Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
rape

Be careful, I never have them drop me off at my door a few doors down is OK..

I don't understand why people are eager to link sexual assaults to uber or lyft- your risk is exactly the same as it was when you were taking regular cabs. Atleast you have a history of the car and driver that picked you up now. The risk of cab drivers assaulting passengers has always been there-with or without an app. I'm not saying it's a great situation either way but this certainly isn't anything new or unique to just Uber or Lyft.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
rape

Be careful, I never have them drop me off at my door a few doors down is OK..

Posted on: 2016/1/10 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
I usually go for Uber by default but I used Lyft over the holidays for EWR. On Jan 1 I had a quote for $38-50 on Uber for EWR pickup and I ended up paying $26 on Lyft with a generous tip - and the driver was right there. They are clearly training their driver into using the usual Uber professional jargon.

Lyft was running a promotion (I don't think it wasn't available to all customers) where fares were 50% in NJ. I used it a couple of times, and it was ridiculously low prices to get to the airport. I paid $10 one day. AT that price, why even bother with PATH and NJT bus? 15 minutes from downtown to EWR for just $10. I am going back to the airport in two weeks and for sure will be taking the 50% off Uber ride.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I usually go for Uber by default but I used Lyft over the holidays for EWR. On Jan 1 I had a quote for $38-50 on Uber for EWR pickup and I ended up paying $26 on Lyft with a generous tip - and the driver was right there. They are clearly training their driver into using the usual Uber professional jargon.

Posted on: 2016/1/9 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Uber says airport fare cut in half as it slashes prices in N.J.

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
  January 08, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Like a retail store fighting the post-Christmas shopping slump, Uber is having a sale on the price of getting from here to there this winter.

Prices on Uber X airport trips are being cut 50 percent and other trips are seeing a 15 percent price reduction across New Jersey, starting 12 p.m., Saturday, said Craig Ewer, an Uber New Jersey spokesman.

The state price reduction is part of a larger, nationwide price cut being done by the company. Since the base price will be cut, that means that surge pricing during times of hig demand will also be lower than currently charged, he said.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... slashes_prices_in_nj.html

Posted on: 2016/1/9 7:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I go to and from the airport a lot more than I'd like, and I always use Uber. Occasionally you get an inept driver, but it's far better than using a cab and cheaper than a traditional car service. What's more, in the few times I've had an Uber problem that resulted in an incorrect charge, Uber customer service has corrected the problem immediately. Try that with a car service.

Likewise! The one and only time I had an issue with Uber, they took care of the problem immediately. I have had countless issues with cabs and private cars, and will never ever rely on either again.

Never say never. The cab lobby may get its way in Trenton and get Uber banned, as they have been lobbying to do.

On this issue I will give Fulop a lot of credit for acting like an actual progressive and allowing Uber to benefit all of us.

I think it is safe to say that, at this point, that ship has sailed. I can't imagine the state passing any sort of legislation banning Uber statewide. Look what happened with Tesla. The car dealership lobby got their way at first, but the PR debacle led to a quick modification that allowed for Tesla sales. Yes, that is an oversimplification, but the point I am trying to make is that the popularity of these new services (the so called sharing economy apps and services) will prevent the state from banning them outright.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I go to and from the airport a lot more than I'd like, and I always use Uber. Occasionally you get an inept driver, but it's far better than using a cab and cheaper than a traditional car service. What's more, in the few times I've had an Uber problem that resulted in an incorrect charge, Uber customer service has corrected the problem immediately. Try that with a car service.

Likewise! The one and only time I had an issue with Uber, they took care of the problem immediately. I have had countless issues with cabs and private cars, and will never ever rely on either again.

Never say never. The cab lobby may get its way in Trenton and get Uber banned, as they have been lobbying to do.

On this issue I will give Fulop a lot of credit for acting like an actual progressive and allowing Uber to benefit all of us.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/18 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/18 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I use Uber for all my trips to and from the airport. I have never been disappointed... , I love and use via as well for all my in the city trips.

I always use Uber to the airport. Pre-uber I used to use a black car service (I tried two different companies). They were hit-or-miss, the drivers often rude, and on one occasion upped the price en route (which I took out of the tip because that's BS). Coming home from the airport I've often had to wait upwards of 20 minutes for the black cars.

I've never had to wait more than 5 min for Uber. I don't doubt the problems, hitches, flukes, etc. that others have reported with Uber. But, as another poster said, they seem to pale in comparison.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Took Lyft back from EWR. First driver came in an SUV but refused to take us because we had three suitcases and four passengers (two kids). He said we had to take a Lyft +. A minute later another driver calls us. Even though she had a small car we managed to fit everything in and she took us. She related to us that she had her own experience with Lyft where she almost missed her flight because a driver refused to take her there.

