Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   3 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
fuck it, an elevator is still an improvement, no matter how inefficient they make it.

in before it breaks down every other month and the tv scroll stops giving out useful information to update us that the elevator is out of service

Posted on: 2015/11/6 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't you guys noticed there are two areas under construction? It's not just the work in the middle of the platform area by the turnstiles (whatever you call it), they also narrowed the exit that is across the street from the Grove St Plaza.

Based on the current work, looks like there will be an elevator from street level on Columbus across the Plaza that takes you down to the turnstiles. There then will be a second elevator from the middle of the turnstile level down to the track platform.

It probably would have been a lot easier/better if the PA made the original facility ADA compliant. But since they can't seem to do anything right (despite collecting an exorbitant amount of money from the taxpayers), this is what we will be stuck with. Yay for no accountability! Must be nice.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
A while ago, someone pointed out that two elevators would be needed because a single elevator from street to platform would bypass the turnstiles.

A single elevator from street level to the platform would have to be located in the middle of Christopher Columbus Dr.

There are certainly more elegant potential solutions to the problem, but they would cost tens of millions of dollars and be even more disruptive.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 15:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
A while ago, someone pointed out that two elevators would be needed because a single elevator from street to platform would bypass the turnstiles. I'm guessing this is an elevator to the platform and that we will soon see the turnstiles rearranged - just a guess.

I still don't get why they need to do this. Two examples:
1) Newport. The first elevator is after the turnstile. Then you walk all the way around the building and go to the second elevator. Very crappy elevator design indepedent of turnstile placement.

2) JSQ. The first elevator is the parking garage elevator, again very very far from the second elevator. The second elevator has its own turnstile by the Duane Reade's. Why can't they just make that elevator go up another story and put the turnstile there to be handicap/stroller friendly?

Posted on: 2015/11/6 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
A while ago, someone pointed out that two elevators would be needed because a single elevator from street to platform would bypass the turnstiles. I'm guessing this is an elevator to the platform and that we will soon see the turnstiles rearranged - just a guess.

Another pain in the ass: when I got an updated credit card from my bank my old one was canceled. Same number but different date and security code. PATH canceled my automatic replentishment and I had to start over. I asked my bank about this since it seems like this sort of faux-bouncing would be occuring millions of times a day. I was told that most organizations with automatic payments have updated software to recognize the change. My MTA card bounced too.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
I was wondering if it was an elevator as well, however if that's going to the street, it would come up in the middle of the west-bound lane of newark ave...

Surely you meant to say Columbus Dr.

Quote:

if it's just to the platform with escalators & stairs only then wtf's the point?

unless they put another elevator just northwest of that in the corner by the escalator?

It's a two elevator solution for two very obvious reasons: one elevator cannot get you from street level to the platform (because it would have to be in the middle of Columbus Drive) and because they need to be able to enforce fare collection. So, one elevator gets you down to the mezzanine, where the person would then go through a wheelchair turnstile, and then down the second elevator onto the platform.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It does seem like an awful place to put an elevator, I feel like it should be off to the side of the mezzanine level. Where it is now makes things really crazy during peak commuting hours.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering if it was an elevator as well, however if that's going to the street, it would come up in the middle of the west-bound lane of newark ave...

if it's just to the platform with escalators & stairs only then wtf's the point?

unless they put another elevator just northwest of that in the corner by the escalator?

Posted on: 2015/11/6 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Saradove wrote:
This may have already been addressed but ? what is that gigantic square box built smack dab in the middle of the Grove PATH Station mezzanine? Is it staying? It takes up so much space that people are two-stepping & bouncing off each other coming & going during rush hour.

I'm sure it has something to do with the elevator the PA was forced to install after it lost that lawsuit.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 2:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
This may have already been addressed but ? what is that gigantic square box built smack dab in the middle of the Grove PATH Station mezzanine? Is it staying? It takes up so much space that people are two-stepping & bouncing off each other coming & going during rush hour.

Posted on: 2015/11/6 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
If it is an interim passageway, makes no sense to open one up for another winter as we've made do for so long already....more bonus money for the PATH officials i guess

Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
More delays due to the shitty construction standards at the world's most expensive train station - now the Oculus is leaking water, pushing back the opening into the first half of 2016, not that anyone who commutes through there daily had any illusions it would open this year.

But here is the real gem buried in the story: "By fall of next year, two new PATH train platforms are to be in service, in addition to those already used by commuters. Finally, the mezzanine above the platforms, which is linked to the Oculus by a grand staircase, is to be finished by the end of next year. The authority has abandoned its plan to open an interim passageway through the Oculus."

Another example of fine communication from the PA. Can't wait for another winter of trudging across the WTC site in the snow.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
A Calatrava building leaks?!?! Y'don't say!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/art ... tics-as-well-as-fans.html

Posted on: 2015/11/5 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
More delays due to the shitty construction standards at the world's most expensive train station - now the Oculus is leaking water, pushing back the opening into the first half of 2016, not that anyone who commutes through there daily had any illusions it would open this year.

