Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Serious accident on Newark Ave near 4th/5th Streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_User wrote:

But just because there are one or two a-holes that might park along a bump out does not mean that implementing the solution is pointless. It's a numbers game. If a bump out reduces these kinds of parking infractions by even a low 50%, and accidents caused by blocked line of sight by 50%, I would consider them worthwhile.

My vote goes to enforcement AND bump-outs.

Agreed. There are many solutions to improving traffic safety, already proven effective in a wide variety of other places. Most of them will work here, but few of them will reach maximum effectiveness in their earliest low-key trial stages. Let's expand and improve them.

Quote:
Candice Osborne included a trial of bump outs in a presentation on parking (http://www.slideshare.net/candiceosbo ... y-parking-recommendations), does anyone know if there has been any movement on implementing the bump out trial?

We're kinda mixing up "bumpouts" and "daylighting," though they're related concepts that are often implemented together.

We definitely have "daylighting" now, I think in three intersections at present. You can see it at First St. and Erie St. outside Torico's ice cream shop. Those use bollards a ways back from each corner, on either side. Their main focus is to block the illegal parking discussed in this thread, thus improving sight lines at intersections.

I don't know if there are any genuine "bumpouts" in JC yet, not the kind you see in Hoboken. Those are the ones where bollards are placed out directly around the corner, and a few feet out into the intersections, to force traffic around them in a more squared-off turn, while the pedestrian crossing is shortened.

The few bollards right at the corner on, uh, Magnolia I think, near the old Brennan courthouse, might qualify as a true bumpout, though I get the feeling someone just threw those up to stop people from hitting stuff on that already-tight corner.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 21:55

Edited by elsquid on 2016/2/3 22:17:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Enforcement is a joke, and people know it.

Totally agree that enforcement is a joke and needs to be improved .

Quote:
I have seen cars parked along the bump outs

But just because there are one or two a-holes that might park along a bump out does not mean that implementing the solution is pointless. It's a numbers game. If a bump out reduces these kinds of parking infractions by even a low 50%, and accidents caused by blocked line of sight by 50%, I would consider them worthwhile.

My vote goes to enforcement AND bump-outs.

Candice Osborne included a trial of bump outs in a presentation on parking (http://www.slideshare.net/candiceosbo ... y-parking-recommendations), does anyone know if there has been any movement on implementing the bump out trial?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thewiz wrote:
Definitely some concerns with the growing vehicular traffic in the area (full disc. I'm a driver adding to the traffic myself but I try to walk/take public transit as much as I can).

One other item of note that I have seen time and time again (and as a driver it concerns me) is that on various streets (especially Jersey Avenue) cars are allowed to park right up to the corner. And I have yet to see a car ticketed.

This is bad due to the fact that it partially cuts off the view of the beginning of the crosswalk and even for a driver going the speed limit, it is easy to miss someone who isn't bothering to look for oncoming cars and just launches into the crosswalk.

Pedestrians of course always have the right of way, but at least prevent cars from obstructing part of the crosswalk so drivers can safely anticipate when someone is about to cross. Driving slowly and safely is obviously the main answer...but anything we can do to help drivers and pedestrians help each other be safe is a good thing!

Question is, who is best to write to about it? The cops? City Hall?

I've said this before and will say it again, if I were ever injured by a car because the driver's view was blocked I would insist that any car parked illegally be noted by the cops and their owners included in any civil suit.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
The part I don't get is why the city doesn't ticket more aggressively. Seems like an easy way to add extra cash coming into the city. Maybe I'm missing something.

[/quote]

The JCPA is probably the only traffic enforcement agency in the country that can manage to run in the red instead of being a cash cow. The only way I can think to do that is incredibly low productivity or no show workers. Remember the full time JCPA supervisor who was also a full time HC high school teacher? Yeah, the no show leading the no shows. Where's the books on this public agency? Oh, it's an "authority" and answerable to no one.

