Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Modera Lofts - Powerhouse Arts District - 350 Warren Street in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Than you so much for the details. I own a brownstone that I occupy full time. But I thought the lobby of the Modera had such wow factor I was only fantasizing about living there for a year. I don't think I ever would have done that. I am sorry to hear that you living conditions aren't what you thought they would be.

Quote:

JonnyF86 wrote:
I would seriously re-consider renting here. It's really bad. Yes, the lobby and the amenities are very nice, I have to say that.

But, it is EXTREMELY noisy. I've lived in other apt buildings in the middle of cities before, too, and this is horrible. The noise travels up and down several floors; you would expect that you can occasionally hear your neighbor on the side or above, but you can hear if someone is having a party several floors above. Again, really bad. @Schmo is completely correct. I can give more details about specifics if you want to get in touch with me.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 18:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/6 1:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I would seriously re-consider renting here. It's really bad. Yes, the lobby and the amenities are very nice, I have to say that.

But, it is EXTREMELY noisy. I've lived in other apt buildings in the middle of cities before, too, and this is horrible. The noise travels up and down several floors; you would expect that you can occasionally hear your neighbor on the side or above, but you can hear if someone is having a party several floors above. Again, really bad. @Schmo is completely correct. I can give more details about specifics if you want to get in touch with me.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
sorry to hear that you're not happy. I walked by today and thought the lobby looked amazing. Quote:

Schmo wrote:
They spent a lot of money on the building. Too bad they didn't build better walls between the apartments. I just moved in and the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything.

It's going to be a long year.....

Posted on: 2016/7/21 19:13

Modera Lofts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Today I stopped in the lobby of this building as I was passing by. It's a really nice looking lobby. Who ever designed it did a great job. I haven't seen any of the units, so I can't comment on that. But the lobby is really sexy. I'm giving thought to renting out my brownstone and renting here for a year just for the fun of it.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 17:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/29 14:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
They spent a lot of money on the building. Too bad they didn't build better walls between the apartments. I just moved in and the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything.

It's going to be a long year.....

Posted on: 2016/6/17 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Luxury apartment building with 110-year-old history opens in Downtown Jersey City

By Mak Ojutiku | The Jersey Journal
Email the author
on June 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM, updated June 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM

JERSEY CITY -- A piece of Downtown Jersey City history officially has new life. 

A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Wednesday afternoon for Modera Lofts, an eight-floor, 500,000-square-foot luxury apartment building located at 350 Warren St.

The $150 million apartment building was built out of the former Butler Warehouse, a 110-year-old storage facility that was empty for roughly five decades.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... or_jersey_city_luxur.html

Posted on: 2016/6/17 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Preserving History: From Butler Bros to Modera Lofts

JERSEY DIGS:  By Darrell Simmons - May 3, 2016

butler bros modera loft lounge spaceWhen we first toured Modera Lofts it was at the height of construction. Now that the building is complete, we had to get back in to see the finished product. Ever since our first tour, we’ve had a soft spot for this project. Back then we were impressed with the level of respect Mill Creek had for incorporating the building’s history into the new reuse.

modera lofts jersey city lobbyAs we walked through the recently finished building a few weeks ago, it was clear that Mill Creek didn’t just restore the building. Instead, they took it a step further, preserving many of the items found from its days as a distribution hub for Butler Bros. In an effort to connect its past with its future, these items have been restored and are used decoratively throughout the building.

Read more:  http://jerseydigs.com/preserving-history-butler-bros-modera-lofts/

Posted on: 2016/5/4 2:31

Re: Modera Lofts - Powerhoure Arts District - 350 Warren Street in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
This is a wonderful project! After years of watching the old loft buildings in PADNA be demolished for parking garages with a high-rise plopped on top, it's really encouraging to see a carefully planned adaptive re-use that preserves the character of the building. I wish there were photos of some of the units - but if they are finished as the site claims, with high ceilings, exposed beams, even the smaller units will have a lot of character.

And you couldn't ask for a better location - in Jersey City's best neighborhood, with a 5 minute walk to the PATH. I see this doing really well, as it's increasingly harder to find space and amenities of this quality, at this rent, in Manhattan.

