Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 51

nimbus, more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 »


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?


BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them. From what I have heard from many people, there is always a line at CF, sometimes as long as an hour wait for a table. A few months ago, people were bemoaning the opening of a Domino's right off Newark and 1st, saying it made little sense that such a place would open there, since no one is interested in their products, and yet they are doing very, very well. I see Domino's delivery cars all over DTJC, EVERY DAY. That's one busy joint. I get that it is "cool" to deride chain places, but the snobbish attitude is definitely in stark contrast to the reality that exists here.


How can you talk about an "elitist" attitude on JCLIST and fail to mention Fulop himself?

Unlike random forum comments that don't mean anything, he's the one who took action to ban chain stores from downtown, thinking it will help him win the Governor race.


Sigh...

I disagree with the mayor's move that effectively banned "chains" in DTJC. But, my comment was not meant to start yet another political discussion. My post was a simple musing about the elitist expressions thrown around here all too often with regards to all chain businesses and how those views run in direct contradiction to what the population at large seems to support and/or patronize. What Fulop did, or supported, has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Dragging his name into this thread is utterly pointless.

BTW, I *understand* why there was a move to try and limit chains (there is something sad about urban city blocks overrun with McD's, Starbucks, DDs, Chipotle, Subway and bank branches, as you often see in some parts of NYC) but I think that was a classic example of "a solution in search of a problem" as DTJC is nowhere near saturated with such businesses.



Ok I see what you are saying but strongly disagree that dragging his name into this thread is pointless. Why do you think he made that move? It didn't occur in a vacuum.

He is pandering to people like the posters you decry, and is attempting to represent their view. I just think both he and they are wrong, in part for the reasons you say. But the two go hand in hand.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 18:44
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3434
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?


BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them. From what I have heard from many people, there is always a line at CF, sometimes as long as an hour wait for a table. A few months ago, people were bemoaning the opening of a Domino's right off Newark and 1st, saying it made little sense that such a place would open there, since no one is interested in their products, and yet they are doing very, very well. I see Domino's delivery cars all over DTJC, EVERY DAY. That's one busy joint. I get that it is "cool" to deride chain places, but the snobbish attitude is definitely in stark contrast to the reality that exists here.


How can you talk about an "elitist" attitude on JCLIST and fail to mention Fulop himself?

Unlike random forum comments that don't mean anything, he's the one who took action to ban chain stores from downtown, thinking it will help him win the Governor race.


Sigh...

I disagree with the mayor's move that effectively banned "chains" in DTJC. But, my comment was not meant to start yet another political discussion. My post was a simple musing about the elitist expressions thrown around here all too often with regards to all chain businesses and how those views run in direct contradiction to what the population at large seems to support and/or patronize. What Fulop did, or supported, has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Dragging his name into this thread is utterly pointless.

BTW, I *understand* why there was a move to try and limit chains (there is something sad about urban city blocks overrun with McD's, Starbucks, DDs, Chipotle, Subway and bank branches, as you often see in some parts of NYC) but I think that was a classic example of "a solution in search of a problem" as DTJC is nowhere near saturated with such businesses.


Posted on: 2016/1/18 17:36
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?


BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them. From what I have heard from many people, there is always a line at CF, sometimes as long as an hour wait for a table. A few months ago, people were bemoaning the opening of a Domino's right off Newark and 1st, saying it made little sense that such a place would open there, since no one is interested in their products, and yet they are doing very, very well. I see Domino's delivery cars all over DTJC, EVERY DAY. That's one busy joint. I get that it is "cool" to deride chain places, but the snobbish attitude is definitely in stark contrast to the reality that exists here.


How can you talk about an "elitist" attitude on JCLIST and fail to mention Fulop himself?

Unlike random forum comments that don't mean anything, he's the one who took action to ban chain stores from downtown, thinking it will help him win the Governor race.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 15:45
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/13 21:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3471
Offline
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them.

Meh

Some chains are good, some are OK, some are not.

I don't see people blasting Bonchon or Duane Reade or Barcade because they're chains. Except for the "yet another pizza place" that has greeted several non-chain pizza joints, Two Boots didn't get much stick until its owner expressed his opinions about food trucks and zoning.

Cheesecake Factory is just really egregious in that their food is really, really unhealthy. It routinely tops the list of unhealthiest restaurants in the US.
i agree that cf food is very unhealthy, but plenty of non-chain restaurants serve unhealthy food..plus, who eats there everyday except maybe the employees? i personally think dtjc could have used a place like cf to anchor a stronger street retail scene whereby local rstaurants could benefit from spillover effect. i can't see myself waiting an hour to eat at ck. hooters maybe; ck NO

Posted on: 2016/1/18 12:35
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/7 22:36
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 934
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?


BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them. From what I have heard from many people, there is always a line at CF, sometimes as long as an hour wait for a table. A few months ago, people were bemoaning the opening of a Domino's right off Newark and 1st, saying it made little sense that such a place would open there, since no one is interested in their products, and yet they are doing very, very well. I see Domino's delivery cars all over DTJC, EVERY DAY. That's one busy joint. I get that it is "cool" to deride chain places, but the snobbish attitude is definitely in stark contrast to the reality that exists here.


