Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Weekend Walks: A Photographic Tour of McGinley Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Ah McGinley Square good times. Looking at the picture ALL Star Sports was in the triangle light grey building on the corner. It was the go to place (only place) for sports gear back in the day. That was where you got your Converse or Puma?s. Along with two colored bar tube socks, colored laces, and up the crack of your butt gym shorts. Oh yeah they also sold sweats. Three sizes in two colors gray and blue. A rival named Greens Sporting Goods opened up a few years later in Journal Square. It?s funny to think how little sports stuff was available back then as compared to the thousands of sneaker and workout outfit styles today.

In the low rise building to the right at around 775 Bergen Avenue (Chicken Place?) was the Pix Movie Theater. It was kind of small and had to compete with the Loews, Stanley and State Theaters in Journal Square. Towards the end the Pix started showing X-rated movies but as I recall they got in trouble and were shut down. (I won't admit if I snuck in or not but remember all we had were Sears catalog's back then..lol)

One more that Chicken Delight at 731 Montgomery St was around since the 60?s. Yummy.

Posted on: 2016/4/2 22:54

Weekend Walks: A Photographic Tour of McGinley Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By jerseydigs - April 2, 2016

Located just a short 10 minute walk south from the Journal Square PATH is the McGinley Square neighborhood of Jersey City.
Resized Image

The square itself is located at the intersection of Bergen Avenue and Montgomery Street and plays host to a bustling retail corridor. It?s named after Right Reverend Monsignor Roger McGinley who facilitated the construction of St Aeden?s Church, one of Jersey City?s grandest churches.

Photos

Posted on: 2016/4/2 15:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017