It's a shame the designers didn't do a better job with the interior spaces. Trying to push 1 and 2 br apts with no windows in the bedrooms? They should take down all the walls in these places and call them lofts.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 21:09

Re: Powerhoure Arts District - 350 Warren Street in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I compared the renderings with the existing photos - it looks like they made the windows deeper, by removing masonry under the sill. This changes the proportions somewhat, now that the windows don't fit within the decorative brick banding, but it's reasonably sensitive. The overall impression of a massive brick structure with many window openings is kept, and the multi-pane sash are in keeping with the building's type and age. It would have been awful to have turned the old windows into picture windows. Overall, a sensitive intervention.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This is a wonderful project! After years of watching the old loft buildings in PADNA be demolished for parking garages with a high-rise plopped on top, it's really encouraging to see a carefully planned adaptive re-use that preserves the character of the building. I wish there were photos of some of the units - but if they are finished as the site claims, with high ceilings, exposed beams, even the smaller units will have a lot of character.

And you couldn't ask for a better location - in Jersey City's best neighborhood, with a 5 minute walk to the PATH. I see this doing really well, as it's increasingly harder to find space and amenities of this quality, at this rent, in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Rental_B ... _a_bedroom_in_NJ_s-140271

I think the sales staff are stretching the definition of a bedroom, 7 of the 13 1 bedroom apts have a closet but no window.

Really, really weird... Out of the 10 floorplans for 2-bedroom apartments:
- 3 have one bedroom with windows facing outdoors and one without
- 2 have no windows facing outdoors in either bedroom
- 5 have windows facing outdoors in both bedrooms

Posted on: 2016/2/29 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Bobipooh - if you care so much - why don't you ask the rental office at Modera what they think a bedroom is.

Nah... I am quite set where I am, a few blocks away, with three bedrooms that have windows facing outdoors.

But, I am not sure why you are getting upset by my using the very document to which you provided a link to corroborate what someone else stated earlier in this thread.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Bobipooh - if you care so much - why don't you ask the rental office at Modera what they think a bedroom is.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I believe it's about light and ventilation to make a room habitable. The walls of the "bedroom" don't go up to the ceiling, allowing ventilation and light into the space. Apparently it doesn't have to be a "window".

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/ ... eg/pdf_regs/njac_5_28.pdf

What? Directly from the document you just linked (emphasis mine):

"Every habitable room shall have at least one window or skylight facing directly to the outdoors. The minimum total window or skylight area measured between stops, for every habitable room shall be eight percent of the floor area of such room."

Posted on: 2016/2/29 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I believe it's about light and ventilation to make a room habitable. The walls of the "bedroom" don't go up to the ceiling, allowing ventilation and light into the space. Apparently it doesn't have to be a "window".

vampires need to sleep too

Posted on: 2016/2/29 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/28 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
oh vey, $2070 for a 446 square foot studio. is this a micro building? i like the fact that it has underground parking - smart.

it seems to me that people are getting greedy with the prices!

This is even worse, a 2 br/2 ba for $4000 with no windows in the bedrooms, apt B06.
http://www.millcreekplaces.com/commun ... rsey-city/floorPlans#main

I thought by law (to meet minimum fire code regulations) every single bedroom in an apartment MUST have at least one operable window...did something change in the last few years?!

I am curious about the same thing. My understanding has always been that a bedroom must have a window in order for it to be deemed a legal bedroom. The apartment highlighted (B06) has zero windows in either bedroom. (!!)

Posted on: 2016/2/28 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
oh vey, $2070 for a 446 square foot studio. is this a micro building? i like the fact that it has underground parking - smart.

This is even worse, a 2 br/2 ba for $4000 with no windows in the bedrooms, apt B06.

I thought by law (to meet minimum fire code regulations) every single bedroom in an apartment MUST have at least one operable window...did something change in the last few years?!

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Rental_B ... _a_bedroom_in_NJ_s-140271

I think the sales staff are stretching the definition of a bedroom, 7 of the 13 1 bedroom apts have a closet but no window.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 22:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/28 22:32
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

ShouldntAssume wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Hmm let me see. You have several luxury apartment buildings in the area. Two Trump Towers. 50, 70, and soon to be 80 Columbus, a new 18 Story Mid Rise coming in the parking lot which is now closed down. The Morgan and their new tower going up. So I think the prices are justified. They are par for the course. Judging from the floor plan, it is pretty large. That is a massive space.

