Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Homeless man critical after Jersey City hit-and-run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
is this the guy probably in his 60s who is always drinking and talking to himself on CC Blvd?

The insurance company will take this into consideration along with site of impact. He could get hit with a citation for jay walking as well.

That somehow made the driver leave the scene of the crash?

Does the state of New Jersey even allow you to operate a vehicle?

Ignore Heights... when he is not spewing out xenophobic nonsense, he is shaking in his boots at the thought of riding his bicycle down a street where a Hispanic "social club" is located. He is a sad excuse for a human being.

Just for the record it was not a Puerto Rican social club, and I was not shaking in my boots. Those cars have been parking there for many years. Sometimes you have to leave things the way they are out of respect. Sort of like a pseudo neighborhood grandfather law.

You are so full of it. If I had the time to search for your post, I would do so and everyone here could read it and reach their own conclusions. Going off memory, you plainly stated that you refused to ride your bicycle down a certain street so you wouldn't go in front of the social club in question as you were afraid of what they could say or do to you. I can't imagine a sadder life than that of an out of touch old man living in an urban city afraid of anyone and everyone who has an accent, or skin darker than milk, and whose outlook of life and people is based on xenophobic and racist ideas. You are a sad, sorry excuse for a human being.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
there are several social clubs downtown. I can think of one PR and one Italian one that I pass on occasion, and I have a feeling I've seen at least one other PR one but I can't pinpoint right now when or where I saw it. Oh and then there's the Polish club too, though that's a more formal iteration of the same idea.
They're often great assets in the community, especially as groups migrate and try to preserve some of their culture or just feel "at home" with the food, music, and language of their "motherland".

Posted on: 2016/1/15 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
is this the guy probably in his 60s who is always drinking and talking to himself on CC Blvd?

The insurance company will take this into consideration along with site of impact. He could get hit with a citation for jay walking as well.

Ignore Heights... when he is not spewing out xenophobic nonsense, he is shaking in his boots at the thought of riding his bicycle down a street where a Hispanic "social club" is located. He is a sad excuse for a human being.

Just for the record it was not a Puerto Rican social club, and I was not shaking in my boots. Those cars have been parking there for many years. Sometimes you have to leave things the way they are out of respect. Sort of like a pseudo neighborhood grandfather law.

Posted on: 2016/1/15 3:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The term "social club" is a bit of a stretch. The one in DTJC is more like someone's garage outfitted with PR flags and a loud jukebox. But, I think they are so termed because there was some sort of loophole that allows them to consume alcohol and play music without inviting scrutiny from the fuzz. Not entirely sure, but something along those lines.

As a Puerto Rican myself, I am well versed on the partying ways and tendencies of my fellow islanders. :o

But, in all seriousness, a social club it's just a place where people of similar backgrounds or interest come together to hang out, reminisce, kvetch, etc. If you think about it, it is no different than a VFW. In the case of a Puerto Rican Social Club, you are talking about a bunch of Puerto Ricans (some born down there, but most are actually just tangentially related to the island, usually 2nd or 3rd generation) hanging out, listening to loud music, dancing and having a good time. The one DTJC is a bit of a scene, although I haven't seen any activity there for at least year. Perhaps someone can chime in with more information.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

What is a Hispanic social club? A group of people that get together and bond over their race?

You sound like you have a problem with that

I've never heard about it before but it sounds a bit bizarre. Though I suppose they do have things like Italian clubs like someone pointed out. The concept is just foreign to me.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
So can anyone confirm that this is Tony? And if so, what his current status is?

Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
A driver is responsible for everything that happens in front of them. If it were raining or snowing they could use the excuse of limited visibility. The driver will face major liability claims even if he escapes major criminal charges.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

What is a Hispanic social club? A group of people that get together and bond over their race?

You sound like you have a problem with that

Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

What is the Dante Alighieri Society? A group of people that discuss race, or is it poetry they're discussing?

Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/13 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/13 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/13 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:

Posted on: 2016/1/13 1:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/12 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
I hope it is not who I think it is but the wine bottle leads me to think it is.

A homeless man was critically injured on Sunday when he was involved in a hit-and-run accident while pushing a shopping cart of his belongings across the street, officials said.

Derek Walker, 29, of Maryland, has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident but could face additional charges, depending on the fate of the victim.

At about 3:45 a.m., the 65-year-old man was crossing the street on Columbus Drive when he was struck by Walker's purple Hyundai Sonata, according to a police report.

