Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Montessori School on 17 Erie Street is NOT a Montessori School !!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Good points Jersey Mom. I never understood those Montessori schools that go through the primary grades.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
You will find that most of the Montessori schools in the area (either American or International affiliated) do not run actual, authentic Montessori schools. Most are hybrids - or extremely Montessori-lite.

If you are interested in a Montessori experience, you do need to read up on the process and understand how an "authentic" Montessori school is run. Check on the certifications of ALL of the people your child will encounter on a regular basis and see if they are "teachers" or "aides" and what Montessori credentials they have. They vary - and can consist of a simple online course; a few hour course; or, a rigorous Montessori accredited teacher training.

Also, do not confuse "aides" with actual, certified teachers. Remember, private schools can hire anyone and call them a teacher - even if they don't have actual teaching credentials.

This is a really good book to get started understanding Montessori.

Also remember, that Montessori methods are exceptional for young children (in my opinion - not much beyond grade one).

If your child's Montessori school is beyond grade two or three, you have to ask specifically what they are doing to follow the Montessori method in older grades - and what they are doing to challenge your child following these methodologies. Opinions vary - that's just been my experience.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 15:46

Re: Montessori School on 17 Erie Street is a Montessori School !!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/22 19:02
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the school did not believe it to be necessary or appropriate to pay the membership dues to that organization, including a $17.50 "per-pupil" fee.
The costs would likely have been passed along to the families.

Maybe the people running the school considered the membership dues in the organization to be a waste of academic and financial resources.

It says they are not "currently" a member - Maybe they were a member and figured it was not worth it to maintain the membership.

According to my accreditation standard, they are a Montessori school if that's what they want to call themselves.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
My daughter attended this school briefly when she was a toddler (years ago under the previous director). We had challenges, as you would in any school, but none related to whether or not it was a "real" Montessori school.

Questions; if the name Montessori is in the public domain, what makes the American Montessori Society any more an arbiter of what a real Montessori school is than the director of this individual Montessori school?

What if this one is more like a real Montessori school than those that are members of AMS?

I think the only lesson to draw here is that you need to visit any school you are thinking of putting your kids into and evaluate it for yourself.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live at 21 Erie (from 1996 to 2001) and got to know the family who runs the school then. They are wonderful, caring people. I also met many families of students as they came or went or at the park and they were very happy. I still see them from time to time. I suspect the criticisms here are agenda driven by a desire to siphon off students.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNJ07302 wrote:
The Montessori School on 17th Street in JC is NOT a Montessori School..
READ THIS FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE AMERICAN MONTESSORI SOCIETY out of the MONTESSORI headquarters:

"Montessori School of Jersey City, NJ is NOT currently a member of American Montessori Society (AMS). It is optional for Montessori schools to retain membership in professional associations and there is no single agency responsible for overseeing all Montessori schools?the name ?Montessori? is in the public domain.

AMS sets standards for what constitutes a quality Montessori education and defines best practices relating to teacher training and issues such as teacher credentials and teacher/student ratios, but is not a quality control agency".

So, be weary if you are sending your children to the Montessori school on 17th Erie, run by a self elected director/coordinator..They do their own thing and do not follow the standards of the AMS !!

Thanks reading and just be careful....
the gentrifier's worst nightmare ... life sucks, and then you die

Posted on: 2015/10/23 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
jc_dweller....

Posted on: 2015/10/22 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Someone should open the I Can't Believe It's Not Montessori! school.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNJ07302 wrote:
READ THIS FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE AMERICAN MONTESSORI SOCIETY out of the MONTESSORI headquarters:

"Montessori School of Jersey City, NJ is NOT currently a member of American Montessori Society (AMS). It is optional for Montessori schools to retain membership in professional associations and there is no single agency responsible for overseeing all Montessori schools?the name ?Montessori? is in the public domain.

AMS sets standards for what constitutes a quality Montessori education and defines best practices relating to teacher training and issues such as teacher credentials and teacher/student ratios, but is not a quality control agency".

So, be weary if you are sending your children to the Montessori school on 17th Erie, run by a self elected director/coordinator..They do their own thing and do not follow the standards of the AMS !!

montessori or not, I hope they teach the difference between weary and wary.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe a combined Pilates/Montessori School, since both names are in the public domain?

Posted on: 2015/10/22 18:03

Montessori School on 17 Erie Street is AMAZING!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This defamation made on the Montessori School of Jersey City by JCNJ07302 is appalling and unfounded.

