Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Community Public Safety Meeting on January 11th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
PEBBLE,

YOU HAVE HIT ON MANY VALID POINTS IN YOUR REPLY, SO I SHALL ADDRESS THEM INDIVIDUALLY BEFORE PROVIDING MY 'OVERVIEW' TAKE-AWAY FROM THE MEETING:

1]"I don't know how you feel about a lot of these measures"

add garbage cans> AGREE

add better and more lighting to sidewalks>AGREE... AM A BIG FAN OF LIGHTING, AS IT IS MY CHOSEN PROFESSION & ...Shining a LIGHT on 'COCKROACHES' Makes Them FLEE/SCATTER...also makes the Images Caught on Camera BETTER

add cameras> OR AT THE VERY LEAST, ACTIVATE/MODERNIZE THE 80%+ ONES THAT ARE IN PLACE - AGREEx1000

speed bump installation is pathetic> AGREE

in such a way that you wouldn't see a difference in care between downtown and the rest of the city> AGREE+++....There should be NO PLATFORM 4 'A TALE of 2CITIES', While WE ARE ASSESSED, w/o Opportunity for ABATEMENTS, to PAY the MOST EXPENSIVE PROPERTY TAXES in the USA

police do not have the manpower nor the budget to handle the issues> BIG DIS-AGREE ...[A WHOLE OTHER EXPANDED DISCUSSION IS IN ORDER & REQUIRED....]
----------------------------------------------------------------

2] "If Fulop and the city wanted to make the areas safer and better"
I PERSONALLY DO NOT BELIEVE THAT FULOP WANTS TO MAKE AREAS OUTSIDE OF DOWNTOWN SAFER OR BETTER 4 THE EXISTING RESIDENTS, AS HE CONTINUES TO CREATE DIVISIVENESS, SHOWING US NOTHING BUT CONTINUED DIS-RESPECT, TREATING US AS 'TEMPORARY PLACEHOLDERS' IN HIS OVERALL PLANS 4 SUCH VALUABLE REAL-ESTATE, WITHIN SUCH CLOSE COMMUTER PROXIMITY TO NYC[MANHATTAN specifically]

Posted on: 2016/1/16 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

light12v wrote:
PEBBLE, is your take-away from the entire video i posted limited to calling out Yvonne for her concern about our tax dollars that subsidize public housing which house many offenders ??? [its a small part of a much BIGGER PROBLEM, me thinks]

No. I was commented to Yvonne about her actions.

My take-away from the video is the same thing that I take away from all my meetings with the city police officials (and there have been numerous meetings over the last few years)... The police do not have the manpower nor the budget to handle the issues. As such, they take piecemeal actions of patchworked together ideas. Sometimes this adds a feeling of safety. Most times it results in what appear to be half-measures and no real full commitment.

If Fulop and the city wanted to make the areas safer and better, they'd add garbage cans. They'd add better and more lighting to sidewalks. They would add cameras to the corners. They would fix up roads (some of the half-assed efforts for speed bump installation is pathetic) in such a way that you wouldn't see a difference in care between downtown and the rest of the city. They would fix the wires hanging on the poles so that they aren't draping so low over the roads and actually look organized and presentable.

I don't know how you feel about a lot of these measures or if you believe none of these would help. However, part of what makes people respect an area is if the people that own and maintain it treat it with respect.

Beyond that, the police need to be more interactive with residents. There needs to be long office hours, beyond 9-5, for community members to arrive at a police station to discuss issues that bother them or to just interact and get to know the officers working in the area. There needs to be police walking around the city throughout the day and night. A resident standing on a corner on Monticello or Bergen or Communipaw or Belmont or Harrison should see a policeman or policewoman pass them at least once an hour.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 18:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
PEBBLE,
Is your Take-Away from the Entire Video posted limited to calling out Yvonne for her concern about our tax dollars that subsidize public housing which house many offenders ??? [its BUT a small part of a much BIGGER PROBLEM, me thinks]

Posted on: 2016/1/15 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Salem-Lafayette is a prime example. It was built around 1974 and received a 30 tax abatement. Fulop renewed the tax abatement for another 30 years. I spoke during the crime forum and the police agreed with me. That place is always having problems with crime. A number of years ago, a young child was hit by gun fire. Another example are the buildings on Bergen especially Lexington. Those buildings also had their tax abatements renewed for another 30 years. The people there complain about he drug crime all the time. Over a period of time some residents come down to city hall and complain to council members. When I was the president of the Van Vorst Park Association, the developers of Montgomery Gateway asked the Association to support their development. We asked they screened their tenants. They said they would. This happened in early 1970s. Fast forward 25 year later, Montgomery Gateway is on an episode of "Cops." The grandmother and other family members were arrested for selling drugs. They are probably living there.

