Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Sign the Petition to Preserve Downtown Resident Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
You guys all know that those zone permit things aren't even enforced, right? That would mean getting out of the Jerking Authority cart and reading the permit carefully. Not an efficient use of time.
I've met lifelong residents who didn't even know you needed the sticker. ha

Wow, that's ignorant. We call in the non permit holders and patrols are out all the time in my neighborhood.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
also if you were doing this for dinner you would already be able to since parking ends at 5 pm (and technically you could park starting at 3:01 so your free 2hrs ended right when the rules ended)

I think that all parking within say 0.3 miles or so of grove st (ie restaurant row/ grove & newark intersection) should be meters with a 2 hr or less limit. Long enough to run into a store and buy something but not long enough to hang out for the day (or just leave your car there regardless of resident parking status)

honestly I give myself about an hour to get into or out of the city because unless you time it perfectly and get a spot right outside the station (and your destination is right outside the PATH) it takes 10 minutes to walk to the station, then 10 minutes of waiting, then 20 minutes to get into city and then 10 minutes to get to your destination = 50 minutes .... you would have to have a really short errand to be able to make it back in time without really pushing it

Part of Osborne's proposal extends zoned parking into the evening hours (til 11 I think).

I want to know why, instead of increasing non-resident parking from 2 to 3 hrs, there isn't instead a plan to craft validation discounts between the mostly empty garage at Grove Pointe and the restaurants. That makes a heck of a lot more sense.

So now it is up to the city to negotiate with private businesses to force them into discounting their services? If restaurants see, hear or believe that having validated parking would increase their revenue and bottom line, they are free to negotiate with area lots for a discounted rate. Apparently, that is not the case.

And back at you - So now its up to the city to make businesses happy by giving extra free street parking for their customers when a large nearby paid garage has plenty of room? If the city stops giving stuff away (in this case extra free parking to non-residents), believe me - the businesses would figure out a validation system and promote the use of the very convenient garage.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Guys:

Really, it's time to get over the food court controversy and move on. (Don't you have anything better to obsess about?)

So here are the facts, for those willing to hear them. (Several of you have shown not be interested in facts in the past, so I'll address those who are.)

1. This plan is being pushed behind the scenes by a few restaurants who feel that Downtown Jersey City homeowners and residents should subsidize their customers' free parking at night. If my motives are as suspect as you seem to think they are, I should be for the plan given that I own a restaurant. But, believe it or not, some people actually push for things that are against their financial interests. Amazing isn't it!

2. Giving out free parking (and in this case giving out MORE free parking) is the exact opposite of what intelligent city planners do. Listen to this Freakonomics podcast.

http://freakonomics.com/2013/03/13/pa ... eakonomics-radio-podcast/

Then take a look at Donald Shoup's book "The High Cost of Free Parking."

It's really an open and shut case. The plan is insane. People WILL park and ride (they're already doing it) and there will be less turn over of spaces.

If it makes it easier of some of you, try to imagine me as the owner of a different pizzeria.

With lots of love,
Aaron

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Anyone ready to sign this should know that the creator is the owner of Two Boots pizza, who famously collaborated with Jeff (drunk owner of the great establishments The Bistro and the Coffeeshop) to push food trucks out of Grove square, so there is a history of putting selfish business interests before those of his fellow JC residents.

I came to say basically this once I realised who's petition it was.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
In anticipation of neighborhood groups developing a parking strategy for visitors, I have the names of two POCs for validated parking. The Morgan and Grove Pointe. If Aaron or any other restaurateur wants them just let me know or they can just walk over to the garages. It took me 10 minutes one day on my way to Shop Rite.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
I support extending the enforcement period to 8PM. I also support starting enforcement.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
You guys all know that those zone permit things aren't even enforced, right? That would mean getting out of the Jerking Authority cart and reading the permit carefully. Not an efficient use of time.
I've met lifelong residents who didn't even know you needed the sticker. ha

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
The proposed changes would, if anything, have the opposite effect of what you're saying. As per slide 4 of the presentation: 3 hour parking would be enforced through 8pm instead of 5pm meaning anyone gaming this system currently can steal a resident's parking spot as early as 3:01pm instead of the proposed 5:01pm. This leaves more time for commuters to get home and claim their spots.

