Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Burger opening Mon 12/21 on 1st & Erie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Well I suppose this restaurant doesn't want to pay for the minuscule chance of you getting food poisoning. In the litigious world we live in, I would not say that is particularly ignorant even if it means not having some business.

Guys, you resolve this by having a disclaimer. Most burger places WILL let you choose rare/medium rare and for many of us, that is a requirement. Somehow, they stay in business (probably because the chances of a successful lawsuit over a disclaimer for simple food poisoning is pretty freakin' small and the damages won't be worth most lawyers' time). Judging by what I'm seeing with this new restaurant's approach, this place won't. If you want to compete in a crowded market, you really to be fantastic at what you do and meet the needs of your customers. That means you make the burgers and fries the way customers want. I like truffle fries, but some people don't. Offer regular fries and maybe even a baked potato with toppings (yes, that would be neat, huh?) or coleslaw or something that sets you apart. Have outdoor tables. You know, simple things that make people go to your place instead of the other places around.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Well I suppose this restaurant doesn't want to pay for the minuscule chance of you getting food poisoning. In the litigious world we live in, I would not say that is particularly ignorant even if it means not having some business.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Not really sure what is meant by temperature but the only safe way to get there is 160 F. Here is a neat article on a few cooking methods. The last method gets you the 'rare' look but turned out to be the most time consuming.

http://consumerist.com/2015/08/24/we- ... oesnt-taste-like-leather/

"Safe" is such nonsense. I'm willing to take the 0.0001% chance of getting a bit of minor indigestion for the superior flavor of a rare/med-rare burger. I also frequently do such "unsafe" things as ride in automobiles and walk across streets.

Yes, it makes sense to recommend 160F from a food regulatory and public health perspective, but the idea that consuming rare ground meat is particularly risky is just ignorant.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Love the shake shack graphic rip-off on their menu.

So Fries:

- pecorino truffle fries
- sweet fries dusted in cinnamon and sugar

Def looking forward to trying the burger, but where normally I would get fries as well, neither of these appeal to me. Cinnamon toast fries? with a burger? And truffle fries... i don't really need my fried potatoes doused with more (truffle) oil.

Anyway, good luck to the owners. Hopefuly they can make it in this town's saturated burger market.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i'm more peeved about this bullshit line of "we only cook burgers to one temperature".

if i get a gray burger, they'll have lost someone who would be a happy regular and big advocate for them. ESPECIALLY if they're getting high quality lafrieda meats that you know are from a decent source. what in the F*@($^

Agree, if I can't get a rare or medium rare burger I'm not on board. Either they're using 1/4lb patties which are just about impossible to cook rare, or they're lazy, or they don't have confidence in their meat.

I would say the other or here is that they intend the place to be "fast-casual"/takeout driven for which it doesn't make sense to attempt cooking to temperature. That looks like the way they're going since the space has about 8 stools lining one wall for dine in.

Personally I wish they would have gone more the ShakeShack route and kept the menu even simpler.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
If you stick with a restaurant that either grinds or gets freshly ground beef delivered and has quality purveyors you'll be fine with a rare burger. If I want beef with panade I'll get meatloaf or a meatball, which aren't the same texture as hamburger.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Not really sure what is meant by temperature but the only safe way to get there is 160 F. Here is a neat article on a few cooking methods. The last method gets you the 'rare' look but turned out to be the most time consuming.

http://consumerist.com/2015/08/24/we- ... oesnt-taste-like-leather/

Posted on: 2015/12/20 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
i'm more peeved about this bullshit line of "we only cook burgers to one temperature".

if i get a gray burger, they'll have lost someone who would be a happy regular and big advocate for them. ESPECIALLY if they're getting high quality lafrieda meats that you know are from a decent source. what in the F*@($^

Agree, if I can't get a rare or medium rare burger I'm not on board. Either they're using 1/4lb patties which are just about impossible to cook rare, or they're lazy, or they don't have confidence in their meat.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/20 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jerseymom wrote: Quote:
hamhock wrote:

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Amateurish, rookie move on having the site up without it being finalized. The menu looks good (particularly the Erie Street and Bob Cobb) but I wish they would keep it simple and just focus on burgers without detouring into sandwiches, which only increases overhead and inventory costs. I will probably be there Monday night to try it out.

Agreed on both counts; the current Lorem Ipsum state of the site is silly-looking. They should just redirect the URL to a Facebook page while they're building it. I'm hopeful they don't overextend themselves with the menu selection. My biggest concern is the "Spreads" section of the menu; that's the slippery slope that leads to underseasoned beef.

