Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Storefronts not shoveled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Yes, we should hold the responsible parties accountable for not shoveling sidewalks.

But here's a broader question: Why is clearing streets (in every city) a government job, to be done with tax dollars, while clearing sidewalks is the responsibility of thousands of property owners?

It's INEVITABLE that some owners will fail to clear sidewalks, so anyone walking gets the shaft. Maybe there will be a fine, which bigger businesses and institutions will just eat. Maybe the city will come and do it later, if they know about it.

But the streets, for cars to drive in? Ohhhhh, that's sacred. We can't leave that to private citizens. The big metal boxes must get through! Make way! Important people driving!!

Before you tell me that it's all about emergency services using the roads, keep in mind that a first responder going to a call at a residence or business HAS TO USE THE SIDEWALK as well as the street.

Nope. That's not it. It's just yet another hangover of our car-biased culture.

I suppose there's some merit to what you say, but what about the fact that a car slipping out of control on an unplowed, icy street is much more a potential death machine than an individual slipping on a sidewalk. Both are safety issues, but cars slipping around on an un-cleared road pose a much greater threat to the general public. Hence the need for the government function. It would be nice if the government did both, but I suppose funds are limited.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
So EMTs can walk, with some difficulty, through 2 feet of snow. Can they walk, while carrying a patient with a delicate spinal cord injury, through our nearly 3 feet, or 5 feet of plow pile? Maybe, maybe not. Can firefighters in heavy gear get in quickly enough to save a life? Maybe, maybe not.

I would agree that government clearing sidewalks could turn out just to be just as ineffective. But does it? How well does Ottawa work?

I'd be happy with any combination of government and private duty, and maybe some more overlap would work best, as some have suggested (including me), with private responsibility backed by tougher enforcement and penalties, plus a government squad for anything that lasts too long.

The point is, they current system leaves far too many people trapped in their homes for days, or risking their lives just walking around. It needs to be improved.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
What fantasy world do people live in where the government would do a better job shoveling sidewalks than the people who live with the sidewalk in front of their home? The main walkways would be shoveled long before any residential streets. Looking into the Ottawa situation, it appears that a lot of home owners still shovel their own walkways due to this timing.

I'm not going to wait around for the shovel crew to come past my building so that I can walk down the stairs and to the store. Give me a break.

You're free to shovel your sidewalk any time you wish. No one is stopping you.

Quote:

I'd more likely be in favor of increased fines for people and businesses that don't shovel. Maybe that could help finance an auxiliary city team of shovelers that could take care of the sidewalks that owners neglected.

What fantasy world do people live in where the government would properly enforce compliance of said laws?

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
What fantasy world do people live in where the government would do a better job shoveling sidewalks than the people who live with the sidewalk in front of their home? The main walkways would be shoveled long before any residential streets. Looking into the Ottawa situation, it appears that a lot of home owners still shovel their own walkways due to this timing.

I'm not going to wait around for the shovel crew to come past my building so that I can walk down the stairs and to the store. Give me a break.

I'd more likely be in favor of increased fines for people and businesses that don't shovel. Maybe that could help finance an auxiliary city team of shovelers that could take care of the sidewalks that owners neglected.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, I don't see why citizens need to shovel the sidewalk. In an ideal world, everyone would, but we know they won't and we know the city won't even penalize the non-offenders.

So it'd be more realistic for the city to do it even though it adds to the budget. This way, the shoveling will get done and the public benefits.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Yes, we should hold the responsible parties accountable for not shoveling sidewalks.

But here's a broader question: Why is clearing streets (in every city) a government job, to be done with tax dollars, while clearing sidewalks is the responsibility of thousands of property owners?

It's not in EVERY city. Ottawa, for example (yes I know that's not America, but bear with me) shovels sidewalks with little mini snowplows. you want to do that? Fine. Tell everyone about that tax increase.

Quote:

But the streets, for cars to drive in? Ohhhhh, that's sacred. We can't leave that to private citizens. The big metal boxes must get through! Make way! Important people driving!!

Before you tell me that it's all about emergency services using the roads, keep in mind that a first responder going to a call at a residence or business HAS TO USE THE SIDEWALK as well as the street.