After watching the video kindly provided by others, it was interesting to see how you were able to completely waste 6 minutes of the mayor's time, the policemen's time and my time with a bunch of superfluous nonsense.

The police did *NOT* agree with you. He said you are right that criminals shouldn't be living there. Your problem is that you have no examples. All you have are claims.

Let's take this sentence:
"The grandmother and other family members were arrested for selling drugs. They are probably living there."
Here are the problems:

1. "Probably" living there doesn't mean "IS" living there. They are or they aren't. If they are not living there, your claim is mere fear building. Ultimately, you have no proof.

2. Being arrested for something is not the same as going to jail for something. The basis of our legal system is the presumption of innocence. If someone was arrested and sentenced for selling drugs last year, it is most likely that they are still in jail this year. As such, those individuals would not be living in public housing.

Ultimately, you are not being honest with your comments to the city. You make reference to unnamed people that supposedly ?complain about the drug crime all the time.? You make claims about drug dealers living there without naming them nor their addresses. None of this is productive. If you truly have evidence, then you should be providing it to the police so that they can arrest, prosecute and jail the individuals.

As an addendum: Personally, I think it is exceptionally selfish and egotistical that you would travel out of your neighborhood in the Heights to attend a meeting for Ward F. The mayor and police will be traveling to the Heights to speak with residents there. However, you chose to take a seat away from an area resident (don't claim you didn't as there were numerous individuals standing in the back) and then you interjected nonsensical crap into the discussion. Those are the actions of egotistical individual that believes their self-worth is vastly greater than what it really is.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 17:49
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
IF ANY OF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT WENT DOWN ON MONDAY EVENING YOU CAN WATCH THE 11 CLIPS OF THE ENTIRE PRESENTATION AT THE FOLLOWING LINK PROVIDED BY AWEN GROUP>>>>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLq6b ... =UUzg5d7R0-bHVfrSz4KI4iYA

EVERYONE IS FREE TO DRAW THEIR OWN CONCLUSIONS FROM THIS UNEDITED FOOTAGE

Posted on: 2016/1/15 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Salem-Lafayette is a prime example. It was built around 1974 and received a 30 tax abatement. Fulop renewed the tax abatement for another 30 years. I spoke during the crime forum and the police agreed with me. That place is always having problems with crime. A number of years ago, a young child was hit by gun fire. Another example are the buildings on Bergen especially Lexington. Those buildings also had their tax abatements renewed for another 30 years. The people there complain about he drug crime all the time. Over a period of time some residents come down to city hall and complain to council members. When I was the president of the Van Vorst Park Association, the developers of Montgomery Gateway asked the Association to support their development. We asked they screened their tenants. They said they would. This happened in early 1970s. Fast forward 25 year later, Montgomery Gateway is on an episode of "Cops." The grandmother and other family members were arrested for selling drugs. They are probably living there.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If I made my livelihood by selling drugs the government would take away my home, car, and anything I own. Why should there be exceptions if you live in affordable housing? Besides, if you are selling drugs, your income is basically above the guidelines of affordable housing. You cannot control the gun violence if you do not control the drugs.
I am referring to JC affordable housing not public housing which has a rule of one strike and you are out.
Pebble, you do not like what I say, which is not the same as stretching the truth.

Do you have an example of the city allowing known drug dealers to roam free without arrest?

I do not know what the average income is for a drug dealer. I'm sure it is different depending on the drugs you sell and how much you sell. I doubt guys standing on the corner sell enough dime bags in a year to equal $40k. It just doesn't seem that feasible, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I doubt that drug dealers report the income they have from this illegal activity on their taxes. As such, they would certainly be below the median age needed though they are likely too low to receive a mortgage.

