Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Can we keep our JC landlines? or is Verizon allowed to eliminate due to their "monopoly"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

richkiamco wrote:
did you have electricity when Sandy hit [and you had fiber]? Verizon said that fiber would only have an 8hr battery-

we did not get electricity back for several days

I hooked up a generator about an hour after the power went out. It was enough to run a fridge, freezer, TV, internet, and the boiler (for hot water). I was out for about ten days.

I needed the internet more than the phone.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 13:34

Re: Can we keep our JC landlines? or is Verizon allowed to eliminate due to their "monopoly"
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/11 7:58
From Jersey City WEST SIDE
Group:
Registered Users
did you have electricity when Sandy hit [and you had fiber]? Verizon said that fiber would only have an 8hr battery-

we did not get electricity back for several days

Posted on: 2015/11/5 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Rich, It happened to me too. there is no choice either than cable or fios, neither of which will be stable or in service in an emergency. So I too had to give up my landline which worked during storms, blackouts, etc.

With FIOS they have to wire inside your house which may involve drilling through walls to string the wire. They have some unattractive molding to cover the wire, there is also a thinner wire they can run.

I went with cable voice.

There is a case or complaint against them, but since you are given 30 days from the date of the cancellation letter, you have to hurriedly find a cable or fios so as not to lose your phone number and service. there is no time to wait for the outcome of challenges.

None of the carriers support copper landlines anymore.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I migrated my landline to fiber when I upgraded to FIOS years back. The landline worked fine during Sandy when Verizon's wireless system was still down.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
they are phasing out copper across the board. it is at no cost to you. they will install and upgrade you and you should be able to keep the same services and prices as before. they are not maintaining their copper lines anymore and doing away with them. any provider still dealing with copper is most likely reselling vz services. this is not really about a monopoly just technology moving forward.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 19:51
Censorship is for pussies!!!!

Can we keep our JC landlines? or is Verizon allowed to eliminate due to their "monopoly"
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/11 7:58
From Jersey City WEST SIDE
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone else still have a landline from Verizon in JC? or does anyone have a landline period [ thats NOT with Verizon] ?

Verizon just suspended my landline and said they need me to consent to "migrating to fiber" which will come with an 8hour battery in case of poweroutages. During Hurricane Sandy my landline was the only thing working for weeks that allowed communication. i only keep it for emergencies and for security alarm system.

Are there other providers that i can have for my landline, or is this a monopoly and we have no choice?
Anyone have info?
thanks

Posted on: 2015/11/4 19:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017