Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Thinking about renting on Monitor Street Bergen / Lafayette
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have 2 apartment for rent in Bergen Lafayette

$1,500.00 for each.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/88- ... y-NJ-07304/38916711_zpid/

The apartment below comes furnished.

http://www.trulia.com/rental/32240330 ... St-2-Jersey-City-NJ-07304

Posted on: 2016/9/7 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this post also could apply to this thread -

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=399347

Quote:

andrewjake wrote:
Wow thanks for a relatively level headed evaluation of the neighborhood.

I currently live in a small condo in Paulus Hook but desperately need more space and while I stand to make a tidy profit on my place I've pretty much been priced out of the neighborhood unless I want to plow every penny I have back into a new place and even then...

I went over to the corner of Communipaw and Pine to the Lafayette Corner Store to try to get a better idea, they were very nice and answered all my questions.

I did notice that the building across the street was under construction and it looked like some sort of business was going in on the ground level. I actually sent a request to the city to get the permits so I can try to figure out what is going in there, anybody have any idea?? I think the address is 321 Communipaw Avenue right on the corner of Pine Street??

Other than that I know it's not going to be as polished as PH but it's easy to get excited about the housing stock, it's very close to the Light Rail and the people seem nice enough even if it is a little desolate.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 2:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/17 20:21
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Have to say I'm rooting for the former.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Local scuttlebutt is that an Italian deli/provision type store and/or a kids crafting/daycare type spot.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 23:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/17 20:21
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wow thanks for a relatively level headed evaluation of the neighborhood.

I currently live in a small condo in Paulus Hook but desperately need more space and while I stand to make a tidy profit on my place I've pretty much been priced out of the neighborhood unless I want to plow every penny I have back into a new place and even then...

I went over to the corner of Communipaw and Pine to the Lafayette Corner Store to try to get a better idea, they were very nice and answered all my questions.

I did notice that the building across the street was under construction and it looked like some sort of business was going in on the ground level. I actually sent a request to the city to get the permits so I can try to figure out what is going in there, anybody have any idea?? I think the address is 321 Communipaw Avenue right on the corner of Pine Street??

Other than that I know it's not going to be as polished as PH but it's easy to get excited about the housing stock, it's very close to the Light Rail and the people seem nice enough even if it is a little desolate.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
nemobeatz wrote: I agree with almost everyone here, it all comes back to your level of comfort in a transitional neighborhood. Here's a list of pros and cons just for the Lafayette section, since that's the area you're thinking of moving to. YMMV. Pros: More affordable than DTJC Excellent housing stock Short commute to lower Manhattan (<45 min on avg during rush hour) Proximity to LSP Great sense of community Relatively quiet/low crime Slowly getting more amenities (Grind Coffee, Pac Flea, Lafayette Corner Store, Chiko's Restaurant, Berry Lane Park, New Berry Lane Park Restaurant [coming soon], The Ruins antique shop, Seafood Kitchen, etc.) Easy to park (varies block to block) Walkable $6 uber from Grove St. Citibike Ample new development underway Cons: Empty lots, ESP near Johnston Serious trash issues Nowhere near number of amenities as DTJC (CAN SOMEONE OPEN A DRY CLEANERS PLEASE?!?) No local bar, since Nu Bar closed - though that might be changing soon Not as safe as DTJC Am I missing anything? Feel free to chime in.
Yeah you missing it da hood and whitey from Ohio will get jacked for their iPhone 6 and Canada Goose riding the Light Rail thru Richard Street. Holla !

Posted on: 2016/1/19 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
I drove through the area today. I really don't want to leave Jersey City. All my friends are here and I love it here. I'll continue to keep this neighborhood on my list as well as the heights. I'm also considering staying put in my current dwelling downtown as the more I look around, the more I realize I'm getting a great deal where I've been. I might need to just put up with an outdated and small apartment to keep the low rent. They really have not raised the rent me much in the last six years. I'm living downtown for very cheap.