I had dinner at the CF a few weeks ago, it was very good. They have a secondary menu which is a low calorie/ low fat menu with good options, I ordered from that menu not the regular artery clogging menu. Had to wait 1/2 hour for a table but it was worth it. My server told me that this location has turned into the 3rd highest grossing location in the CF chain. I walked by the restaurant Sunday afternoon around 3:30 which is usually a dead time for most restaurants and they were packed. Conclusion: they will do very well without elitist whiners on JC List.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 12:34
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 933
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them.

Meh

Some chains are good, some are OK, some are not.

I don't see people blasting Bonchon or Duane Reade or Barcade because they're chains. Except for the "yet another pizza place" that has greeted several non-chain pizza joints, Two Boots didn't get much stick until its owner expressed his opinions about food trucks and zoning.

Cheesecake Factory is just really egregious in that their food is really, really unhealthy. It routinely tops the list of unhealthiest restaurants in the US.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 12:27
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#36
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3434
Offline
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?


BTW, not quite on topic, but something that has been on my mind lately: I find it amusing that people in JCLIST love to shit on all these "chain" places, but the truth on the street is these places are super popular and people love to frequent them. From what I have heard from many people, there is always a line at CF, sometimes as long as an hour wait for a table. A few months ago, people were bemoaning the opening of a Domino's right off Newark and 1st, saying it made little sense that such a place would open there, since no one is interested in their products, and yet they are doing very, very well. I see Domino's delivery cars all over DTJC, EVERY DAY. That's one busy joint. I get that it is "cool" to deride chain places, but the snobbish attitude is definitely in stark contrast to the reality that exists here.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 10:06
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3434
Offline
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?


As far as I know, nothing has been announced as of yet. In fact, I don't even recall a "style" being announced.

If I had to guess, based on the opening of CF next to it, I would guess it is going to be another similar upscale, casual dining restaurant, such as Brio Tuscan Grille, or perhaps maybe a PF Changs. They seem to go hand in hand in their locations in malls across America.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 9:59
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#34
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/13 21:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3471
Offline
cheesecake factory was awfully busy yesterday! what's the other italian-style restaurant that is opening across from cheesecake factory?

Posted on: 2016/1/18 9:29
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/8 15:49
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 801
Offline
Never ate at one of these places but wouldn't mind checking it out. I don't see a problem with eating unhealthy high calorie foods if it is occasional. Actually the link listing the items they have with the calorie count kind of made me want to try them out even more when I saw the selection. lol

Posted on: 2015/12/31 2:53
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 933
Offline
Quote:

SOS wrote:
It's basically a factory that makes cheesecakes and the restaurant area is there so people can watch the production.

They don't manufacture cheesecakes. They manufacture fat Americans and heart attacks. The Ranch House Burger has 1890 calories and 2800g of salt.

http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition ... rant-nutrition-chart.php?


Posted on: 2015/12/29 19:06
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#31
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/15 20:17
From vanvorst
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 21
Offline
Politics and cheesecake don't mix.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 16:41
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/13 21:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3471
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I'm starting a community action group to protest this rezoning. Doesn't anyone else realize what the excess cream cheese and sugar will do to the water table? It's basically fracking but with a graham cracker crust. Yet again, Fulop capitulates to the Dessert-Industrial Complex that pays for his campaigns.


Fulop missed an opportunity to turn the powerhouse into a Cheesecake Factory. Good luck becoming the governor now, Mr. Mayor.
i think we need to keep fulop here until he has shown he is capable of leading


Your logic translates into "let's keep an ineffective leader until he/she can show he is not ineffective and we can then let him/her go". How does that make ANY sense?

In the real world, everyone is happy to see an ineffective leader go away.

NB: I am not offering an opinion on Fulop's effectiveness as a leader.

PS - I find it amusing that my autocorrect keeps changing Fulop to Flop.
i am saying that fulop is simply not ready to be governor....that there are probably better candidates. i think fulop is ok as mayor; he's not great but somewhat better than healy.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 15:41
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/14 9:36
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 416
Offline
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I'm starting a community action group to protest this rezoning. Doesn't anyone else realize what the excess cream cheese and sugar will do to the water table? It's basically fracking but with a graham cracker crust. Yet again, Fulop capitulates to the Dessert-Industrial Complex that pays for his campaigns.


Fulop missed an opportunity to turn the powerhouse into a Cheesecake Factory. Good luck becoming the governor now, Mr. Mayor.


Almost anything is better than an empty space, but turning that space into a Cheesecake Factory would've been a huge let down.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 14:19
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3434
Offline
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I'm starting a community action group to protest this rezoning. Doesn't anyone else realize what the excess cream cheese and sugar will do to the water table? It's basically fracking but with a graham cracker crust. Yet again, Fulop capitulates to the Dessert-Industrial Complex that pays for his campaigns.


Fulop missed an opportunity to turn the powerhouse into a Cheesecake Factory. Good luck becoming the governor now, Mr. Mayor.
i think we need to keep fulop here until he has shown he is capable of leading


Your logic translates into "let's keep an ineffective leader until he/she can show he is not ineffective and we can then let him/her go". How does that make ANY sense?

