Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Please Help Prato Bakery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Let's just throw out all the zoning laws. We're so close to that anyway.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 22:56

Re: NO RESTAURANT AT 61 ERIE STREET
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
This person apparently didn't learn from their first post about this. The hysteria is laughable and detracts from actual issues.

Seriously, lol at some of this shit.

That said, it is pretty silly that prato seems to continue to put the cart before the horse. If they wanted a restaurant so bad, why the hell did they open up shop in a location not zoned for it? It's not exactly as if Erie is a street with a ton of traffic - foot or car - in the prime dinner hours, or even lunch tbqh. Why screw with everything instead of just picking a better location?

Right? It's like the Prato people thought, "maybe if we just get a toe-hold..."

But then, they've got traction on this zoning ordinance, so maybe they're not so silly after all.

As a neighbor who will be sandwiched evenly between Bell & Grey and whatever bar Prato becomes in the future, this zoning change will not please me AT ALL.

And this time the OP isn't that over-the-top in his/her hysteria. Newark Ave has become a real sh*tshow overnight, with the first block of Erie hot on its douchebaggy heels.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I don't think Rustique Pizza , Dames Coffee Bar or Ahri's Korean Foods which are also in your neighborhood are generating fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins. Should they be banned or restricted too?

Give them time. :D

On a more serious note, Dames and Rustique are on Jersey, which is a fairly busy street. Dames is also near existing commercial storefronts. They aren't too out of character with the neighborhood.

Ahri's is a little more appropriate rejoinder. Seems quiet enough.

Still, I'm not thrilled by the zoning change. It's not about Prato, it's about the possibility that they could be replaced by a real bar at some future date. I think if Ahri's closed, and a bar took its place, the neighbors might be less thrilled.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors, etc

I for one do not support the zoning change for Prato. IMO it's out of character for a small residential neighborhood.

But squeeq... you really need to take it down a notch. It is definitely not helping your position.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
This person apparently didn't learn from their first post about this. The hysteria is laughable and detracts from actual issues.

Seriously, lol at some of this shit.

That said, it is pretty silly that prato seems to continue to put the cart before the horse. If they wanted a restaurant so bad, why the hell did they open up shop in a location not zoned for it? It's not exactly as if Erie is a street with a ton of traffic - foot or car - in the prime dinner hours, or even lunch tbqh. Why screw with everything instead of just picking a better location?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when White Star on Brunswick was moving forward with outdoor seating. Then they got outdoor seating.

It was as eventful as that.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors,

Please help us send a clear message to The Jersey City Zoning Board that we are not comfortable with a full scale restaurant at 61 Erie Street. We do however, support Prato, a small neighborhood bakery and cafe with interior seating, which is a quaint gathering place for the neighborhood - this is what the location should be approved for.

A full restaurant at 61 Erie Street is not in the best interest of the Historic Harsimus Cove community; remember: a variance is attached to the property: not the business. If Prato were to close there are few limits as to what kind of a restaurant could take over and we can never stop it once it is approved.

If 61 Erie Street is approved for a restaurant it will bridge with Newark Avenue where fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins have become a problem. We do not want this in our neighborhood!

If a restaurant is approved at 61 Erie Street then what's to stop any current deli, bakery, or vacant retail space from becoming a full category 2 restaurant anywhere within our communities? An approval for a restaurant in the middle of a neighborhood would not bring any benefit to the communities.

I don't think Rustique Pizza , Dames Coffee Bar or Ahri's Korean Foods which are also in your neighborhood are generating fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins. Should they be banned or restricted too?

Food fights perhaps?

*womp womp*

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What next? Murals on walls???

Oh, wait...

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
KEEP RESTAURANTS OUT OF CITIES!! THE FOOD! THE COFFEE! FOOD SMELLS! THE HORROR!

GET RID OF THOSE EVIL TREES! AND CANCEL CHRISTMAS!

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:

Please help us and get involved because your voice and your opinion does matter!

you should go tell all your friends. oh wait

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Fomite wrote:

GET RID OF THOSE EVIL TREES! AND CANCEL CHRISTMAS!

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors,

Please help us send a clear message to The Jersey City Zoning Board that we are not comfortable with a full scale restaurant at 61 Erie Street. We do however, support Prato, a small neighborhood bakery and cafe with interior seating, which is a quaint gathering place for the neighborhood - this is what the location should be approved for.

A full restaurant at 61 Erie Street is not in the best interest of the Historic Harsimus Cove community; remember: a variance is attached to the property: not the business. If Prato were to close there are few limits as to what kind of a restaurant could take over and we can never stop it once it is approved.

If 61 Erie Street is approved for a restaurant it will bridge with Newark Avenue where fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins have become a problem. We do not want this in our neighborhood!

