Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 700 Grove
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
However, it is not a no man's land.

Sometimes, pictures tell a thousand words:

Google Maps - Satellite View

You do have Hoboken Beer & Soda Outlet across the street.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 21:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 22:25
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
The association there is suing Toll, so be on the lookout in terms of maintenance.

Grove Street in that area has not flooded in a few years now. Whatever remediation they did in Hoboken seems to have helped.

1) Nobody wins when there is a lawsuit except the attorneys.
Buyers are going to hesitate to buy when there is ongoing litigation. Owners get desperate when market conditions are bad.

2) Been quite dry since last winter, some would call it drought conditions. Wait until we get a few consecutive storms and the ground gets saturated before its safe to say the remediation worked. BTW, this area is at a very low elevation compared to sea level so next time there is a storm surge like Sandy or even half, this area is toast unless flood walls are installed and sea levels stop rising....

Posted on: 2015/12/24 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
However, it is not a no man's land.

Sometimes, pictures tell a thousand words:

Google Maps - Satellite View

Posted on: 2015/12/24 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The association there is suing Toll, so be on the lookout in terms of maintenance.

However, it is not a no man's land. It is a 15 minute walk to Washington St in Hoboken and walking distance to Newport.

Both Observer Highway and the area on 18th street are in redevelopment- both JC and Hoboken have made plans public and you can see Observer is under construction.

Grove Street in that area has not flooded in a few years now. Whatever remediation they did in Hoboken seems to have helped.

Also I live very close to 700 and never hear the train...you may hear the horn which I used to hear on Manila and 10th.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 4:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sloppy finish work can be fixed rather easily. It's just too bad the issues with most new construction on JC are not skin deep.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 6:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Favorite feature of the Gannon is the room on the right side of the building that houses the sprinkler pipes.... and nothing else. Check it out next time you're walking down first. The fuck goes on here?

Posted on: 2015/11/20 2:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/3 3:12
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
My advice to anyone looking at new places in JC (whether renting or buying) is to come armed with a measuring tape and a level. Put that level on all surfaces and see for yourself.

This is a general issue with today's new construction no matter the market. I used to live in a brand new "luxury" construction in Manhattan and the poor workmanship still exists there. Unless you oversee the development from the beginning I don't think you can get away from it.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
At little tip:

There is more money being made in repair and maintenance work of highrise apartments less the 15 years old then any other type of work.

Developers seek out cities with poor building codes and regulations (JC is one of them) so that they can build cheap high rise buildings using cheaper materials to maximise profits ... After the 'warranty' period of the building is over, apartment owners are going to be given a shock when their buildings require major re-construction and as a collective, they are going to have to shell out millions to make good their building ... I am aware of buildings that have had to be re-wired, re-plumbed, balconies re-tiled and concrete works re-addressed at the expense of property owners and NOT construction co's.

My advise is to research the builders of buildings WORLDWIDE - Many do work in other States and countries and focus their constructing in cities that also have poor building codes and regulations .
My advice is to stick with older 'walk-up' low height buildings that have proven to be well built and have stood the test of time

FAB and I have clashed in the past over other topics, but on this he is 100% on point. Over the past year and a half, I have visited every new development, and most of the ones built in the past few years, and it has been very disappointing. Sloppy tile work can be found pretty much everywhere, bad plastering is common, in some places you come across uneven walls. I have seen comically uneven counters, and the list goes on. My advice to anyone looking at new places in JC (whether renting or buying) is to come armed with a measuring tape and a level. Put that level on all surfaces and see for yourself.

Of course, despite the shoddy work, new construction has one key appeal: much of it comes with a lengthy tax abatement.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
100% agree with Fat Ass over here.

As a construction guy, I get to look at the new buildings with a bit more of a discerning eye than John Q. I gotta say, we're blighting out own neighborhoods with these new construction catastrophes. They're going to be our childrens' burden to bear.

Take a look at the "Gannon" over on first. Walk through one of the slapped together units they're trying to unload for 7 figures. Marvel at the unnecessary soffits, the uneven tile, the dozens of patches in the bathroom ceilings where the rockers went over the vents and played guess and patch trying to find them again.

You think it's going to stop at the surface? lol

Omigod the Gannon. Hilariously boneheaded layouts (guest bedrooms the exact width of a bed; about an inch of clearance between the open oven door and the kitchen island; that weird spaceship blue light that circles the living rooms across the top of the molding).

Plus zero amenities.

Not surprised it's still mostly empty.

Agreed on all points. I have visited that place twice, and it is baffling. If you check out any unit with a balcony, take a look at the balcony railing... completely uneven, leaning OUT. Narrow, completely useless dead end hallways in some units. And, yes, that tacky lighting along the crown moulding. Why? The kicker is that they priced themselves at close to $800/sf! Even after they lowered asking prices, it is sitting mostly empty.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

As a construction guy, I get to look at the new buildings with a bit more of a discerning eye than John Q. I gotta say, we're blighting out own neighborhoods with these new construction catastrophes. They're going to be our childrens' burden to bear.

Take a look at the "Gannon" over on first. Walk through one of the slapped together units they're trying to unload for 7 figures. Marvel at the unnecessary soffits, the uneven tile, the dozens of patches in the bathroom ceilings where the rockers went over the vents and played guess and patch trying to find them again.

Omigod the Gannon. Hilariously boneheaded layouts (guest bedrooms the exact width of a bed; about an inch of clearance between the open oven door and the kitchen island; that weird spaceship blue light that circles the living rooms across the top of the molding).

Plus zero amenities.

Not surprised it's still mostly empty.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/17 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
At little tip:

There is more money being made in repair and maintenance work of highrise apartments less the 15 years old then any other type of work.

