Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 31 32 ... 43 »

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
It's also important because PILOTs (which are concentrated downtown) are usually only given on the improvement and not the underlying land. This means that when the reval comes and the land underneath the PILOTed skyscrapers is reassessed Jersey City's PILOTed buildings will begin to pay significantly higher taxes, although not nearly what they would pay if there were no PILOTs.

If you are correct, and I have no reason to doubt your claim based on the knowledge and understanding you have shown with your posts, I would say this is very, very interesting. Residents in newly-constructed, tax abated properties are often sold on the idea that their taxes are pretty much set on stone and that their abatements essentially protects/shields them from any future revaluation.

I asked the county tax office about this after the 1988 reval. Yes, land values are not protected from a tax abatement and they do go up but any increases are deducted from the overall tax abatement. Tax abatements are applied to the improvements or buildings only. So the amount of money they are paying still remains the same but the city gets slightly less.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have an idea of how fast the reval would get restarted? And once it is restarted how quickly it would be completed? I do think this is going to have a huge impact on the value of many homes downtown.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
Ok, I got the answer about land revals from a bona fide expert and PILOTs and it isn't what I assumed.

Land taxes and a PILOT payment interact. The total PILOT+land tax payment has to equal a previously agreed-upon sum.

So if a reval happens and the land taxes increase, the owner indeed will pay more in land taxes to the county+schools+municipality, but that extra amount is subtracted from the PILOT payment that would have gone to the municipality.

So when the reval happens GS and other downtown PILOT owners will pay more in land taxes and that'll be good for the schools and Hudson County, but the Jersey City municipality will lose some money it would have gotten absent a reval.

Thanks for the follow up. This is what I had been told and what I have gleamed from reading up on the subject, hence my surprise to your previous post. It really is an interesting topic. I just don't see how anyone would risk buying in DTJC at the currently inflated RE prices knowing that a reval will happen at some point in the near future UNLESS you are buying in a newly-constructed, abated building.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/15 18:48
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, I got the answer about land revals from a bona fide expert and PILOTs and it isn't what I assumed.

Land taxes and a PILOT payment interact. The total PILOT+land tax payment has to equal a previously agreed-upon sum.

So if a reval happens and the land taxes increase, the owner indeed will pay more in land taxes to the county+schools+municipality, but that extra amount is subtracted from the PILOT payment that would have gone to the municipality.

So when the reval happens GS and other downtown PILOT owners will pay more in land taxes and that'll marginally lower your school and county tax bills, but the Jersey City municipality will lose some money it would have gotten absent a reval.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
If you are curious about how enormous the gaps are between property assessment downtown and the properties? real market value, check out the sale price on the Newport Office Center 5 (575 Washington Blvd), which was sold to JPMorgan Chase for $315 million in 2014.

575 Washington Blvd is PILOTed, but its official assessment is only $50 million.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/busin ... -n-j-properties-1.1069881

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 607303____00005____X____M

Quote:
stateaidguy, you mentioned that abatements are usually only given on the improvement and not the underlying land. What are the instances where the land can also be abated? Do you know of any recent developments within Jersey City that has also had their land abated?

I don?t want to get out of my depth here, but I think it?s unusual for the land tax to be abated. A knowledgeable mayor told me that only the buildings themselves are PILOTed and when I check out the property tax records for abated properties the abatement is almost always only on the "improvement."

So, for 575 Washington Blvd, the land is assessed at $2.2 million and the owner pays normal, all-in taxes of $166,691.48 on that land.

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 607303____00005_________M

The Goldman Sachs Tower?s land is assessed at only $3.5 million, so it pays $261,825.11 in regular taxes on that land.

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 614502____00012_________M

The only instance I know of where the land taxes were abated was when the building (not in JC) was providing over 200 parking spaces to the public in a large parking garage.

Are there other justifications for abating land taxes or do towns abate land taxes just to get bigger PILOT payments for themselves? I wouldn?t be surprised, but I don?t know for a fact.

Anyway, I *assume* that when the underlying land?s value is reassessed the PILOTed property owner will have to pay more, but again, I am not an expert on this and I don?t want to make a mistake.