If a restaurant is approved at 61 Erie Street then what's to stop any current deli, bakery, or vacant retail space from becoming a full category 2 restaurant anywhere within our communities? An approval for a restaurant in the middle of a neighborhood would not bring any benefit to the communities.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I think some of your fears are a bit over the top (and you are doing a disservice to your cause by being so hyperbolic), but I certainly understand why residents on that street would be weary of this. Especially if you live in that or one of the adjacent buildings.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
"If 61 Erie Street is approved for a restaurant it will bridge with Newark Avenue where fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins have become a problem. We do not want this in our neighborhood!"

OMG I can't stop laughing.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users

You are kidding right?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:

If 61 Erie Street is approved for a restaurant it will bridge with Newark Avenue where fights, noise, drunken behavior and car break-ins have become a problem.

Huh?

Does the approval include moving 61 Erie Street three blocks south?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 19:56

NO RESTAURANT AT 61 ERIE STREET

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 18:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Neighbors,

Please help us to keep the retail space at 61 Erie Street from being granted a level "d" schedule 2 variance to operate as a full scale restaurant.

A hearing regarding the approval of a use variance for a full scale restaurant to operate at 61 Erie street will take place tomorrow before the Zoning Board of Adjustment:

The Meeting Date is:
Thursday October 29th at 6:30 pm in the City Council Chambers, 2nd floor of City Hall

It has come to our attention that the owners of 61 Erie Street (location of Prato Bakery) have recently filed an application to request a Category 2 Restaurant Use Variance. The owners are trying to acquire a zoning variance for a full scale restaurant which would allow for greatly expanded in-door seating, rear yard seating, curb side seating, additional ovens and exhaust pipes and vents and allow for the serving of liquor.

61 Erie Street is the current location of a quiet community bakery with plans for seating inside. The bakery-retail use has already been approved by the Historic Preservation Commission and the Zoning Officials.

61 Erie Street is NOT zoned for a restaurant use and it is surrounded by a quite neighborhood of tree lined streets and well kept historic townhouses. Why aren't the owners of 61 Erie Street, 61 Erie Street Associates LLC (not Prato) asking for approval of a cafe use which would be a welcome addition to the neighborhood and would allow Prato to continue to operate and benefit our community with expanded seating amenities inside the cafe?

If 61 Erie Street Association, LLC is approved for a Category 2 Restaurant then there is the potential for strain on our residential neighborhood including increased noise, safety concerns, access to surrounding yards, increased foot traffic, trash and food smells.

Please call the Jersey City Division of City Planning at: 201-547-5010 or 201-547-5050 and ask to speak with staff of the Zoning Board of Adjustment for more information and to voice your concerns now before it?s too late!

Please help us and get involved because your voice and your opinion does matter!

Join us on Thursday 10/29 at 6:30pm in City Hall

Posted on: 2015/10/28 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It all makes sense now...

Prato turned away JCIA sanitation workers looking for a free cannoli and JCIA stuck the building inspectors on them like they threatened to do to Pint.

Basterds. JK

Posted on: 2015/9/7 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's kind of warm in there so a bit reluctant in ordering any item with meat or cheese after it has been sitting on the shelf all day long.

Posted on: 2015/8/31 21:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I'll add one more comment about the inconsistency. I love Prato's focaccia sandwiches, but I went there yesterday for a late lunch, and the bread on the sandwiches looked at least twice as thick as it had been on my previous visits. I decided to still order the Siena, but I was disappointed. When the meat/cheese/tomato are sliced so thin, the bread needs to be thin as well.

This was the first time I had any sort of "issue", but if I go back and see the sandwiches looking like they did yesterday, I certainly won't be ordering just to be disappointed again.

Posted on: 2015/8/31 21:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/16 20:24
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I LOVED Prato when their first opened. Unfortunately it seems like their quality is VERY inconsistent lately. I've seen burnt cornettos, rock hard cookies and focaccia. Some of these issues are easily remedied by quality control. I know it sucks to throw out a whole batch of something, but you can't just serve burnt pastries.

Posted on: 2015/8/31 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
I also have been loving and buying their almond cookies since they opened. I bought a pound of them yesterday to take to a dinner party, and i was raving about them, but they were hard as rocks. I was really embarrassed. Guests were saying they 'were really tasty', but they were only being polite. It was sad.

Posted on: 2015/8/31 0:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
I have been here a bunch of times to get their margherita pizza squares. They were really good the first handful of times, but the last two times have been sodden and inedible, so laden with oil that I had to throw them away.

I think it's in part because of the way they display them on an angle, so all of the oil runs downhill and collects in the bottom few pieces, but I don't plan on going back any time soon, which is too bad.

Posted on: 2015/8/30 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
I went this morning, and yes, I enjoy the bread very much, but enough is enough with the cheesy music blasting at 9 AM. I could not get out of there FAST enough. Why Why Why do they feel they need LOUD music, PRATO, please reply.

It's the kids...they don't get it. A few words with the owner or maybe even sending them a link to this website will give them food for thought. There should be certain kinds of music for each day of the week and time of day. The music should go with the d?cor of the atmosphere being projected in the business. I see this at many places a few words to the wise can change the game quickly.

