Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop details 'challenges' of fighting crime in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

light12v wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8WQI ... 0-bHVfrSz4KI4iYA&index=10

VIEW THE UN-EDITED AWEN GROUP VIDEO OF MEETING & JUDGE FOR YOURSELF

HAPPY VIEWING

Thanks for the videos. I was most impressed with the cop. Godspeed, sir.

Me TOO, as he embodies EVERYTHING that We Could Hope for in our Police Officers !!!

...It would have been nice if Fulop would have actually introduced him by name [even if he had to read it from his uniform] Lieutenant Voutsas /West District Executive Officer

Posted on: 2016/1/16 23:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
While I disagree I do believe jersey city if it wants to will reopen an academy they don't need a pool , they already have a bldng and the only issue is the accreditation which has to do with the instructors which will take some time , now as for our Governor that's a different story, the way He has attacked police a, fire and teachers not only with the pension but with health care etc you would be hard pressed to find people to take the test these days, I personally don't know if I would want my kids to follow in my footsteps these days with the way the Governer has changed the pension and healthcare and the overall way the law enforcement community has been demonized by the powers that be currently , like I said earlier If things don't change I don't see myself encouraging my kids to follow in my footsteps, and that in and of itself speaks volumes because I always loved the job ( still do) the powers that be just make it that much harder

Posted on: 2016/1/15 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
I am not arguing anything... Facts are quite simple I know for a fact those Police academies have no swimming pools swimming is not a PTC requirement, the City does in fact have a building that they utilize for certain training, the room that they have is in fact larger then the rooms utilized at the old police academy on craven point road ( army bldng) I know for a fact they city closed the academy at the time to save money because the army was closing the building for construction and the City didn't want to lease/ purchase another bldng at that time. The city since then does utilize another bldng for training currently and would be suitable to fit the academy needs. That being said the fact remains and you could agree or disagree doesn't matter, the problem is the city did not reopen the academy in the necessary time and allowed the accreditation to expire, and now of/ when they decide to reopen the academy will have to go through the accreditation process again which is time consuming . Reopening our academy will in fact save time and money simply by you don't have to pay the other academies for the recruits and in fact you don't have to send out multiple instructors to two different academies since they are running at similar times and you in fact would also see a financial gain in long run because other municipalities such as sheriff's north Bergen Bayonne etc would send their recruits to JC rather than outside the county, again what was said at a community meeting and what is reality is not always the same

The fact that our pre-existing academy didn't have a pool was something specifically mentioned. This isn't something I dreamed up.

I do agree that the initial issue is that our pre-existing academy was shuttered. Had it not been closed, it may not have been a problem. Now that it is, the attorney general will not grant it the accreditation without meeting the new guidelines which is too cost prohibitive.

This cat is out of the bag now. The academy isn't coming back. So...

Our biggest issue now is the fact that the governor's policies of threatening pensions and retirement savings of employees has increased the number of retirees which is creating a lot of the shortfalls.

I don't see any of this getting fixed anytime soon. It'll just be more and more waiting around for new officers.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 22:46
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not arguing anything... Facts are quite simple I know for a fact those Police academies have no swimming pools swimming is not a PTC requirement, the City does in fact have a building that they utilize for certain training, the room that they have is in fact larger then the rooms utilized at the old police academy on craven point road ( army bldng) I know for a fact they city closed the academy at the time to save money because the army was closing the building for construction and the City didn't want to lease/ purchase another bldng at that time. The city since then does utilize another bldng for training currently and would be suitable to fit the academy needs. That being said the fact remains and you could agree or disagree doesn't matter, the problem is the city did not reopen the academy in the necessary time and allowed the accreditation to expire, and now of/ when they decide to reopen the academy will have to go through the accreditation process again which is time consuming . Reopening our academy will in fact save time and money simply by you don't have to pay the other academies for the recruits and in fact you don't have to send out multiple instructors to two different academies since they are running at similar times and you in fact would also see a financial gain in long run because other municipalities such as sheriff's north Bergen Bayonne etc would send their recruits to JC rather than outside the county, again what was said at a community meeting and what is reality is not always the same

Posted on: 2016/1/15 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
Attorney general guidelines are just that guidelines ( suggestions) not law there's no swimming pool at the Essex county police academy in cedar grove no pool in Passaic county police academy in Wayne no pool in union county police academy in Union and no pool in the state police academy in sea girt! And there's no ptc requirement for swimming in the State Of New Jersey! Jersey city already has a building that is large enough to have the Police Academy actually bigger rooms then the army building that they leased space from for the academy that closed so the truth is they can open the academy again and what the Captain was probably referring to is when a municipality chooses to close an academy (usually for short term economic reasons) they must reopen the academy within a certain amount of time in order to retain their accreditation otherwise if the time lapses they have to go thru the bureaucracy of getting re accredited that more then likely is what the Captain was referring to

Nope. He specifically said that we don't have a facility and that we cannot open a police academy because the state does not want it.

