Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: BURGER EATERY on 1st & Erie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Pro tip:
Order their special sauce on the side, and use it to dip your fries.

Also, today's fries are crispier and hotter and deliciouser. I haven't tried the truffle fries, just the plain. Dipped in the burger sauce that's not on my burger.

Heaven.

Posted on: 2016/1/2 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I haven't been there yet.
My question as I try to get a handle on what to expect:

What makes this place different/better/worse than Left Bank? (Other than they have smash burgers).

If your goal is a rare burger with sloppy, likely delicious toppings and a beer with the boys with the game on in the background you would go to Left Bank.

If your goal is to quickly sate your burger fix with your SO and not feel terrible about yourself while or after eating, you would go to Burger Eatery.

seconded. the eatery is more grab-n-go, though as some have mentioned, the "go" might take a short while.

I do find it funny that folks are complaining about the wait time for their hamburger, before heading across the street to wait in a 30-minute line for an ice cream cone.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

What makes this place different/better/worse than Left Bank? (Other than they have smash burgers).

If your goal is a rare burger with sloppy, likely delicious toppings and a beer with the boys with the game on in the background you would go to Left Bank.

If your goal is to quickly sate your burger fix with your SO and not feel terrible about yourself while or after eating, you would go to Burger Eatery.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/29 14:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/6 1:55
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
Good burger, small and probably overpriced but had a nice taste.

I ordered a double and a single would have been along White Castle small me thinks.

Very slow to prepare and the order of fries were soggy and tiny for the price.

Unless horrible I always give a place a 2nd try.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shimano wrote:
As I read most of the comments in here and one person saying they making their own comments,

da fuq?

Quote:
We should be happy someone put their time and money to feed us.

nah, i'll be happy that a good place to eat is around, if it turns out to be good. they're not out to spend their money, they're out to make money. it has nothing to do with altruism.

Quote:

Also Talde is GREAT.

so we've got double shills in here now?

honestly, this is just stupid.

Dear owner(s) of Burger, stop this crap. This kind of garbage makes me less likely to want to go to your place. Everyone on here sees what you're doing, and we think less of you for it.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 1:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/26 15:27
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Well, yesterday I had a Burger from Burger Eatery on 1st & Erie St, and it was great. It was pretty packed their yesterday, and I waited like everyone else. This is a new burger place and so far they doing great, I like the whole concept and home feeling.

As I read most of the comments in here and one person saying they making their own comments, I found this through Instagram like most people about too.

Why do new places always get so much hate. We should be happy someone put their time and money to feed us.
Also Talde is GREAT.

I will be back in a next week there !!!

Posted on: 2015/12/25 23:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/9 18:46
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Just went to the new place last night, and really enjoyed it.

I ordered the Eerie St, which I think everyone who ordered while I was there got. Personally liked it a lot. I will say the topping overpowered the rest of the burger, but I actually liked the thinner patty. I think next time I'll try the classic, just to get the regular flavor.

Had the truffle fries, which were a good size and crisp. My only complaint was that I wish they toned down the salt. Had with the black strap molasses bbq sauce, which I would put on any and everything.

My BF had the portabello cap sandwhich, another item I would gladly get again.

The staff was super friendly, so hoping things work out for them. It was only day 2, but would go back in a week or two to try again for sure. I'm glad this place is here, because it's a really good option I have in the area for quick takeout that isn't just Two Boots.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 16:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah.... those two "reviews" are painful to look at; they remind me of the time my well-meaning mother wrote a raving review of my band's EP, of which I couldn't delete fast enough. I'm certain that the owner wouldn't be so directly obtuse; it's more likely an anxious relative/friend.

Anyway, back to reality.

I had a positive experience there yesterday, which will bring me back again. I opted for a double cheeseburger with Gruyere, and a plain order of fries. The burger was still pinkish in the middle (yay!) and was well-seasoned. I chose Gruyere in the off-chance that the patty was under-seasoned (Gruyere having a slightly saltier taste), and was pleased with how everything worked together. The Martin's roll held up to the burger's juices very effectively, and I like potato rolls, so bonus points there.

The fries were cooked to order, and they asked if I wanted them salted or not, which was much appreciated. They're not hand-cut, but are of a quality vendor, thicker than a julienne/shoestring... somewhere between a baton and batonnet. They were crispy and well-cooked.

The staff was eager and hard-working. I only waited a few minutes for the food.

Overall, is it the greatest burger around? No. Is it a very good burger? Yes. Is it better than Five Guys? Yes. Will I be back? Sure, absolutely. They're using quality products, they're trying hard, and I like hamburgers.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Had my first burger eatery burger last night, and it won't be my last.

