Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Please Help Prato Bakery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
NEWS FLASH....PRATO BAKERY IS CLOSING AT THE END OF 2017!!!

Their lease was not renewed and as a result they are moving to a different location in Jersey City with more foot traffic.

I am soooo proud that the neighbors in the community and Harsimus Cove made sure the zoning board understood their grievances were about quality of life and privacy against the buildings landlord and not about Prato, coffee or baked goods!

BRAVO TO THE HARSIMUS COVE COMMUNITY FOR STANDING YOUR GROUND!

We will be sure to take the same fight to the front lines when a new tenant tries to move in and the landlord tries to do the same thing, although now that the "cafe law" is written in JC code the rules are clearly defined...

Dear Prato - we love your coffee and your baked goods and we do wish you much luck in your new location....it was never about you or your products. It was always about your landlord who we punched in the nuts for their douchiness... Prato was dragged into it because the landlord was not honest with you about the zoning laws before you moved in.

The landlord figured that because they are tight with the Mayor they could bully their way through without heading to the zoning laws and they used Prato to try and get their way. Good for you Prato for moving to a better location...!

Epic fail by the landlord!! (we're watching you)

Good luck Prato!!

To be continued...

XOXO

Congratulations Harsimus Cove...

Posted on: 2017/7/26 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 18:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
NEWS FLASH....PRATO BAKERY IS CLOSING AT THE END OF 2017!!!

Their lease was not renewed and as a result they are moving to a different location in Jersey City with more foot traffic.

I am soooo proud that the neighbors in the community and Harsimus Cove made sure the zoning board understood their grievances were about quality of life and privacy against the buildings landlord and not about Prato, coffee or baked goods!

BRAVO TO THE HARSIMUS COVE COMMUNITY FOR STANDING YOUR GROUND!

We will be sure to take the same fight to the front lines when a new tenant tries to move in and the landlord tries to do the same thing, although now that the "cafe law" is written in JC code the rules are clearly defined...

Dear Prato - we love your coffee and your baked goods and we do wish you much luck in your new location....it was never about you or your products. It was always about your landlord who we punched in the nuts for their douchiness... Prato was dragged into it because the landlord was not honest with you about the zoning laws before you moved in.

The landlord figured that because they are tight with the Mayor they could bully their way through without heading to the zoning laws and they used Prato to try and get their way. Good for you Prato for moving to a better location...!

Epic fail by the landlord!! (we're watching you)

Good luck Prato!!

To be continued...

XOXO

Posted on: 2017/7/26 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Just got more info. from the Harsimus Cover Neighborhood Association. Prato got 34 INDOOR seats, instead of 20, not outdoor seating. Remains a Cafe.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
So what happened? I don't understand this action report from the Zoning board. Can someone involved in the community advocacy/or who was there explain this? Do they get outdoor seating or not? (see bold for decision)

Case: Z15-030

Applicant: 61 Erie Street Associates, LLC

Address: 61 Erie Street

Attorney: Rita Mary McKenna, Esq

Block: 11105 Lot: 18

Zone: H ? Harsimus Cove Historic District

For: Conversion of a retail space into a Category 2 restaurant or in the alternative Relief from a conditional variance for a Category 2, Restaurant to exceed maximum seating

?d? Variances: Use, Conditional Use

Decision: (d) 3 Approved: relief from condition ?d? of cafe, Category 2 Restaurant

It says approved so I imagine Prato got what they wanted.

That's EXACTLY what it says: the application is approved by granting relief from the provisions/limitations of "condition d" of their current zoning.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome! now can we put this to bed.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
So what happened? I don't understand this action report from the Zoning board. Can someone involved in the community advocacy/or who was there explain this? Do they get outdoor seating or not? (see bold for decision)

For: Conversion of a retail space into a Category 2 restaurant or in the alternative Relief from a conditional variance for a Category 2, Restaurant to exceed maximum seating

Decision: (d) 3 Approved: relief from condition ?d? of cafe, Category 2 Restaurant

It says approved so I imagine Prato got what they wanted.

Posted on: 2016/1/8 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/8 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
On January 7 Zoning agenda....

Posted on: 2016/1/4 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
.....and adjourned to January 7, 2016.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Mao, no one is shutting down Prato....

Well said.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Hmmm, the building, which appears to be about the age of most of the historic district, was clearly built with a commercial use for the first floor in mind.

Seems highly unlikely. The renovations over the years just make it look that way.