I have asked some people more knowledgeable than I am about what happens to the land taxes of a PILOTed building if there is a reval.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 17:43

Edited by stateaidguy on 2016/2/3 17:59:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
stateaidguy, you mentioned that abatements are usually only given on the improvement and not the underlying land. What are the instances where the land can also be abated? Do you know of any recent developments within Jersey City that has also had their land abated?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
It's also important because PILOTs (which are concentrated downtown) are usually only given on the improvement and not the underlying land. This means that when the reval comes and the land underneath the PILOTed skyscrapers is reassessed Jersey City's PILOTed buildings will begin to pay significantly higher taxes, although not nearly what they would pay if there were no PILOTs.

If you are correct, and I have no reason to doubt your claim based on the knowledge and understanding you have shown with your posts, I would say this is very, very interesting. Residents in newly-constructed, tax abated properties are often sold on the idea that their taxes are pretty much set on stone and that their abatements essentially protects/shields them from any future revaluation.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
stateaidguy, thank you so much for your research and analysis on this topic. I learn a great deal from each of your posts and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who feels that way.

I wish more people in Jersey City, and the State frankly, could read your information. It would turn the larger debate on reval, state aid, and abatements completely upside down.

Please get the word out!

Posted on: 2016/2/3 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, I was doing some research on 99 Hudson Street and found information that suggests what downtown assessments could be after the reval.

The official assessment for 99 Hudson Street's land (all 1.7 acres) is $6.8 million, but the land was sold in 2011 by Bank of America to Hartz Mountain for $35 million and then sold again in 2013 by Hartz Mountain to China Overseas America for $68 million.

It seems to me that the official assessment is not even a tenth of the real market value. This is a much worse ratio of assessment to real value than Jersey City's's average.

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 614507____00001_________M

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/99-hu ... -be-njs-tallest-building/

This is important because it suggests just how badly undertaxed downtown is and overtaxed some outlying neighborhoods of Jersey City are.

dtjcview,

You're right, the reval, state aid, and PILOTs are separate problems, although they aren't completely independent and if a thread goes off-topic in an informative way, I don't think that's necessarily such a bad thing.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I could not remember the Ward B councilman when I wrote the history of why Colgate received a tax abatement. It was Councilman Tom Fricchione. He spoke against this abatement. Later, when McCann won his office again as mayor, he reduced the abatement agreement for the Colgate Redevelopment and Cucci came back to the city council yelling at the council. A lot of yelling went on in those days.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
dtjcview, I am telling you what happened, look up public documents on the amount of money JC gives to the board of ed. Perhaps our public documents and have the newspaper articles when Cucci spoke before the city about Colgate. I do remember the councilman from Ward B became angry when Cucci wanted to give Colgate a tax abatement. Development was happening in the 1980s without long term tax abatements. Look at Dixon Mills as an example. They never received a 20 or 30 year tax abatement.

I wasn't debating history. Personally I think the reval, school funding and PILOTS are all broken. But I don't think they are necessarily linked. When you tie them together in an argument - you end up with a horse-trading mess that loses sight of the real goals and objectives of each.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Neither the county nor the city have a financial incentive to make the reval happen. That's the issue. That's why there needs to be a mandate from the state.

So true. Why should they do it, with nothing to gain and the potential to lose public image & political capital, without someone holding a credible stick over them? As stateaidguy said, this is the result of JC dominating the County govt, and the state asleep at the wheel.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
dtjcview, I am telling you what happened, look up public documents on the amount of money JC gives to the board of ed. Perhaps our public documents and have the newspaper articles when Cucci spoke before the city about Colgate. I do remember the councilman from Ward B became angry when Cucci wanted to give Colgate a tax abatement. Development was happening in the 1980s without long term tax abatements. Look at Dixon Mills as an example. They never received a 20 or 30 year tax abatement.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let me explain what happened. Gerry McCann was mayor, then he spelled his name with a G, now he uses a J, but I am getting off the subject. The city portion was $90 million in 1989. Gerry McCann wanted to cut the budget. He did this many time during his first term. In fact, when he left office in 1985, the state accused JC of shorting the board of ed $20 million. So now Anthony Cucci who was elected in 1985 went to Colgate who was redeveloping their property and asked them to prepay their taxes. Colgate said give us an tax abatement, the reason abatements are now common. Cucci loses in 1989 and McCann wins again. McCann starts to cut the board of ed budget and the state goes wild. They agreed to a figure of $72 million with the agreement that JC cannot cut the board of ed budget. This figure was frozen from 1989 until 2005. That is the reason Schundler administration said our contributions to the board of ed will not go up which proved to be wrong.