I kept it simple: single patty cheeseburger with lettuce-tomato-pickle, but no condiments; order of plain fries.

My order was ready in under 10 minutes.

Burger was pink and juicy and well-seasoned. Fries were soft but not soggy. Bill for both: $10-ish, which is pretty much what I drop every time I pick up a meal in DTJC, give or take a couple bucks.

Hey has anyone tried the vegetarian burger? It looked more interesting than the usual veggie fare.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
The guy two delis(MC Taste of Latin?) ago made a solid breakfast sandwich that I could get at 6am. That guy was a king among men.

This burger place was not open at 6am today.

Some day someone will capture the market of the working man that lives at the corner of 1st and Erie, but doesn't want to walk to Little Sandwich Shop, because he never parks that way, but also doesn't want to walk past his car to go to Gia's, unless he's taking the turnpike to work, but even still he doesn't want to have to do that weird turnaround maneuver on 3rd St to get a spot outside of Gia's, and even if he does get that spot it's really tense because it's no parking from 7-9, so it's a street sweeper gamble.
Some day.

Posted on: 2015/12/23 2:01

Re: Burger opening Mon 12/21 on 1st & Erie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think there is a market in JC for mediocrity, when formatted a certain way (kind of trendy/cute space).

They could differentiate themselves immediately if they operate as a late night kind of place. Actually, they would probably do quite well if they did that.

I agree, it seems to me that most of the new DTJC craves mediocrity as long as it's shiny and new.

If they're open past 10, neighbors are gonna have a hissy fit.

I disagree that there is a market for mediocrity. There is simply a market. And yes, this market does want shiny and new (well designed) if a place is going to be renovated. Look at the yelp ratings of Bucket and Bay or Milk, Sugar, Love vs that of Cherry Pick.

Affluent population DT is approaching levels to that of the more desirable neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Rent prices reflect this. However, retail saturation is no where close to what you see in BK. Additionally we don't have the option of hopping on a number of different subway trains to arrive in less than 20 minutes at a number of other neighborhoods with similar saturation levels.

I'm hopeful that PAD development does things right with a ton of ground floor retail. Its unlikely that we'll see much re-zoning in Harsimus/The Village/Hamilton or Van Vorst.

Side note: if you want to play old DT vs new DT by all means. But to try and claim this is a worse option than the E+L deli that preceded it would be ridiculous.

solid argument. Cheers.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think there is a market in JC for mediocrity, when formatted a certain way (kind of trendy/cute space).

They could differentiate themselves immediately if they operate as a late night kind of place. Actually, they would probably do quite well if they did that.

I agree, it seems to me that most of the new DTJC craves mediocrity as long as it's shiny and new.

Eh. Toricos is open til 11 in the summertime, and we survive.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Not much to add what was already stated: we went in last night at 7:15 and were greeted by a super friendly front of house staff. Placed the order (Erie Street, Ol' Blue Eyes, Pecorino truffle fries) and then waited a little over 10 minutes for everything to get prepared. As it turns out, we lucked out: they ran out of (meat) burgers after the gentleman behind us placed his order.

As it was to be expected, they have some logistical issues to work out (first day, and it showed) but they were super gracious and really tried their best and were always pleasant and smiling. So, as far as customer service, they get two thumbs up.

I stood to the side, so I had a great view into their process: it's a tight spot and they were struggling a bit with four people in there trying not to be in each other's way. The fries were delicious (good amount of pecorino, and truffle oil) but because of the backlog in getting burgers ready they cooled off and went from crisp to soft (not quite soggy, but definitely not crisp) and so that was a bit of a disappointment. At $3.50, I felt the portion was a bit small, but it was enough to serve as a small side to the main attraction when shared by two. The burgers are like everyone pointed out: smashed. Definitely not to everyone's liking: there is just no way to do a rare or medium rare burger when you are smashing, as the end result is thin. Flavor wise, I was satisfied. Enough seasoning and juicy enough. For those curious, they use Martin's potato rolls, which did a good job of holding up despite their getting soaked in the burger juices and the mound of toppings. The burgers are good, but they have a few kinks to work out. Overall, I was happy, and will visit again. I wish them well.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Smashing a burger is OK as long as it is done only when the burger meat is first put on the grill. Juices have not been released yet, so the burger just gets pressed into better contact with the flat top.

If they continued to press during cooking, it would dry out the patty. But at the beginning, it's fine.b

As for salt, I prefer it on the outside for thin to medium thickness patties. You get a nice salty crust that way. With thicker burgers, the meat needs to be seasoned through out to prevent getting a bland bite of meat.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
?The Maillard Reaction?also known as the browning reaction*?is a series of chemical reactions that take place when protein-rich foods are heated. Large proteins break into smaller compounds which react with others, recombining into new configurations. They break apart again, recombine, and on and on in a cascade of chemical reactions that creates hundreds of brand new compounds.?