You get one chance to make a good first impression online. Just have a bookmark if your site isn't ready. It really does matter. And as far as the menu, no prices? As in, if you have to ask, you cannot afford it? My blue-collar roots are ruffled. Thumbs up to Boylan's - love their Black Cherry. Damn...I'm hungry now.
Good point. I picked up on the lack of prices, but forgot to comment on that. I find it SUPER annoying when eateries and restaurants leave out the prices in online menus. Not the end of the world, but it is a nice (and very user friendly) gesture to be upfront about prices and such.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hamhock wrote:

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Amateurish, rookie move on having the site up without it being finalized. The menu looks good (particularly the Erie Street and Bob Cobb) but I wish they would keep it simple and just focus on burgers without detouring into sandwiches, which only increases overhead and inventory costs. I will probably be there Monday night to try it out.

Agreed on both counts; the current Lorem Ipsum state of the site is silly-looking. They should just redirect the URL to a Facebook page while they're building it. I'm hopeful they don't overextend themselves with the menu selection. My biggest concern is the "Spreads" section of the menu; that's the slippery slope that leads to underseasoned beef.

You get one chance to make a good first impression online. Just have a bookmark if your site isn't ready. It really does matter. And as far as the menu, no prices? As in, if you have to ask, you cannot afford it? My blue-collar roots are ruffled. Thumbs up to Boylan's - love their Black Cherry. Damn...I'm hungry now.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 2:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/20 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
hamhock wrote:

They were in the midst of a friends-and-family event today as I walked by; I had the opportunity to glance at the special menu they had prepared for the occasion. Assuming even half of it is what will be on the normal menu, it should be a good place. One other good omen: there was a Pat LaFrieda meat truck parked out front beforehand.

Edit: Here's the menu from their skeletal website: http://www.burgereatery.com/menu/

Posted on: 2015/12/19 19:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

They were in the midst of a friends-and-family event today as I walked by; I had the opportunity to glance at the special menu they had prepared for the occasion. Assuming even half of it is what will be on the normal menu, it should be a good place. One other good omen: there was a Pat LaFrieda meat truck parked out front beforehand.

Edit: Here's the menu from their skeletal website: http://www.burgereatery.com/menu/

Posted on: 2015/12/19 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
that corner has never looked so beautiful. (did you see the lights on the tree out front? like our own mini Tavern on the Green.)

I really hope this place succeeds. I myself will be stopping in on a regular basis, if only to meet my weekly french fry quota.

I was actually pretty stoked on the tree lights. hah

Posted on: 2015/12/19 7:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All I'm hoping for is a well-seasoned, decently-sized burger made from fresh ground meat, served on a quality bun. It doesn't have to be a 12-oz. bar burger that's 2 inches thick, or offered with lots of zany toppings.

If I see prefab frozen patties separated by paper, I'll be disappointed.

Same goes with the fries; it's probably too much to ask for fresh hand-cut with their limited-sized location, but if they can get a supplier with a flash-frozen version, that'd be swell.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
that corner has never looked so beautiful. (did you see the lights on the tree out front? like our own mini Tavern on the Green.)

I really hope this place succeeds. I myself will be stopping in on a regular basis, if only to meet my weekly french fry quota.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I've been waiting so long for this!

At this point there's almost no way the burger can live up to how good I want it to be. hah

I'll be there Monday.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks

Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
BYOB?

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Saw a few people in there late tonight, poked on the door and was told they'd be open Monday. Please be better than Left Bank. I don't need Minetta Tavern or Spotted Pig, but I really hope they know how salt and pepper relate to a good burger.

Doesn't seem to be intended for much eat-in. There are only countertops and stools lining the exterior walls.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
BYOB?

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Saw a few people in there late tonight, poked on the door and was told they'd be open Monday. Please be better than Left Bank. I don't need Minetta Tavern or Spotted Pig, but I really hope they know how salt and pepper relate to a good burger.

Doesn't seem to be intended for much eat-in. There are only countertops and stools lining the exterior walls.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

It is mindblowing how underseasoned the food is at nearly every single restaurant in this city. The solution is easy - you just have to ask for some salt, throw on a pinch or two, and boom, the food is delicious - which makes me almost feel bad about complaining, but come on, that's the chef's goddamn job, to make sure the food they put out is properly seasoned.

Any case, the burger at Union Republic is pretty solid, best I've had in JC other than the dry-aged Pat Lafrieda patties that I get delivered and do a reverse-sear in my oven, finishing with my Searzall.

And I've been a little let down by recent Minetta Tavern experiences. Michael White's burgers and Emily in Brooklyn have taken my heart away from the Black Label.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
BYOB?

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2015/12/17 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Salt....yeah. Flavor is a good thing.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 12:16

BURGER EATERY on 1st & Erie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users

BURGER EATERY
238 First Street,
Jersey City, NJ 07302.
Telephone: 201 795 3250

http://www.burgereatery.com/

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/12/17 6:51

Edited by Falcon on 2015/12/22 4:39:51

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username: