Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What percentage of housing in Jersey City is "affordable"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I remember when I first moved to Van Vorst Park, I saw a post on JC List that actually said something akin to this "The nonsense on Wayne Street has to stop. All white people who make this City great and continue to make it great, please report to the park on Wayne Street and reclaim our City."

Racial element of the quote aside, that person kinda had a point. It seems that the nonsense that takes place on Wayne Street has continued to this very day - or at least carried on until that little park was closed for renovation last year. Unless the city is going to fence it and lock the gates at night, I would expect the nocturnal disturbances to resume once we get into summer. Amazing that nothing has been done about this after all these years...

Posted on: 2016/3/25 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think you are distorting his words. And boodipoh makes a great point. "But other international cities are terrible at intermingling residents based on income. In fact, it is common (and quite accepted) that poorer residents are relegated to living in the periphery of major cities, with longer commutes and poorer conditions, than more affluent residents living within city limits." It's called revanchist gentrification or hyper gentrification where initial gentrifiers are pushed out or alienated. I love Jersey City and have been here around 20 years and civic minded like many others. I remember when I first moved to Van Vorst Park, I saw a post on JC List that actually said something akin to this "The nonsense on Wayne Street has to stop. All white people who make this City great and continue to make it great, please report to the park on Wayne Street and reclaim our City." There are many black and brown people who make this City great, contribute in many ways and just because someone makes above a certain incomes doesn't mean he/she makes the City great. Likewise, just because someone makes below a certain income, doesn't mean they make the City bad. People should think more.
no one is forcibly forcing low income people to move out of prime areas, at some point, prime areas become unaffordable...supply and demand. although i agree that government efforts can help/hurt affordability

I HATE when people are forcibly forced.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Definition of gentrification. : the process of renewal and rebuilding
accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into
deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents.

An FOI request to see how much campaign funding by
developers to our councilman / mayor / governor might
highlight why we don't have a 'fair' ratio of affordable housing
to those 'luxury' housing ... you can only 'donate' campaign
funding when you maximise your investment - affordable
housing decreases your profit margins!

Posted on: 2016/3/25 9:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think you are distorting his words. And boodipoh makes a great point. "But other international cities are terrible at intermingling residents based on income. In fact, it is common (and quite accepted) that poorer residents are relegated to living in the periphery of major cities, with longer commutes and poorer conditions, than more affluent residents living within city limits." It's called revanchist gentrification or hyper gentrification where initial gentrifiers are pushed out or alienated. I love Jersey City and have been here around 20 years and civic minded like many others. I remember when I first moved to Van Vorst Park, I saw a post on JC List that actually said something akin to this "The nonsense on Wayne Street has to stop. All white people who make this City great and continue to make it great, please report to the park on Wayne Street and reclaim our City." There are many black and brown people who make this City great, contribute in many ways and just because someone makes above a certain incomes doesn't mean he/she makes the City great. Likewise, just because someone makes below a certain income, doesn't mean they make the City bad. People should think more.
no one is forcibly forcing low income people to move out of prime areas, at some point, prime areas become unaffordable...supply and demand. although i agree that government efforts can help/hurt affordability

Posted on: 2016/3/22 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/22 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
well, how many low income residents live in prime areas of mahattan, san francisco, los angeles, sao paolo, london, paris, moscow, lagos, buenos aires, sydney, beijing .....

In Manhattan, quite a few. But other international cities are terrible at intermingling residents based on income. In fact, it is common (and quite accepted) that poorer residents are relegated to living in the periphery of major cities, with longer commutes and poorer conditions, than more affluent residents living within city limits.

As for San Francisco, the situation there is really complex and complicated. Even the middle class is getting squeezed out, but really as a result of misguided policies that have had a bad effect on real estate inventory.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, how many low income residents live in prime areas of mahattan, san francisco, los angeles, sao paolo, london, paris, moscow, lagos, buenos aires, sydney, beijing .....

