Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Chic Pea
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I never even heard of the Chic Pea blog until it was mentioned in this thread, nor had I heard of the woman that puts it up. I'd say that those who dislike the woman and/or her blog have created something of a Streisand effect. I went to her blog and found it rather entertaining. Not saying I'd go to it for any restaurant-related advice, but I found it to be a good read. Also, while I'm sure she may get some $ from the ads on her site, and $ from businesses she "reviews" (i.e. talks up and gives publicity to), I doubt she's getting rich from that. I certainly don't buy into her philosophy that we should patronize a business/restaurant just because it is "local" (whatever that means anymore) but she's entitled to her opinion.

Why are people making comments about how she looks or her weight? She looks pretty normal to me, and in good shape for someone who went through a pregnancy.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I don't read chicpea. Maybe some of you haters should get a life and do the same. Who cares what she writes about?

I'm enjoying how you failed to see the irony of writing this comment before posting it.

Posted on: 2016/6/1 0:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It's like a car crash...just can't look away

Posted on: 2016/5/31 23:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/18 19:32
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If you want horrible shit like this to go away then stop clicking on these awful sites and giving them traffic. It's called voting with your click.

Posted on: 2016/5/31 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
I don't read chicpea. Maybe some of you haters should get a life and do the same. Who cares what she writes about?

Posted on: 2016/5/31 19:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/26 16:35
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/26 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Is Chicpea's husband paying the webmaster also?? Seems weird that all the nice posts about her get to stay up while anything criticizing her is deleted. Crazy how those standards aren't applied to all the racist stuff that gets posted on here!

Posted on: 2016/2/27 17:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cbg wrote:
It's a blog about Jersey City, written by someone who once declared on twitter "I am Jersey City". So residents of JC have every right to critique it. Especially on a message board about JC. It may not be nice or productive to make fun of her looks, but that's the way the internet works, so...
The blog does showcase perhaps the worst writing I've ever seen.

Goodness what else did she say on Twitter!?

Twitter fingers turn to trigger fingers...
Meek mill bro. Ya heard

Posted on: 2016/2/27 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cbg wrote:
It's a blog about Jersey City, written by someone who once declared on twitter "I am Jersey City". So residents of JC have every right to critique it. Especially on a message board about JC. It may not be nice or productive to make fun of her looks, but that's the way the internet works, so...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/2/27 15:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/27 6:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I don't disagree with you... what point are you making?

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Chic pea is a brand... a brand that is used to make money. No one is tearing her down - they are questioning the brand and how she uses it. I am sure she (the person) is delightful, but I think Chic Pea sucks - actually contrived, juvenile, and poorly planned to be specific. I dont read her blog for those reasons.

I get it... Chic Pea means well, loves the city, blah blah, but she is getting her nut too. A lot of this is like saying, don't give that crappy restaurant one star on yelp because its a local business and we should like all local businesses, because they're local, and local is good. Come on now.

She deserve criticism as much as she deserves love.

You mean she wants to get paid for the work she does? How dare she?

Yes, she's paid advertising for JC local businesses but she doesn't pretend to be Consumer Reports. And paid advertising existed a long time before her. All in all, she brings more publicity to JC, which is a good thing.

You seem to have a problem with her getting paid for her services

you seem to have a problem detecting sarcasm.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have no problem with that - I fully support it.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Chic pea is a brand... a brand that is used to make money. No one is tearing her down - they are questioning the brand and how she uses it. I am sure she (the person) is delightful, but I think Chic Pea sucks - actually contrived, juvenile, and poorly planned to be specific. I dont read her blog for those reasons.

I get it... Chic Pea means well, loves the city, blah blah, but she is getting her nut too. A lot of this is like saying, don't give that crappy restaurant one star on yelp because its a local business and we should like all local businesses, because they're local, and local is good. Come on now.

Yes, she's paid advertising for JC local businesses but she doesn't pretend to be Consumer Reports. And paid advertising existed a long time before her. All in all, she brings more publicity to JC, which is a good thing.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WordsOfaHooker wrote:
Anyone that promotes and helps bring positive awareness to JC is great in my book. I read her blog and enjoy it. I've interacted with her and she's been lovely.

If you don't like her blog, don't read it. No point in tearing her down while she's doing something positive for the community.