Quote:
The owners have done a beautiful job fixing it up.

They did an OK job with the building, and Prato looks nice. That doesn't give them the right to do whatever they want, with no regard for the neighbors.

Quote:
Moreover, this is not some big corporation or some rich guys who put together an investment restaurant- this is a family business with children to feed.

So what? Since when do small businesses get to run roughshod over zoning laws?

Quote:
What could possibly be the problem?

1) Using the backyard for seating will be noisy and inconvenient for the neighbors.

2) Once the space is rezoned to serve alcohol, it could easily turn into one of those "bars thinly disguised as a restaurant" spots. No thanks.

Quote:
If a nuisance developed, e.g. loud throbbing music, drunks blocking the sidewalk and urinating while they smoked their pot and cigarettes, well that could be addressed.

Uh, hello? By then, it's too late. Once the zoning is changed, it's over. Nor should anyone wait until their neighborhood is damaged before taking action.

Quote:
The people next door are the luckiest because they get to smell the baking and roll out of bed to buy them piping hot.

Yes, they are so lucky. It's not like the developer unlawfully built on part of their backyard, or agreed not to allow commercial activity in the backyard and then egregiously violated that agreement, or like Prato stores tons of food trash in the alley, or that the developer/owner has been sued twice over this stuff.

Oh, wait....

Quote:
I'm a right wing Tea Party nut (according to this board). But one of the things I could not stand about the suburb where I was born was how agitated and hysterical homeowners became about the littlest thing. Lo and behold, it worse here in hip JC.

Why did you think it would be otherwise? Urban residents often defend their turf; resistance to change can reach epic levels. It's much more dense, so changes make a bigger difference than in a suburb.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mao, no one is shutting down Prato. By all means, inhale the aroma. They have been asked to do what everone else has been asked to do. Either live within the zoning regs of your property, or apply for a a variance. And that's what they're doing. It's a public hearing so I am letting people who may not be on the City's mailing list for these notices know.

JCishome, no, no one is alarmed a bakery has opened. Prato has a big following and that's great. They do however have to abide by local regulations until such time as the City says they don't. If you have an opinion on the matter, show up at the hearing.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Good lord. A few short years ago the opening of ANY business was a cause for celebration in Jersey City. Now we're getting particular about what KIND of business opens. What's next, saying what nationalities of people are allowed in at all?

Oh, wait.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users

Hmmm, the building, which appears to be about the age of most of the historic district, was clearly built with a commercial use for the first floor in mind. The owners have done a beautiful job fixing it up. Moreover, this is not some big corporation or some rich guys who put together an investment restaurant- this is a family business with children to feed. What could possibly be the problem? Perhaps there could be a limit on the use of the patio, e.g. no music and it closes down by 10:00 PM.

If a nuisance developed, e.g. loud throbbing music, drunks blocking the sidewalk and urinating while they smoked their pot and cigarettes, well that could be addressed.

Also, one of the definite charms of a neighborhood like this is that gems like Prato are, if one is lucky, hidden in different places around it. The people next door are the luckiest because they get to smell the baking and roll out of bed to buy them piping hot.

I'm a right wing Tea Party nut (according to this board). But one of the things I could not stand about the suburb where I was born was how agitated and hysterical homeowners became about the littlest thing. Lo and behold, it worse here in hip JC.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 20:19

Prato Bakery - Zoning Board again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone following this item, Prato is once again seeking a variance at the Board of Adjustment on Thursday, December 10. Item 13, application for "d" variance.

Posted on: 2015/12/8 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just received the agenda for the November 12 meeting and i don't see this item.

Posted on: 2015/11/9 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Opinion of one guy from the neighborhood: let them have indoor, but not outdoor seating. done and done.

... definitely would not want new outdoor seating if I was a Tennant/property downer around the back of Prato.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Don't no one rat them out!! Do not answer user1111's question publically, do it PM if you must. I like my after hours bars

I go clubbing, lounging after hours in NYC and JC . The spots I go to in JC stay open till 7 am but they are no where near peoples houses or apartments they are mostly held in industrial areas where they should be.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'm all in favor of additional expansion of commercial enterprise and restaurants and everything, and taller buildings. But I hope Prato gets shut down. The city needs to stop giving variances and re-zoning to everybody that comes crawling over.