Posted on: 2016/3/22 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Low income

Posted on: 2016/3/22 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
It always seemed really unfair to me that some low in one residents are forced to live in crime ridden neighborhoods while others can live in brand new subsidized buildings in prime locations. Well I guess if it buys them Dems some votes this practice will continue.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
interesting article from nyt on rent control in 1981

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/02/nyr ... ased-to-spur-housing.html

Posted on: 2016/3/22 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
In my neighborhood (Lafayette), it seems that maybe at least half of the units are not market based. Thus, there are swaths of cheap rentals, or the subsidized owner occupied two families. The medium sized buildings are rent controlled. Even many of the smaller deregulated buildings take Section 8 Vouchers. Yet Fulop and city council members go on and on like Tribunes of the People, promising free rent unabashed about the naked demagoguery of it all. See, for example, this press release.
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... Trust%20Fund%20Awards.pdf.
And, we can?t talk about it. I was at a meeting hosted by the City Planning Office and the City Planner, Matt Ward, basically refused to allow a discussion about the deleterious effects of subsidized housing.
Yet the science is pretty much settled that none of these programs work but instead have perverse effects. Even the New York Times grudgingly admits it.
times.com/2013/07/28/magazine/the-perverse-effects-of-rent-regulation.html?_r=0
See also,
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa127.html
Of course, a campaign to stem and increase in subsidized/controlled housing would be dead on arrival no matter what the evidence.

I like the Cato Institute well enough, but they are a libertarian thinktank pushing a specific agenda. Your NY Times link isn?t an editorial board comment, which would mean that the NY Times is endorsing the message, it is a column written by a libertarian economist.

The fact of the matter is that the existence of below market rate units inside of large market rate buildings exists because placing too many individuals of poverty together creates environments too unhealthy for anyone in town to live with. By spacing out the issue of low income and mixing them sporadically throughout the city, you decrease the likelihood of a child joining a gang which we often see in housing projects.

If you are talking about rent control? well, yes, this does create certain burdens on landlords and other tenants in the building. However, we?ve seen how things were prior to rent control. People were forced out and moved on. NYC would have been quite a homogenous zone were it not for the rules and regulations in place.

Lastly, as much as certain economists play down the role of society and the knowledge gained by living with and near people of different races, religions, backgrounds and economics is informative and helps individuals grow. Instead of listening to an echo chamber of the same ideas from similar people with similar backgrounds and economics, you at least get to hear a different perspective regardless of whether you agree or not.

In the end, you, me and the rest of our city, state and country are better off having a few people around us that don?t quite meet our economic standards. A little perspective is always helpful. It also doesn?t hurt when you help those less fortunate.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 17:56
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The services for affordable housing does not come from the city it is an extra tax hidden in schools and county services. JC should do a realistic formula on what affordable housing cost taxpayers.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
The state program, COAH, mandates that towns provide afforable housing. What JC has far and away exceeds anything they'd ever require, so JC doesn't even participate. Incidentally, ward E has more subsidized housing than any other ward, something that many find hard to believe.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Most cities do not have enough affordable housing....I would not be surprised if that is the case in JC.

This will grow worse and worse as development continues. Just look at our neighbors to the east.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
In my neighborhood (Lafayette), it seems that maybe at least half of the units are not market based. Thus, there are swaths of cheap rentals, or the subsidized owner occupied two families. The medium sized buildings are rent controlled. Even many of the smaller deregulated buildings take Section 8 Vouchers. Yet Fulop and city council members go on and on like Tribunes of the People, promising free rent unabashed about the naked demagoguery of it all. See, for example, this press release.
And, we can?t talk about it. I was at a meeting hosted by the City Planning Office and the City Planner, Matt Ward, basically refused to allow a discussion about the deleterious effects of subsidized housing.
Yet the science is pretty much settled that none of these programs work but instead have perverse effects. Even the New York Times grudgingly admits it.
See also,
Of course, a campaign to stem and increase in subsidized/controlled housing would be dead on arrival no matter what the evidence.

so you suggest what? move people out of their homes to another area?

Posted on: 2016/3/4 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
See also,

Posted on: 2016/3/4 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Affordable housing is listed in the budget. The exception is Public Housing which pays JC nothing. Their deal is unlike other towns, allowed public housing to deduct water and other utilities before the city receives any payment. That payment stopped in the 1960s. The budget does not tell you how many units are listed. You would need to read individual tax abatements agreements. You asked an interesting question. Over 1/4 of JC properties are under some sort of tax abatement but that includes market rate too. Most of the tax abatements do go to affordable housing.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 22:08

What percentage of housing in Jersey City is "affordable"?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if there is a breakdown of the Jersey City housing stock as to what is "affordable" and what is market. Affordable would include all rent controlled and stabilized buildings, all housing projects, all set asides that developers do in projects and any other special housing , e.g. senior housing, etc.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 21:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017