In the real world, everyone is happy to see an ineffective leader go away.

NB: I am not offering an opinion on Fulop's effectiveness as a leader.

PS - I find it amusing that my autocorrect keeps changing Fulop to Flop.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 14:01
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/13 21:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3471
Offline
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I'm starting a community action group to protest this rezoning. Doesn't anyone else realize what the excess cream cheese and sugar will do to the water table? It's basically fracking but with a graham cracker crust. Yet again, Fulop capitulates to the Dessert-Industrial Complex that pays for his campaigns.


Fulop missed an opportunity to turn the powerhouse into a Cheesecake Factory. Good luck becoming the governor now, Mr. Mayor.
i think we need to keep fulop here until he has shown he is capable of leading

Posted on: 2015/12/29 12:00
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 332
Offline
Waiting for Yvonne to blame the Cheesecake Factory on Fulop, that is unless she likes it then she will give all the credit to Healy.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:43
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/7/25 2:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 240
Offline
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
I'm starting a community action group to protest this rezoning. Doesn't anyone else realize what the excess cream cheese and sugar will do to the water table? It's basically fracking but with a graham cracker crust. Yet again, Fulop capitulates to the Dessert-Industrial Complex that pays for his campaigns.


Fulop missed an opportunity to turn the powerhouse into a Cheesecake Factory. Good luck becoming the governor now, Mr. Mayor.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:40
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
All I know is that Jersey City used to be full of factories decades ago. Then all the jobs went overseas to follow the cheap labor. It's nice to see a factory starting in Jersey City. Even if it is just cheesecakes. What the hell, we had a matzoh factory nearby until recently.


I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious. If the latter, the Cheesecake Factory is a chain restaurant and not an actual factory.


Wrong. It's basically a factory that makes cheesecakes and the restaurant area is there so people can watch the production.


Didn't know that and I've been there before lol. Good to know.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:33
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/4/7 12:51
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 183
Offline
I'm starting a community action group to protest this rezoning. Doesn't anyone else realize what the excess cream cheese and sugar will do to the water table? It's basically fracking but with a graham cracker crust. Yet again, Fulop capitulates to the Dessert-Industrial Complex that pays for his campaigns.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:20
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/16 20:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1153
Offline
correct, they had to jump through a lot of hoops to get that space rezoned as industrial.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:17
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/9/17 23:58
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 813
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
All I know is that Jersey City used to be full of factories decades ago. Then all the jobs went overseas to follow the cheap labor. It's nice to see a factory starting in Jersey City. Even if it is just cheesecakes. What the hell, we had a matzoh factory nearby until recently.


I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious. If the latter, the Cheesecake Factory is a chain restaurant and not an actual factory.


Wrong. It's basically a factory that makes cheesecakes and the restaurant area is there so people can watch the production.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 18:56
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
All I know is that Jersey City used to be full of factories decades ago. Then all the jobs went overseas to follow the cheap labor. It's nice to see a factory starting in Jersey City. Even if it is just cheesecakes. What the hell, we had a matzoh factory nearby until recently.


I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious. If the latter, the Cheesecake Factory is a chain restaurant and not an actual factory.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 18:30
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/8/6 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 502
Offline
All I know is that Jersey City used to be full of factories decades ago. Then all the jobs went overseas to follow the cheap labor. It's nice to see a factory starting in Jersey City. Even if it is just cheesecakes. What the hell, we had a matzoh factory nearby until recently.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 18:17
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/1/23 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 299
Offline
tried it, it was alright, food slightly better than the average chilis or applebee, and service as well.

Go once a while as a guilty pleasure? sure. Waiting 40 mins for it? no thanks.

Does anyone know what is opening up across the cheesecake factory?

Posted on: 2015/12/28 14:58
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/11 19:13
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 753
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Most Americans are fat and nasty.


Thank you, we like you too.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 10:51
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#16
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/11 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 92
Offline
Does anyone know what they're doing with the entrance to the mall (via the escalators) on Washington Avenue? Can be confusing for people coming from the Newport PATH trying to figure out how to get into the mall (not that it was that clear before but......).

Posted on: 2015/12/28 9:25
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 13:21
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4913
Offline
Gross, 90% of my shopping is done in the produce section. Most Americans are fat and nasty. I wont be supporting this.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 23:10
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#14
Moderator
Moderator


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/1/6 2:40
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Posts: 196
Offline
Newport Mall has a new main entrance facing the Light Rail.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/12/27 22:51
Print Top


Re: The Cheesecake Factory in Newport
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/7 22:36
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 934
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
i will never understand why cheesecake factory is so popular, it's just regular american comfort food similar to chilis etc..in my opinion


Their entrees routinely make lists of "most unhealthy meals in America," so that's probably a good indication of why they are popular.


Their food is high in cholesterol and calories, not the type of place you should eat at often.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition ... ries/cheesecake-factory/1

Posted on: 2015/10/28 11:10
Print Top




(1) 2 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017