I'm not deaf and my questions were precise. The result was, "This isn't an option. We can't do it."

If you'd like to argue it, by-all-means, go to the city and ask them to do so...

Posted on: 2016/1/15 21:19
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Attorney general guidelines are just that guidelines ( suggestions) not law there's no swimming pool at the Essex county police academy in cedar grove no pool in Passaic county police academy in Wayne no pool in union county police academy in Union and no pool in the state police academy in sea girt! And there's no ptc requirement for swimming in the State Of New Jersey! Jersey city already has a building that is large enough to have the Police Academy actually bigger rooms then the army building that they leased space from for the academy that closed so the truth is they can open the academy again and what the Captain was probably referring to is when a municipality chooses to close an academy (usually for short term economic reasons) they must reopen the academy within a certain amount of time in order to retain their accreditation otherwise if the time lapses they have to go thru the bureaucracy of getting re accredited that more then likely is what the Captain was referring to

Posted on: 2016/1/15 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
Jersey City did have its own Academy at Caven Point up until a few years ago. They never had a pool and in the police academy there is no need. In reality all they need is a classroom and a gym and also can train outdoors , right now they utilize the Passaic County Police academy as well as the Union County police academy it would probably be more efficient to have our own as we have in the past rather then have to send instructors to other academies

What used to exist doesn't matter. The academy closed and the state's attorney general says that JC cannot open a new one unless it falls in line with the state's requirements. This information came directly from the West District Police Captain.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 20:49
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City did have its own Academy at Caven Point up until a few years ago. They never had a pool and in the police academy there is no need. In reality all they need is a classroom and a gym and also can train outdoors , right now they utilize the Passaic County Police academy as well as the Union County police academy it would probably be more efficient to have our own as we have in the past rather then have to send instructors to other academies

Posted on: 2016/1/15 20:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know dates have been announced but mayor Fulop mentioned at meeting that he will hold similar events at the other parts of the city.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

light12v wrote:

HAPPY VIEWING

Thanks for the videos. I was most impressed with the cop. Godspeed, sir.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

HAPPY VIEWING

Posted on: 2016/1/15 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Is it unusual for a city of this size NOT to have its own Police Academy? Where are the cadets trained? Would a good arrangement say with NYPD work and save money for actually hiring more officers?

We cannot have our own academy. This is due to New Jersey state law.

According to the Attorney General (I don't know which AG), police academies must conform to the state requirements and cadets must be made available for all cities that are requesting them.

Jersey City does not own property of the necessary size and scope needed. Basically, we don't have buildings with multiple olympic size swimming pools, extensive weight rooms and tracks and classroom sizes necessary.

Working with the NYPD is not an option. We cannot hire officers trained on the laws of New York.

If you would like to change the laws, your actions should be to petition the governor and the state's attorney general.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 16:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Is it unusual for a city of this size NOT to have its own Police Academy? Where are the cadets trained? Would a good arrangement say with NYPD work and save money for actually hiring more officers?

I think the training is done along side the HC Sheriff, I have seen them in the summer at Lincoln park.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/14 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The meeting lasted 90 minutes, this is a 28 minute version of the meeting.
https://youtu.be/As_k4Z1K9DU

Posted on: 2016/1/12 21:25

Fulop details 'challenges' of fighting crime in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop details 'challenges' of fighting crime in Jersey City

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
  January 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM

JERSEY CITY — In front of a crowd of about 100 yesterday, Mayor Steve Fulop and Public Safety Director James Shea outlined the "challenges" the city faces as police grapple with an uptick in gun violence at the end of 2015.

Fulop, making his first wide-ranging public comments about last year's violence, argued that the perception that crime is on the rise doesn't match statistics that show decreases in crime in most major areas, both citywide and in the city's busy west police district.

"Sometimes the way people feel are more challenging to correct than what is actually happening," Fulop said.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... fighting_crime_in_je.html

Posted on: 2016/1/12 18:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017