Lyft and Uber are relying on the fact that the amount of customer complaints about poor, unreliable, or unsafe service is outweighed by the convenience. I suspect they are correct in their calculations, but its a bit of a gamble. The question is how many instances of such failures will be enough to tip the scales in favor of regulation. If it's just a question of occasional dissatisfaction with service and surge pricing, they will likely be able to continue without much challenge. If there are enough incidents such as accidents uncovered by insurance and drivers assaulting or harassing passengers then they may have to accept some regulation.

I have also commented on bad experiences with Uber. However, those bad experiences pale in comparison to the experiences I've had with local cabs. And JPhurst, you have consistenly criticized ride-sharing services, mostly on the "insurance issue." Why would you put your family in Lyft if you were that concerned?

Anyway, given the shape that many of the local cabs are in, it's a wonder there aren't more accidents. As for insurance, Uber has consistently beaten that argument as fictitious.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I use Uber for all my trips to and from the airport. I have never been disappointed... , I love and use via as well for all my in the city trips.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I can't get a cab from my house unless I happen to know their company name (which I don't) and call them (which annoys me) and MAYBE they show up EVENTUALLY. And if they do, the cab is filthy and costs too much. Their complaint is empty, IMHO. Competition is part of the free market. Drive for Uber if you don't like it.

And yeah that sucks that you're in the red with your medallion, but nothing says you're guaranteed profit. Look at all the people who went under with homes, whose business ventures failed, etc. Risk is part of the market, too, and while we can't predict the future, such is life.

I wonder if the horse and carriage companies cried foul when cars were invented, citing "unfair competition."

You are so cool ! I wish there was a like tab. You forgot to mention the stinky part, maybe that's what did in the horse & buggies.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 22:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
She related to us that she had her own experience with Lyft where she almost missed her flight because a driver refused to take her there.

Lyft and Uber are relying on the fact that the amount of customer complaints about poor, unreliable, or unsafe service is outweighed by the convenience. I suspect they are correct in their calculations, but its a bit of a gamble. The question is how many instances of such failures will be enough to tip the scales in favor of regulation. If it's just a question of occasional dissatisfaction with service and surge pricing, they will likely be able to continue without much challenge. If there are enough incidents such as accidents uncovered by insurance and drivers assaulting or harassing passengers then they may have to accept some regulation.

If I had a plane to catch, I would never use Lyft or Uber. I would reserve a car service ahead of time. Lyft and Uber are more for spur-of-the-moment types of trips. As for the insurance/regulation issue, while what you say may be true, it is still a two-way street. The cab companies in Jersey City simply can't continue to do things the way they've been doing them and expect city hall to rescue them. They need to change and adapt to the times. It seems like the taxi industry has been the most reluctant industry to do so by far. Can you imagine the laughs the newspaper industry would have gotten if they complained about Craigslist taking away all their classified advertising revenue (which typically amounted to 1/3 of their total revenue)?

Posted on: 2015/11/16 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Your link about Florida does not support what you are trying to say. It says that Uber drivers are covered by commercial insurance at all times the vehicle is being used for Uber purposes.

But some cabs are trying to make an issue because the commercial insurance does not appear to be effective when the vehicle is not being used for Uber purposes. And apparently there's an old law which seems to require "for-hire" passenger transportation vehicles be covered by commercial insurance "at all times."

Since that only deals with the period someone is not taking an Uber, there is nothing to suggest the possibility of uncovered accidents from your link.

In fact, the opposite is suggested, as it appears undisputed (at least in Florida) that drivers are required to have valid commercial insurance when transporting passengers.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Some personal insurance policies have exclusions if the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes. I do not believe all or even most drivers have commercial insurance.

In Florida there is some question as to whether Uber drivers are covered.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/ ... ast/2015/09/18/382179.htm

Posted on: 2015/11/16 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure Uber requires its drivers to have insurance.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Took Lyft back from EWR. First driver came in an SUV but refused to take us because we had three suitcases and four passengers (two kids). He said we had to take a Lyft +. A minute later another driver calls us. Even though she had a small car we managed to fit everything in and she took us. She related to us that she had her own experience with Lyft where she almost missed her flight because a driver refused to take her there.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Ali's complaint is echoed by taxi drivers across Jersey City ? there are 235 registered with the city ?

Where are they?

Hahaha that's a VERY GOOD question. The question speaks for itself and is the ultimate counterargument to the taxis in Jersey City that want city hall to do something about Uber.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
the city should be making sure that it is getting its fair share of taxes

Posted on: 2015/11/16 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Piled in a heap at Grove St, honking at each other.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ali's complaint is echoed by taxi drivers across Jersey City ? there are 235 registered with the city ?

Where are they?

