Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Thanks elsquid. Anyone have any idea how those numbers match up to the projections?

On a related note, is there interconnectivity between the JC and Hoboken systems? It seems to me I saw some of their bikes in our racks (not to turn this into a Sharks vs. Jets thing).

They are in line with some projections I've heard. Citi Bike JC just announced an expansion, and that would not be happening if the numbers weren't at least adequate by their lights. They originally left expansion conditional on adding a decent number of new members.

Hoboken's bike share (Hudson Bike Share) is completely unrelated. Their parking bikes at JC public racks Downtown has become a bone of contention, as has their individual members' occasionally leaving their bikes in inappropriate places in JC, apparently.

But in fairness, having their bikes in JC does give us the chance to jump on them and ride to Hoboken on a day pass. I actually am an annual member of both, and I'll probably do this on occasion.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks elsquid. Anyone have any idea how those numbers match up to the projections?

On a related note, is there interconnectivity between the JC and Hoboken systems? It seems to me I saw some of their bikes in our racks (not to turn this into a Sharks vs. Jets thing).

Posted on: 2016/2/19 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Stats from 2015, rounded (from the JC launch September 21 to year-end):

53,000+ trips within Jersey City
4,600 members with JC addresses
1,700 of those are new members since the JC launch

Stats are from Citi Bike JC via the mayor's office.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

15 new stations planned for Citi Bike Jersey City — where should they go?

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
February 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM

JERSEY CITY — Citi Bike Jersey City lovers, where do you want new stations? Jersey City wants your input.

The bike-share system that launched on this side of the Hudson River in September with 35 stations citywide is planning an expansion, with 15 new stations and 150 more bikes in the pipeline for later this year.

The system's operators are seeking input from residents on where the new bike stations should be. Visit the online survey to add your suggestions.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... iti_bike_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2016/2/17 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I guess it's almost as convenient to just drop off a Citibike at the Paulus Hook ferry and pick another one up at WFC. But it's annoying that you can cross rivers and boroughs with the same bike, but not from JC. It's almost like, well what's the point of an integrated system? Oh well, maybe it will change over time.

Either way; I just signed up yesterday so I'm excited to get started. I'm low on the experience scale of urban street bicycling, so I have a lot to learn and I guess I should probably get a helmet.

The CitiBike JC and CitiBike NYC programs are completely separate entities, but have a reciprocal arrangement in place to allow for the same keys and membership to be enjoyed on either side of the Hudson.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i believe there are usually plenty of citibikes to be had around wfc in the am

I can tell you that rack one block north of the WTC PATH station is usually almost bare by the time 9:30 AM rolls around, which is more or less when I get there. I always manage to find a bike, but it is usually the very last one, or next to last one.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I guess it's almost as convenient to just drop off a Citibike at the Paulus Hook ferry and pick another one up at WFC. But it's annoying that you can cross rivers and boroughs with the same bike, but not from JC. It's almost like, well what's the point of an integrated system? Oh well, maybe it will change over time.

Either way; I just signed up yesterday so I'm excited to get started. I'm low on the experience scale of urban street bicycling, so I have a lot to learn and I guess I should probably get a helmet.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i believe there are usually plenty of citibikes to be had around wfc in the am

Posted on: 2016/1/19 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Is it the same policy with dropping off bikes between separate boroughs?

No, all NYC bikes can be dropped at any NYC dock. People ride them over the East River bridges all the time.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is it the same policy with dropping off bikes between separate boroughs?

Posted on: 2016/1/19 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Does anybody know if I can hop on a Citibike in JC, jump on a ferry, and ride the Citibike and drop it off near my office in Manhattan? It's not clearly answered in the FAQs on Citibike's page (says you can use it on both sides of the Hudson, but doesn't mention picking up on one side and dropping off on the other).

Nope. You're supposed to use JC bikes in JC, NYC bikes in NYC. There is a Citi Bike JC dock near the Paulus Hook (Colgate) ferry terminal where you can drop off your JC bike.

Posted on: 2016/1/19 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The answer is "no"

Posted on: 2016/1/19 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody know if I can hop on a Citibike in JC, jump on a ferry, and ride the Citibike and drop it off near my office in Manhattan? It's not clearly answered in the FAQs on Citibike's page (says you can use it on both sides of the Hudson, but doesn't mention picking up on one side and dropping off on the other).

Posted on: 2016/1/19 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

How Soon Till a National Bike-Share Workers Union?

Posted on: 2016/1/19 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Getting a citibike station close to the Hoboken PATH station would make perfect logical sense and I wonder why the nearest JC citibike station isn't as close as possible? As it is, if you want to get off PATH at Hoboken station the nearest citibike station is at River Drive South and Newport Parkway and in my opinion it should be right up against the Hoboken boarder at 14th St at Newport Green park, where there is PLENTY of room for it in a very bike friendly corner of town.

Not sure how TWO BLOCKS is that much of a big deal, but if you REALLY want to see a station added at Newport Green Park, why not petition for one? You can twitter and Facebook message CitiBike. According to past statements, they are constantly analyzing usage and will be adjusting the placement of some stations.

