Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lawsuit claims Jersey City official retaliated against gay worker
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... lawsuit_targeting_je.html

Does this mean Dan will continue working as Historic Preservation officer? Or does he retire with this settlement?

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/3/2 17:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
+1+1+1...NO ONE should have to endure the unapologetically unprofessional way that Mr. Cruz behaves in the workplace. I sincerely hope that justice is served here.

People are all entitled to their opinions about Mr. Wrieden, but he is not, in my educated opinion, an unethical person who would waste his or anyone else's time with a bogus lawsuit.

The role of Historic Preservation Officer is a very difficult job in this city of competing and conflicting interests. God bless him for hanging in there despite all of this adversity.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 5:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
If in fact Dan has been the subject of a hostile work environment, then he has a legitimate claim which he pursued. Whether you've had good or bad dealings with Dan, doesn't mean he should be subject to abuse at work, whether it's homophobic slurs or rage from a manager.

My experience with Dan was only ok. I wouldn't deify him as others on this thread have. Also, while I'm in support of historic preservation, Dan clearly confused that with historic restoration. I also don't think he should be the subject of abuse on an online thread or at work.

There was a group of constituents that had worked to modify the historic preservation ordinance based upon research which supported their propositions. However, for a host of reasons, their goals weren't accomplished.

Regardless, Dan's lawsuit should follow its course if it has merit. Whether you like Dan should in no way influence your position on work place abuse. Instead you should support him because hostile work environments could be debilitating. Which is why NJ has adopted the NJLAD.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Joshua, you seem to be doing so much better since our little chat. Remember, don't let those outside influences get you down.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
Cry me a river. Of course he is going to use any line in the book. He's going for money. Where is his proof? Him saying it?

A victim's testimony can be proof if a jury finds it credible.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
We have found someone who rankles Yvonne more than the Fulop administration. Probably a combination of the fact that the individual is a) gay, and b) doing her husband's prior job, and actually enforcing the rules.

Posted on: 2015/12/1 3:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/19 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
More than likely

Posted on: 2015/11/30 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne has gone BEYOND out-of-line this time.

If you live in a historic district and then act surprised that the standards of upkeep cost more than if you did not, you have yourself to blame. "Dan" did not cost you money, "living in a historic district" is what costs money. Remember that when you sell your brownstone for a million bucks thanks to the neighborhood character.

That aside, Dan was NOT the first to submit complaints against this director for verbal abuse, and if anyone visited that office on Montgomery Street you had a good chance of witnessing the director's behavior first hand.

Posted on: 2015/11/29 21:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/20 21:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't want this to turn into the Yvonne show. I will refrain from commenting to her in the future. It's really not worth it. This is about Dan and the pain he has had to indure. Dan has personally and professionally helped me create a beautiful home with his wealth of knowledge and he is the one who has the courage to standup for himself.

Posted on: 2015/11/29 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, i'm not surprised that dan was rebuked for trying to stand up against developers. we all know that it is wrong to disturb the honey pot for local politicians, fulop included.

i wonder if this current administration even understands the concept of historic preservation.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have know people who have had a great deal of trouble with Dan. He had these people stop the job over stupid stuff. It has financially put a strain on people. Anyone can say anything for sympathy. Where is the sympathy for the people Dan put into financial ruin? Sorry, if your job is so troublesome that you want to commit suicide, then I suggest you find another job. It is called being an adult.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
I have an immense amount of respect for Dan. He's been knowledgeable and accessible and in my dealings with him has always gone out of his way to be helpful. Dan has cost me money, but when I purchased buildings in a historic district I knew that was part of the deal.

Cruz is innocent until proven guilty, but I suspect at the least he's on the way out.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cry me a river. Of course he is going to use any line in the book. He's going for money. Where is his proof? Him saying it?

Posted on: 2015/11/28 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

jackp wrote:
I have sought out Dan's help several times over the last 3 years for the historic Grace Church Van Vorst downtown. Dan is very knowledgeable and helped us solve several difficult problems as we did projects affecting the exterior of the Church. He had creative ideas that allowed us to meet historic standards in a way that was not excessively costly, and I call him regularly to consult on future plans.

We are lucky to have someone of his caliber working for JC. Nobody in the City or anywhere else for that matter should be treated with disrespect, especially on a personal level.

If Dan was mis-treated to the extent that he contemplated suicide, then this administration needs to take a good, long look at how they manage HR complaints and employee conflict. No human being should have to be reduced to that level of emotional harm.