The purpose of PILOTS is to attract inward investment to NJ. The big issue with them, isn't that they don't contribute to ratables, nor school funding.

The issue is there's no measurement of financial success or failure. Increase in jobs? Increase in state revenues through corporate and personal income tax? Public improvement like affordable housing?

We should be pricing PILOTS competitively - and making sure we get a real return on them. As it is - PILOTS are given out by idiots that piss off balconies and drive drunk through red lights. And that's true across all of NJ. NJ has a multi-billion dollar public industry run by a bunch of clowns.

None of which has anything to do with the reval. Nor public school funding for that matter. Might as well blame Obamacare while you're at it.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
You?re right, state aid and PILOTing is a distraction, although don?t threads go off-topic pretty often anyway?

I think the county is more to blame than the state, since the county tax board has the power to order reassessments. The lack of reassessments has only occurred in three counties: Union, Middlesex, and Hudson. However, since JC has a lot of weight within Hudson County a lot of the blame just bounces back to Jersey City.

Neither the county nor the city have a financial incentive to make the reval happen. That's the issue. That's why there needs to be a mandate from the state.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let me explain what happened. Gerry McCann was mayor, then he spelled his name with a G, now he uses a J, but I am getting off the subject. The city portion was $90 million in 1989. Gerry McCann wanted to cut the budget. He did this many time during his first term. In fact, when he left office in 1985, the state accused JC of shorting the board of ed $20 million. So now Anthony Cucci who was elected in 1985 went to Colgate who was redeveloping their property and asked them to prepay their taxes. Colgate said give us an tax abatement, the reason abatements are now common. Cucci loses in 1989 and McCann wins again. McCann starts to cut the board of ed budget and the state goes wild. They agreed to a figure of $72 million with the agreement that JC cannot cut the board of ed budget. This figure was frozen from 1989 until 2005. That is the reason Schundler administration said our contributions to the board of ed will not go up which proved to be wrong.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 22:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
Locked into a $72 million contribution?

I don't know what Bret Schundler meant here, Schundler was speaking during the "peak Abbott" years around 2000. At the time the Abbotts gained hundreds of millions a year and Jersey City's aid rose in absolute terms and as a percentage of the overall state aid distribution. From 1998-1999 to 1999-2000, for instance, Jersey City gained $75 million. (that wasn't typical).

At that time it might have seemed like Jersey City would never need to raise its school tax levy although that would be a pretty short-sighted view even then.

Anyhow, SFRA nominally preserves Jersey City's K-12 aid at $418 million indefinitely, but, as I said, that amount is endangered by the state's overall budget crisis and acute need in other districts.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Sorry, stateaidguy, the concept that we will never lose funding reminds me of the good old days during the Schundler administration. While giving out 20 year tax abatement, they also said out contribution to the board of ed will never increase. That is when we were paying $72 million to the schools. That concept is ridiculous. School districts across the state have low income children and are complaining about the formula, including Bayonne which pays close to 50% of school costs. I don't believe the concept never because laws change all the time.

**Sigh** Yvonne, did you even read stateaidguy's post beyond the first couple sentences?! Laws, especially unsustainable ones, can be changed...