Overall, I agree with your point that bikes should be close to where they are needed. Ultimately, we could have had a really awesome regional bike share system, but JC chose wisely in aligning with CitiBike. Hoboken and those other towns really did a disservice to their residents and the rest of the region.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Getting a citibike station close to the Hoboken PATH station would make perfect logical sense and I wonder why the nearest JC citibike station isn't as close as possible? As it is, if you want to get off PATH at Hoboken station the nearest citibike station is at River Drive South and Newport Parkway and in my opinion it should be right up against the Hoboken boarder at 14th St at Newport Green park, where there is PLENTY of room for it in a very bike friendly corner of town.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwocius wrote:
i wonder if the JCPD has more pressing matters than impounding bikes.

Ah, of course, the old faulty logic of "police should concentrate on X, not Y" as if the police could only focus on one thing at a time.

Maybe if the police would enforce seemingly unimportant things, like the nightly curfew, or QOL issues, we would see a decrease on the senseless violence affecting and sometimes killing our city youth. But, yeah, why not, let's ONLY concentrate on whatever it is you think is more pressing.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Is it unthinkable that maybe Fulop and Zimmer could fix this in a five minute phone call??

I think I would agree with you on principle. But not sure how that conversation would go given the egos involved. I am thinking something like this:
SF: Dawn, seriously, WTF?
DZ: Stevie, our bike system is struggling, we need some help.
SF: You should have listened to me.
DZ: Well, technically, it is not our issue to solve, the bike share is operated by a private company.

I think Candace may be starting to flex some muscle given the high probability that Steve will launch a bid for the governorship. If he was to win (unlikely scenario at the moment) I suppose the mayor's seat would be wide open, but she sits close to the seat of power and has Steve's ear. She would be dumb to wait until his bid plays out to start flexing her political muscles and positioning herself for a potential bid for the mayorship. Time will tell.

On principle alone, I think Hoboken is out of line on this matter. But, in a more sensical world, it would make sense to have a combined bike share system. In fact, in a sensical world, there would be a regional transit authority coordinating the various systems now controlled by competing interests.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Is it unthinkable that maybe Fulop and Zimmer could fix this in a five minute phone call??

Posted on: 2015/12/1 12:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/15 20:10
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder if the JCPD has more pressing matters than impounding bikes.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Even if its not actually illegal to park commercial bikes at public racks, its a small system without much of a budget. Hoboken might be able to file a lawsuit to get the JCPD to stop, or it might bankrupt the bikeshare system before it gets that far. Even so, the duration of a few months should be enough time for the council to actually make it illegal to park the for profit bikes at public racks.

Isn?t one of the relative benefits of the Nextbike system used by Hudson Bike Share that the bikes can be locked to any rack using their integral cable locks during the rental period? That seems as reasonable as the freedom to park a rental car in a public space.

If HBS is stationing un-hired bikes at public racks, that?s different, but in order to make the distinction, law enforcement would have to pay close attention and create an ongoing public expense in the process. Or... we could just spring for more public bike racks.

Again, in this case, legality probably doesn't matter. It will take a lot of time for the Hoboken bike share to pursue a legal remedy. Meanwhile, their bikes will continue to be impounded.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
extreme bike share! Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/11/30 22:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Even if its not actually illegal to park commercial bikes at public racks, its a small system without much of a budget. Hoboken might be able to file a lawsuit to get the JCPD to stop, or it might bankrupt the bikeshare system before it gets that far. Even so, the duration of a few months should be enough time for the council to actually make it illegal to park the for profit bikes at public racks.

Isn?t one of the relative benefits of the Nextbike system used by Hudson Bike Share that the bikes can be locked to any rack using their integral cable locks during the rental period? That seems as reasonable as the freedom to park a rental car in a public space.

If HBS is stationing un-hired bikes at public racks, that?s different, but in order to make the distinction, law enforcement would have to pay close attention and create an ongoing public expense in the process. Or... we could just spring for more public bike racks.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Seems like a pretty easy solution is to simply have the JCPD cut off the locks on the Hoboken bikes and impound them.

I was thinking the same thing. I am not seeing how this is an issue to the extent that it has a very simple solution. Surely there is some sort of statute in the books that prohibits the use of public property for private gain without proper approval. The Council should petition the mayor to direct the JCPD to impound all the offending bikes. That should get the attention of Zimmer and her cohorts. Pretty ballsy on their part to suggest a "solution" of CitiBike placing stations in Hoboken. Hoboken really, really made a mistake in choosing to go with a different system. The logical solution was the one adopted by JC: align yourself with a system already in place across the river which has already worked out the early kinks of any such implementation and which has the added benefit of being of use to potential customers across both sides.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Seems like a pretty easy solution is to simply have the JCPD cut off the locks on the Hoboken bikes and impound them.

