Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Chic Pea
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
I'm a blogger-- not about JC-- with several hundred thousand monthly readers (that's pretty big in my industry). While it wouldn't be fun to see a thread bashing me, to be honest it's part of the business and wouldn't elicit more than a shrug. Several of my blogger friends recently had fun with negative comments by reading them spoken word style and putting up the video on you tube. It's better to be polarizing than boring at any rate.

I haven't read this person's blog but if putting herself prominently in her posts works for her, then she should by all means continue. It's not my personal style but we all do what works for us. If she explicitly discloses receiving payment for reviews (which is really advertising) then who cares. Don't read it or start your own blog. Like mainstream journalists, I go on press trips all the time and disclose it (but don't accept payment, it's not my thing). Ultimately it's the size of your readership that determines your success, not what is said on some random thread on jclist.

It's 2016- no one is in the dark about how sponsored posts or blogs in general work- I don't even know what your point is if you've never read the blog we are discussing.

The criticism being directed torwards her is because she acts like her sponsored posts are authentic reviews when they aren't and then dopey idiots come on JCList to share her sham reviews for new places (which are always glowing and contain no actual criticism). And since its JCList it (of course) escalates.

Thanks for letting us all know about your thousands of followers though!

Perhaps that is why businesses are paying her to do sponsored posts, because they are written so well (not from a grammar/exclamation point perspective...or whatever else twists up some of your panties) that they actual sound like authentic reviews.

Seems like people don't get it...it's a blog...her blog...she can do whatever she wants. if people aren't interested in it, it'll shrivel up and disappear...if they are interested in it'll continue. Seems to be continuing for the time being.

also if you read her blog you'll notice that a lot of the other posts are written by others.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
I'm a blogger-- not about JC-- with several hundred thousand monthly readers (that's pretty big in my industry). While it wouldn't be fun to see a thread bashing me, to be honest it's part of the business and wouldn't elicit more than a shrug. Several of my blogger friends recently had fun with negative comments by reading them spoken word style and putting up the video on you tube. It's better to be polarizing than boring at any rate.

I haven't read this person's blog but if putting herself prominently in her posts works for her, then she should by all means continue. It's not my personal style but we all do what works for us. If she explicitly discloses receiving payment for reviews (which is really advertising) then who cares. Don't read it or start your own blog. Like mainstream journalists, I go on press trips all the time and disclose it (but don't accept payment, it's not my thing). Ultimately it's the size of your readership that determines your success, not what is said on some random thread on jclist.

It's 2016- no one is in the dark about how sponsored posts or blogs in general work- I don't even know what your point is if you've never read the blog we are discussing.

The criticism being directed torwards her is because she acts like her sponsored posts are authentic reviews when they aren't and then dopey idiots come on JCList to share her sham reviews for new places (which are always glowing and contain no actual criticism). And since its JCList it (of course) escalates.

AHEM, hundreds of thousands, thank you.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/24 0:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/23 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This one's funny... jclist on fleek!

Both Chicpea and Yvonne make a point of putting themselves out there as local public figures, unabashedly sharing their opinions and submitting themselves to the scrutiny of the people they are trying to reach. They are adults and have to take the sh!t with the good.

That being said... I've had the misfortune of (briefly) reading her blog and watching interviews she's conducted - all have the production value of middle school project - it's funny; the misspellings and preparation of a teenager. You can't be that sloppy when you want to be a local authority. I don't doubt she's a nice person... but juvenile is what she presents to the broader world.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Having read her blog, I have yet to come across a negative review. I have eaten at some of the restaurants she raves about and honestly the food isn't all that great. So I don't buy into what she's pushing.

But I do give her credit for highlighting places one otherwise would not notice.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Even the people she covers thinks she's lame- she tried to pretend to be down with WFMU and Prove it All Night did a sketch making fun of how her blog is just a thousand pictures of her own face.

Any idea which show it was?

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Naw freak, it was about this mess of humanity - you gots your peoples mixed up it seems.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... entrification_yellin.html

I was a total innocent you see, just walking past with mah dog (Kanye X) and he caught a whiff of jiff and it totally set him off.

Resized Image

Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

She should beat the OP's ass - Old School JC style.

This is a case in point about the double standards of offense on display here. Last year when that young woman was peddling her "JC Take it back" canard, this poster made several vulgar comments speculating about the fragrance of a certain part of her anatomy. Yet now he calls out the OP for stating a negative opinion on Chic Pea's writing style and general demeanor when he met her in person.

If you are going to express faux outrage, at least try to be faux consistent about what offends your faux online persona...

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Uh people aren't trashing ChicPea for her looks- there was one person who made a rude comment. Everyone else is trashing her because she acts like she's bringing attention to local spots but all the "coverage" is pictures of herself. You'd have to be an idiot to think her blog is serving JC- it serves herself and her husband foots the bill while she plays like its a real job that people pay her to do. If it wasn't a total display of narcissism and actually had substance more people would be into it. Her hype is entirely created by her plastering her face everywhere to make up for having nothing new or original to say. I can get a review of a local restaurant on Yelp without having to look at twenty "sponsered" shots of her eating.