Posted on: 2015/8/30 11:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
I went this morning, and yes, I enjoy the bread very much, but enough is enough with the cheesy music blasting at 9 AM. I could not get out of there FAST enough. Why Why Why do they feel they need LOUD music, PRATO, please reply.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 18:57

Re: F Prato Bakery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
I mean, it's been painfully obvious through simple common sense that yea, I am the superior person in these particular exchanges, but that's mainly because the communication skills exhibited by the pair of you has been so woefully low that your average high schooler looks like Einstein in comparison. When the bar is so low, any person who exhibits the slightest amount of normalcy ends up looking like gold.

Let's get back to the original rant that derailed this thread. Maybe either of you bird-named folks can elucidate here.

I'll paraphrase for brevity's sake.
{owlie} i hate the options in jc. hoboken is much better because of reasons that aren't really even accurate. had to go to WF & TJ in edgewater saturday.

{me} this makes no sense. here are 3 options: oddball vegetables/fish. standard anti-shoprite person with not-so-vaguely racist/classist views. hate money.

{owlie} omg ur a mean racist wtf i don't do either 1 or 2

{other person} don't forget butcher

{me} good point on the butcher. not what owlie said, but good answer. clearly his/her answer is 3.

Let's end there for the moment. Ignore the flouncing and attempts to rewrite what was actually typed out.

So. In the interest of having a simple conversation and putting aside your inability to type out coherent sentences that work with the sentences typed earlier, I posit a simple question... what is it about the WF/TJ that would make you want to leave the confines of DTJC to schlep a good half-hour to an hour each way to get groceries?

I can think of (now) 4 answers to this question. Five if you simply mis-spoke/typed and that line of "I had to go to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Edgewater Saturday." does not mean what it says.

oh. my. god. STAHP.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's past your bedtime, child, and Sam did it better

Posted on: 2015/8/21 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
ah, the tired response from the children. they say something stupid, then cry when they get called on it.

absolutely, i'm combative, zerkski. my tolerance levels for stupidity are very low. it's like what the mta wants, you see something? say something.

i've got no problems having a spirited debate, but as we've obviously seen from the kids who can't do anything but spout bullshit and whine when it gets pointed out, the debate becomes one sided. once again, someone (clearly not these morons) made a perfectly valid point to which i promptly said "that's a good answer". all the other crap has been a hill of turds.

in this case, i've been reduced to speaking to someone channeling peewee herman with his "i know you are but what am i?" schtick. sad i let myself be dragged down to that level of childishness. one of these days, they'll grow up to the point where they're able to string coherent thoughts into sentences.

or i'll just get too tired to talk to adults who couldn't find their ass with a map.

probably the latter.

The cats nestle close to their kittens,
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You are cozy and warm in your bed, my dear.
Please go the fuck to sleep.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ah, the tired response from the children. they say something stupid, then cry when they get called on it.

absolutely, i'm combative, zerkski. my tolerance levels for stupidity are very low. it's like what the mta wants, you see something? say something.

i've got no problems having a spirited debate, but as we've obviously seen from the kids who can't do anything but spout bullshit and whine when it gets pointed out, the debate becomes one sided. once again, someone (clearly not these morons) made a perfectly valid point to which i promptly said "that's a good answer". all the other crap has been a hill of turds.

in this case, i've been reduced to speaking to someone channeling peewee herman with his "i know you are but what am i?" schtick. sad i let myself be dragged down to that level of childishness. one of these days, they'll grow up to the point where they're able to string coherent thoughts into sentences.

or i'll just get too tired to talk to adults who couldn't find their ass with a map.

probably the latter.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeatrixKiddo wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I said I was going to Edgewater. It's too bad people are "stumped as to what you would need to go there for." I was going for some "oddball" ethnic food that I was raised on

You actually said, and I quote: "I had to go to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Edgewater Saturday. "

New question, what traditional ethnic foods do the TJ's and WF's in edgewater sell that you can't get here? I'm always down for trying something I may not have tried before.

this has grown tiresome.

+1

Seriously. The one thing I feel like downtown is missing is a fresh seafood place, but I have bought seafood from Shop Rite, La Conga and Key Food and haven't died. I don't understand this fucking need for a TJ'S or WF's here. All grocery stores suck as does food shopping and doing laundry. Christ. Also I hate, HATE Prato because of this thread, never been there but don't care. It's not near me so who fucking cares. My god, when you get caught doing something you shouldn't you get punished. Prato has people clamoring for them, if this was a Puerto Rican coffee shop half you would be outside with brooms and burning shit. Ughhhhhhhhh its jersey city you assholes, not smoke rise or Franklin Lakes

YES YES YES!

Posted on: 2015/8/20 17:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Corey...you are delusional in thinking that you are not combative...get a life bro! So tired of all you arguers out there....control that aggressive ego!

Posted on: 2015/8/20 16:57

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017