If Prato wanted to open a restaurant, they should have done their homework and found a place that was zoned properly. The people that moved to that block did so knowing that there was not a restaurant with backyard seating, and all of a sudden there will be a bunch of noise in their backyard every night just because Prato didn't do their homework?

Same goes with all these developers asking for variances to build taller otherwise they can't make any money. I would like to see JC buildings go taller, but it's not our damn problem if you paid too much for your land! Do your research ahead of time and make a plan that will make you money, rather than buying in and then bitching about how you need a variance.

I'd be in favor of this IF the zoning code was amended and made more flexible and there wasn't such a great need for variances.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Don't no one rat them out!! Do not answer user1111's question publically, do it PM if you must. I like my after hours bar.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Mike1234 wrote:

This same establishment also could care less when we would call at 3 am on a Thursday to say it was too loud. Or at 4 am on a Tuesday.

Do you live in Jersey City? Which bar stays open until 3 and 4 am on a weekday? Bars are closed in Jersey City at 2 am on a weekday and 3 am on the weekend.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all in favor of additional expansion of commercial enterprise and restaurants and everything, and taller buildings. But I hope Prato gets shut down. The city needs to stop giving variances and re-zoning to everybody that comes crawling over.

If Prato wanted to open a restaurant, they should have done their homework and found a place that was zoned properly. The people that moved to that block did so knowing that there was not a restaurant with backyard seating, and all of a sudden there will be a bunch of noise in their backyard every night just because Prato didn't do their homework?

Same goes with all these developers asking for variances to build taller otherwise they can't make any money. I would like to see JC buildings go taller, but it's not our damn problem if you paid too much for your land! Do your research ahead of time and make a plan that will make you money, rather than buying in and then bitching about how you need a variance.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mike1234 wrote:

This same establishment also could care less when we would call at 3 am on a Thursday to say it was too loud. Or at 4 am on a Tuesday.

Do you live in Jersey City? Which bar stays open until 3 and 4 am on a weekday? Bars are closed in Jersey City at 2 am on a weekday and 3 am on the weekend.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know the science of sound but the noise from my backyard is actually louder on the 4th floor than on street level. What sounds like normal conversation from one yard to another gets increasingly louder as it rises. Perhaps the sound echoes off all the other buildings in the back?

No, it's a problem. And whether Prato can manage the backyard noise, the next tenant may not or may not care.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 17:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/4 14:19
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
While I do really like Prato bakery, I did previously live above a place that put in outdoor seating and started hiring DJs. When I complained to friends I got a response of "well, it is above a bar".... when they came to visit though, they all said "oh, now I get it.... how are they so loud???"

I should also mention we lived on the 4th floor, and with all the windows closed could still feel the floor shake from the bass and in our front room we could still hear people shouting from the back yard.

This same establishment also could care less when we would call at 3 am on a Thursday to say it was too loud. Or at 4 am on a Tuesday. Both of which would regularly happen.

And still unless people actually came over to our apartment to experience it, they didn't understand why we "couldn't deal with a little noise"

So I am sympathetic with a resident who lives in an area not zoned for outdoor seating who doesn't want the noise from outdoor seating or their current quiet home life disrupted.

And I know this is just a bakery, not a full service restaurant that will be open late, but I just wanted to point out how a seemingly harmless outdoor seating area could be unreasonably disruptive to the neighbors. And you wouldn't know it unless you lived there.

That being said, I hope that Prato can continue in a way that is respectful to their neighbors.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Adjourned to November 12

Eagerly waiting the outcome. Also, can't wait to hear the position of Devyn Manibo with her "Go Home Yuppie Scum" and "Go get brunch somewhere else" philosophies has to say about this. Wonder what has become of her great campaign anyway.

LMFAO

Posted on: 2015/11/1 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Adjourned to November 12

Eagerly waiting the outcome. Also, can't wait to hear the position of Devyn Manibo with her "Go Home Yuppie Scum" and "Go get brunch somewhere else" philosophies has to say about this. Wonder what has become of her great campaign anyway.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Adjourned to November 12

Posted on: 2015/10/30 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
So what happened? Was the big bad evil restaurant that was to be at 61 Erie Street stopped?

Posted on: 2015/10/30 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
i totally support it.

Show up tonight at City Hall and let your voice be heard.

Here is tonight's Board of Adjustment agenda (6:30pm at City Council chambers in City Hall). Prato is item #13.

http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedF ... d_Agenda/zb102915.agn.pdf

Posted on: 2015/10/29 21:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
i totally support it.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 19:52