Yes, I did read it. That is why I told you about what the Schundler administration said. I questioned them on giving abatement and lack of school funds. They made that comment during a public that JC is locked into $72 million contribution to the board of ed and it will not rise. That is not true anymore, we are paying more every year. The increase started in 2005 and we are now paying $40 million more. The percentages we are paying have increased.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
So when 99 Hudson Street (which isn?t PILOTed) opens and starts to pay school taxes it doesn?t mean that the JCBOE will have a cent more unless it also decides to increase the tax levy. Over the last decade Jersey City?s Equalized Valuation has more than doubled, from $10 billion to $21 billion, but the tax levy hasn?t increased proportionally because the JC BOE hasn?t increased the tax levy by nearly as much (and now is constrained by the tax cap anyway)

The lack of a property tax abatement for 99 Hudson Street is interesting and should have a very positive impact for the city, county and school board. I read that 99 Hudson Street will contain 800 luxury condos. The 1 bedroom condos at 77 Hudson Street appraise for about $750,000 so let's make the rough assumption that each of 99 Hudson Street's condos will also appraise for about $750,000.

Quote:
When a new reno or property comes on the market, they will appraise the current value and multiply by the equalization rate to arrive at the 1988 "assessed" value (excluding the standard 5-year abatements on renos/new properties). So if you bought a new property in 2015 for $1m, it would have an assessed value of around $300k (1m x 30.02%)

Doing a little math, 99 Hudson Street will have

$750,000 appraised value x 30.02% equalization rate = $225,150 in assessed value for each unit

$225,150 in assessed value for each unit x 800 untis = $180,120,000 added to the ratable base.

Tax rate information obtained from the state:
JC general tax rate - 3.664%
Hudson county tax rate - 1.749%
JCBOE tax rate - 1.852%
other city/county/school - 0.217%

total tax rate - 7.482%

$180,120,000 x 3.664% = $6,599,596.80 taxes to the city
$180,120,000 x 1.749% = $3,150,298.80 taxes to the county
$180,120,000 x 1.852% = $3,335,822.40 taxes to the JCBOE

$180,120,000 x 7.482% = $13,476,578.40 total property taxes

Because the city, county and school board sets a tax levy, which in turn the budget folks turn into a tax rate, the new $13,476,578.40 in property taxes coming in every year will help reduce the existing tax burden from existing homeowners and businesses. Not by much, but every little bit counts.

Doing the research on this, I'm kind of shocked at how little condo owners in tax abatement properties are actually paying in taxes... Look at what the folks are paying at 77 Hudson...

Posted on: 2016/2/1 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
JCGuys,

Yes, a municipality can structure a PILOT so that the municipality gets more revenue than it would from regular taxation. I'm sure that in a hot real estate market it's easy for a municipality to get a developer to agree to a high-municipal payment PILOT.

So the presentation you linked to is accurate in its claim about higher municipal revenue from certain PILOT agreements, but the presentation has a lot of bullsh*t in it too

1. The presentation suggests that PILOTing has made JC home values outpace national growth in home values. Yeah right.

JC's home values and economy are doing well because it's right next to Manhattan. Brooklyn and Queens values are escalating too. Many towns in NJ that have train lines have also done well.

2. The presentation claims that it's a "myth" that "just Jersey City" uses PILOTs.

Umm, this is a straw man.

No informed person believes that literally "just" Jersey City uses PILOTs. Yes, lots of towns use them, but not nearly to the extent that Jersey City does.

http://www.nj.gov/comptroller/news/docs/tax_abatement_report.pdf

Towns whose school systems are locally funded cannot politically get away with so much PILOTing. It would be cannibalization since the local BOE would lose a future revenue source but still get its money from non-PILOTed taxpayers.

Towns like Newark and Paterson, whose schools are also mostly state funded, just don't have the developer interest despite their willingness to provide PILOTs.

The presentation says "Not using this tool would place Jersey City at a competitive disadvantage" but Newark and Paterson can say to developers interested in Jersey City "LOOK OVER HERE WE'LL PILOT YOUR BUILDING" and still very few developers will take on the Newark and Paterson risk even with a large tax abatement. (hence those places having so many buildings that are vacant above the first storey.)

3. The presentation talks about more municipal revenue but ignores the overall loss of revenue to JC-entities if you factor in the loss of school taxes.

Not everything is the JC City Council's fault though. They are just responding to a bad incentive system.