But here is the real gem buried in the story: "By fall of next year, two new PATH train platforms are to be in service, in addition to those already used by commuters. Finally, the mezzanine above the platforms, which is linked to the Oculus by a grand staircase, is to be finished by the end of next year. The authority has abandoned its plan to open an interim passageway through the Oculus."

Another example of fine communication from the PA. Can't wait for another winter of trudging across the WTC site in the snow.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

peternem wrote:
Anyone have any idea why they insist on showing those frustrating scrolling messages on the screens in exchange place showing when the next scheduled train is, rather than just showing the actual time until the next train?

Even if the data isn't available for some reason to show the actual time, they should at least change the scrolling messages for a shortened static one. The words that cause it to need to scroll are completely superfluous.

That annoys me too. And gods forbid an elevator is out of service somewhere in the system, then you may not get any train times at all. Just a repeating scrolled message moving across the screen at 0.01 mph saying:

"TTTHHEE ELLLLLLEVATTTOORRRRRRRR ATTTTT HOOOBOOOOKKKKENNNNN BEEEEETWEEEEENNNNNNNN CCCCCONNNNNNNCOURSSSSSSEE LLLLLLEVVVVVELLLLL AND PPPPPPPPLLLLLLATTTTTTTFFFFFFORRRRRMMMMM LLLLEVVVVELLLL ISSSSSSS OUTTTTTTTT OFFFFFFFFF SSSSSSSSSERRRRRRRRRRVVVVVVVVVICCCCCCCCCCEEE."

It's done intentionally to force you to consume more of the spammy NBC content on PATHVISION while you're hoping for some word of the status of your train.

Posted on: 2015/10/12 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

peternem wrote:
Anyone have any idea why they insist on showing those frustrating scrolling messages on the screens in exchange place showing when the next scheduled train is, rather than just showing the actual time until the next train?

Even if the data isn't available for some reason to show the actual time, they should at least change the scrolling messages for a shortened static one. The words that cause it to need to scroll are completely superfluous.

Yes, the pointless scrolling drives me nuts! You could fit all the upcoming trains at the bottom of the screen if you abbreviate them, e.g. 33/2 min, WTC/3 min, JSQ/6 min, NWK/5 min.

Posted on: 2015/10/11 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm, it's not that I don't trust announcements from PATH, it's just not that I don't think those people are capable of knowing what's happening in their own system.

But wait, they've actually out right lied to us a few times in the past too.

Quote:

07310 wrote:
They are claiming everything is back to normal.

10/10/2015 3:26:45 PM

Path train service is resuming normal operations, NWK-WTC 00,20,40 WTC-NWK 07,27,47. Jsq.-33rd will resume normal weekend service.

http://www.airportinfoalerts.com/recent_pathalerts.aspx

Posted on: 2015/10/11 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
They are claiming everything is back to normal.

10/10/2015 3:26:45 PM

Path train service is resuming normal operations, NWK-WTC 00,20,40 WTC-NWK 07,27,47. Jsq.-33rd will resume normal weekend service.

http://www.airportinfoalerts.com/recent_pathalerts.aspx

Posted on: 2015/10/10 23:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 0:43
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/10 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
It was REALLY BAD at 9am this morning too. At that time, it appeared that (God knows what the announcers were saying through those speakers) they only had one track running, so all the folks coming from HOB had to get off at Grove to wait for another train (to go towards NWK, I assume), while the platform was already full with people waiting to go to NYC. When the WTO train came, it was already FULLY packed. Thank god a lot of people got off at Grove (I guess to switch trains to go to HOB?) so that we can re-pack the train to it's full extent. Poor folks at Exchange Place - no room for them.

This is A LOT worse than the usual weekend trains.

Also, I don't understand why they have to announce every 2 seconds that due to weekend track maintenance, there's delays. There are ALWAYS delays every weekend, why bother with that stupid announcement.

My fear is that - as bad as the PATH train is, I bet it can get a lot worse before it gets better (if ever).

It is going to get much worse over the next 2 years as people start moving in to all the new construction. I think there is supposed to be at least 30,000 new units (so 60,000 people) going online at JSQ and Grove.

Posted on: 2015/10/10 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
It was REALLY BAD at 9am this morning too. At that time, it appeared that (God knows what the announcers were saying through those speakers) they only had one track running, so all the folks coming from HOB had to get off at Grove to wait for another train (to go towards NWK, I assume), while the platform was already full with people waiting to go to NYC. When the WTO train came, it was already FULLY packed. Thank god a lot of people got off at Grove (I guess to switch trains to go to HOB?) so that we can re-pack the train to it's full extent. Poor folks at Exchange Place - no room for them.

This is A LOT worse than the usual weekend trains.

Also, I don't understand why they have to announce every 2 seconds that due to weekend track maintenance, there's delays. There are ALWAYS delays every weekend, why bother with that stupid announcement.

My fear is that - as bad as the PATH train is, I bet it can get a lot worse before it gets better (if ever).