Witnesses at the scene told police the victim hit the driver's windshield and was carried on the front of the car "a few car lengths" before rolling off onto the street, the report states.

The witness told police the driver exited his vehicle in the middle of the intersection near Barrow Street, looked back for about 20 seconds and then left the scene, the report states.

At 4:06 a.m., police were informed that Walker had called police to report that he hit some type of object or person on Columbus Drive and was currently on the New Jersey Turnpike, according to the report.

After authorities told Walker to return to the scene, he arrived at 4:16 a.m. His car had a "spider webbing" crack on the windshield and a dent on the hood and passenger side door, police said.

The vehicle was impounded and Walker was arrested for numerous traffic offenses and open warrants, the report states.

At the scene, police recovered the victim's belonging -- a sleeping bag, blanket, shoes and bottle of wine -- and took measurements from the accident. The report states there was a pool of blood left on the street.

The victim's "life-threatening injures" included bilateral femur fractures, a head injury and collapsed lung, the report states.

Walker appeared in Central Judicial Procession court yesterday and was charged with leaving the scene of an accident with serious bodily injury.

During the hearing, it was stated that the victim not in the cross walk, was wearing dark clothing and it was raining at the time of the accident.

Court officials called the accident "sad" as Walker's family sat in the courtroom.

Walker has no prior arrests, but had two warrants out of Jersey City Municipal Court for motor vehicle violations. The first warrant was $500 and the second was $7,000 with a 10 percent cash option.

Judge Margaret Marley set bail for the accident at $5,000 with a 10 percent cash option, but was concerned the charge could possibly be upgraded to death by auto if the victim dies.

He was issued summonses for careless driving, leaving the scene of an accident with serious injuries, leaving the scene of an accident, and reckless driving.

The man remains in critical condition at Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health, a hospital spokesman said.

so $500 bucks? The judge doesn't think this POS wont skip out on this one as well?

Poor guy. 15+ years spending freezing winters in DTJC and a hit and run gets him. That's CC BLVD for ya.

Posted on: 2016/1/12 21:33

Homeless man critical after Jersey City hit-and-run
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
I hope it is not who I think it is but the wine bottle leads me to think it is.

A homeless man was critically injured on Sunday when he was involved in a hit-and-run accident while pushing a shopping cart of his belongings across the street, officials said.

Derek Walker, 29, of Maryland, has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident but could face additional charges, depending on the fate of the victim.

At about 3:45 a.m., the 65-year-old man was crossing the street on Columbus Drive when he was struck by Walker's purple Hyundai Sonata, according to a police report.

Witnesses at the scene told police the victim hit the driver's windshield and was carried on the front of the car "a few car lengths" before rolling off onto the street, the report states.

The witness told police the driver exited his vehicle in the middle of the intersection near Barrow Street, looked back for about 20 seconds and then left the scene, the report states.

At 4:06 a.m., police were informed that Walker had called police to report that he hit some type of object or person on Columbus Drive and was currently on the New Jersey Turnpike, according to the report.

After authorities told Walker to return to the scene, he arrived at 4:16 a.m. His car had a "spider webbing" crack on the windshield and a dent on the hood and passenger side door, police said.

The vehicle was impounded and Walker was arrested for numerous traffic offenses and open warrants, the report states.

At the scene, police recovered the victim's belonging -- a sleeping bag, blanket, shoes and bottle of wine -- and took measurements from the accident. The report states there was a pool of blood left on the street.

The victim's "life-threatening injures" included bilateral femur fractures, a head injury and collapsed lung, the report states.

Walker appeared in Central Judicial Procession court yesterday and was charged with leaving the scene of an accident with serious bodily injury.

During the hearing, it was stated that the victim not in the cross walk, was wearing dark clothing and it was raining at the time of the accident.

Court officials called the accident "sad" as Walker's family sat in the courtroom.

Walker has no prior arrests, but had two warrants out of Jersey City Municipal Court for motor vehicle violations. The first warrant was $500 and the second was $7,000 with a 10 percent cash option.

Judge Margaret Marley set bail for the accident at $5,000 with a 10 percent cash option, but was concerned the charge could possibly be upgraded to death by auto if the victim dies.

He was issued summonses for careless driving, leaving the scene of an accident with serious injuries, leaving the scene of an accident, and reckless driving.

The man remains in critical condition at Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health, a hospital spokesman said.

Posted on: 2016/1/12 20:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017