As a parent of a recently graduated student who attended this school for 4 years, I cannot be more pleased with my child's education.
The experience was wonderful and has really made a positive impact on my child's introduction to school and shown how exciting & fulfilling learning can be. They absolutely follow Maria Montessori practices in their teaching methods and use Montessori approved tools for learning. The Director is completely open and fully explains how her school fits into the Montessori methodology.

At 6 years old, my child left the school with what I would call advanced math skills (multiplication up to 12x, long division, understanding x&y variables and plotting on charts, basic geometry calculations), advanced grammar skills (identify sentences by all parts of speech, compound sentence writing for declarative, imperative, interrogative, and exclamatory sentences, paragraph writing with sequential event structure etc.. ). She learned basic Spanish and French, took weekly 1:1 piano lessons and also participated in song & dance instruction, as well as weekly yoga classes. They used the outdoor garden for science class instruction and the children could at will explain, draw (& spell) the photosynthesis cycle. At 5 & 6 years old, was already performing research in books on various topics such as different animals species, Presidents of the US and would document facts and write paragraphs on each topic.

Is this ALL true "Montessori" learning, I do not know. Is this school absolutely AMAZING? --> YES!!!

If anyone is considering this school and wants to private message me, I can SHOW YOU the unbelievable work completed by my child over the years at Montessori School of Jersey City. My child was academically challenged, nurtured and loved by all of the teachers, especially the director.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Your article states that there is no one body governing standards among Montessori schools, then cited a specific organization overseeing standards in some Montessori schools.
Additionally, there was no actual criticism given of the school. Why are you posting this? Is there something they did that you didn't like? Are they not up to par? Who dictates what par is?

Also, your username has the wrong zip code in it.

Come on, buddy. This is the internet, we have standards. Low standards... but standards all the same.

Never trust anyone from Kearny :)

Posted on: 2015/10/22 17:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/9 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
This school had been a member of the AMS for many years but recently I found that they were no longer a member of the AMS and they took their web site out of the internet. I am curious to know what's going on with them.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I will say this though, they are vicious about the defense of their parking spot.

God help you if you're still there at 8:01, or try to nestle into that thing at 3:59.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 16:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/2 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
Some of my friends have kids in this school. The teachers are nice, the kids are friendly and get along with each other, and they learn. Seems like a fairly reasonable formula. And from the sounds of it, they are doing absolutely nothing wrong. So I'm not quite sure what the issue is?

Posted on: 2015/10/22 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNJ07032 wrote:
Researching schools for my child !!
The Montessori School system is a great school system built on a certain standard if they belong to the American Montessori School system OF which the JC Montessori school IS NOT !!
As the Director of the AMS states, "the name ?Montessori? is in the public domain"., therefore anyone can open up a school and call it.........MONTESSORI, drawing the public in and the public not aware they are just your everyday, pay a lot of money school...
Thanks for your unfeedback :)

Dude, where's the fire? Calm down. Are they doing anything illegal at that school? Is it unsafe? Are the teachers mean? No?

Then what's the problem? The Montessori name is not trademarked or anything so anyone can slap that name on their building. I could open up a Montessori Strip Club though I don't think it would be very successful.

In any case, you can verify whether an alleged Montessori school is a "real" Montessori school by looking on their website - how hard is that? Parents that can afford their tuition can probably afford internet access.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNJ07032 wrote:
The Montessori School system is a great school system built on a certain standard if they belong to the American Montessori School system OF which the JC Montessori school IS NOT !!
As the Director of the AMS states, "the name ?Montessori? is in the public domain"., therefore anyone can open up a school and call it.........MONTESSORI, drawing the public in and the public not aware they are just your everyday, pay a lot of money school...

Yeah, but the chicken at Kennedy Fried Chicken is usually better than at a legit KFC.

So, how's the chicken at the JC Montessori?

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
The horror...

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/9 14:56
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Your article states that there is no one body governing standards among Montessori schools, then cited a specific organization overseeing standards in some Montessori schools.
Additionally, there was no actual criticism given of the school. Why are you posting this? Is there something they did that you didn't like? Are they not up to par? Who dictates what par is?

Also, your username has the wrong zip code in it.

Come on, buddy. This is the internet, we have standards. Low standards... but standards all the same.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:24

Montessori School on 17 Erie Street is NOT a Montessori School !!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/9 14:56
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017