JC affordable housing *is* public housing. I listed the information above complete with numerous government links.

Lastly, I do not dislike what you say. I agree that I don't want to subsidize the housing of drug dealers with Section 8 dollars or anything else. However, you are being incredibly dishonest with your claims here.

You have provided no context nor the exact wording of the councilman. You have also been proven as a liar on numerous other threads.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 22:55
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I made my livelihood by selling drugs the government would take away my home, car, and anything I own. Why should there be exceptions if you live in affordable housing? Besides, if you are selling drugs, your income is basically above the guidelines of affordable housing. You cannot control the gun violence if you do not control the drugs.
I am referring to JC affordable housing not public housing which has a rule of one strike and you are out.
Pebble, you do not like what I say, which is not the same as stretching the truth.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I did learn from Councilman Rivera that he does not like the idea of removing people who sell drugs in affordable housing. He made that comment to me at last night council meeting. The city should have a policy of removing anyone that sells drugs and screening new residents who have a history of selling drugs.

Wow. We agree on something. There are too many hard working families in the city that need affordable housing that's currently being occupied by drug dealers. They should make it a strict condition in the lease. Be convicted of selling drugs in your subsidized unit? Lease termination. Dare I say I would even expand this to gun convictions, maybe even drug use in public housing. There are too many people that play by the rules and are left to starve on the streets.

You need to slow down a minute and take a step back...

1. Yvonne's claim is missing a massive amount of context.

2. Yvonne's claim is that a councilman would like to see drug dealers not removed from public housing. This is vastly different than "The city's policy is to not remove drug dealers from public housing."

3. Affordable housing is not necessarily public housing. It is mostly a depressed rate for private property which includes Section 8, Section 221, Section 202, etc. The quantifying factor is income. You can see a list of buildings here.

4. Renting in an affordable housing complex requires the same background checks that any renter goes through. It is up to the landlord whether they choose to accept the tenant.

5. There are plenty of measures in place for HUD regarding arrests that often result in loss of benefits.

Lastly, we're talking about Yvonne here. She has a history of stretching the truth in order to make a claim. Accept her claim at your own peril.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 21:55
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I did learn from Councilman Rivera that he does not like the idea of removing people who sell drugs in affordable housing. He made that comment to me at last night council meeting. The city should have a policy of removing anyone that sells drugs and screening new residents who have a history of selling drugs.

Wow. We agree on something. There are too many hard working families in the city that need affordable housing that's currently being occupied by drug dealers. They should make it a strict condition in the lease. Be convicted of selling drugs in your subsidized unit? Lease termination. Dare I say I would even expand this to gun convictions, maybe even drug use in public housing. There are too many people that play by the rules and are left to starve on the streets.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/14 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
did you learn 'what is being done by our city' officials last evening ???

Posted on: 2016/1/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

A shopkeeper was killed on Bergen Ave on a Saturday afternoon during the holiday shopping season and a baby shot on a Saturday afternoon near the post office on Bergen Ave.

Learn about what is happening and what is being done by our city.

Quote:

DanL wrote:
Community Public Safety Meeting at the Hank Gallo Community Center in Lincoln Park with Mayor Steve Fulop, Public Safety Director Jim Shea and Freeholder William"Bill" O'Dea (from Councilman Ramchal's fb page)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1679448335600820/

Posted on: 2016/1/11 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop to address recent Jersey City crime

Mayor Steve Fulop and Public-Safety Director James Shea are scheduled to appear at a Lincoln Park community center next week to discuss crime.

Residents have been on edge since a series of shootings in October and November resulted in seven homicides, five of them in one 12-days span. The murder of a Journal Square store owner on Dec. 19, as well as a shooting the day after Christmas that left an 18-month old baby injured, added to the anxiety.

read more here - http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ey_city_community_ce.html

Posted on: 2016/1/7 16:56

Community Public Safety Meeting on January 11th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Community Public Safety Meeting at the Hank Gallo Community Center in Lincoln Park with Mayor Steve Fulop, Public Safety Director Jim Shea and Freeholder William"Bill" O'Dea (from Councilman Ramchal's fb page)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1679448335600820/

Posted on: 2016/1/5 3:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017