Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: NJ school nixes Halloween celebrations, cites diversity
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am sure our tax dollars are not flipping the bill for your festivities unless you are one of the scum banks we bailed out. Schools are being funded by public monies and I am against any sort of celebration that has nothing to do with education especially since I don't have kids in the public school system. I am all for Halloween, we have a great celebration in my area for it, but it does not belong in school no matter how butt hurt you are.

Actually, much of the money for these extra-curricular activities comes from PTA-driven fund-raising, not tax-payer money. Rest assured no one's having fun on your dime.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
People have to realize school is a business. Do you all wear witch costumes to your place of employment?

I don't but our office has a Halloween party every year and yes, there were some witch costumes. And no, this isn't some kooky internet startup or three-person business I work at. It is a large, publicly traded company. I doubt the shareholders take issue with something that takes about an hour and the cost of refreshments is maybe $100 if that. Regardless, there has been at least one witch costume every year.

I am sure our tax dollars are not flipping the bill for your festivities unless you are one of the scum banks we bailed out. Schools are being funded by public monies and I am against any sort of celebration that has nothing to do with education especially since I don't have kids in the public school system. I am all for Halloween, we have a great celebration in my area for it, but it does not belong in school no matter how butt hurt you are.

Are you against celebrating birthdays?

Nope I celebrate mines, friends and family every year, but not in schools. I am not against celebrating holidays. I am against parties and parades that have nothing to do with the school curriculum. FYI there are thousands of peeps who don't celebrate Halloween. One of my neighbors from the Ukraine has a sign on her door that reads "No candy here, we do not celebrate Halloween."

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
People have to realize school is a business. Do you all wear witch costumes to your place of employment?

I don't but our office has a Halloween party every year and yes, there were some witch costumes. And no, this isn't some kooky internet startup or three-person business I work at. It is a large, publicly traded company. I doubt the shareholders take issue with something that takes about an hour and the cost of refreshments is maybe $100 if that. Regardless, there has been at least one witch costume every year.

Are you against celebrating birthdays?

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
People have to realize school is a business. Do you all wear witch costumes to your place of employment? I doubt it. Lets prepare kids for the real world. If you want to celebrate Halloween, Valentines day or even Christmas do it in a non Government building.

An alternative take on that is these kids have the rest of their lives to deal with the doldrums of the "real world", and banning a secular holiday (I realize it has origins in a Christian celebration, but let's not pretend that time hasn't long passed) that the great majority of kids find fun as a prep for real-world conditions (which, based on the workspaces I've been in, isn't even accurate) seems a little draconian. I'm all for teaching kids real-world skills in school, but banning harmless fun is probably one of the least effective of those methods.

Now, if the reason had been the district found a significant split amongst kids who could afford costumes and kids who couldn't, then this all starts to make a little more sense. I don't think that's the reason, but I don't know enough about it to say either way.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
People have to realize school is a business. Do you all wear witch costumes to your place of employment? I doubt it. Lets prepare kids for the real world. If you want to celebrate Halloween, Valentines day or even Christmas do it in a non Government building.

Wha? Businesses also probably frown upon My Little Pony backpacks and owl thermoses too... Let kids be kids.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

I don't but our office has a Halloween party every year and yes, there were some witch costumes. And no, this isn't some kooky internet startup or three-person business I work at. It is a large, publicly traded company. I doubt the shareholders take issue with something that takes about an hour and the cost of refreshments is maybe $100 if that. Regardless, there has been at least one witch costume every year. I, on the other hand, was dressed Hugh Hefner. People laughed and no sexual harassment complaints were made. That costume was the bomb! Wish I could do it again this year but dressing up as the same thing two years in a row is lame.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:

How about we just make things totally un-fun for everyone and take away ALL holidays. That way it's fair for everyone.

It sure seems to be going in that direction . It's ridiculous. Nor is Halloween a Christian holiday in the first place. Just pathetic in my opinion. As always, a few holier-than-thou types ruining it for the entire population. Don't even THINK of putting up a Christmas wreath at the school entrance!

The school could have dodged any controversy on this one simply by saying the teachers didn't want to deal with the distractions associated with costumes and putting on Halloween parties in their classrooms.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"One of the strengths of Seth Boyden is that we are such a diverse community, with many cultures represented, and that we truly value each one," they wrote in the note.
Which is why we will no longer be valuing any of them.

Quote:
"In the past, in-school celebrations of Halloween have made many of our students feel left out... (and as) a result, after careful consultation and deliberation, we have decided not to hold in-school Halloween activities."

According to the letter, about 20 percent of the school's student body did not participate in last year's celebrations, either while they were at school or by choosing to stay home on Halloween.
I don't get it, they didn't participate because their parents are immigrants and didn't know about it, or for some other reason? Where's the "culture" aspect of this come in? When I went to a sleepaway camp for the first time I was sad that I didn't get a care package from my parents. Did the camp ban care packages to make sure I wasn't left out? No, my parents made sure I got one next year. What is it with schools having to handhold everyone these days and making sure that either everyone is special or nobody is.

Next I'm sure they'll make sure that kids are only allowed to bring an apple and a slice of bread for lunch so that kids with shitty lunches don't feel bad.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
So we have to celebrate Muslim days, but take away Halloween?
What about New Year's day? What about Christmas?
How about we just make things totally un-fun for everyone and take away ALL holidays. That way it's fair for everyone.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Halloween does not belong in school period. Good for them!

Posted on: 2015/10/20 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Since when was Halloween a religious or ethnic holiday? You've gotta be kidding me here.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 16:37

NJ school nixes Halloween celebrations, cites diversity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
MAPLEWOOD ? Halloween should be celebrated at home, not at school.

That was the message one New Jersey elementary school sent to parents last week as a reminder that students will not be having Halloween parties at school. In a letter home to parents on Oct. 12, Seth Boyden Elementary School Principal Mark Quiles, and PTA Co-Presidents Amelia Riekenberg and Donna Upton, said the school's diversity prompted the Halloween celebration decision.

"One of the strengths of Seth Boyden is that we are such a diverse community, with many cultures represented, and that we truly value each one," they wrote in the note.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... _most-read_hudson_article

Posted on: 2015/10/20 16:32

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017