Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Left Bank Burger Bar
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
This was just on Michael Simons new show on the food network. Burgers, Brew and Que. The burgers there are ok, their fried pickles are aces.

Posted on: 2016/2/6 5:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/1 9:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have been to Left Bank numerous times now, and I can
say that it's a super neighborhood joint. It's not a super
gourmet burger, but it's good, the prices are very reasonable,
and you can always get a decent hamburger, chicken sandwich,
lamb burger. I'm glad they are in the neighborhood and hope
they continue to succeed.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 7:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Tried for the first time last week. 20 minute wait, burgers were good. I prefer the ones at White Star Harbor though. But it's a good option in the Grove area.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I tried to return Monday and give them another shot... ANNNND they ran out of beef due to MLK day related shipment issues smh.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 18:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am seeing some positive reviews over on Yelp. Did this place ever take note of the complaints about unseasoned burgers?

We only have been here once and that was soon after opening. The service stunk the food was sub-par. Haven't felt the need to return, just wondering if we should rethink that.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 17:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/1 22:49
From New York/Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
i think it's the best place to have a burger and the price is great, better than Umami Burger in the city...

Posted on: 2014/1/1 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Best burger I've had in JC is available on Tuesdays from Halal Grocer near The Little Sandwich Shop. He makes spicey ground chicken that day. You just slap them together and grill them. Very spicy. Also delicious cold the next day.

Posted on: 2013/12/26 12:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 12:51
Group:
Registered Users
Finally went to Left Bank last night.
The naysayers are right. Prompt service. Good sides. Decent beer selection. Nice decor. Bland burgers. We had the basic and the lamb burger; both a bit on the flavorless side, unfortunately.
If you are going to call yourself a burger bar, you better step up your game.
I'm curious as to how the other entrees stack up. Anyone?

Posted on: 2013/12/26 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
I'm curious, what establishments ARE worthy of you and your wife's taste buds? I guess Pat LaFrieda can still be cheap for some people, but curious then what establishments have better quality and tasting beef?

Even the highest quality beef in the world still needs salt and pepper. I have not tried this place yet and I'm sure I will one day, but numerous reports of a burger bar not seasoning their meat isn't exactly giving me a compelling reason to go there instead of a place like White Star, where they use a Pat LaFrieda-blend that also happens to be very well-seasoned. Toppings can only cover up so much.

Posted on: 2013/12/24 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:

I'm curious, what establishments ARE worthy of you and your wife's taste buds? I guess Pat LaFrieda can still be cheap for some people, but curious then what establishments have better quality and tasting beef?

This wasn't directed at me, but I like a lot of burgers downtown. Skinners, Park & Sixth, Brightside, Hamilton Inn, Iron Monkey, White Star & O'Hara's all have burgers that were better than the Burger Bar.

Basically every place I've tried a hamburger I enjoyed it more than the Left Bank's hamburger. Some I liked more than others (I'm partial to Skinner's), but I would go to just about anyplace in JC to get a burger before I would go back here.

I did like their sides a lot though.

Posted on: 2013/12/24 13:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
For me at least, just about any burger I had in jc was better (park and 6th, lighthorse, five guys, skinners)

I hate to criticise this place but if you call yourself a burger bar, dont half ass it! Season the patty at the very least

Posted on: 2013/12/23 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
My wife and I went back last week after we were disappointed by our first trip there on opening week. We figured any issues would be worked out now two months later and we would see what their "real" product is.

Well, same deal as before. I had the special burger of the night and once again the meat was flavorless. Like it wasn't even salted. The toppings helped but as a place that specializes in burgers they HAVE to get that right. I agree with others that it seems like a preformed patty.

My wife had the lamb burger and it was downright awful. The patty was grey it was so over cooked and again there was no seasoning. You have to TRY to make lamb flavorless. I don't get it.

I will say the fries and service were excellent this time.

That's probably the last time we'll be there and it's unfortunate since the location and atmosphere is great. They probably don't need our support anyways since it's always packed. Would've been nice to have another regular spot in the neighborhood, though.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
maybeMoving, that was my exact reaction. HOW CAN LAMB BE FLAVORLESS? And yet it was.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I have really low standards but I thought the burgers were really good. Not sure what the expectation is.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I went back last week after we were disappointed by our first trip there on opening week. We figured any issues would be worked out now two months later and we would see what their "real" product is.

Well, same deal as before. I had the special burger of the night and once again the meat was flavorless. Like it wasn't even salted. The toppings helped but as a place that specializes in burgers they HAVE to get that right. I agree with others that it seems like a preformed patty.

My wife had the lamb burger and it was downright awful. The patty was grey it was so over cooked and again there was no seasoning. You have to TRY to make lamb flavorless. I don't get it.

I will say the fries and service were excellent this time.

That's probably the last time we'll be there and it's unfortunate since the location and atmosphere is great. They probably don't need our support anyways since it's always packed. Would've been nice to have another regular spot in the neighborhood, though.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds like a place where you need to get your drink on first.. and once you are buzzed enough it will taste good. I will try it his weekend for cocktails and chilling with some friends, glad to know they have liquor without me having to BMOB.

I have no real desire to try the burgers, I have had burgers throughout JC and none of them are my cup of tea. I LOVE the burgers at Bar Boulud on the Upper West Side and so far nothing in JC comes close to that and I am sure nothing ever will.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Five Guys does a much better burger than LB, IMO.[/quote]

A few blocks? half the price?