Don't forget that fact that a LOT of downtown apts are rent controlled. They aren't advertised as such, but legally the landlords can only raise the rent a certain %. (more if major improvements were made.) But many landlords raise rents illegally high because tenants - particularly those new to town - are unaware of this. If you ever question the amount raised you can call Tenant Landlord at City Hall and ask them what the % is for the year and verify that your building is included. I think it's buildings with 5+ units over 30 years old, but I could be slightly off.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with almost everyone here, it all comes back to your level of comfort in a transitional neighborhood. Here's a list of pros and cons just for the Lafayette section, since that's the area you're thinking of moving to. YMMV. Pros: More affordable than DTJC Excellent housing stock Short commute to lower Manhattan (<45 min on avg during rush hour) Proximity to LSP Great sense of community Relatively quiet/low crime Slowly getting more amenities (Grind Coffee, Pac Flea, Lafayette Corner Store, Chiko's Restaurant, Berry Lane Park, New Berry Lane Park Restaurant [coming soon], The Ruins antique shop, Seafood Kitchen, etc.) Easy to park (varies block to block) Walkable $6 uber from Grove St. Citibike Ample new development underway Cons: Empty lots, ESP near Johnston Serious trash issues Nowhere near number of amenities as DTJC (CAN SOMEONE OPEN A DRY CLEANERS PLEASE?!?) No local bar, since Nu Bar closed - though that might be changing soon Not as safe as DTJC Am I missing anything? Feel free to chime in.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I was gonna stay out of this as I have mixed feelings, though not personally.

I've lived on Monitor near Communipaw for 5 years. I live in the Foundry and there are 20 apartments whose entrance is on Monitor. Personally, I find the area near ideal. But it is not for everyone.

The immediate surrounding area can be on the sketchy side at night and there is undoubtedly more crime than downtown. I don't venture out that much at night alone and I personally never had a problem. But I hear stories. The amenities are poor, but I don't care much about that. Parking is so-so. I gave up my car because I don't need it, but I never had a real problem with parking when I did have it. If worse comes to worse, your daughters can park in the Light Rail lot.

I especially like the proximity to LSP where I go often. I like the peace and quiet. And housing prices are a steal compared to downtown.

Anyone wanting to live here should visit here multiple times during the day and night. I made the mistake of not doing that when I rented an apartment on Woodward, which is 3 blocks west of Pacific. It is a great area during the day but crime-ridden at night. I would never live just west of Pacific again for that reason. But it's a different world just a short distance away on Monitor.

I agree with most of the previous comments. Again, different strokes and it really depends on one's comfort level.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kalen wrote:
I drove through the area today. I really don't want to leave Jersey City. All my friends are here and I love it here. I'll continue to keep this neighborhood on my list as well as the heights. I'm also considering staying put in my current dwelling downtown as the more I look around, the more I realize I'm getting a great deal where I've been. I might need to just put up with an outdated and small apartment to keep the low rent. They really have not raised the rent me much in the last six years. I'm living downtown for very cheap.
if the rent is really low, i'd stay put and save up some money so that when you do move, you have plenty of options..maybe even buy a place

Posted on: 2016/1/15 22:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/15 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And the Park and Ride lot is well patrolled by security. And if you have friends over on the weekends the lot is free all day Saturday and Sunday.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I forgot the park and ride! Best deal in JC. It's too far to be an option for me, but it's a great deal for those who live nearby.

It really is a steal. I doubt you could find a parking spot in any urban city in the US where the monthly cost is that low. I have recommended this Park & Ride to many people, particularly people who rarely use their cars. Not having to remember to move a car, or to have to worry about it getting broken into because it sits without moving for days on end, is priceless.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I forgot the park and ride! Best deal in JC. It's too far to be an option for me, but it's a great deal for those who live nearby.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Thanks for this thread -- keep the opinions/comments coming (the constructive ones, anyway). My daughters -- one recent college graduate, one graduating in May -- are going to be looking for a 2br to share in Jersey City and this general area is one on our radar, along with the Heights. The girls are suburban-raised, but since I moved here a few years ago, they've fallen in love with the City. But since they're going to be on their own (maybe with a little startup help from mom, I admit) they're priced out of downtown.

Whenever I hit Pacific Flea and come through that neighborhood, I get a good vibe.

How is the parking situation in BL? Bananas like Downtowna nd in the Heights? Both of my girlies have cars, even though I gave mine up. (You can take a person out of the 'burbs, but you can't take the 'burbs out of a person)

Pretty incredible this thread has remained sensible given the strong opinions of some people, some who have never lived in it, or may never stepped foot there.

About parking, I never had a hard time finding a spot, but I did get tired of the alternate side street cleaning stuff, so I switched to paying for a spot at the park and ride. It was SO CHEAP ($57.50) that it made more sense to pay for parking and not have to worry about moving the car, or what to do with it when out of town for more than a few days.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Thanks for this thread -- keep the opinions/comments coming (the constructive ones, anyway). My daughters -- one recent college graduate, one graduating in May -- are going to be looking for a 2br to share in Jersey City and this general area is one on our radar, along with the Heights. The girls are suburban-raised, but since I moved here a few years ago, they've fallen in love with the City. But since they're going to be on their own (maybe with a little startup help from mom, I admit) they're priced out of downtown.