Resized Image

It is highly unlikely that anyone day-tripping into Manhattan for shopping or lunch will be able to: find a street parking space, walk to the path, ride the path, walk to their destination, enjoy their activity, and then make the train trip back in less that 3 hours.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone ready to sign this should know that the creator is the owner of Two Boots pizza, who famously collaborated with Jeff (drunk owner of the great establishments The Bistro and the Coffeeshop) to push food trucks out of Grove square, so there is a history of putting selfish business interests before those of his fellow JC residents.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
also if you were doing this for dinner you would already be able to since parking ends at 5 pm (and technically you could park starting at 3:01 so your free 2hrs ended right when the rules ended)

I think that all parking within say 0.3 miles or so of grove st (ie restaurant row/ grove & newark intersection) should be meters with a 2 hr or less limit. Long enough to run into a store and buy something but not long enough to hang out for the day (or just leave your car there regardless of resident parking status)

honestly I give myself about an hour to get into or out of the city because unless you time it perfectly and get a spot right outside the station (and your destination is right outside the PATH) it takes 10 minutes to walk to the station, then 10 minutes of waiting, then 20 minutes to get into city and then 10 minutes to get to your destination = 50 minutes .... you would have to have a really short errand to be able to make it back in time without really pushing it

Part of Osborne's proposal extends zoned parking into the evening hours (til 11 I think).

I want to know why, instead of increasing non-resident parking from 2 to 3 hrs, there isn't instead a plan to craft validation discounts between the mostly empty garage at Grove Pointe and the restaurants. That makes a heck of a lot more sense.

So now it is up to the city to negotiate with private businesses to force them into discounting their services? If restaurants see, hear or believe that having validated parking would increase their revenue and bottom line, they are free to negotiate with area lots for a discounted rate. Apparently, that is not the case.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:

Exactly my point. Nobody is using free, street parking in DTJC for the day to go shopping or dining in Manhattan. It's just not reasonable, or logical. Yes, you can do so in the evening, or late afternoon (if you time it like you pointed out) but there is no way anyone here can claim that DTJC is getting overrun with people doing that.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/26 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/26 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

AMo wrote:
Hi,

Some of you may already know that Councilwoman Osborne has submitted for City Council approval, a plan to extend free, non- resident parking from two to three hours in the Downtown. This plan will not only turn the Downtown into a massive "park and ride" lot where out-of-towners park and hop on the PATH train to shop and dine in Manhattan (three hours is plenty of time), but will reduce parking space turnover, meaning spots will open up less often for residents. The plan defies common sense and everything we know about curb-side parking. (See Shoup, The High Cost of Fee Parking).

If you disagree with this plan, please sign the following petition. Time is of the essence!

https://www.change.org/p/councilwoman- ... ition&utm_medium=copylink

Spoken like a true Chicken Little!! Increasing non zoned parking from two to three hours is going to turn downtown into a "massive park and ride lot"? Hysterical much?!

How on Earth is that going to be so? You park, then walk to Grove St, wait for PATH, ride into city, then scarf down your meal, walk back to PATH, wait again, ride back to JC, and then back to you car, and you say this would be the norm and three hours is plenty of time!? Maybe if dining at the hot dog cart.

If Aaron Morrill, owner of Two Boots, had his way, he'd ban hot dog carts in NYC so you'd eat at his pizza joint instead. Just like he banned the food trucks from Grove St. square.

I don't see why we'd need to increase the limit from 2 hours to 3 - but methinks Two Boots is afraid of food trucks parking for an extra hour.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
Hi,

Some of you may already know that Councilwoman Osborne has submitted for City Council approval, a plan to extend free, non- resident parking from two to three hours in the Downtown. This plan will not only turn the Downtown into a massive "park and ride" lot where out-of-towners park and hop on the PATH train to shop and dine in Manhattan (three hours is plenty of time), but will reduce parking space turnover, meaning spots will open up less often for residents. The plan defies common sense and everything we know about curb-side parking. (See Shoup, The High Cost of Fee Parking).

If you disagree with this plan, please sign the following petition. Time is of the essence!

Spoken like a true Chicken Little!! Increasing non zoned parking from two to three hours is going to turn downtown into a "massive park and ride lot"? Hysterical much?!

How on Earth is that going to be so? You park, then walk to Grove St, wait for PATH, ride into city, then scarf down your meal, walk back to PATH, wait again, ride back to JC, and then back to you car, and you say this would be the norm and three hours is plenty of time!? Maybe if dining at the hot dog cart.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 20:33

Sign the Petition to Preserve Downtown Resident Parking
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

Posted on: 2015/10/26 19:38

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017