Even the people she covers thinks she's lame- she tried to pretend to be down with WFMU and Prove it All Night did a sketch making fun of how her blog is just a thousand pictures of her own face.

Also I think it's hilarious that webmaster is okay with all the racist shit that goes on here but god forbid anyone make fun of chicpea!

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:

This is a case in point about the double standards of offense on display here. Last year when that young woman was peddling her "JC Take it back" canard, this poster made several vulgar comments speculating about the fragrance of a certain part of her anatomy. Yet now he calls out the OP for stating a negative opinion on Chic Pea's writing style and general demeanor when he met her in person.

If you are going to express faux outrage, at least try to be faux consistent about what offends your faux online persona...

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I was the one that made (one of) the offending comment in the other thread. It was an offhand comment, not with malicious intent, but in jest. In retrospect, it was not something I should have said in a public forum.

I would also add that, as others have indicated, it is somewhat amusing to see the selective outrage and PC attitude displayed by some in here.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LittleJimSheehy wrote:
While I do not (nearly) approve of the post at the genesis of this thread, I do think we collectively need to reflect on the selectivity of the "PC" on this board. For instance, it seems many of the same people blasting the personal criticism of Chicpea also personally blast Yvonne. Whether you and I like and/or agree with her, Yvonne should not be a target of obscenely hurtful personal attacks - the same way poking fun at Lynn's appearance ABSOLUTELY crosses the line (even if she has thrust herself into the public discourse via seemingly relentless self-promotion).

It does seem relevant that Lynn accepts money to engineer a "neutral" review of local businesses.

However, personally attacking her appearance is brutally inappropriate -- the same way personal attacks on folks like Yvonne (who may not always agree, God forbid, with the Administration) are patently out-of-bounds.

Sorry for going on here ... I frequently lurk, but rarely post. I do not mean to assert that I back Yvonne, her positions or her posts. However, I do think this board needs some consistency in its PC approach: Being "polite" and "constructive" should apply to everyone.

I cannot recall anyone blasting Yvonne for her looks.

I have called her out for her consistent need to lie about information as well as to falsely ascribe an occurrence as a cause. That goes back to her honesty.

Lynn doesn't discuss politics. She covers the socialite scene as well as the various new, and old, businesses that exist in our city. Whether you like the approach or not, her website does bring attention to businesses that many people might not know about.

Alternatively, Yvonne is just as much, if not more so, a self-promoter as Lynn. The difference is that Lynn doesn't go out to attack anyone. She also doesn't run around to various community meetings in town to inject herself in the conversation. Yvonne, while living in the Heights, attends a Ward F council meeting, sits in a chair that could have gone to a Ward F resident and then takes up the police and mayor's time by asking questions pertinent to her and not necessarily those of Ward F residents.

Yvonne has enjoyed making taxes a massive concern. In the meantime, she was able to greatly benefit from paying below market taxes on a property for decades. Abatements for development in that region greatly increased the property value of her property enabling her to pocket a significant amount of money. When other areas of the city see similar events occur, she fights it. By definition, she is the quintessential "I've got mine. Screw you for trying to get yours."

The attacks on Yvonne aren't personal. They are statements of fact. Her dishonesty and hypocrisy is always relevant to any topic she gets involved in.

Meanwhile, Lynn is attack for her looks by people living in glass houses. Comparing the two isn't remotely on par.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
She's a hoot, she takes a work out class with us.

The people here who enjoy making fun of her unfortunately are too cowardly to actually say it to her face.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LittleJimSheehy wrote:
While I do not (nearly) approve of the post at the genesis of this thread, I do think we collectively need to reflect on the selectivity of the "PC" on this board. For instance, it seems many of the same people blasting the personal criticism of Chicpea also personally blast Yvonne. Whether you and I like and/or agree with her, Yvonne should not be a target of obscenely hurtful personal attacks - the same way poking fun at Lynn's appearance ABSOLUTELY crosses the line (even if she has thrust herself into the public discourse via seemingly relentless self-promotion).

It does seem relevant that Lynn accepts money to engineer a "neutral" review of local businesses.

However, personally attacking her appearance is brutally inappropriate -- the same way personal attacks on folks like Yvonne (who may not always agree, God forbid, with the Administration) are patently out-of-bounds.

Sorry for going on here ... I frequently lurk, but rarely post. I do not mean to assert that I back Yvonne, her positions or her posts. However, I do think this board needs some consistency in its PC approach: Being "polite" and "constructive" should apply to everyone.

yes.

I rarely agree with Yvonne, but the attacks on her make JClist a lot less fun to be part of. I feel like I'm back in middle school.

and this thread just solidifies that sentiment.

lately I'm more likely to post my thoughts on the Harsimus Cove Facebook page. maybe it's the lack of anonymity that makes folks over there behave like grownups.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/31 20:12
From JC
Group:
Banned
I second this. Most of the PC police here should realize that commenters on the Hamilton Pork thread specifically requested that ChicPea criticisms should be on its on thread so not to hijack the HP one. And most of the sensitive types on here have no problem being abhorrent to people like Yvonne. Spare us the faux outrage. Probably all from people who wasted their money on that dump of a blog.