Neither of those statements are true. [/quote]

Who are you talking to?[/quote]

5 guys is .6 miles from LB Burger a ten minute walk. That being said after tip. A burger, fries and soft drink will cost you around half of what you spend at LB.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 13:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
I really do not think their burgers are any better than 5 guys. That being said, besides the ambiance, why wouldn't someone just walk a few more blocks to eat the same burger for half the price?

Five Guys does a much better burger than LB, IMO.

Neither of those statements are true.

Who are you talking to?

Posted on: 2013/12/19 19:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

JoeGee wrote:
I really do not think their burgers are any better than 5 guys. That being said, besides the ambiance, why wouldn't someone just walk a few more blocks to eat the same burger for half the price?

Five Guys does a much better burger than LB, IMO.

Neither of those statements are true.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Wow, the reviews seem to be wildly inconsistent. Hope the owner and chef read this to get some candid feedback.

I loved the appetizers but I agree with a lot of other people that the burger was bland. That's somewhat offset by having a good selection of toppings, but the burger itself was pretty meh. I doubt I'll be back for a burger. Might stop in for a beer and chili cheese fries though.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The lamb burgers (versus the pressed patty) at Brightside and Park and Sixth are really excellent. Very flavorful meat, cooked just right.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, the reviews seem to be wildly inconsistent. Hope the owner and chef read this to get some candid feedback.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 23:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
I went for lunch last week. The d?cor, the service, the location, all great. Pricing I thought was very reasonable as well. But if you?re going to call yourself a burger bar, you have to at the very least have good tasting burgers. I am almost certain they get patties premade from whatever butcher (pat lafrieda?) and throw them on the cooker (I don?t think they use open fire?). You can see the imprints of the machine that mass assembled the patties and no I am not getting them confused with grill marks. It is certainly lacking seasoning and my medium was not cooked medium. This is the center of your business, you have to at least get that right. I definitely had better burgers in the area and I really hope they can get it together. I will definitely try them again in a few weeks.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
White Star made some pretty solid burgers. The burger selection in DTJC is becoming great. Park and Sixth, White Star, Left Bank, Light horse, all solid choices.

Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
We both had our burgers medium rare and they came out as ordered. Perhaps they are reading the reviews and making the proper adjustments? Either way were definitely going to White Star at Harbor to try them too!

Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
We ate there tonight. Had the 14b and a regular cheeseburger with Gruyere. Everything was awesome. Our server was polite and very prompt. We will be stopping there again when we're in the mood for burgers.

Some of the Yelp reviews are ridiculous. If you want a Park Tavern burger, go to Park Tavern.

What? You had nothing to complain about? How about the smell? the way they greeted you? Maybe it was the silverware or the hovering waiter or the music or the lighting? I'm sure they didn't get your "rare-plus" request right. The seasoning couldn't have been perfect. Surely you could find something to complain about. Please revise and complain so that we know this is a real review and that your opinion really matters...your community depends on it.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I tried this place the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Based on all the reviews, I was a bit hesitant about what to expect. It was fairly empty, but I was by myself, so I grabbed a seat at the bar. The bartender was very friendly, in a non-intrusive way.

Much to my delight, my burger was simply perfect. I chose the Tar Heel burger, with an add-on of onion rings. I particularly liked that I could add on the onion rings without having to order an entire side just for me. The meat came out just as I ordered it (medium) and the combination of flavors mixed perfectly. I was really satisfied. Two beers, and one Tar Heel burger with the onion rings, came out to about 20 bucks. Very reasonable for the product, presentation, ambiance and service. I'll be back.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My medium rare lamb patty was raw, so it can go both ways. For lamb, it was quite bland.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Finally tried this place. I love burgers but they are a rare treat for me so I was really looking forward to it. I found myself mildly disappointed. I had the basic burger (forget the name but it was a cheeseburger with onions and pickles).

PROS:

The decor is very Jersey-centric without being overbearing or cheesy (i.e., they have posters of the 30 acres boxing match). I like that they are clearly proud to be a local place.

The layout is good, not too crowded, and the large windows are good for people watching.

Bar has a decent selection and prices are reasonable (lots of $8-9 cocktails).

Overall pricing is pretty affordable (burgers start at $7, not including fries).

They have a huge and creative selection of toppings (def. trying the bourbon mushrooms next time).

Service was prompt and friendly.

CONS

My medium rare burger barely had any pink in the middle. YOU HAD ONE JOB BURGER CHEF.

The meat itself didn't have a ton of flavor. As opposed to the kind of high end grass fed beef you can get at the farmer's market, which only needs a dash of salt and pepper to taste delicious, I felt that the patties here could use some more spices.

Burgers don't come with a side so you have to order fries or onion rings for an extra $2.

THE VERDICT: I would give the place another chance for sure, especially for drinks with friends or lunch. The total bill was about $40 for two appetizers, one cocktail and one beer, and two burgers - very reasonable. Next time I'll ask for my burger rare and see what happens.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/31 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
I've eaten there twice. Burgers were cooked to order, and service was excellent. We'll be back.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I was there on Tuesday. Enjoyed the "Bankrupt" burger. Disco fries were good, too. I'll be back.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I ate there last week. We thought that it was all right. It wasn't spectacular or anything but variety was impressive, and the service was good. We will go there again.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 19:24

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017