Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JFK & Stevens Ave by the Library - Safe?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcjcdude wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The Trulia crime map mightn't have all the crime reports, it's probably the best rough guide you'll find. Not sure about the specific street and lighting at night - but the health center probably means it's better lit than most. The folks I know in that general area use a car to get around.

http://www.trulia.com/property/321045 ... -Ave-Jersey-City-NJ-07305

thanks it seems on the map when i viewed it its a "hot area".. upon research i wished to be closer to country village or wayyy more north toward JSQ/heights, but prices quickly escalate the more you move west/south or toward heights from this point..

i was hoping NJCU would have a positive effect, but it seems too far north?? also I read NJCU Business campus is moving to downtown JC, so I doubt the library is enough to make that a 'decent area'..

it seems nicer than Ocean Ave, but its proximity to MLK has be question it since there is no buffer of Bergen Ave, bc that's where it merges with JFK.. thanks all, glad i found this website..

PS I have tolerance for the "hood-lite" having grown up in Brooklyn, however it was a diverse vibrant community... driving thru Ocean Ave at night definitely seemed sketchier, more akin to Irvington [less diverse] where we are obviously newbies to the hood.

Only observation. Crime in JC - and in any city - is literally block-by-block. Don't let proximity of crime deter your choice. Parts of Newark Ave in downtown are red - (as well as a lot of Hoboken).

"Hood-lite"? I'd say anywhere west of Kennedy is fine so long as you have some basic street-smarts.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 4:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/16 1:45
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The Trulia crime map mightn't have all the crime reports, it's probably the best rough guide you'll find. Not sure about the specific street and lighting at night - but the health center probably means it's better lit than most. The folks I know in that general area use a car to get around.

thanks it seems on the map when i viewed it its a "hot area".. upon research i wished to be closer to country village or wayyy more north toward JSQ/heights, but prices quickly escalate the more you move west/south or toward heights from this point..

i was hoping NJCU would have a positive effect, but it seems too far north?? also I read NJCU Business campus is moving to downtown JC, so I doubt the library is enough to make that a 'decent area'..

it seems nicer than Ocean Ave, but its proximity to MLK has be question it since there is no buffer of Bergen Ave, bc that's where it merges with JFK.. thanks all, glad i found this website..

PS I have tolerance for the "hood-lite" having grown up in Brooklyn, however it was a diverse vibrant community... driving thru Ocean Ave at night definitely seemed sketchier, more akin to Irvington [less diverse] where we are obviously newbies to the hood.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
You would be safer anywhere in the Heights. You could also try Country Village. Listen to your intuition, it knows.

Heights, a person needs to listen to their wallet too.

jcjcdude, spend a LOT of time walking around there at all hours. Rush hr to see who's getting home from work, midday to see who's not working and hanging out, 10pm to see who's still hanging out. December is not the best season for this, but better than nothing.

Remember, everyone's "hood tolerance" is different. We thought Downtown was gentrified in 97, other people recall it as a skanky drug zone and think it only got good recently. And check the prices and spend time in the Heights and other areas if you can. It's a big investment.

Good points. I think of that section of JC - west of Kennedy, down towards Country Village as "quietsville". Nothing much there, nothing much happening. Decent area if you simply want a quiet place to live.

For a better investment opportunity consider Journal Sq and the Heights. For high risk/high reward look closer to the light rail along Garfield or Communipaw.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
You would be safer anywhere in the Heights. You could also try Country Village. Listen to your intuition, it knows.

Heights, a person needs to listen to their wallet too.

jcjcdude, spend a LOT of time walking around there at all hours. Rush hr to see who's getting home from work, midday to see who's not working and hanging out, 10pm to see who's still hanging out. December is not the best season for this, but better than nothing.

Remember, everyone's "hood tolerance" is different. We thought Downtown was gentrified in 97, other people recall it as a skanky drug zone and think it only got good recently. And check the prices and spend time in the Heights and other areas if you can. It's a big investment.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
my daughter has a friend whose family lives in Stevens Ave., just off West Side. I've ferried her back and forth to hang out at all hours and it is safe and quiet.

Like you said, the area east of JFK looks a bit shady and it is. She also attended Academy I on Bergen (between Wilkinson/Bayview) not too far away and that area is really shady.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/11 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/11 0:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

JFK & Stevens Ave by the Library - Safe?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/16 1:45
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Looking to purchase a hose in the area just off Kennedy. How is this area?

It seems online anything WEST of Kennedy is okay and anything EAST is a warzone.

We drove through Ocean Ave and didn't feel safe at all, but upon approaching Kennedy it seemed better.. Is Kennedy/Stevens Ave thoroughfare always well-lit at night so it is safer?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/12/10 22:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017