Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the "this is only said by those who hate me" excuse doesn't work in a court, so this is Plan B.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
[quote]
Hopefully this will result in more city services, equipment, and employees.

After a reval, the amount of taxes the city takes in remains the same ? what changes is the share each household is paying.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
'If the judge in the Realty Appraisal case rules that its contract is valid, [JC officials] argue, the reval could proceed immediately. And that's precisely why he shouldn't be allowed to oversee the trial, [JC officials] argue. "The judge knows his taxes could decrease while long time Jersey City residents could see a huge tax increase, depending on his ruling..."'

Please... This is really getting embarrassing - I supported Fulop, but am increasingly souring on him and less likely to look favorably on any Gubernatorial run he has in mind, if he keeps blatantly favoring one group of JC residents over all the others. It's time for the reval, and time for a) everyone to pay their fair share; and b) to match the city's expenditures to the tax levy.

Areas that surged in market value ex: Fulop's new house will see exceptionally higher tax assessments which will result in higher taxes. Hopefully this will result in more city services, equipment, and employees.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 0:42
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Judge denies Jersey City's bid for another delay in reval trial

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
February 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM

JERSEY CITY — The closely watched trial between Jersey City and a West New York revaluation firm began today following a last-minute effort by the city to stall proceedings for another 45 days.

Hudson County Superior Court Judge Francis B Schultz ruled against the city this morning after its attorneys argued that they needed time to review 60,000 emails they recently found on the city's servers that they believe are integral to the case.

Schultz said the city's request to re-open discovery in the trial came too late and didn't satisfy state law that forbids discovery from being re-opened except under exceptional circumstances. The emails have been on the city's servers since before the lawsuit was filed and should have been accessed prior to today, he said.

"The city just didn't look hard enough," he said. "Somebody was very, very lazy in the city's camp."

Schultz's decision paved the way for opening statements to begin. The city's attorneys are giving their opening argument this afternoon.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... delay_in_jersey_city.html

So lame. Fulop is sleazy.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Judge denies Jersey City's bid for another delay in reval trial

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
February 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM

JERSEY CITY — The closely watched trial between Jersey City and a West New York revaluation firm began today following a last-minute effort by the city to stall proceedings for another 45 days.

Hudson County Superior Court Judge Francis B Schultz ruled against the city this morning after its attorneys argued that they needed time to review 60,000 emails they recently found on the city's servers that they believe are integral to the case.

Schultz said the city's request to re-open discovery in the trial came too late and didn't satisfy state law that forbids discovery from being re-opened except under exceptional circumstances. The emails have been on the city's servers since before the lawsuit was filed and should have been accessed prior to today, he said.

"The city just didn't look hard enough," he said. "Somebody was very, very lazy in the city's camp."

Schultz's decision paved the way for opening statements to begin. The city's attorneys are giving their opening argument this afternoon.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... delay_in_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2016/2/16 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
'If the judge in the Realty Appraisal case rules that its contract is valid, [JC officials] argue, the reval could proceed immediately. And that's precisely why he shouldn't be allowed to oversee the trial, [JC officials] argue. "The judge knows his taxes could decrease while long time Jersey City residents could see a huge tax increase, depending on his ruling..."'

Please... This is really getting embarrassing - I supported Fulop, but am increasingly souring on him and less likely to look favorably on any Gubernatorial run he has in mind, if he keeps blatantly favoring one group of JC residents over all the others. It's time for the reval, and time for a) everyone to pay their fair share; and b) to match the city's expenditures to the tax levy.

Posted on: 2016/2/16 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I like Fulop, but he owns this mess. Bring it on indeed!

Posted on: 2016/2/16 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

More

Bring it on!!!!

Posted on: 2016/2/16 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Jersey City tries to make the case that the judge should leave, because he owns in Port Liberte and may pay less because of a reval. I guess JC should recuse because Mayor Fulop owns in the Heights and his may go up in a reval?

That, plus they tried to argue that being a Republican should be an automatic reason for recusing himself. Talk about grasping at straws... So silly to antagonize the judge with silly arguments.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City tries to make the case that the judge should leave, because he owns in Port Liberte and may pay less because of a reval. I guess JC should recuse because Mayor Fulop owns in the Heights and his may go up in a reval?