That said, I think there's an unwritten pact in certain areas like the Heights that corner & bus stop parking will be tolerated within certain nighttime hours. Between the numerous driveways and higher car density than Downtown, parking after 5 pm up there is brutal.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
The part I don't get is why the city doesn't ticket more aggressively. Seems like an easy way to add extra cash coming into the city. Maybe I'm missing something.

This is truly the baffling part... I have heard people say that they don't have more enforcement because they don't have the budget to hire more parking officers, but it seems to me that a small brigade of parking enforcement officers would be self-sustaining and still bring loads of money to the city coffers. If they were hiring people at 40K to walk around issuing tickets, that works out to about $20/hr. Each parking ticket would pay for two or three times that amount. Heck, you could hire people at 60K ($30/hr) and you would still make back that money and contribute to the city coffers. Plus, it would help in promoting an environment in which lawlessness is not seen as acceptable.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
You're correct bodhipooh. I forgot that when there is even one snow flake on the ground all parking regs/enforecement go out the window. Of course this doesn't account for the rest of the year when the meter maids don't want to even get out of their tricycles to issue a ticket.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

thewiz wrote:

Use the JC RRC (resident response center) app. The app is available for both Apple and Android. This practice is illegal, an done of the problems constantly mentioned in DTJC. New physical curb bump outs, or the new "day lighting" program are the only way this is going to stop.

I think you are being overly hopeful. I have seen cars parked along the bump outs, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone parking in one of the "day light" areas, especially at night. Enforcement is a joke, and people know it. Over the past week, I have seen cars parked blocking crosswalks, double-parked on one way streets severely blocking the flow of traffic, two and three deep past the "No Parking (from here to corner)" signs, driving the wrong way on one-way streets, etc. It is a free for all, and there is nothing being done. Pedestrians in JC would be wise to walk around with their heads on a swivel.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thewiz wrote:

Use the JC RRC (resident response center) app. The app is available for both Apple and Android. This practice is illegal, an done of the problems constantly mentioned in DTJC. New physical curb bump outs, or the new "day lighting" program are the only way this is going to stop.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 17:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/13 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely some concerns with the growing vehicular traffic in the area (full disc. I'm a driver adding to the traffic myself but I try to walk/take public transit as much as I can).

One other item of note that I have seen time and time again (and as a driver it concerns me) is that on various streets (especially Jersey Avenue) cars are allowed to park right up to the corner. And I have yet to see a car ticketed.

This is bad due to the fact that it partially cuts off the view of the beginning of the crosswalk and even for a driver going the speed limit, it is easy to miss someone who isn't bothering to look for oncoming cars and just launches into the crosswalk.

Pedestrians of course always have the right of way, but at least prevent cars from obstructing part of the crosswalk so drivers can safely anticipate when someone is about to cross. Driving slowly and safely is obviously the main answer...but anything we can do to help drivers and pedestrians help each other be safe is a good thing!

Posted on: 2016/2/2 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Yesterday Monmouth Street was closed at Pavonia and the cops were diverting all the usual Northbound traffic towards Hamilton Park. The rate of speeders and people jumping the Stop Signs was incredible. The fact that our streets are allowed to be used as racetracks without consequence is ridiculous. I witnessed pedestrians being ignored and several near misses at various intersections. Time for the cops to step up enforcement.

Posted on: 2016/1/30 17:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/22 19:17
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Saw this last night. No one seemed to be hurt. Amazingly, the car landed upside-down in the street a couple of feet away from a group of parked cars, which didn't get a scratch.

The fire department had the car righted and hauled away within about an hour and everything swept up.

Posted on: 2016/1/30 14:09

Serious accident on Newark Ave near 4th/5th Streets
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
A car apparently flipped over but I couldn't see as area was surrounded with emergency vehicles. This was just a little while ago, around 10:30pm.

Posting this so everyone can check on their loved ones and neighbors.

Posted on: 2016/1/30 4:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017