Developers seek out cities with poor building codes and regulations (JC is one of them) so that they can build cheap high rise buildings using cheaper materials to maximise profits ... After the 'warranty' period of the building is over, apartment owners are going to be given a shock when their buildings require major re-construction and as a collective, they are going to have to shell out millions to make good their building ... I am aware of buildings that have had to be re-wired, re-plumbed, balconies re-tiled and concrete works re-addressed at the expense of property owners and NOT construction co's.

My advise is to research the builders of buildings WORLDWIDE - Many do work in other States and countries and focus their constructing in cities that also have poor building codes and regulations .
My advice is to stick with older 'walk-up' low height buildings that have proven to be well built and have stood the test of time

Posted on: 2015/11/17 20:58

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/11/17 21:26:15
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/11/17 21:27:15
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, you're acting like an asshole because you care not because you just love the sound of your own condescending voice. Got it.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
bash the dude all you want, but he's pointing out that the OP is asking questions that are irrelevant as a whole.

might as well be asking how nice the deck chairs are on the titanic given what's been written about this place in the past. and how well the band plays.

basically, if you're asking how nice your neighbors are when you're perhaps throwing away a lifetime's (or even half or a quarter) worth of money, then maybe you're asking the wrong question.

Yep, i am trying to prevent the guy from making a big mistake with his life investment. At least giving him the facts and what to look for about the building so he knows what he is getting into.

All of you other whiners who moans about me not being nice enough, offers nothing but meaningless dribbles that pollutes the thread with useless posts. So you can all kiss my ass.

To the OP, hate me or thank me later, i dont really care. But do some research on the building you are buying into - there is a reason why those units are sitting on the market at 40% haircut to the newport/hoboken prices.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
its super productive to be completely rude and try to make total strangers feel stupid when they are asking questions that don't seem relevant to you. Sounds like you have a very rich and fulfilling personal life to lash out at randos on the internet asking inane questions.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
bash the dude all you want, but he's pointing out that the OP is asking questions that are irrelevant as a whole.

might as well be asking how nice the deck chairs are on the titanic given what's been written about this place in the past. and how well the band plays.

basically, if you're asking how nice your neighbors are when you're perhaps throwing away a lifetime's (or even half or a quarter) worth of money, then maybe you're asking the wrong question.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/17 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
jcguy05 why on earth would you need to make such a comment? The person has questions. If you don't like the questions, don't participate in the conversation.

Now as to the OP, FYI the main street along that stretch - Observer Highway - is undergoing a major overhaul for both aesthetics and flood prevention. It should be on the Hoboken website. It will be reduced in width, boulevarded, and a walkway to the PATH. Also the Neumann Leather factory AND the parcels to the west of you are all slated for redeveloment. This should, in theory at least, give some connectivity to the neighborhood in Hoboken. you may need to be patient, though, that's not going to change immediately.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSJS wrote:
The guy is genuinely just trying to ask questions. Does it make you feel better about yourself to publicly humiliate someone because his concerns aren't yours? Jeez!!

seems about right for JC List. You must be new here.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 14:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
The guy is genuinely just trying to ask questions. Does it make you feel better about yourself to publicly humiliate someone because his concerns aren't yours? Jeez!!

Posted on: 2015/11/17 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tarkan wrote:
Just checking in to see if any current/past owners/renters at 700 Grove have insight regarding the following:

Soundproofing and odors. Do you ever hear your neighbors? What's the noise transference in-between and below/above units? Is it common to smell odors from other units (e.g., cooking odors) in your unit?

Condo culture. What's the general vibe? Are neighbors generally friendly?

Condo association meetings. What are they like? How often do they take place? Are there any special assessments in the works?

Staff. Are they generally helpful? Courteous?

Pet peeves. What are your biggest pet peeves with the building? Anything you wish you would have known prior to purchasing?

Thanks!

Who the hell cares about any of those things, they dont mean squat.

Your building sits in front of a train yard with more tracks going through it than a bowl of spaghetti. Your surrounding neighbors are a beer factory, a few warehouses and parking lots that looked like the city of london during world war 2. Your immediate streets become a swimming pool for your cars when it rains. And the building is a structural disaster done by the friendly folks at Toll Brothers, go check the lawsuits filed against them

Talk about missing the checklist when buying a real estate....condo culture...lol....

Posted on: 2015/11/16 21:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/25 17:00
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Just checking in to see if any current/past owners/renters at 700 Grove have insight regarding the following:

Soundproofing and odors. Do you ever hear your neighbors? What's the noise transference in-between and below/above units? Is it common to smell odors from other units (e.g., cooking odors) in your unit?

Condo culture. What's the general vibe? Are neighbors generally friendly?

Condo association meetings. What are they like? How often do they take place? Are there any special assessments in the works?

Pet peeves. What are your biggest pet peeves with the building? Anything you wish you would have known prior to purchasing?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/11/16 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/6 12:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/10 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
Tarkan--- sent you a Private Message

Posted on: 2015/10/5 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Just my opinion but 700 Grove is sort of in No Man's Land - in between DTJC and Hoboken. Although there is development going on, not much in walking distance except A&P, Home Depot and the Holland Tunnel. No neighborhood at all.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget flooding. There's a lawsuit somewhere.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... esidents_of_downtown.html

Posted on: 2015/10/5 23:13

700 Grove

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/25 17:00
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Interested in purchasing a condo at 700 Grove.

For folks who live there, can you weigh in about;

Condo culture.
What's the general vibe? Are neighbors generally friendly?

Condo association meetings. What are they like? How often do they take place? Are there any special assessments in the works? What's the status of the post-Sandy construction?

This is a big purchase, so any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/10/5 22:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017