Are windows really something that is needed? Do you look out them constantly? Do you gaze out of them while you are sleeping? How much time a week do you spend looking out windows? I am very curious. Is natural light a real concern in this day and age when we have something called electricity? Do we live in the Stone Age? You know we invented the wheel too!

Let me get this straight. You have a 100+ year old BRICK building. The windows are where they are. So you wanted them to maybe break down all the walls to get more windows? Did you want them to knock down the wood support beams to get a window? I am dumbfounded by the comment here. You wanted them to only have a small portion of apartments along the walls and then have even more apartment with no windows? Do you know how design works? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!
wow. someone is sensitive. depending on how big the living room is. I guess one could do wihout windows in the bedroom....but I wonder if it feels like acave. well, to each one's own

No sensitive. I just hate STUPIDITY!

Posted on: 2016/2/28 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/28 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ShouldntAssume wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Hmm let me see. You have several luxury apartment buildings in the area. Two Trump Towers. 50, 70, and soon to be 80 Columbus, a new 18 Story Mid Rise coming in the parking lot which is now closed down. The Morgan and their new tower going up. So I think the prices are justified. They are par for the course. Judging from the floor plan, it is pretty large. That is a massive space.

Are windows really something that is needed? Do you look out them constantly? Do you gaze out of them while you are sleeping? How much time a week do you spend looking out windows? I am very curious. Is natural light a real concern in this day and age when we have something called electricity? Do we live in the Stone Age? You know we invented the wheel too!

Let me get this straight. You have a 100+ year old BRICK building. The windows are where they are. So you wanted them to maybe break down all the walls to get more windows? Did you want them to knock down the wood support beams to get a window? I am dumbfounded by the comment here. You wanted them to only have a small portion of apartments along the walls and then have even more apartment with no windows? Do you know how design works? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!
wow. someone is sensitive. depending on how big the living room is. I guess one could do wihout windows in the bedroom....but I wonder if it feels like acave. well, to each one's own

Posted on: 2016/2/28 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
ShouldntAssume Who do you represent, you registered today to defend some expensive buildings?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 4:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/28 4:03

Re: Dallas firm plans to build luxury apartments in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I often wonder why the media mentions the location of where a developer comes from?
I wonder if a Freedom of Information request might reveal if this developer has being providing campaign money to anyone in our State!

I would like to see contact names on the ownership records instead of LLC & INC. It is high time we get some accountability around here.

Accountable for what? Saving a historic building in the historic district in Jersey City? Instead of knocking down like all other companies, they kept it and took on a challenge. What accountability do you want to hold them for?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 4:00

Re: Powerhoure Arts District - 350 Warren Street in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
Are they going to make those windows bigger? They look like your old style jail cell windows you see in cartoons and movies.

Actually if you look at old pictures of the building on Google, the windows were barred up. However, they are much bigger now. So how much of the original brick did you want them to tear down to make bigger windows? It is a historic building after all.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 3:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

It is a studio..............................................

Posted on: 2016/2/28 3:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/28 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/28 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/28 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Warehouse Converted to Rental Lofts

When the Butler Brothers building rose near the Jersey City waterfront 111 years ago, the immense brick structure was a testament to the city’s manufacturing prowess. Shaped like the letter E, the eight-story warehouse spanned a square city block and was a distribution center for the Chicago-based company’s catalog business and its Ben Franklin five-and-dime stores and Federated stores.

Now, like so many relics of the past, the warehouse at 350 Warren Street is being reimagined as 366 residential lofts, and rechristened for a new generation as Modera Lofts, with monthly rents starting at about $2,070 for a 446-square-foot studio. Reminders of its grittier past hang from the walls: In one apartment’s den, steel pulleys from the original elevators poke through the exposed brick. Original wood beams crisscross the ceilings of the 500,000-square-foot building with brick walls measuring two feet thick.

“You don’t see something like that on this scale — it’s quite extraordinary,” said John Gomez, a founder of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy and an architectural historian who is writing a book about Gothic architecture. “The Butler building is a time capsule for the Arts and Crafts style of building on an industrial scale.”

Read more:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/rea ... amp;pgtype=imageslideshow

Posted on: 2016/2/27 0:52

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017