Whenever I hit Pacific Flea and come through that neighborhood, I get a good vibe.

How is the parking situation in BL? Bananas like Downtowna nd in the Heights? Both of my girlies have cars, even though I gave mine up. (You can take a person out of the 'burbs, but you can't take the 'burbs out of a person)

Pacific Flea is a lot of fun and there are a lot of people in the area that go to it. However, the area isn?t just made up of those people.

Lafayette is still quite diverse and in the process of gentrification. I don?t believe it to be a dangerous section of the city, but that doesn?t mean there shouldn?t be a level of caution.

I don?t believe there to be a parking issue in Lafayette such as there is in DTJC or The Heights. Spots can still be found, but this is also a block to block thing.

Quote:

Og_jerseycity wrote:
The area is much better than when I was growing up but I still have my guard up. A lot of people are selling it as if it's almost like downtown. It is not. Walk around, drive around at different hours because one block to another block you will see a huge difference.
The community groups in the neighbhorhood fought for many years to get to where it is now and those are the people that hold the area together. It will be years before it is remotely close to having the same feel as downtown jc. The buses to NYC are jam packed to get to downtown in the morning, unless you live very close to the light rail and can take that. I have never walked liberty state park bridge after dark but that's just me. I have never had a problem but I have lived knowing my reality. Dark streets, lacking stores, restaurants etc is what BL still is.

In fairness, I think your opinion shows the varying levels of comfort that some people have with different areas.

I also think it is unfair to have Bergen-Lafayette be lumped together as a monolith. All of Downtown JC isn?t the same. Paulus Hook is different than Newport and different from Hamilton Park. Bergen-Lafayette is the same.

Areas around Arlington Park are getting better, but it is still exceptionally rough. The Garfield Light Rail Station is not at the same level as the Liberty State Park Light Rail stop.

I agree completely on the statement of walking the area at different times and different days to get a feel. It isn?t the easiest in the winter as a lot of people do hole up, but it is better to do a little homework than none. While I think my area, which isn?t in Lafayette, is a fantastic place to live, I understand that not everyone has the same levels of comfort and I?ve always endorsed this.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 15:17
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on Suydam for about 5 years. I ended up moving out because of the new building that was being built on our lovely quiet 1 block dead end street. Parking was tough for us because of the Foundry building and people not wanting to pay for parking and their guests, with the new building adding to the mix I dont think I would have ever found parking. We decided to move. We were not happy about leaving our neighborhood. I absolutely LOVED the area. It was always safe. Its a very working class close community. You do not have the upptiness of downtown. I reccomend this neighborhood to anyone who is looking to move into JC!

Posted on: 2016/1/15 15:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/17 20:34
From bergen lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
The area is much better than when I was growing up but I still have my guard up. A lot of people are selling it as if it's almost like downtown. It is not. Walk around, drive around at different hours because one block to another block you will see a huge difference.
The community groups in the neighbhorhood fought for many years to get to where it is now and those are the people that hold the area together. It will be years before it is remotely close to having the same feel as downtown jc. The buses to NYC are jam packed to get to downtown in the morning, unless you live very close to the light rail and can take that. I have never walked liberty state park bridge after dark but that's just me. I have never had a problem but I have lived knowing my reality. Dark streets, lacking stores, restaurants etc is what BL still is.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 14:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/15 4:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a lot more to add to what the others have said (and I recognize some as my neighbors). We've been here six years and have been very happy. The neighbors are nice, people are friendly, and helpful. I work in the city and have felt fine walking home from the light rail to Pacific after 10 pm, though if I feel indulgent I'll take a cab from Grove ($7). One thing that I like is that I know more people here than I ever did when I lived downtown, even though I'd run into people I recognized. There's a sense of community here and less transience. It is true that we lack the sorts of amenities that other neighborhoods have, but I like the people and the vibe and it's easy enough to get elsewhere in the city or have something delivered if you're not a driver.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 4:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the feedback all! This has been helpful.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
What are typical rents for a 1bd ?

Are other cross streets like pine and whiton or lafayette similarly safe ?

Tricky question... like with other areas that haven't yet gentrified, the answer is pretty much "block by block". You can take a short cross street and its conditions, looks and feel can vary tremendously from one end to the other. Personally, I liked the area closest to The Foundry the best. A lot of those blocks have seen redevelopment (people fixing up old properties, or renovating completely) but it really is a bit of a haphazard approach. Some homeowners take pride in their homes and put a lot of effort into cleaning their streets and properties, while others not so much. You really have to go out there and walk around. There are some really interesting properties in the area. Some real steals also!!

