Seizures in dogs don't always signal a life-threatening condition.

A 10-15 minute seizure is pretty long, though. Was he full-on seizing that entire time?

Here's some good info:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet- ... ures-general-for-dogs/903

"Treatment is usually begun only after a pet has:
1) more than one seizure a month,
2) clusters of seizures where one seizure is immediately followed by another or
3) grand mal seizures that are severe or prolonged in duration"

Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/4/3 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Dr Hatch at the Secaucus Animal Hospital is really great!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/secaucus-animal-hospital-secaucus

Posted on: 2016/4/3 2:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
seconding the animal medical center. almost 20 years ago, our dog edith bloated in the middle of the night. we got her to the amc in about 15 minutes (running all the lights on houston to the fdr) and they took her right into surgery and saved her life.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
If the seizures start happening more and more frequently then get to a vet ASAP.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
If u have a car I highly recommend The Animal Medical center in NYC. They have been great to us and their prices are close to what local vets charge. Our dog Max passed away with cancer recently. We had him at our local vet who diagnosed him with a bout of pancreatitis. A few weeks later when he was not feeling well we bought him there. They were able to diagnose him and treat him. We got another month to enjoy time together that we would not have gotten if it had not been for them. I wish you well.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 1:07

My Dachshund has seizure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
My 18 year old dachshund just had a seizure, crazy stuff?we pet him and talked to him and kept him from bumping into objects..after about 10/15 minutes..he's seemed to calm down, but need good and reasonable vet to possibly visit and prescribe diazepam or phenobarbitol ?thanks for good advice . .

Posted on: 2016/4/3 0:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017