I was thinking the same thing. I am not seeing how this is an issue to the extent that it has a very simple solution. Surely there is some sort of statute in the books that prohibits the use of public property for private gain without proper approval. The Council should petition the mayor to direct the JCPD to impound all the offending bikes. That should get the attention of Zimmer and her cohorts. Pretty ballsy on their part to suggest a "solution" of CitiBike placing stations in Hoboken. Hoboken really, really made a mistake in choosing to go with a different system. The logical solution was the one adopted by JC: align yourself with a system already in place across the river which has already worked out the early kinks of any such implementation and which has the added benefit of being of use to potential customers across both sides.

Posted on: 2015/11/30 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/30 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i think it ould b grrat if thy had hobokn biks in jc, and som citibik stations in hobokn. hn ar thy going to xpand to bayonn?

Posted on: 2015/11/29 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Mind your own rack!
Tension erupts over Hoboken, Jersey City bike share programs

by Al Sullivan and Steven Rodas
Reporter staff writers
Nov 22, 2015 | 3077 
Jersey City and Hoboken’s relatively new bike share programs – which were once supposed to be linked but ended up being run separately – have had their ups and downs throughout their first couple of months.

At the outset in January 2014, Hoboken, Weehawken, and Jersey City announced a collaborative 50-station system throughout all three towns. But ultimately, Jersey City opted to be included in New York City’s CitiBike program, which allows riders to link to the popular system in use in Manhattan. Hoboken launched Hudson Bike Share instead, while Weehawken chose not to pursue a bike share at all.

As Hoboken’s program has been slower to start, it hit some bumps in the road.

A Jersey City official was enraged recently when she found out that the vendor supplying bicycles to Hoboken’s Hudson Bike Share program appeared to be placing bikes in public racks in Jersey City. A resident of Jersey City complained to Councilwoman Candice Osborne that a rack in Jersey City was completely filled with Hoboken bicycles.
Osborne told The Reporter that when she contacted Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer about the issue, Zimmer offered to broker a deal that would allow Hoboken bicycles to be stationed in Jersey City, and offered Jersey City the option of locating some CitiBike stations in Hoboken.

But Zimmer may just be spinning her wheels in trying to make such a trade. Osborne wasn’t having it.

Posted on: 2015/11/29 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
... By the same logic, a person, or a couple, that chooses to remain child-free can and should be able to avoid paying school taxes. And, since I never get sick, I should be allowed to pay less taxes to support hospitals. The thing about taxes is that we all have to pay them, whether we derive a direct benefit or not.

This argument can get very reductionist on all sides, but there are huge differences between your examples (and many public services) and constant pandering to the privately owned passenger car.

We accept taxation to pay for other people's children's education, to fight other people's fires, to police other people's neighborhoods, etc., because to some degree, we all have at least the potential to need these services or are affected by them in some way; they are broadly essential to the community.

I don't have children, but, you know, somebody has to. I hope my apartment never catches fire, but it might, and also I don't want you to die in a fire.

Transportation is essential too. But I didn't say "cars," I said "transportation."

Yes, we're all willing to pay for some accommodation for privately owned passenger car transport (even though they are the dirtiest, most dangerous, least sustainable form of ground transport, a mode that every level of government has the official goal of reducing).

But prioritizing that one FORM of transport over all others, to the insane degree that is currently practiced, is a different story. Your (correct) logic that transport is everyone's business indicates that biking and walking and mass transit are also everybody's business, and it's perfectly fair for users of those modes to demand a bigger share of resources, both because it's our choice and because it also happens to be good policy on a dozen other grounds.

That was a very length reply to counter a point I wasn't making. I'm on the record as being pro cycling, pro bike shares, a member of CitiBike and and avid cyclist myself.

My post was about the faulty logic to which I alluded in my reply that says non car owners should be able to avoid paying a portion of their tax burden since they don't use up on street parking. That argument is a slippery slope.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
... By the same logic, a person, or a couple, that chooses to remain child-free can and should be able to avoid paying school taxes. And, since I never get sick, I should be allowed to pay less taxes to support hospitals. The thing about taxes is that we all have to pay them, whether we derive a direct benefit or not.

This argument can get very reductionist on all sides, but there are huge differences between your examples (and many public services) and constant pandering to the privately owned passenger car.

We accept taxation to pay for other people's children's education, to fight other people's fires, to police other people's neighborhoods, etc., because to some degree, we all have at least the potential to need these services or are affected by them in some way; they are broadly essential to the community.

I don't have children, but, you know, somebody has to. I hope my apartment never catches fire, but it might, and also I don't want you to die in a fire.

Transportation is essential too. But I didn't say "cars," I said "transportation."

Yes, we're all willing to pay for some accommodation for privately owned passenger car transport (even though they are the dirtiest, most dangerous, least sustainable form of ground transport, a mode that every level of government has the official goal of reducing).

But prioritizing that one FORM of transport over all others, to the insane degree that is currently practiced, is a different story. Your (correct) logic that transport is everyone's business indicates that biking and walking and mass transit are also everybody's business, and it's perfectly fair for users of those modes to demand a bigger share of resources, both because it's our choice and because it also happens to be good policy on a dozen other grounds.

Posted on: 2015/11/11 21:10

(1) 2 3 4 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017