The long-term PILOT law itself is just dumbly written. The tax cut reduction should be in equal proportions to the county, school district, and municipality. I can't fathom why the designers of the law designed it so that all the sacrifice came from the county and school district

*The county gets 5% of PILOT revenue, although this is a relatively recent change.
** Usually the land value is not PILOTed. So even though Goldman Sachs pays no regular taxes on its 30 Hudson Street building, it pays $261,000 on the land (based on a $3.5 million land assessment.)

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 614502____00012_________M

Posted on: 2016/2/1 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Sorry, stateaidguy, the concept that we will never lose funding reminds me of the good old days during the Schundler administration. While giving out 20 year tax abatement, they also said out contribution to the board of ed will never increase. That is when we were paying $72 million to the schools. That concept is ridiculous. School districts across the state have low income children and are complaining about the formula, including Bayonne which pays close to 50% of school costs. I don't believe the concept never because laws change all the time.

**Sigh** Yvonne, did you even read stateaidguy's post beyond the first couple sentences?! Laws, especially unsustainable ones, can be changed...

Posted on: 2016/2/1 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/1 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
stateaidguy for poster of the year! Wow!

I hope Terrence McDonald at the Jersey Journal picks this up and does an expos? on the poorly written state laws which pick the winners and losers of the property tax system and how a municipality can use those laws to legally game the system. The public needs to know.

The city has a presentation on tax abatements and pilots, found here: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... 0presentation%20final.pdf

The city maintains that when they issue an abatement for a property, the city collects more in revenue (via PILOTs) than it would if the property did not receive a tax abatement. This is because when a property is granted a tax abatement, the city collects 100% of the PILOT revenue, and does not need to share any with the county or school board, which eats up a large chunk of the property tax bill for a normal unabated property. I was skeptical of that claim, but from what I'm reading here, I guess the city is technically correct.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
?stateaidguy, that was fascinating, thanks. For once, Yvonne's hobbyhorse of abatements might be relevant to the discussion, as the most expensive properties in the city are not contributing their share to the schools. I remember some talk of the PILOT's being distributed differently giving a portion to the schools, but don't know it it came to fruition. Do you have a POV on this??

I?m flattered you would ask this.

In a sense PILOTing is more of a tax issue than a school budget issue.

This is because a BOE technically sets a tax levy, not a tax rate. A BOE gives a tax rate to the public, but the rate is purely for informational purposes since the tax levy determines the tax rate, not the other way around.

Whatever (legal) tax levy a BOE sets it gets. The tax apportionment among taxpayers is automatically done by the tax assessor. If a tax-paying building is demolished to build a PILOTed building (or a tax-paying building is bought by a non-profit) then the taxes formerly paid are silently transferred to other taxpayers. If a new building is built in a town and starts to pay $1 million in school taxes it doesn?t mean that the BOE gets more money either; all it means is that every other taxpayer?s taxes are reduced by $1 million. If a non-profit buys a building that formerly paid $1 million in taxes then everyone else?s taxes automatically increase by $1 million.

So when 99 Hudson Street (which isn?t PILOTed) opens and starts to pay school taxes it doesn?t mean that the JCBOE will have a cent more unless it also decides to increase the tax levy. Over the last decade Jersey City?s Equalized Valuation has more than doubled, from $10 billion to $21 billion, but the tax levy hasn?t increased proportionally because the JC BOE hasn?t increased the tax levy by nearly as much (and now is constrained by the tax cap anyway)

(At the opposite extreme is Atlantic City. Atlantic City?s tax base has collapsed; dropping from $19.7 billion in 2007 in $11 billion in 2014. And yet Atlantic City?s school tax levy did not drop until 2015-16 because the Atlantic City BOE did not reduce the tax levy until this year.)

People, including 2013 candidate Steve Fulop, say that PILOTing ?robs? the schools of money, but that?s technically not true. PILOTing robs other taxpayers who have to pay a disproportionate share of the tax burden. PILOTing makes the tax base smaller than it would be otherwise, so that means it?s politically harder for a BOE to raise taxes, but the JCBOE isn?t increasing taxes by the maximum amount allowed anyway.

In most towns in NJ PILOTed property is a tiny fraction of the overall valuation (like 1% or less). In Jersey City it?s at least 30% of the valuation. That means that 70% of the property in Jersey City pay for 100% of the local school tax levy.