Posted on: 2016/2/15 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
In reval case, judge likens Jersey City maneuvers to actions of King George III

Story

Posted on: 2016/2/15 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_User wrote:

To neutralize the potential argument against him while avoiding putting off local JC voters, would he not restart the reval process before the primary/election, but ensure that the results are not available/posted until after it? But maybe that's what you were saying all long.

Given that it will take a year to ramp up and then execute a reval it should not be difficult to cause such a timing.

That would be the defensive play.

He might play offense - restructure the reval to cushion it's impact, demonstrate how promoting inward investment in JC has boosted jobs, city and state revenue, affordable housing, developer-sponsored school building, urban renewal and local pension funding. Then argue the case that similar policies implemented state-wide could tackle some of the serious structural issues NJ currently faces. His decision to run in 2017 or 2021 will depend on whether he has enough evidence to make that case.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 12:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Governor elections won't take place until November 2017. I bet Fulop will do everything humanly possible to delay this "sticker shock" until after that date.

I believe that openly/actively delaying the reval would be used against him by his political opponents (i.e. those that hate him) if and when he runs for governor. In the governors race it would be more important to appeal to all of NJ, as opposed to a portion of of Jersey City.

To neutralize the potential argument against him while avoiding putting off local JC voters, would he not restart the reval process before the primary/election, but ensure that the results are not available/posted until after it? But maybe that's what you were saying all long.

Given that it will take a year to ramp up and then execute a reval it should not be difficult to cause such a timing.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
From everything I have read, I am pretty certain the tax rate will end up around 2.1%. All those DTJC homeowners paying effective rates of under 1% will be shellshocked when they get a bill of that is over double their current bills. You could almost feel bad for them, but then again you remember that they have enjoyed the gravy train for far too long, and much of that against someone else's benefit.

As for effect, consider that every 100K in a 30-year mortgage translates to about $450 / month, so 5.4K per year. A difference of 11K in property tax is the equivalent of a 200K mortgage difference.

Governor elections won't take place until November 2017. I bet Fulop will do everything humanly possible to delay this "sticker shock" until after that date.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
From everything I have read, I am pretty certain the tax rate will end up around 2.1%. All those DTJC homeowners paying effective rates of under 1% will be shellshocked when they get a bill of that is over double their current bills. You could almost feel bad for them, but then again you remember that they have enjoyed the gravy train for far too long, and much of that against someone else's benefit.

As for effect, consider that every 100K in a 30-year mortgage translates to about $450 / month, so 5.4K per year. A difference of 11K in property tax is the equivalent of a 200K mortgage difference.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those interested in understanding the basics of a reval, this is a good summary.

http://mygovhelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs ... spx?sSessionID=&aid=10162

Posted on: 2016/2/4 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Remember, the city (along with the school board and county) set a tax levy, not a tax rate. If we get a reval, and assesed values more than double, the city will collect too much money based on the current effective 2% tax rate. Therefore, the tax rate will go down so the city only collects its tax levy. No one knows what the new tax rate will be until they complete the reval. I suppose it's possible to estimate but it would take a lot of estimations and assumptions.

The assumption is that the Jersey City equalization rate is in the right ballpark City-wide. I'd buy a 30% increase on total value of ratables, but not double. Using 2% as a baseline is reasonable - if anything it's likely to come in under that number on an individual downtown property.

Maybe I wasnt clear in my past post, but I agree that the 2% baseline is way too high and is likley to be a lot lower in a reval (maybe less than 1%). I'm not sure I'm understanding the 30% increase on total assessed value... More in the ballpark would be a 230% increase average. Relember, the reval will mean assessed value = market value (in theory). If assesed values are currently only 30% of market value on average, it will take a ~230% increase to get back to 100%.

What you are describing is what the equalization rate does - and is baked into the effective tax rate of ~2%..

JC was assessed at $6b city-wide in 1988. The equalization rate basically says that it is 27.63% of true (current) value $21.6b. The effective rate change will be proportional to difference between actual current value and that $21.6b.

Column [2]*[3]/100 =[1] in attached link.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxat ... df/lptval/2015/hudson.pdf

You're right. I confused the current effective rate with the tax rate.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Remember, the city (along with the school board and county) set a tax levy, not a tax rate. If we get a reval, and assesed values more than double, the city will collect too much money based on the current effective 2% tax rate. Therefore, the tax rate will go down so the city only collects its tax levy. No one knows what the new tax rate will be until they complete the reval. I suppose it's possible to estimate but it would take a lot of estimations and assumptions.

