Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
Traveling to New York City on the weekends is about to get complicated beginning this summer.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced today that weekend PATH service on the 33rd Street line will be suspended starting in early August and continuing into December. The months-long suspension is part of a federally-mandated safety initiative to install a new computerized signal system designed to improve passenger service and safety, the Port Authority said in a statement announcing the news.

Service on the 33rd Street line will be suspended from approximately 12:01 a.m. on Saturdays until 5 a.m. on Mondays. The suspension will continue most weekends into December, with the exception of major holidays, the Port Authority announced.

Regular weekend service will continue on the Newark-World Trade Center (WTC) line and between Journal Square and Hoboken. However, PATH can take some solace in the introduction of service between Hoboken and WTC on the weekend -- which is not normally available.

The Port Authority is advising PATH riders affected by the service suspension to travel to the WTC station, and then take New York City subway service to uptown destinations.

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer could not be immediately reached for comment this afternoon.

Both Hudson County mayors were staunch opponents of a 2014 proposal to eliminate overnight PATH and even privatize the whole system. While the governors of New York and New Jersey supported the idea, the plan was officially squashed in January 2015 when the Port Authority tabled the proposal amid backlash from the public and elected officials like Fulop and Zimmer.

While service is suspended, shuttle buses that will make stops between the WTC and 29th Street along Sixth and Seventh avenues will be provided. The weekend closures will impact the Christopher, Ninth, 14th, 23rd and 33rd street stations.

PATH riders can expect similar suspensions next year as well, the Port Authority said, adding that a schedule has yet to be announced.
Port Authority to temporarily suspend weekend PATH service to 33rd Street

The 33rd Street PATH line upgrade is part of a multi-phased plan to improve the system and provide riders more frequent rush hour service. The Positive Train Control (PTC), an updated safety-enhanced system that the federal government has mandated be completed by the end of 2018, is at the center of the upcoming service interruption.

However, the bi-state agency said the improvements will provide PATH riders increased reliability in the future, as well as lay the groundwork for increased passenger capacity.

Further updates, bus maps and details will be provided as available through the Port Authority's website, www.panynj.gov/PATH.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal

Traveling to New York City on the weekends is about to get complicated beginning this summer.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced today that weekend PATH service on the 33rd Street line will be suspended starting in early August and continuing into December.

Temporarily suspended

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
When will WTC connect with the E train entrance or N/R? Those should be the easy to open.

Posted on: 2016/4/24 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
no, and it never will

Ummm...yes it will be once the Dey Street passageway opens.

Posted on: 2016/4/24 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
no, and it never will

Posted on: 2016/4/23 15:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 0:43
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No - not yet.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does the new WTC now connect to the Fulton Street trains without having to go above ground?

Posted on: 2016/4/23 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:
Would be great if PATH would do this:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/01/27/nyc-centipede-subway-cars/

It's amazing how much space is wasted on the existing PATH train cars.
it would be great if path did this. i previously suggetsed that articulated trains would make so much sense for PATH. i also think that if the will could be found, double-decker (but cramped trains) would be a great idea.

How do you suggest fitting a double decker train into a tunnel tube that only measures 15.25 feet across?? It's not a matter of forcing people into cramped conditions (which is probably illegal and prohibited) but a matter of being able to fit the trains into the old H&M tunnels.
i guess you haven't traveled that much outside the us. based on my experiences, i definitely think a double decker would be feasible especially if the trains were made with composites.

you didn't answer the question. show your work.
london and sydney are very inspirational

Let's start with the fact that London does NOT have double decker trains. So, you are obviously talking while misinformed.

As for Sydney, they DO have double decker trains, but are now starting to move AWAY from them because of the issues they have encountered. Their trains are about 14.5 feet tall, which is they absolute tallest they can go due to limitations on tunnel heights. The same is true of Canada, where double decker are about 14.5 feet high. Why? Because their tunnel height tops out at about 20 feet.

So, let me repeat for you: there is NO WAY to squeeze a double decker into the PATH tunnels. It doesn't matter how often you keep repeating to yourself that fairy tale, you will NEVER see a double decker in the PATH tunnels. Those tunnels are under 16 feet of height. You CAN NOT fit a double decker in that space.
i never said that london had double decker trains, i said it was inspiration in that they manage to run cars that are not nearly as tall "normal" metro cars who is to say that both levels need to be 7" or whatever.

just because you say something can't be done, does not mean that it can't. history prooves that. as to whether that makes sense financially is another issue

Posted on: 2016/1/30 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

it would be great if path did this. i previously suggetsed that articulated trains would make so much sense for PATH. i also think that if the will could be found, double-decker (but cramped trains) would be a great idea.

How do you suggest fitting a double decker train into a tunnel tube that only measures 15.25 feet across?? It's not a matter of forcing people into cramped conditions (which is probably illegal and prohibited) but a matter of being able to fit the trains into the old H&M tunnels.
i guess you haven't traveled that much outside the us. based on my experiences, i definitely think a double decker would be feasible especially if the trains were made with composites.