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... -vs-smashing-burgers.html

A lot of really popular burger chains use this method of smashing (Smashburger, Shakeshack, Five Guys) to bring more flavor into the burger patty. I would go back and give the burger a try!

Posted on: 2015/12/22 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I disagree that there is a market for mediocrity. There is simply a market. And yes, this market does want shiny and new (well designed) if a place is going to be renovated. Look at the yelp ratings of Bucket and Bay or Milk, Sugar, Love vs that of Cherry Pick.

Affluent population DT is approaching levels to that of the more desirable neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Rent prices reflect this. However, retail saturation is no where close to what you see in BK. Additionally we don't have the option of hopping on a number of different subway trains to arrive in less than 20 minutes at a number of other neighborhoods with similar saturation levels.

I'm hopeful that PAD development does things right with a ton of ground floor retail. Its unlikely that we'll see much re-zoning in Harsimus/The Village/Hamilton or Van Vorst.

Side note: if you want to play old DT vs new DT by all means. But to try and claim this is a worse option than the E+L deli that preceded it would be ridiculous.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/22 14:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/12/22 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped in tonight...

The place really has a good looking design. My only complaint here is that there is a very high, very opaque glass "wall" around the entire cooking area, which A) kind of closes off an otherwise very nice open airy space, and B) it's kind of annoying to not see what's going on behind there. That irked me, quite a bit actually - you'll see for yourself what I mean. But generally, the space is nicely done.

While I was on line waiting to order, I peeked over this "wall" and I saw a couple things that made me NOT order a burger. The cooks were plopping the meat onto the grill and immediately and extremely forcefully pressing the heck out of it, like really squeezing it, until very flat and thin. The first thing I learned about cooking meat is that you NEVER do that, as it removes a lot of the juices that makes a burger delicious. Secondly, I noted that the cooks were applying seasoning of some sort, from a shaker, AFTER the burger was on the grill for a minute or so. That's weird. Burgers need to be seasoned so that the seasoning is evenly spread throughout the meat.

So - we ordered a chicken sandwich, buffalo style, with truffle fries. The chicken sandwich was pretty tasty, although very pedestrian and small for $7.50.

The black molasses BBQ sauce is really awesome, and a good dipping sauce for the fries, which were also very tasty.

Service-wise, I think they are going to have some issues, so long as the demand remains high. There were a lot of people standing around waiting for their food. There are also only about 5-6 seats in the entire place...It's kind of like a fast food format, but NOT fast.

This place needs to revisit a few things...specifically I think they need to step up their burger game if they are going to call themselves Burger Eatery. The things I saw do not happen in a proper burger joint.

Although I can see this place becoming popular, actually. Look how jam packed Left Bank always is, and I don't think their food is that good. I think there is a market in JC for mediocrity, when formatted a certain way (kind of trendy/cute space).

Posted on: 2015/12/22 4:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/20 20:51
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
My wife also wanted to try this place, so I had it again for dinner around 7PM. The burger patty was actually seasoned with salt this time, so looks like they fixed that pretty quickly (less than 6 hours between my first and second tastings). That was my biggest qualm with the burger, so I will now wholeheartedly recommend this place if you want a good burger at a decent price.

Sadly, the fries were still too soggy, and this time they cheaped out on the pecorino cheese compared to earlier today. The truffle flavor was still there, but practically no cheese. Also, my wife confirmed that the fries come from a bag and are not hand cut on the premises. However, they are definitely using a good brand of fries.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Well, this all sounds very disappointing. I'll give it some time before trying, but my hopes are pretty low at this point

Posted on: 2015/12/22 3:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't try it, but I did walk by and there were prices handwritten on the menu on the door, which seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 0:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/20 20:51
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Just finished my meal so here's my two cents:

Order

I picked up a Single with Cheddar and Garlic Herb Aioli sauce with a side of Pecorino Truffle Fries. Burger came with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle. Here's an album of the burger and fries I ordered.

Price

Single Burger: $6.90
Fries: $3.50
Total: $10.91

FYI, the double classic burger costs $8.66

Food Quality

I got the classic burger so that I could focus on the quality of the burger patty without the distraction of too many toppings. While the quality of the meat was excellent, it was sadly lacking any sort of seasoning. Just some salt would have been enough for me. The patty was thin so it was cooked all the way through, which further diminished the flavor.

I was watching them cook and the raw "patties" straight up looked like they took the raw meat out of the box and shaped it into cubes, so it's clear they aren't seasoning the meat. Also, they smash the burgers down when put on the griddle (not great for retaining the juices). However, they do let it sit for a while to develop a nice crust, so that's a big plus for them.