I certainly hope he has reached out to mental health professionals to help him through this time.

Suicide, really? I know individuals that Dan has hurt financially, maybe they ought to use that line.

You know, Yvonne, I've always stayed relatively quiet about your comments on JCList, but you've really, really crossed the line here.

You will never, ever wish to be in the shoes of someone who is suicidal, nor will you will ever wish to be left in the wake of someone you love who has committed suicide. It is not a joke, it is not something to be joked about, nor is it a convenient "line" to use in a lawsuit.

Sensitive people can be driven to suicide because of a myriad of reasons. If Dan was, it is the shame of our current administration and should be investigated.

Your comment is remarkably un-Christian for someone who professes to be so devout to your God. For shame.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

jackp wrote:
I have sought out Dan's help several times over the last 3 years for the historic Grace Church Van Vorst downtown. Dan is very knowledgeable and helped us solve several difficult problems as we did projects affecting the exterior of the Church. He had creative ideas that allowed us to meet historic standards in a way that was not excessively costly, and I call him regularly to consult on future plans.

We are lucky to have someone of his caliber working for JC. Nobody in the City or anywhere else for that matter should be treated with disrespect, especially on a personal level.

If Dan was mis-treated to the extent that he contemplated suicide, then this administration needs to take a good, long look at how they manage HR complaints and employee conflict. No human being should have to be reduced to that level of emotional harm.

I certainly hope he has reached out to mental health professionals to help him through this time.

Suicide, really? I know individuals that Dan has hurt financially, maybe they ought to use that line.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/28 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/28 2:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/26 18:55
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downtownempire wrote:
There are five Historic Districts in Jersey City and if you own a home in one of them and want to repair or rehab it there are rules, regulations and guidelines, that you must follow. Dan's job is to follow these guidelines that are setup by a City Ordinance. He is only doing his job and he does it very well. That is why there are million dollar plus homes in these districts.

Director Cruz is unqualified for the position of HEDC Director and bullies a lot of employees in that department. Dan's is not the only compliant made against Director Cruz.

City employees just want to go to work and do their jobs and not be harassed, belittled and abused. There is a very serious hostile work environment situation in HEDC and it needs to be addressed immediately.

Cannot agree with this enough. NO HUMAN BEING should be allowed to repeatedly scream "FU**ING FA*GOT" at people. This was a long time coming.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
No comment from Fulop about one of his hires accused of being homophobic? Is this another Akil situation?

Posted on: 2015/11/28 1:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/20 21:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There are five Historic Districts in Jersey City and if you own a home in one of them and want to repair or rehab it there are rules, regulations and guidelines, that you must follow. Dan's job is to follow these guidelines that are setup by a City Ordinance. He is only doing his job and he does it very well. That is why there are million dollar plus homes in these districts.

Director Cruz is unqualified for the position of HEDC Director and bullies a lot of employees in that department. Dan's is not the only compliant made against Director Cruz.

City employees just want to go to work and do their jobs and not be harassed, belittled and abused. There is a very serious hostile work environment situation in HEDC and it needs to be addressed immediately.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Another Fulop hire in trouble.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 19:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dan is a troublemaker and what I said is 1000% true. I don't know Cruz but if it's true what he did then get rid of him too.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
that's out of line.
Dan strictly enforces rules that many do not like. Sure.
But it takes about 2 minutes of prodding around city employees to find someone who has been abused, insulted, or "name called" by Cruz.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dan has always been a troublemaker. The sooner he is gone the better. This is just an attempt by him to keep his power that he throws around so well.

Posted on: 2015/11/27 17:56

Lawsuit claims Jersey City official retaliated against gay worker
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Lawsuit claims Jersey City official retaliated against gay worker

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
November 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM

JERSEY CITY — A city worker has filed a lawsuit against city director and former deputy mayor Anthony Cruz, accusing Cruz of a host of allegations that include making homophobic remarks and using his position to help developers.

Daniel Wrieden, a historic preservation officer, alleges in the five-count lawsuit, filed Nov. 9 in Hudson County Superior Court, that Cruz referred to him as "that f***ing weirdo," "consistently" used a slur usually aimed at gay men and created such a hostile work environment that Wrieden contemplated suicide.

Cruz, director of the city Department of Housing, Economic Development and Commerce, also punished Wrieden for speaking out against developers and builders who violated city requirements, developers with whom Cruz "had a certain relationship," according to the lawsuit.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rt_river_mobileshort_home

Posted on: 2015/11/27 17:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017