The one thing that really irked me in many of those blocks is that many people walk their dogs and do not pick up after them. I remember a few blocks were particularly bad; veritable shit minefields.

I would also add that, as a dog owner, I used to walk around the neighborhood a lot and got to meet and talk to a lot of people, and it was always pleasant. Never had a bad experience. In fact, that was one of my favorite things: met a lot of good, decent people just walking around. In the Summer time, the basketball courts (on Johnson St) become a de facto community center area and it was always fun to stop by and talk to others.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
What are typical rents for a 1bd ?

Are other cross streets like pine and whiton or lafayette similarly safe ?

Posted on: 2016/1/13 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I love the neighborhood. Bought in Lafayette 7-8 years ago and things have only gotten better since then. There's a lot of new development slated for this year, so I look forward to even more progress.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
The NuBar space will fail until the owner of the property sells it, the guy is toxic.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 6:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There was a high profile shooting half a block away from the Johnston/Monitor corner last fall, where a young kid was shot in the head walking west from the Light Rail station. As others have said Communipaw is where the gentrification (if I dare to use the word) is happening at the retail level. The Lafayette Corner Store is a welcome addition, replacing a bodega. Lots of new food choices for the area-soups, hot entrees, and some fresh fruit and vegetables are on offer.

Grind coffee is truly a welcome addition and has quickly become a daytime hangout. We can hope that eventually someone will grab the NuBar space and have it rise again from the many funeral pyres that have taken place there . . .

There is the building coming on board this year at the end of Suydam, which will have some onsite parking and easy access to the LSP parking lot-and I'm saying that because there is a new apartment building in the works for Maple/Monitor, which will only add to the parking stress (as will people moving into the new Suydam building who won't want to pay either).

Best advice-take a walk/drive around the neighborhood at a variety of hours to check your comfort level.

Posted on: 2016/1/12 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I generally point people to the crime maps on Trulia - while not totally accurate - they give a good idea of relative safety. Monitor Street is green.

http://www.trulia.com/homes/New_Jerse ... r-St-Jersey-City-NJ-07304

Posted on: 2016/1/12 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If walking to DTJC, you would be best served by using the Jersey Avenue pedestrian bridge: shorter, faster and you avoid a good portion of the the traffic traveling on Pacific and Grand.

The light rail is hate/love thing for most people. It is undeniable that it has had a great effect on the areas close to stations. Personally, I never used it much, as I found it annoying that it would take so long to get places, and it would still leave you with a long walk to complete your trip (unless you are going to Exchange Place, or Newport Mall, in which case you are right there). At rush hour, those trains can get pretty crazy crowded. Teenagers sometimes get rowdy (particularly when a bunch get on at Newport) but it is a nice commute overall (little lurching, unless some ass wipe runs a red light, or someone walks across the tracks as a train is approaching.

Monitor itself is pretty quiet. You have the Foundry building at the corner with Communipaw. There are very few amenities in the area: Grind coffee shop just opened, the Pacific Flea Market should be back in the Spring (or is it later?) and there are a few bodegas and corner stores with a smattering of small eateries.

As for crime, every now and then you hear of a car break in (and a few years ago I met someone whose car was stolen while it was parked overnight on Monitor) but it is very quiet and safe. There was a murder a few blocks West several years ago (the perp was recently convicted) and there was a stabbing homicide at the LSP light rail station many years ago perpetrated by a mentally unstable person. Honestly, the area IS safe. I lived there for 9 years and really enjoyed it. You have LSP right there, and if you run and/or bike, it is the best to do either in all of JC. Really nice.

Posted on: 2016/1/12 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, it's a pretty quiet neighborhood, and having access to LSP would be nice...but Google Maps says it's a 25 minute walk to Grove Street PATH. I'm a walker, too, but that's a pretty good hike to go for dinner. I avoid the light rail, but I guess you could do that.

Re-reading your posting, it looks like you've thought all that through. So, good luck!

Posted on: 2016/1/12 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Its pretty safe, I was interested in buying a house there a few years ago, but found out Monitor specifically is in a flood zone so decided not to. It is not as populated as downtown so after rush hour it gets pretty deserted which I don't mind. The older I get the more I appreciate quiet.

I also love the fact its not a huge walk to the Grove station. Best of luck!

Posted on: 2016/1/12 11:40

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017