I second this, though I've never met her. I don't see where she does any harm. The woman keeps a positive attitude and promotes the city we live in. I cannot grasp the need by some to drag her down...

Posted on: 2016/2/26 20:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
All in all, she brings more publicity to JC, which is a good thing.

Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Chic pea is a brand... a brand that is used to make money. No one is tearing her down - they are questioning the brand and how she uses it.

Some people are criticizing her writing skills, but numerous people are attacking her personal appearance. That's pretty low. It's also far too common on the Internets, especially when the author or owner is a woman.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Chickpea the restaurant is in Journal Square -
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chickpea-jersey-city

That's not a typo btw.

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I assumed this was another post about another downtown restaurant, so ignored it till now. You learn something new every day! I'm glad to have the link to the blog, I think she's fun, friendly. It's great she featured a local place in the Heights, and did a fashion shoot in Riverview Park. So her restaurant reviews are not Zagat worthy, they're less self-conscious and self-referential than Yelp.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I assumed this was another post about another downtown restaurant, so ignored it till now. You learn something new every day! I'm glad to have the link to the blog, I think she's fun, friendly. It's great she featured a local place in the Heights, and did a fashion shoot in Riverview Park. So her restaurant reviews are not Zagat worthy, they're less self-conscious and self-referential than Yelp.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
You think anyone outside of JC actually reads that blog?? For what????

Posted on: 2016/2/26 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/26 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/26 16:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
agree. She?s not saying she?s a self-acclaimed food critic. She clearly is passionate about her city and is doing what she can to promote these small businesses that are opening up to make this place a fun and unique place to live.

The only reason we are talking about her is bc she is getting a lot of traffic on her site so she is doing something right.

034BBB68-ABDD-4553-BDCF-4E83B4AAFB55

Posted on: 2016/2/26 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/9 17:07
From The Village, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone that promotes and helps bring positive awareness to JC is great in my book. I read her blog and enjoy it. I've interacted with her and she's been lovely.

If you don't like her blog, don't read it. No point in tearing her down while she's doing something positive for the community.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 23:06
WordsOfaHooker (I didn't get lucky in the last name department)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Perhaps that is why businesses are paying her to do sponsored posts, because they are written so well (not from a grammar/exclamation point perspective...or whatever else twists up some of your panties) that they actual sound like authentic reviews.

i think the general issue is that they appear the opposite of "authentic", as far as traditional blog writing/review goes.

I'm in the "who cares" camp, but can not bring myself to read much on there.

I like blogs, even if the writing is garbage you can pull good info out of them in some cases. But I have an extreme aversion to the new word of advertising trying to pass as content, across all media. It's a sad trend that is only going to get worse and will never end unfortunately.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Get a life folks. It's a free country. You don't like what she's doing don't go to her site.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, some of the comments here are low. Why would anybody make fun of somebody so blatantly, especially knowing that there's a good chance she may read this site from time to time? It's just a person doing something she enjoys, and not hurting anybody.

I have no connection to Chicpea but I occasionally read the blog because it's about Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
The small businesses pay her for the interviews and coverage? I just thought that she is just another self appointed Jersey City expert from like the mid-west or like Mass. Whenever I happen to read something from her it's like ' oh wow oh how wonderful ' the new business is. Then it goes under and she's like onto the next wonderful fantastic Jersey City small business yadda yadda yadda. Bunch of fluff with no substance. She will eventually grow up, get married, have babies and move to like Montclair. It's all so so very silly!

Too bad she doesn't do important things like you, huh?

Posted on: 2016/2/25 2:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/31 20:12
From JC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
The small businesses pay her for the interviews and coverage? I just thought that she is just another self appointed Jersey City expert from like the mid-west or like Mass. Whenever I happen to read something from her it's like ' oh wow oh how wonderful ' the new business is. Then it goes under and she's like onto the next wonderful fantastic Jersey City small business yadda yadda yadda. Bunch of fluff with no substance. She will eventually grow up, get married, have babies and move to like Montclair. It's all so so very silly!

The funny thing is...she is married with a kid. And these poor schleps have to endure her face in her phone at every meal. I've witnessed it. These poor folks...they suffer along with the rest of us.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/25 0:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017