Second, it was a lackey of the Chicpea's who drew attention to her by suggesting we use her review of Hamilton Pork as a good review. To which I and others responded about how moronic it is to take advice from a paid review by a self aggrandizing attention whore. All of your replies of "what are you a stalker" or "jealous much?" is such a deflection of the main point: she's polarizing and not well liked in some circles. Rather than try to defend what you think are her redeeming factors, you go to these tired rebuttals. Nice try, but, no.

Yes, the comments on looks and all that were a bit out of bounds, but so what? Calm yourselves down. She chose to be a public figure and self-proclaimed voice of the gentrified parts of JC (sorry, "cultural blogger" i.e. the "make it yours" fangirl). Take the good and bad or GTFO.

Quote:

LittleJimSheehy wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/26 18:55
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's pretty easy to ignore her if you find her so repugnant.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/29 17:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I second the removal of this thread. In reviewing the criteria for posting, I see instructions on being polite and constructive and to avoid personal attacks. Thank you.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

nollid wrote:
This and this.

I check in on this site, and a couple others, including CP, to gather different views. I understand that some will relate to one side of the spectrum, and some will side with the other. But really, to create a thread, all you are doing is making yourself look shallow, and creating more buzz for her. And to the poster(s) in the HP thread attacking her looks? its sad. Let it go; it is a blog.

The person that posted the comment about her height and weight has some serious anger issues. Just ignore him.

Who Marcos? Those who know him in the "real world" know he's a loser.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Op sounds like a stalker, creepy.

I would like to make a formal request to the webmaster of JClist to delete this thread and to BAN the stalker.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nollid wrote:
This and this.

I check in on this site, and a couple others, including CP, to gather different views. I understand that some will relate to one side of the spectrum, and some will side with the other. But really, to create a thread, all you are doing is making yourself look shallow, and creating more buzz for her. And to the poster(s) in the HP thread attacking her looks? its sad. Let it go; it is a blog.

The person that posted the comment about her height and weight has some serious anger issues. Just ignore him.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 16:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/26 17:31
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Pretty sure she's always been small potatoes, but you and others seem to have a bizarre fascination/obsession with her.

Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Nope, just saying that I've met her and have been consistently surprised by her. Usually media people are smart, engaging, cute, etc. and you then find yourself rooting for them. Just honestly never understood her as she's not noted for any of the points, above. I mention her only because the Hamilton Pork thread seemed to be turning into a post about her~ disparaging photos and all.
I admire her for "putting it all out there" if you will. But then I think about the Big Hair Dog Walker sisters (also putting it way out there) and, by contrast, everyone loves 'em because they're good at what they do and super nice to everyone they interact with. There's a sense of honest, niceness about them...and newcomers never cease to be kinda startled when they first catch a glimpse of them.

Yet you keep talking....

In fact, you're really the only one talking about her. We're all talking about you and your odd obsession. It's cool if you dig her. Go say hi. She's nice. Worst she can say is no, right?
She probably won't even air you out for being shallow and insincere on a messageboard or blog, like you're doing to her right now.

Let the girl live. Go have your own fun if you don't like hers.

This and this.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Nope, just saying that I've met her and have been consistently surprised by her. Usually media people are smart, engaging, cute, etc. and you then find yourself rooting for them. Just honestly never understood her as she's not noted for any of the points, above. I mention her only because the Hamilton Pork thread seemed to be turning into a post about her~ disparaging photos and all.
I admire her for "putting it all out there" if you will. But then I think about the Big Hair Dog Walker sisters (also putting it way out there) and, by contrast, everyone loves 'em because they're good at what they do and super nice to everyone they interact with. There's a sense of honest, niceness about them...and newcomers never cease to be kinda startled when they first catch a glimpse of them.

Yet you keep talking....

In fact, you're really the only one talking about her. We're all talking about you and your odd obsession. It's cool if you dig her. Go say hi. She's nice. Worst she can say is no, right?
She probably won't even air you out for being shallow and insincere on a messageboard or blog, like you're doing to her right now.

Let the girl live. Go have your own fun if you don't like hers.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
"you're not even cute"

what, did she turn you down for a date or something?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Pretty sure she's always been small potatoes, but you and others seem to have a bizarre fascination/obsession with her.

+1 Almost as if they run a rival blog and are green with envy. Now fuck off, HP.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 0:43

Chic Pea
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Is she still relevant?
As per the Hamilton Pork thread, lots of folks seemed to call out poor writing skills, with the word "f*ck" serving as a punctuation tool.
I attended a marketing conference for local biz owners here in town a year or so ago and other than "don't f-Ing tint your Instagram photos because it's old school" I learned nothing. She was all "f-tty, f, f" and was quickly a bore.
She's basically a self agrandizing poser, as far as I'm concerned. As a biz owner, you pay for her to interview you....and I've really gotta SMH and wonder who wants to associate themselves with her and her *brand* these days.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 23:11

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017