The pecorino truffle fries had a great flavor and were a good size. However, they definitely need to be fried for a little longer because they were a little too soggy for my preference. Also, I'm pretty sure the fries come out of a bag since I saw no evidence that they were being hand-cut on the premises.

Service

Ordering was a little slow. There were only two people ahead of me with a single cashier, but it still took around 5 minutes before I could put in my order. Despite having a POS with a credit card reader, they're still using an external credit card terminal, which is a little glitchy (had to insert my card twice). After ordering, you walk over to the other side to pick up.

Kitchen staff were also a little slow and running all over the place to put together orders. My seemingly simple order took a while to make, and the people ahead of me who ordered the more complex burgers ended up waiting even longer (one guy was getting visibly upset at having to wait for so long). I'm hoping this will improve as they gain experience and streamline their process.

Conclusion

Overall, I wasn't overwhelmed by this place. I was really hoping this could be a solid "grab n' go" burger spot, but for that they really need to work on the fundamentals: food quality and speed of service. As of right now, you can get better burgers almost anywhere else nearby, especially if you're willing to wait 15-20 minutes for a basic order, or 20-25 minutes for a more complex order.

I'll give the place another try in a few weeks to see if they improve on the fundamentals.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 19:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/3 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I also tried it out for lunch.

First of all, it seems like they wanted to open already, so they started out a little disorganized - menu has no prices, website incomplete, etc. As for the actual place - the place is nice, more for takeout as there's only a few seats by a countertop. The staff was friendly, meat is freshly cooked.

I had a double and truffle fries. The truffle fries were quite good, and for the price, they are definitely a good deal. The burger tasted good, although small for the price. The best comparison for the type of burger is probably Smashburger. Perhaps they will adjust their sizes or prices after their initial teething period. The burger and fries came out to around $11-12, so rather standard for the area (although some places have cheaper lunch specials).

Also, a few things to mention, since I saw it brought up here:

- They do have regular fries, even though it isn't listed on the menu. For those who don't like truffle fries.

- Their sodas are all glass-bottled, meaning their Coke is Mexican Coke (aka the cane sugar one). Don't know if this appeals to everyone, but a nice touch for me.

- I was made to understand that their ingredients are non-GMO, no hormones. I didn't really follow up on this too much, but this is probably something that would appeal to a certain subset of people, if advertised.

So to sum it up:
Quite good fries
Good burger, although pricey for its size

Will probably try again in a few weeks to see if they've made any changes.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Stop the #OOPS# presses, I have actual words to speak.

Stopped in for lunch. Wife and I both got Doubles and split a Boylan's. Double comes with American Cheese, Pickle, Tomato, Onion, and their house sauce(it's McD's special sauce[it's ketchup and mayo]). $20 without fries. Ouch.

Burger was tasty, but I'm gonna be real honest here... it was a bit overcooked(rabble rabble rabble!) and wasn't a knockout.

I'll go back because I believe everybody deserves two chances. I want to try some of the more unique burgers and the fries next time.

The place looks great, staff is super friendly, and I'm stoked to have an extremely local burger. I wish them the best, even if my so-so review isn't entirely helpful.

Go check it out for yourself!

Posted on: 2015/12/21 19:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Imagine if they tried to have outdoor tables? LOL, the neighbors would lose it. Headline would read, "Loud and dangerous burgers threaten peaceful town"

Posted on: 2015/12/21 19:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Damn, people, all these words used and not a single thing said. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to stop by and shop local.
Happy to have another option in the hood. Hope it's executed extremely well and not just coasting on their exotic German (hamburger) and French (fries) roots.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Guys, you resolve this by having a disclaimer. Most burger places WILL let you choose rare/medium rare and for many of us, that is a requirement. Somehow, they stay in business (probably because the chances of a successful lawsuit over a disclaimer for simple food poisoning is pretty freakin' small and the damages won't be worth most lawyers' time). Judging by what I'm seeing with this new restaurant's approach, this place won't. If you want to compete in a crowded market, you really to be fantastic at what you do and meet the needs of your customers. That means you make the burgers and fries the way customers want. I like truffle fries, but some people don't. Offer regular fries and maybe even a baked potato with toppings (yes, that would be neat, huh?) or coleslaw or something that sets you apart. Have outdoor tables. You know, simple things that make people go to your place instead of the other places around.

Oh I completely agree with you. A milkshake option wouldn't hurt either. I don't live in the area so I can't comment on how crowded it has become but not having the options we want will hurt some of their business.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
This place has been opened for an hour. Is somebody going to chime in with an actual review? Or shall we continue to ponder the what-ifs for another three pages?

Posted on: 2015/12/21 17:02

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017