Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City aims to increase diversity of city contractors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Good to see that people are not being judged by the quality of their work or the content of their character, but by the color of their skin.

You assume that people were getting jobs before based on their quality of work and not the color of their skin or who they know...

Posted on: 2015/10/23 18:55
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Buying votes with taxpayer money-Hague would be proud.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'm a very liberal guy, but it pains me to see liberal ideas pushed so far to the brink that they become a parody of the very things they fight against.

A ?very liberal? person would instead be surprised that Jersey City was so far behind the times in not offering incentives to MBEs and WBEs. It?s not a hand-out; consultants and contractors have to prove themselves regardless.
Yeah they have to prove themselves by getting licensed. And then they get bonus money simply for being a minority or woman. That's not equality or liberalism, it's coddling. Practically on our way to paternalism.

And I'm going to head off the charges of "being a whiny white guy" right now by saying that my father was an immigrant who came here from Central America. Guy grew up in a town that just got their paved road five years ago. I've worked my ass off for everything I've earned and so did he. And neither of us have ever harped on the Hispanic or minority card. I never disclose my race on any form because it should be irrelevant.

Training programs and networking databases that are being suggested are a great idea. Subsidizing someone's work just because of their color of their skin or the contents of their underoos is a reactionary swing in the complete wrong direction that totally misses the point of fair play and equal rights.

I agree with you, but "progressives" have abandoned your thinking long ago. They are all about handouts in exchange for votes. Expect to see more of this.

When was politics ever about anything other than politics for votes?

Fair point. Still, I don't think their ideology was this bad even 10 years ago. Something's changed.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'm a very liberal guy, but it pains me to see liberal ideas pushed so far to the brink that they become a parody of the very things they fight against.

A ?very liberal? person would instead be surprised that Jersey City was so far behind the times in not offering incentives to MBEs and WBEs. It?s not a hand-out; consultants and contractors have to prove themselves regardless.
Yeah they have to prove themselves by getting licensed. And then they get bonus money simply for being a minority or woman. That's not equality or liberalism, it's coddling. Practically on our way to paternalism.

And I'm going to head off the charges of "being a whiny white guy" right now by saying that my father was an immigrant who came here from Central America. Guy grew up in a town that just got their paved road five years ago. I've worked my ass off for everything I've earned and so did he. And neither of us have ever harped on the Hispanic or minority card. I never disclose my race on any form because it should be irrelevant.

Training programs and networking databases that are being suggested are a great idea. Subsidizing someone's work just because of their color of their skin or the contents of their underoos is a reactionary swing in the complete wrong direction that totally misses the point of fair play and equal rights.

I agree with you, but "progressives" have abandoned your thinking long ago. They are all about handouts in exchange for votes. Expect to see more of this.

When was politics ever about anything other than politics for votes?

Posted on: 2015/10/23 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/23 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Baloney, this report was done to give money to minorities to "legally bring out the vote." Personally, I have no problem giving money to a JC contractor if it is slightly more than an outside contractor. But government job is to control spending and I am concerned how much money will be spent on this. Fulop has a serious problem with the minority community, this report will not fix that.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/23 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/23 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Good to see that people are not being judged by the quality of their work or the content of their character, but by the color of their skin.

If the city wants to start some programs to train minorities on how to become contractors then that's great. But giving financial incentives to developers that use minority or women-owned contractors is a great way to further incentivize developers to go with whatever will save them the most money rather than the best work.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 14:36

Jersey City aims to increase diversity of city contractors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City aims to increase diversity of city contractors

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 22, 2015 at 5:27 PM

JERSEY CITY — Hiring a new diversity officer, training local businesses on how to become city contractors and offering financial incentives to developers who use women- and minority-owned businesses are among the recommendations of a city committee.

The recommendations, found in a report approved unanimously at last week's City Council meeting, are a response to the 2011 "Croson study," which examined city procurement and construction contracting trends from 2002 through 2008 and concluded that few minority-owned firms were winning contracts with the city.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ity_hiring_contracts.html

Posted on: 2015/10/23 4:37

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017