Let's start with the fact that London does NOT have double decker trains. So, you are obviously talking while misinformed.

As for Sydney, they DO have double decker trains, but are now starting to move AWAY from them because of the issues they have encountered. Their trains are about 14.5 feet tall, which is they absolute tallest they can go due to limitations on tunnel heights. The same is true of Canada, where double decker are about 14.5 feet high. Why? Because their tunnel height tops out at about 20 feet.

So, let me repeat for you: there is NO WAY to squeeze a double decker into the PATH tunnels. It doesn't matter how often you keep repeating to yourself that fairy tale, you will NEVER see a double decker in the PATH tunnels. Those tunnels are under 16 feet of height. You CAN NOT fit a double decker in that space.

Posted on: 2016/1/30 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/29 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/29 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/29 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/29 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/28 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
JSQ to 33 and HOB to 33 operating with "en-route delays"
WTF is an en-route delay?

Just say my fuckign train is going to take an hour to get here so I can call an uber even though I already paid my fuckign 2.50.

Posted on: 2016/1/28 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/27 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCoffee wrote:

One possible issue with that technology in regards to the PATH in the turning radius. PATH has really tight turns compared to other subway system.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I've been a PATH rider long enough to know this is silly, but...really, no service between NWK and JSQ? I'm no expert on trains, but this is New Jersey. It snows. It snowed in 1906, and it snows now. In all that time, nobody figured out how the train can run in the snow?

The problem is the 3rd rail. Same reason LIRR and NYC Subways were F.U.B.A.R during the blizzard. It just takes the PA at least twice the amount of time to fix anything.

Posted on: 2016/1/27 18:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/3 3:12
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/27 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've been a PATH rider long enough to know this is silly, but...really, no service between NWK and JSQ? I'm no expert on trains, but this is New Jersey. It snows. It snowed in 1906, and it snows now. In all that time, nobody figured out how the train can run in the snow?

Posted on: 2016/1/25 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Speaking of the PATH.. anyone know the story behind this video?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=632_1453494379

Call me crazy, but I am most impressed / puzzled by the sight of an empty PATH car. In all my years riding PATH at all kinds of hours, I have NEVER seen a PATH car with just three people in it.

Late night / early AM during the week it gets like that. My Sister-in law had was in a car with only a few people when the beating & mugging of a woman happened a while back.

Must be REALLY late, like 3 or 4 AM. The crowding conditions of trains leaving 33rd between midnight and 2 AM can rival the worst commute trains I have taken. It is particularly fun when someone blitzed gets on and proceeds to throw up during one of the jerky twist or turns. :)

Posted on: 2016/1/25 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Call me crazy, but I am most impressed / puzzled by the sight of an empty PATH car. In all my years riding PATH at all kinds of hours, I have NEVER seen a PATH car with just three people in it.

Late night / early AM during the week it gets like that. My Sister-in law had was in a car with only a few people when the beating & mugging of a woman happened a while back.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/25 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday I peeked over the fence on Tonnele Ave near Newark- the little cement bridge that spans the cut for the PATH tracks, among other tracks. These are the tracks that run West from Journal Square to Harrison and Newark. I could see there was an undisturbed blanket of snow covering all the tracks, nothing had rolled over them as of 4:00 Sunday the 24th. There was a crew of about fifteen guys on foot on the path tracks, armed with shovels and spaced out at intervals of 40' or so, and they appeared to be digging under the safety cap the runs over the Third Rail. I assume they were clearing electrical junctions or something that were bridged by the snow- thats my guess. They were not digging out the tracks, they were digging in specific uniformly spaced areas on the Third Rail. My guess is the snow is too deep to allow them to switch the current on and allow PATH trains to run. My guess is the snow would be bridging too many gaps and shorting out the line. I saw heavier engine powered equipment form the JFK Bridge adjacent to Journal Square, they had a backhoe on the rails. But all the tracks were covered with a blanket of snow with some rather large drifts in places.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

We really need to see what happens before this to make an informed judgment.

If this is a Muslim "migrant," it wouldn't surprise me if he was attacking people, but we can't say for sure without knowing more.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

This should be passed onto the Port Authority police. The time spent capturing this footage is all well and good but somehow someone should have been notified. Perhaps there is a way to trace the origin of this clip. No one should conduct themselves like this on a train. I view it as terrorism.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 2:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/25 2:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
PATH Train Benny sighting today at 4pm on a 33rd line train just before Christopher Street. He did his normal spiel. He even quoted an address in hopes of legitimacy for the nonexistent Bergen-Lafayette Coalition to Feed the Homeless. It was 87 Fleet street or something. No in the car gave anything. He's looking in very rough shape these days. Don't do drugs, kids.

You must be new to JC. His name is Teddy.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
PATH Train Benny sighting today at 4pm on a 33rd line train just before Christopher Street. He did his normal spiel. He even quoted an address in hopes of legitimacy for the nonexistent Bergen-Lafayette Coalition to Feed the Homeless. It was 87 Fleet street or something. No in the car gave anything. He's looking in very rough shape these days. Don't do drugs, kids.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 23:44

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017