Posted on: 2015/11/16 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I can't get a cab from my house unless I happen to know their company name (which I don't) and call them (which annoys me) and MAYBE they show up EVENTUALLY. And if they do, the cab is filthy and costs too much. Their complaint is empty, IMHO. Competition is part of the free market. Drive for Uber if you don't like it.

And yeah that sucks that you're in the red with your medallion, but nothing says you're guaranteed profit. Look at all the people who went under with homes, whose business ventures failed, etc. Risk is part of the market, too, and while we can't predict the future, such is life.

I wonder if the horse and carriage companies cried foul when cars were invented, citing "unfair competition."

Agreed. It's not just that the Jersey City cabs are filthy cars that barely hold together, there are none around when you need one and no phone numbers to call. Uber works very well in Jersey City, where you can't typically just walk out on the street and find a cab when you need one. In Manhattan, where cabs are all over the place, in far better shape and modernized, I have little or no need for Uber.

For all these cabs in Jersey City that have a problem with Uber - what am I supposed to do when it's pouring rain outside and there are no cabs in sight? Rather than whine to city hall, fix up your cabs and create your own app people can use to summon one of you, much like they've done in Philadelphia, New York (designed by Uber, I might add) and a few other smaller cities.

Not to mention that every time I get into a Jersey City taxi nowadays, they claim their meter is broken and try to arbitrarily make up a fare, until I tell them that city regulations state I don't have to pay if the meter never gets turned on. Then the meter gets fixed in about two seconds.

This. 100%. Just visited friends on the west side of JC Heights. A ride from DTJC on Uber was just shy of $8. Based on prior experience, a cab would have wanted over $15 and I would have had to go stand in a line by the Grove St PATH and wait for a car to show up. No thank you. Uber is a game changer for JC, and the mayor and his administration are smart to not impede on their operations locally. Uber's presence in JC will help continue, and perhaps accelerate, the gentrification of many areas outside of DTJC.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Agreed. It's not just that the Jersey City cabs are filthy cars that barely hold together, there are none around when you need one and no phone numbers to call. Uber works very well in Jersey City, where you can't typically just walk out on the street and find a cab when you need one. In Manhattan, where cabs are all over the place, in far better shape and modernized, I have little or no need for Uber.

For all these cabs in Jersey City that have a problem with Uber - what am I supposed to do when it's pouring rain outside and there are no cabs in sight? Rather than whine to city hall, fix up your cabs and create your own app people can use to summon one of you, much like they've done in Philadelphia, New York (designed by Uber, I might add) and a few other smaller cities.

Not to mention that every time I get into a Jersey City taxi nowadays, they claim their meter is broken and try to arbitrarily make up a fare, until I tell them that city regulations state I don't have to pay if the meter never gets turned on. Then the meter gets fixed in about two seconds.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/16 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
I don't believe there is anything on the books locally that prevents taxi drivers from also driving for Uber. I've seen it done elsewhere. If that is what the market is, that's what it is - you can choose to participate or step aside. No amount of unionizing and foot stomping is going to change that.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Jersey City cab drivers want mayor to take on Uber

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
November 16, 2015 at 11:43 AM

JERSEY CITY — Safwat Ali says driving a taxi in Jersey City is "very, very bad."

Not heading into sketchy neighborhoods or picking up rowdy passengers late at night. No, the real enemy is ride-sharing.

"Uber is taking all the business," said Ali, 49, who can be found afternoons waiting for passengers at the Grove Street taxi stand.

Ali's complaint is echoed by taxi drivers across Jersey City — there are 235 registered with the city — and they are taking the fight to City Hall. The response?

"Nothing. Zero," said Aboelhamd Azer, who owns three taxis. "City says, 'We can't control Uber.'"

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ayor_to_take_on_uber.html

Osborne said if the taxi industry had been filling consumers' needs ? providing cheaper rates, cleaner cars ? "there'd be no need for Uber." JC cabs are about as clean as a port-a-potty after all day music festival.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY — Safwat Ali says driving a taxi in Jersey City is "very, very bad."

Not heading into sketchy neighborhoods or picking up rowdy passengers late at night. No, the real enemy is ride-sharing.

"Uber is taking all the business," said Ali, 49, who can be found afternoons waiting for passengers at the Grove Street taxi stand.

Ali's complaint is echoed by taxi drivers across Jersey City — there are 235 registered with the city — and they are taking the fight to City Hall. The response?

"Nothing. Zero," said Aboelhamd Azer, who owns three taxis. "City says, 'We can't control Uber.'"

Tried to give a cabbie biz last week. got in, asked him to take me about 8 blocks in DTJC. he told me $12. I laughed and got out. The Uber was 5 and change and I gave the driver 2 extra. Sorry smelly cabs.

Posted on: 2015/11/16 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/16 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Taxi medallion price list website: