Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City announces plan to plant 2,020 trees citywide by year 2020
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Sure, my point is that these measures are totally feasible. It aint the 1970s, anymore, Yvonne.

Two years ago, the city laid a tree using a simple curb cut virtually on top of my gas and sewer line. And less than 3 feet away from my neighbor's laterals. Plus the mains are within 3 feet of the curb.

I don't assume the DPW or contractors laying the trees know what they are doing.

Yvonne is raising valid concerns on this issue - 70's or not.

Just last year, the city cut down 5 healthy 40-year old Linden trees along the south side of Manilla, between 1st and 2nd. (The roots had destroyed the sidewalk). They they planted 5 (I think red maple?) trees in their place, and did absolutely nothing to maintain them. Flash-forward one growing season, and 3 of the 5 trees have died.

I too have doubts that the city can or will maintain two thousand new trees.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The trees inside Van Vorst Park were planted after the 1901 tornado that hit Jersey City. My late mother-in-law had a Jersey Journal article in her possession. This article probably came from her mother or other family member since she was not yet born. Many of those trees are over 100 years old and should be check by Public Works to make sure there is no rot to cause any tree to fall.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Sure, my point is that these measures are totally feasible. It aint the 1970s, anymore, Yvonne.

Two years ago, the city laid a tree using a simple curb cut virtually on top of my gas and sewer line. And less than 3 feet away from my neighbor's laterals. Plus the mains are within 3 feet of the curb.

I don't assume the DPW or contractors laying the trees know what they are doing.

Yvonne is raising valid concerns on this issue - 70's or not.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The issue of not having enough personnel in Public Works is important. This is a specialized skill cutting down trees. The city spends a lot of money outsourcing through contracts. Luckily, most of the trees that fall down are inside parks but a tree did fall last year on Skillman Avenue, crushing a car with no one inside. You cannot add to the tree inventory without the proper personnel to take care of trees. Certain council people have been complaining the city is ignoring dangerous trees in their wards but nothing has happened.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only way things can change if the city would move the water, sewerage, and gas lines. Since this did not happen, then things did not change.

Or, just select the correct trees for sidewalk planting. But hey, don't hesitate to assume the worst even after being provided logic and facts.

It's not simply selecting the correct trees. It's also about having the right placement policy. Away from utilities, power lines, intersections, traffic signs...

Most experts recommend planting any tree 2-3 yards away from any utility or building - and that is nearly impossible on most residential blocks downtown - given the placement of both laterals and mains.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content ... ing-trees-and-shrubs.html

Posted on: 2015/10/25 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only way things can change if the city would move the water, sewerage, and gas lines. Since this did not happen, then things did not change.

Or, just select the correct trees for sidewalk planting. But hey, don't hesitate to assume the worst even after being provided logic and facts.

It's not simply selecting the correct trees. It's also about having the right placement policy. Away from utilities, power lines, intersections, traffic signs...

Most experts recommend planting any tree 2-3 yards away from any utility or building - and that is nearly impossible on most residential blocks downtown - given the placement of both laterals and mains.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content ... ing-trees-and-shrubs.html

Posted on: 2015/10/25 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You act as though citizens in the 1970s did not ask these questions, of course they did. We got a snowjob from the city claiming these are urban trees with shallow roots and would not grow, only become wider. The non-fruit pear trees were about 6 to 7 feet tall when planted and as you can see some have more than doubled in size. The only way to protect the sidewalks and the expense of replacing broken pipes is to place trees in pots. You are also protecting many people from the pain of broken hips, knees or other body parts when they fall over elevated sidewalks destroyed by trees. When a senior falls, they cannot return to their homes, it is usually a nursing home. This is not about Fulop, this is about trees, I would write this if Healy was still mayor.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Yvonne, if this is such a great idea, can you point us to a major city anywhere in the world that has banned street trees? Is this a place for JC to be world leader? Too many issues get debated like we live in a bubble in space.

