Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Has Raval Closed Down?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The restaurant is open but indeed appears to be in "distress" mode and is perhaps undergoing a change in management/ownership (unverified speculation). I can confirm they are without a chef de cuisine and are offering a very limited selection of tapas, all of which were genuinely awful.

Fingers crossed, we shall see....

Posted on: 2016/1/2 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:
http://blacktieandflipflops.com/2015/12/26/k-a-g/

Also, confirmed by chef David Viana on his Facebook page.[/quote

re: The Kitchen closing.
Every time I went, there was a wait to get in. How could a (seemingly) consistently crowded place be forced to close?
sort of reminds me of box...it was successful and then whuff - it's gone

I think you are confusing Box for Ox. Box was a lackluster Asian fusion restaurant in a town saturated with them. Their recent closing was due to two sides of the same family joining forces behind a new, revamped version of More. On the other hand, Ox was a GREAT restaurant that imploded due to a disagreement between the owners/partners.
yes, i was thinking of ox

I thought Ox imploded because the buildings department made them jump through a year full of increasingly expensive hoops before they could open.

keep in mind that the space was always a restaurant, yet suddenly Ox was required to rebuild entirely - and repeatedly - to "bring it to code."

translation: that brown envelope you slipped us wasn't fat enough.

they never had a chance.

Definitely not the case. The partners had a difference of opinion on where to take the restaurant. The chef (also a partner) has a serious difference with the other owners/partners and they simply closed down. There is a thread about it and, if memory serves me right, someone (perhaps her) chimed in here about the situation.

From what I've heard, it's a little from column A, a little from column B.

The irony is that the former chef de cuisine of Raval was the former chef of Ox

I fail to see the irony in your statement. Are you under the mistaken impression that Raval has closed? Or, what exactly is ironic about the former chef of Ox now being the chef de cuisine at Raval?

That the reason Ox closed was because the chef had a difference of opinion, and now it seems the same chef is having the same issue with the executive chef/owners of Raval. I may have misunderstood the situation.

Since Raval is only closed for renovations, it appears you have indeed misunderstood the situation, along with the meaning of irony.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 20:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

Every time I went, there was a wait to get in. How could a (seemingly) consistently crowded place be forced to close?

I think you are confusing Box for Ox. Box was a lackluster Asian fusion restaurant in a town saturated with them. Their recent closing was due to two sides of the same family joining forces behind a new, revamped version of More. On the other hand, Ox was a GREAT restaurant that imploded due to a disagreement between the owners/partners.

I thought Ox imploded because the buildings department made them jump through a year full of increasingly expensive hoops before they could open.

keep in mind that the space was always a restaurant, yet suddenly Ox was required to rebuild entirely - and repeatedly - to "bring it to code."

they never had a chance.

Definitely not the case. The partners had a difference of opinion on where to take the restaurant. The chef (also a partner) has a serious difference with the other owners/partners and they simply closed down. There is a thread about it and, if memory serves me right, someone (perhaps her) chimed in here about the situation.

I fail to see the irony in your statement. Are you under the mistaken impression that Raval has closed? Or, what exactly is ironic about the former chef of Ox now being the chef de cuisine at Raval?

That the reason Ox closed was because the chef had a difference of opinion, and now it seems the same chef is having the same issue with the executive chef/owners of Raval. I may have misunderstood the situation.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

they never had a chance.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StLRoma wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

they never had a chance.

maybe the chef de cuisine does not play well with others?

Posted on: 2015/12/31 17:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

they never had a chance.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

they never had a chance.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

they never had a chance.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

they never had a chance.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/27 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/27 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Also, confirmed by chef David Viana on his Facebook page.

I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess: I bet that, as with Thirty Acres, their fate was precipitated by the recent acquisition of a liquor license. My last visit was disappointing for two reasons: 1) not being able to bring a really nice bottle of wine to enjoy, and 2) their wine/beer offerings were limited and poor.

I tried a beer that was so so ($7 or $8 for a 12oz bottle!?) and a glass of wine that was crap, at best. I don't mind paying good money for good alcohol, but their stuff was not good. If you are going to get a liquor license, make sure you have good stuff to offer to your customers.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/27 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Spoke with the bartenders about the changes at Raval when I was there on 12/19. Here's the scoop. They will be closed 12/20 through 12/30 and will reopen for New Year's Eve. The mosaic booths in the front were awkward and not comfortable. So they are ripping them out and replacing them with high-top tables similar to the ones back by the bar. They are making some tweaks to the menu as well. They are also streamlining some of their internal processes. For example, servers will submit all orders through the bar including orders for low-top tables (i.e., non-bar patrons). Looking forward to having them reopen on 12/31.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/27 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We saw the sign in the window regarding renovations tonight, we thought they must be adjusting for whatever design issues didn't work since opening.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 7:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
That sucks! :/

Posted on: 2015/12/27 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Also, confirmed by chef David Viana on his Facebook page.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Ohhh.....was actually planning to go tomorrow.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 1:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Kitchen At Grove is closed for a month for an extended holiday vacation. They'll be back in February.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Kitchen at Grove is DONE????

Posted on: 2015/12/27 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The Kitchen at Grove Station is done.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Sign on the door indicates they are renovating, and will be open again on New Year's.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
We walked by the other night and thought it was odd that it was closed, although didn't notice brown paper in the windows. Hmm.

I have to say the food was very, very good but I found the design of the place very awkward, particularly the front part (as soon as you walk in), as well as the entire lower level/basement, which felt exactly like a basement and not a place where I'd want to drop $150 for a meal.

Maybe they have realized this, and are making some design changes, in which case I think that's a good thing for sure.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 22:33

Has Raval Closed Down?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
There's probably already a thread on this, but I didn't find it. But the last few times I walked past Raval it's been closed and there's brown paper covering the windows. What's the deal?

Posted on: 2015/12/26 22:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017