The reason PILOTing hasn?t been more controversial is that the state pays for 75% of Jersey City?s schools anyway. However, as the state percentage drops and JC?s school taxes increase PILOTing should become more controversial.

Many people, including State Comptroller Matthew Boxer, Sen. Mike Doherty, and me have criticized PILOTing because it distorts state aid by ?hiding? a city?s true tax wealth from the formula for Equalization Aid. However, the distortion of state aid would remain due to the mechanism of Adjustment Aid. If all of JC?s PILOTs expired tomorrow all that would happen is that Jersey City?s Equalization Aid (Equalization Aid is intended to help poor districts) would be converted into Adjustment Aid and the total aid package would remain at $418 million for K-12.

Brewster,

You?re right, state aid and PILOTing is a distraction, although don?t threads go off-topic pretty often anyway?

I think the county is more to blame than the state, since the county tax board has the power to order reassessments. The lack of reassessments has only occurred in three counties: Union, Middlesex, and Hudson. However, since JC has a lot of weight within Hudson County a lot of the blame just bounces back to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously, you are all Fulop haters. ;)

Because the only reason people are advocating for a reval is out of deep hatred for him. That line will come back to haunt him. That was an incredible blunder for a politician with such lofty ambitions.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
stateaidguy, that was fascinating, thanks. For once, Yvonne's hobbyhorse of abatements might be relevant to the discussion, as the most expensive properties in the city are not contributing their share to the schools. I remember some talk of the PILOT's being distributed differently giving a portion to the schools, but don't know it it came to fruition. Do you have a POV on this?

To me the entire blame for this mess lies with the state. They haven't laid the right framework for financial disciple, and where they have laid down parameters - like when a reval should be triggered - they haven't enforced it.

Discussion of PILOTS/abatement and school spending are simply a distraction. The state needs to put the right financial controls in place for those.

What the City can do is the right and equitable thing - and order the reval. And the state should change state law to make it happen going forward.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
stateaidguy, that was fascinating, thanks. For once, Yvonne's hobbyhorse of abatements might be relevant to the discussion, as the most expensive properties in the city are not contributing their share to the schools. I remember some talk of the PILOT's being distributed differently giving a portion to the schools, but don't know it it came to fruition. Do you have a POV on this?

Posted on: 2016/2/1 4:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From One of the Oranges
Group:
Registered Users
The reval itself isn't going to mean that Jersey City loses any state aid for its schools, although I think there is an indirect link.

NJ's school funding law, SFRA, technically protects Jersey City's state aid at ~$418 million forever due to a provision called "Adjustment Aid" which stipulates that no district can receive less than 102% of what it received before SFRA became law in 2008.

In theory the Adjustment Aid provision means that Jersey City can NEVER lose aid no matter how wealthy it becomes. Hence Hoboken never losing state aid even though Hoboken has double the property wealth per student as Millburn and Princeton.

HOWEVER, SFRA was based on some wildly wrong assumptions about growing state revenue. The idea of SFRA was that every Abbott district could keep its Abbott status and special rights, but that every other poor and working class district in NJ would essentially be "Abbottized" with very high aid for K-12 and universal Pre-K for 3 and 4 year olds. Obviously this would cost a billions, but in 2008 the legislature and Corzine pretended that NJ would just have billions and billions more to spend on education.

Since 2008 the state's revenue has fallen dramatically and still not fully recovered. We've also awoken to the pension crisis which means that all new state revenue goes into pensions, not education.

This means that the districts that were underaided in 2008 haven't gotten what they were promised and some of these districts have seen tremendous population growth and student impoverishment. The worst situation is Freehold Boro, where school buildings built to accommodate 1100 kids are forced to accommodate 1700 kids. In taxes, the worst situation is Manchester Regional, where the taxpayers pay 177% of Local Fair Share and the schools are still way under Adequacy.

However, there are hundreds of districts that are underaided and 50 that have aid deficits greater than $4,000 a student.