An EMS worker can walk through 2' of snow. Should they have to ? No of course not. An ambuluance, however, can likely not drive through 2' of snow. I don't rank cars above people in cities at all - pedestrians take priority - but that's no excuse for denigrating street plowing.

Quote:

Let's at least tighten up the whole regime of ticketing and fining as much as possible, to where the city basically says, if it's not done by X o'clock, we send a contracted crew and bill you for all the time at niiiice, hiiiigh union combat wages, with plenty of extra charges for equipment, toe-warmers, and bourbon.

agreed

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
USPS didn't even shovel their sidewalks properly!

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users

It's INEVITABLE that some owners will fail to clear sidewalks, so anyone walking gets the shaft. Maybe there will be a fine, which bigger businesses and institutions will just eat. Maybe the city will come and do it later, if they know about it.

Nope. That's not it. It's just yet another hangover of our car-biased culture.

Maybe we should change it.

Let's at least tighten up the whole regime of ticketing and fining as much as possible, to where the city basically says, if it's not done by X o'clock, we send a contracted crew and bill you for all the time at niiiice, hiiiigh union combat wages, with plenty of extra charges for equipment, toe-warmers, and bourbon.

Bet we see a lot more action that way, whether it's private or public.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
As of this morning the sidewalk in front of the JC Division of Health And Human Services on Summit Ave had yet to be shoveled.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Oasis of Salvation Church did a terrible job clearing their sidewalks last year, and it seems to be continuing this year.

On Sunday, they shoveled to the point that there was still a couple inches of hard packed snow remaining. I really hope that it melts today, because it will be a slippery mess once it starts raining.

I will be submitting requests to the JC online help center each time there is snow this year. It is bad enough that this place doesn't pay taxes, but they can at least try to be as considerate as all the other neighbors on Wayne St who cleared their sidewalks on Sunday.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
It should certainly not fall to firemen to be doing this city work. And while on the subject I will make something plaint that I would have thought was REALLY obvious: You have to shovel out the fire hydrants! YOU HAVE TO SHOVEL OUT THE FIRE HYDRANTS! And that does not just mean exposing the red paint on the hydrant, you have to shovel out AROUND the hydrant in order that a hose can be mated to the valve. I saw two on JFK Blvd that had the snow removed from them but not enough to get a hose in there.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Firemen on our corner (Montgomery) shoveling out crosswalks, drains and hydrants. In truth, the crosswalk paths had been well cut, but then last night's big snow removal on Montgomery filled them in a bit.

This is a nice new practice. Hoping everyone else is faring better today.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Please, go in and complain at the stores. Let them know people can't get to their businesses if they don't shovel to the street.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Onto the snow shame snow pile I will also throw sidewalk intersections not being shoveled. Regardless of whatever the law is, its idiotic to shovel up to the corner then stop without reaching the street- the point of a clear sidewalk is that you can walk across an intersection to the NEXT sidewalk. I'm looking at you Every Merchant On Newark from Tonnele to Grove.

and Talde.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Onto the snow shame snow pile I will also throw sidewalk intersections not being shoveled. Regardless of whatever the law is, its idiotic to shovel up to the corner then stop without reaching the street- the point of a clear sidewalk is that you can walk across an intersection to the NEXT sidewalk. I'm looking at you Every Merchant On Newark from Tonnele to Grove.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Use the Jersey City RRC Fix-It App to report unshoveled sidewalks.

Make A Request
Streets
Unshoveled Sidewalk

Put in the address, take photos if you want.

Posting in here does.... nothing. RRC at least gets the name to the city.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
161-169 Monroe St, parking lot appears to have plowed all the snow from the lot onto the sidewalk, 3+' mounds. Reported on JCRRC fix-it app this morning.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 18:03
utterly deplorable

Storefronts not shoveled
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thought maybe we could start a thread of sidewalks that store owners and buildings are responsible for that have not been taken care of. If you dont like the idea I will delete thread. The hope is that businesses will see this and feel ashamed.

To start:

Welcome to the Northeast South House, Now shovel and salt so your customers dont get hurt.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 17:05

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017