I will say the process for them getting planted does suck, the city hires the cheapest contractors who, among other foibles, makes no effort at all to locate utilities and avoid them. But that doesn't lead me to the conclusion "trees BAD!"

Posted on: 2015/10/25 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/25 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/25 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
And you are making the assumption they will not. We were told by the city in the 1970s, the non-fruit pear trees which are planted around Van Vorst Park would not be invasive and would not grow taller only thicker. Both did not happened, the trees grew much taller, hiding homes and the roots invaded water, sewerage, and gas lines.

In the 1970s, there was apparently still parking in JC. Things change, eh? Even including the type of trees you can plant on the street. Imagine that.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One of the things the council is discussing are the contracts and personnel for tree trimmers. There is a major backlog of trees needing to be serviced now. There are not enough people in Public Works to do this job and we are spending a pretty penny on outside contracts. All of this should be part of any program on planting new trees.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
... the trees grew much taller, hiding homes and the roots invaded water, sewerage, and gas lines.

Agree with you on this. I would not want a tree in front of my property. My neighbor had a tree planted virtually on top of my gas, sewage and water lines, and directly under my cabling. The council removed it.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
And you are making the assumption they will not. We were told by the city in the 1970s, the non-fruit pear trees which are planted around Van Vorst Park would not be invasive and would not grow taller only thicker. Both did not happened, the trees grew much taller, hiding homes and the roots invaded water, sewerage, and gas lines.

Where did I make an assumption? I stated a fact that "You can plant trees that do not have invasive roots". I have no clue what type of trees they're using or where they will be planted.

But you of course, as always, assume the WORST.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/25 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess that mean we will have to replace the sidewalks, unless these trees are placed in pots, they will be tearing up the side walks in about 15 years.

You're making an assumption that they will not be planted in open space and you're also assuming the trees used will have invasive roots. Of course, you always assume the worst.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I never said the city should not have trees, I said plant them in open space or put them in planters. We have narrow sidewalks. I know of 6 people who complained about the roots damaging their sidewalk, water, sewerage, and gas lines. The gas line was quite dangerous. It was on Montgomery St facing the property with the curve steps on Van Vorst Park. We were lucky someone did not drop a lit cigarette on the ground which was common then.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Not all trees cause sidewalks to heave. Somewhere in a file cabinet I have a Jersey City zoning manual. It has a list of the types of trees that are allowed (albeit this manual is old and the list may have changed).

If I can find it, I will post the trees allowed. I do know that the dwarf cherry trees are the list. If I remember correctly, so are male Ginkgos (the females give off fruit that smell like death when crushed).

Years back I was planning to add trees to my building. Unfortunately, the placement of a number of utilities didn't make that possible. So I planted bushes instead.

As for putting trees in pots. Not a good idea in colder climates. With a winter like the one we had the past year, there is a good chance that the roots could freeze. Frozen roots can kill a tree.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Maybe I am missing something but alot of the critiques or attacks on Yvonne are really mean spirited.

It's simple. VERY FEW people think treeless residential streets are a great idea. They're bleak and uninviting. The value added to the property far exceeds the maintenance cost to the sidewalk. Container trees cannot fulfill this function, but perhaps trees chosen for deeper root systems can reduce the damage problem.

The reaction to Yvonne is cumulative, her vision of JC resembles a suburb with lots of parking everywhere but without the trees.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Maybe I am missing something but alot of the critiques or attacks on Yvonne are really mean spirited.

It's one thing to rebut her factually or point out flaws in her logic....that comes with the territory when one engages in civic debate.

Yvonne has a point. a tree's growth does and can affect sidewalks, drains...an other infrastructure. Also, many don't want to deal with the expense of maintaing them or the liability they represent.

My dad had a tree in front of his business planted by the city. Yet he was sued by a woman who tripped over a piece of sidewalk that was pushed up by one of it's roots. She was more than happy to sue and try to get money from him.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Yup, people like Yvonne is why many blocks in JC lack any trees at all. But are they the most valuable blocks? Rarely. They're the lovely shaded blocks like Jersey btwn 7ht & 8th.