Posted on: 2015/10/10 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
PATH 11AM today...Total chaos as NY tracks are closed; passengers directed to Newark platform for NY trains & after packing on told by PATH personnel & police to get off & go upstairs for their safety. PATH telling people to get on shuttle for Grove St...Saw track workers with flags east of station...PATH site says something about structural integrity of platform. Not good...

Is this your first hand account?

Of course not, she drives everywhere, did you know there is no where to park in Jersey City?

Posted on: 2015/10/10 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
PATH announced at 1:45 PM there was a partial bridge collapse near Journal Square. Took long enough to hear that and what will it mean for the commute??

Posted on: 2015/10/10 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
PATH 11AM today...Total chaos as NY tracks are closed; passengers directed to Newark platform for NY trains & after packing on told by PATH personnel & police to get off & go upstairs for their safety. PATH telling people to get on shuttle for Grove St...Saw track workers with flags east of station...PATH site says something about structural integrity of platform. Not good...

Is this your first hand account?

Posted on: 2015/10/10 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Hey, Yvonne, can we blame Fulop for this? Maybe tie it to the tax abatements?

Posted on: 2015/10/10 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/10 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
This is a new one...

PATH Alerts ?@PATHAlerts 2h2 hours ago
Due to a structual defect at the JSQ station, service from HAR to GRO is suspended.

https://twitter.com/PATHAlerts/status/652872936496304128

Is this service still suspended?

Check PATHAlerts...

Looks like it's not running. I guess anyone that needs to go to Harrison or Newark better hope the initial alert was incorrect when it said "structural defect."

If that is true, it could take a very long time to fix.

Posted on: 2015/10/10 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
This is a new one...

Due to a structual defect at the JSQ station, service from HAR to GRO is suspended.

Check PATHAlerts...

Posted on: 2015/10/10 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
This is a new one...

Posted on: 2015/10/10 18:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
This is a new one...

Posted on: 2015/10/10 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:
This doesn't sound good (as of 12:53 am - 10/3/2015)

Due to a track condition, PATH is operating 33rd-Hob, Nwk-Jsq and Wtc-Ex. Place only. NJT will cross honor PATH passengners.

I got to WTC at about 11.30pm last night only to be told all PATH service was "closed". Not suspended, or suffering delays, but closed. I asked the clueless guy whether 33rd-JSQ was running and of course he had no idea. Took the A train to PABT, waited an hour and then, without been told whether trains were operating or not, got on a JSQ train which terminated at Hoboken. So I walked down the Hudson walkway in the pouring rain to get back to home.

Even by PATH's pathetic weekend late night standards, last night was astoundingly frustrating. When a guy tells you to go to Penn Station and get NJ Transit to Secaucus, how exactly does that help anyone who lives in JC or Hoboken?

We spend a lot of time on this thread comparing PATH to the MTA, but the fact is there are a half dozen lines to take you into Brookly, Queens or the Bronx if one closes. Last night there was no ferry, bus or train option to get home. If we want to talk about why JC real estate is not approaching the same prices as Brooklyn Heights, its not the Jersey stigma, it is the risk of been stranded late at night.

There were plenty of yellow cab vultures lurking outide WTC, however, happily offering to take people home for $60.

Apologies for raging. Rant over.

You had a better night than this guy.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _c.html#incart_river_home

A man was found dead on the PATH tracks late last night in Jersey City, authorities said this morning.

The man was found just west of the Grove Street PATH station just after 11 p.m. last night, Port Authority police spokesman Joe Pentangelo said. It could not be confirmed if he was struck or how he died.

The PATH system was completely shut down at 11:15 p.m. and at 12:08 a.m. PATH resumed service from Hoboken to 33rd Street and between Journal Square and Newark.

Service was restored at 5:05 am. Pentangelo said the man's death is under investigation.

Guess that's the cause of the system shutdown.

The lack of communication sucks, but I do understand why it had to happen. Whenever a death happens, they close the whole area down for a long time.

This episode does illustrate that one glaring weakness for the DTJC real estate market is that if the PATH is shut down for whatever reason, you are completely fucked going to/from NYC. There is no alternative once the ferries close, which is rather early.

It is also why I think the massive new construction (I believe over 30,000 units, or approximately 60,000 people in JSQ and Grove) will completely overwhelm the already overcrowded PATH. Because it won't just affect late nights, you will have a very hard time getting on the trains at all unless you live in JSQ. I think this will serve to severely limit the DTJC real estate market unless there is some kind of solution.

Lack of communications sucks? Do you not subscribe to the PATH Alerts? There was a whole slew of them. They didn't say someone was killed, but then again, they don't need to point that out. They just said the system was down and that NJ transit was cross honoring.

Look, I'm no fan of PATH. I hate that ride every day. They cram us in and there's nothing we can do about it. However, in the case last night, they were very forth coming with info even on an early Saturday morning.

Did you not read the guy's post that I responded to? You know, "communication" is not limited to PATH Alerts. It includes oral guidance received from PATH employees at various stations.

Here's a suggestion that should have been implemented 100 years ago: have the people who make the shutdown decisions communicate with the employees at the station, who can in turn communicate with the public.

With this revelation in mind, I suggest you read the guy's post again.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 23:39

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017