Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Driving a Uhaul. Need advice please.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I second the motion on going at 4 am. Besides reducing the stress, it's the coolest feeling to drive through the empty NYC streets like you own them.

This is SO true. Anytime I happen to be driving into the city at a really early time, I am always amazed at how cool and desolate it feels in some areas of Manhattan. Driving through Chinatown or Little Italy at 5 AM is downright eerie.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I second the motion on going at 4 am. Besides reducing the stress, it's the coolest feeling to drive through the empty NYC streets like you own them.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I've made the trip before from Bay Ridge to JC a few years ago. Absolutely use the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. It's more expensive but by far the shortest route. It's worth the money to decrease the stress and time on the roads in traffic.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, the morning was just a suggestion obviously.

The goal is to skip peak traffic hours. Also, I apologize, if you're moving TO the JSQ house with a driveway, who cares when you go? You've got a driveway waiting for you! Your life is a bed of roses!

Posted on: 2016/2/17 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
You can use google maps to plan best day and time based on typical traffic. Select typical traffic at the bottom of the map, and move the day/time sliders.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously put a big-ass lock on the rear door.

If you can, back the truck up right against a wall for the night.
A local business, maybe a gas station, would probably let you use their space overnight if you ask nicely and explain the reason for asking. Good luck with your move-

Posted on: 2016/2/16 23:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
good point about loading the night before. the only thing I'm scared about is packing all my worldly belongings in a truck and having it vulnerable in the driveway. the new house is in journal square and there are definitely some sketchy dudes walking around. wish it was an enclosed driveway.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
also remember that you are in a truck not a car when exiting. I forgot once, took a small step and fell for what seemed like 3 minutes of me in the air lol lol lol. good luck

Posted on: 2016/2/16 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
The earlier you do this, the less stressful your life will be. It would honestly be worth it to pay for the extra day just to be able to load the truck at night in JSQ, then get up at 3 or 4 and drive in with no traffic/parking issues. By the time anybody is even waking up, you'll already be unloaded.

Everybody is more lenient before the sun comes up.

Source: I make deliveries and pick ups in the city often. At 5am, you can park wherever you want. At 7am, every doorman, cab driver, and cop are screaming at you to move.

This. Sage advice. Just don't park the Uhaul overnight on the street unattended or you'll get a boot and a nice ticket. Learned that my first night in JC a lonnnggggggg time ago.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
The earlier you do this, the less stressful your life will be. It would honestly be worth it to pay for the extra day just to be able to load the truck at night in JSQ, then get up at 3 or 4 and drive in with no traffic/parking issues. By the time anybody is even waking up, you'll already be unloaded.

Everybody is more lenient before the sun comes up.

Source: I make deliveries and pick ups in the city often. At 5am, you can park wherever you want. At 7am, every doorman, cab driver, and cop are screaming at you to move.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 20:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Great, thanks so much. Very helpful.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcchick1 wrote:
Hi,

I'll be driving a 14-foot Uhaul from Journal Square to Red Hook, Brooklyn next Friday. I've been searching on the internet for best possible driving routes but am getting conflicting advice.

Can you drive a 14-foot Uhaul through the Holland Tunnel or not? I'm more of a timid driver so would really love not to drive all the way up to the George Washington Bridge if I don't have to.

Anyone have advice for the best/easiest routes to get to Brooklyn? Thanks for your help!

Here is all the information you need: http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels ... traffic-restrictions.html

In short, you are OK to drive a U-Haul through the Holland Tunnel. But, from experience, I can tell you that you will likely be asked to pull to the side so they can peek inside. The cops are pretty nice and they will try to get this done quickly, as they don't want to foul up traffic any more than it already may be. As for getting into BK with your U-Haul, if you want fastest and easiest, consider paying the additional toll and go via the Battery Tunnel. It will dump you right in Red Hook. EASY. Or, if you want/need to save money, then go over the Manhattan Bridge, but it will take longer and it can get stressful when driving a large truck. I have done it and it is fine, but you mentioned being a timid driver. Good luck.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 16:53

Driving a Uhaul. Need advice please.

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I'll be driving a 14-foot Uhaul from Journal Square to Red Hook, Brooklyn next Friday. I've been searching on the internet for best possible driving routes but am getting conflicting advice.

Can you drive a 14-foot Uhaul through the Holland Tunnel or not? I'm more of a timid driver so would really love not to drive all the way up to the George Washington Bridge if I don't have to.

Anyone have advice for the best/easiest routes to get to Brooklyn? Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2016/2/16 16:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017