I planted 2 tree shortly after buying here 18 years ago. The elderly neighbor said "we used to have a tree". "what happened to it?" It fell down". But they never replaced it. Good going.

The issue of tree choices is where JC Parks and Forestry has screwed up big time, as admitted to me by one of their workers. The ornamental Pears and Cherries were terrible choices. The pears are fragile and split easily, the dwarf cherries are too low and sweep people's heads unless properly pruned.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No, Yvonne says, place the trees in large pots so they will not tear up the sidewalks or grow into sewerage/water or gas lines. When you have a backup in your home from the tree roots, the city will not pay that expense, the owner of the property bears that expense.
http://www.paininthedrain.com/roots/

Posted on: 2015/10/25 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was responsible for the tree planting that occurred around Van Vorst Park in the early 1970s. In fifteen years, sidewalks start coming up and several residents complained that the tree roots grew into their water/sewerage or gas lines. Where you see uprooted sidewalks, you have roots doing the damage. I had a tree growing into my sewerage system that caused backup. I know what I am talking about. I have no problems with trees in area that have open space not connected to concrete. The city will never maintain the area once the sidewalks are uplifted and you will have people tripping and falling. These are facts that should be addressed. Put trees in containers.

Yvonne says "F*ck trees".

Posted on: 2015/10/25 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was responsible for the tree planting that occurred around Van Vorst Park in the early 1970s. In fifteen years, sidewalks start coming up and several residents complained that the tree roots grew into their water/sewerage or gas lines. Where you see uprooted sidewalks, you have roots doing the damage. I had a tree growing into my sewerage system that caused backup. I know what I am talking about. I have no problems with trees in area that have open space not connected to concrete. The city will never maintain the area once the sidewalks are uplifted and you will have people tripping and falling. These are facts that should be addressed. Put trees in containers.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I guess that mean we will have to replace the sidewalks, unless these trees are placed in pots, they will be tearing up the side walks in about 15 years.

Only YOU could be negative about planting trees! You can plant trees that do not have invasive roots:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fastgrow ... troy-hardscape-48112.html

Seriously, Yvonne do you even having anything positive to say about anything ever? If Fulop gave you a special permit to park anywhere anytime you'd bitch that he is an awful mayor for giving you special treatment.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Only YOU could be negative about planting trees! You can plant trees that do not have invasive roots:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fastgrow ... troy-hardscape-48112.html

Posted on: 2015/10/24 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/24 20:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/22 19:17
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
While 2,020 trees is obviously better than none, I can't help but compare the effort to NYC's which just finished Mike Bloomberg's promise of 1 million trees, two years ahead of schedule.

NYC is much bigger than JC, but even a pledge of 20,200 trees would put us well behind New York's levels.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 19:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds great, but reading the article, it sounds like the investment from the city is $60,000, which is a little less than $30 a tree... seems like that's a small fraction of what would be needed.. or do I just not know how much a tree cost? Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Jersey City announces plan to plant 2,020 trees citywide by year 2020

By Jonathan Lin | The Jersey Journal
October 23, 2015 at 7:48 PM

JERSEY CITY -- Mayor Steve Fulop and the Jersey City Parks Coalition announced a plan to plant 2,020 trees citywide by year 2020 earlier today in Arlington Park, calling the plan "Bigger Dig 2020."

The initiative's name is based on an annual community service and beautification event in the city called the "the Big Dig," which was launched by the Parks Coalition in 2011 with support from the City of Jersey City, according to a press release.

"Four years and 238,000 daffodils and tulips later, the Parks Coalition and the City are going bigger and taller with a plan to fill parks, streets and public spaces with more than 2,020 trees by 2020," the release stated.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... plant_2020_trees_cit.html

Posted on: 2015/10/24 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City residents plan to stand idly by as 2020 trees die by 2021.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 4:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017