(On Freehold Boro
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/w ... -changing-faces/72061642/
)

FYI:
Bayonne is underaided by $50 million.
Kearny is underaided by $31 million.
Guttenberg is underaided by $8 million (which is $6300 per student, the 6th largest deficit in NJ.)

The desperation of many other districts means that Adjustment Aid will be reduced and (hopefully) eliminated in order for that money to be given to districts with the most acute needs. Steven Sweeney and David Hespe themselves have said so. The old commissioner of education, Chris Cerf, has said so.

Despite SFRA being the state's aid law, any budget the legislature passes is automatically legal. The executive branch dominates the budget process.

The questions on the state aid future are
1. whether or not districts that are below Adequacy will lose Adjustment Aid or only districts that are above Adequacy will lose Adjustment Aid.
(Jersey City is overaided, but it significantly below Adequacy because its taxes are so low.)
2. how quickly the reductions will happen.

Again, even in a best case scenario in which SFRA is followed to the letter, Jersey City will never gain state aid for decades.

A major problem for the JCPS is that 2% of its existing Local Tax Levy is $2.8 million ($2.8 million = 2% of $114 million.)

Jersey City's schools have a $560 million budget. Even conservatively they should increase spending by $12 million a year to avoid cuts, but $12 million is a 10% tax increase for JC and that's not politically possible, even though it's economically possible. It certainly isn't possible if the outdated property assessment means that there are Jersey Cityans who are paying 2x what they should be paying.

I don't know if any Jersey City politicians get this about education funding and the necessity to have large local tax increases just to sustain services. Send me a quote if you can find a JC elected official who says that the schools will be flat-funded by the state forever and that local taxes have increase by an amount that is huge in proportion to the existing tax levy.

Anyway, to let JC sustain its schools with its own local dollars (like it has to) the reval has to happen or else people with overassessed properties will get wiped out.

The state probably realizes this. Sen. Mike Doherty realizes this.

Steve Fulop doesn't realize this. He doesn't realize how JC's schools taxes have to increase and since they are going to increase they have to fall on the property owners best able to pay those taxes.

The reval and state aid are technically independent, but it is possible to see the reval and fairer local taxation allowing Jersey City to pay a much higher school tax levy.

Posted on: 2016/2/1 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city has already contributed more money to the board of ed. We were paying $72 million, then in 2005, those caps were lifted, the costs increased. We are now paying $112 million. I am concerned about Fulop saying we need more affordable housing, in translation he is saying more children but no tax dollars from those new buildings.

Affordable housing is the right thing to do in our society, but you're 100% right Yvonne about the realities of the situation. Where will the money come to pay for the increased schooling costs? I'm going to take a guess and say that residents of affordable housing contribute less in taxes than they consume in services. Therefore, it falls on the rest of society to subsidize.

Everyone's taxes are going to have to up, regardless of reval.

There is another option, which is not to build any new affordable housing and just gentrify all the poor folks out of the city, but that just seems... inhumane.

This is why I have no issues with all the luxury developments around town. There is a desperate need to grow the ratable base. I just wish the terms of the abatements would be shorter...

Posted on: 2016/2/1 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Not at all. I'm just saying that real estate values are only one factor that goes into deciding how school funding gets apportioned from Trenton. While obviously real estate has appreciated since the last reval, wide areas of JC still have very poor residents-and income is also a factor in calculating school funding. And Trenton can't arbitrarily reduce state aid, it's a formula that must be adhered to.

I would be interesting in seeing the formula. There has also been a lot of wealthy residents moving to JC too since it was first established.

I read on the CivicParent website that state law requires municipalities to hold an equalization ratio of 85% or higher, or must conduct a reval. Similar requirements exist for the Coefficient of Deviation threshold. Jersey City is currently at 30.02% and has been out of compliance since the year 2000! It took the state 16 years to act and finally are going to force a reval in 2016, something they should have done in the early 2000s. So I can't help but wonder if Jersey City now exceeds the Abbot district threshold but will be another 16 years or more for the state to act...

Show me the formula!

CivicParent website: https://civicparent.org/2016/01/proper ... ation-ratio/#comment-7605

Posted on: 2016/2/1 0:18

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 31 32 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017