The assumption is that the Jersey City equalization rate is in the right ballpark City-wide. I'd buy a 30% increase on total value of ratables, but not double. Using 2% as a baseline is reasonable - if anything it's likely to come in under that number on an individual downtown property.

Maybe I wasnt clear in my past post, but I agree that the 2% baseline is way too high and is likley to be a lot lower in a reval (maybe less than 1%). I'm not sure I'm understanding the 30% increase on total assessed value... More in the ballpark would be a 230% increase average. Relember, the reval will mean assessed value = market value (in theory). If assesed values are currently only 30% of market value on average, it will take a ~230% increase to get back to 100%.

What you are describing is what the equalization rate does - and is baked into the effective tax rate of ~2%..

JC was assessed at $6b city-wide in 1988. The equalization rate basically says that it is 27.63% of true (current) value $21.6b. The effective rate change will be proportional to difference between actual current value and that $21.6b.

Column [2]*[3]/100 =[1] in attached link.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxat ... df/lptval/2015/hudson.pdf

Posted on: 2016/2/4 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've had no less than a half dozen beers during this happy hour, but even in my current state, I'm pretty sure your math is wrong dtjcview. But I don't know for sure. Can anyone else chime in?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is why you don't wait 28 years to do a reval. The imbalances that built up over the years will be made up in a single day.

Yvonne is right, mandatory reval every 5 years but for everyone, not just Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Ballpark - it would rise to ~2% of property value. If someone is paying $11k on a $1m million property, their taxes could double to ~$22k.

One theory put forward by Fulop and others is that extra $10k forms a major part of affordability - ~25% of a $500k mortgage yearly payment. Overnight your $1m property may be worth $750k.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Wouldn't taxes on homes in Hamilton Park that are now valued at ~1 million, go way up? I pay about 11k in taxes, how much would that go up? 40k?

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of how fast the reval would get restarted? And once it is restarted how quickly it would be completed? I do think this is going to have a huge impact on the value of many homes downtown.

What type of impact are you expecting?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
But it's a chicken and egg situation here, if my $2 million (allegedly what its worth) brownstone is going to attract a $40,000 tax bill, then it's not going to be worth $2 million anymore, I think at the high end in particular the reval will have a real dampening impact on house prices downtown.

Robin.

I'm not convinced there is a linear relationship between property taxes and market value. Taxes went up 80% or so in the Healy era without crashing prices. Perhaps overseas investors simply write off the increase on their corporate returns.

But you are right - a lot of folks downtown will be in appeals court for a few years after the reval.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
But it's a chicken and egg situation here, if my $2 million (allegedly what it's worth currently) brownstone attracts a $40,000 tax bill, then it's not going to be worth $2 million anymore, I think at the high end in particular the reval will have a real dampening impact on house prices downtown.

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ballpark - it would rise to ~2% of property value. If someone is paying $11k on a $1m million property, their taxes could double to ~$22k.

One theory put forward by Fulop and others is that extra $10k forms a major part of affordability - ~25% of a $500k mortgage yearly payment. Overnight your $1m property may be worth $750k.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Wouldn't taxes on homes in Hamilton Park that are now valued at ~1 million, go way up? I pay about 11k in taxes, how much would that go up? 40k?

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of how fast the reval would get restarted? And once it is restarted how quickly it would be completed? I do think this is going to have a huge impact on the value of many homes downtown.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There will need to be another reval following the first one as Ward E will be unaffordable even to the rich! Prices will have to fall when all the folks paying 6k tax bills start getting assessments for triple or quardruple in the mail.

Greenville residents... I have no idea why you have not been the loudest voice demanding a reval, along with the rest of the city. In my opinion, taxes will be going down substantially in every area of the cith with the exception of Ward E.

And While I think 99 Hudson Street is a very important addition to the city, I pity the fool that buys a condo there with the upcoming reval, unless they know something we don't...

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Two years ago, the Hudson County Tax Administrator spoke before the freeholders, I asked Freeholder O'Dea if he would ask him to come and he did. The tax administrator said the work was 95% done. The lawsuit is based upon the payment. By the way, in order to stop the reval, Fulop had to ask the members of the tax board, these are the members:
James D?Andrea
Vincent Cuseglio
Nicholas Fargo
Angelo Valente
Jodi Drennan

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 19:23

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017