Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bjay wrote:
News report that the operators of Batello are taking the space and will open "The Kitchen Step" in early 2015.

NJ.com link

The Kitchen Step will be a neighborhood joint with a wide-ranging but affordable and market-driven modern American menu ? from a brick-roasted chicken to mahi mahi tacos to an Asian-spiced tuna tartar to a burger.

He tailored the concept to the 45-seat space in the Grove Street neighborhood ? DePersio has been itching to do a wood-fired oven trattoria, but Jersey City doesn't need another Italian, he says.

"We want to feed the neighborhood," he says. "We want for people to feel like they could here every week."

Good news, and not surprising. As I've stated before, we have absolutely nothing to worry about when high profile, but overpriced restaurants decide to close up shop here.

This area is a goldmine for savvy restaurateurs, who know it's just a matter of hitting the right concept and price point. Hopefully The Kitchen Step gets it right.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 21:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Kitchen Step sounds good to me. Although it is an expensive night out, I have always enjoyed Battello, and I'm sure the location adds a lot to the price. Since they are saying that the Kitchen Step menu will be more affordable, I look forward to trying it out. Sounds like it will be a good addition to the neighborhood, and it is definitely better than another pizza place.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
News report that the operators of Batello are taking the space and will open "The Kitchen Step" in early 2015.

NJ.com link

The Kitchen Step will be a neighborhood joint with a wide-ranging but affordable and market-driven modern American menu ? from a brick-roasted chicken to mahi mahi tacos to an Asian-spiced tuna tartar to a burger.

He tailored the concept to the 45-seat space in the Grove Street neighborhood ? DePersio has been itching to do a wood-fired oven trattoria, but Jersey City doesn't need another Italian, he says.

"We want to feed the neighborhood," he says. "We want for people to feel like they could here every week."

Posted on: 2015/10/16 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
" it really was not financially stable " says it all! Jersey City continues to be the best NYC bedroom community for me, but these poor people that continue to think they can start a private business here that will be successful....no. This is the truth why nothing stays after a few years. Plain and simple and done.

I think that is the part that most people don't want to acknowledge: many, many people in DTJC, even the ones in "luxury buildings", are spread very thin, essentially living paycheck to paycheck. According to multiple studies and articles, we are one of the least affordable cities for renters, with renters paying on average close to 50% of their gross income towards their housing. It's kind of hard to support high end places when you are living overextended!

Posted on: 2015/10/10 10:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
" it really was not financially stable " says it all! Jersey City continues to be the best NYC bedroom community for me, but these poor people that continue to think they can start a private business here that will be successful....no. This is the truth why nothing stays after a few years. Plain and simple and done.

Posted on: 2015/10/10 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
I'm not particularly sadden by this. I tried this place a few times, and I always felt people were not properly trained or worse, had an attitude. (Maybe greeting and saying customers thank you for coming with smile was too much expectation on my part.)

Anyway, when I commented about my experience, someone said, "Thirty Acre is not going to go anywhere anytime soon." Well, the time has come.

There is a great series of posts on the Talde thread where one guy says Thirty Acres is always empty since the tasting menu switch and he's not sure how they are even still in business. Then someone else confidently tells him he's completely wrong, the restaurant doesn't need to have too many people with a tasting menu format, and their business was doing great.

Only a couple days later Thirty Acres announced they were closing.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not particularly sadden by this. I tried this place a few times, and I always felt people were not properly trained or worse, had an attitude. (Maybe greeting and saying customers thank you for coming with smile was too much expectation on my part.)

Anyway, when I commented about my experience, someone said, "Thirty Acre is not going to go anywhere anytime soon." Well, the time has come.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
JJ comments

special closing menu: bitter herbs, sour grapes, and lots of whine. you effed up. learn from your mistakes and move on. but don't blame jersey city because it didn't supply enough customers. sheesh.

I think that will be served with generous servings of Rotten Attitude, but unfortunately Humble Pie will not be offered.

Word on the street among industry foodies locally is that they've already found someone to take over the lease and the liquor license. No more details yet

Posted on: 2015/10/9 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:
I feel like a lot of you keep talking like the business fail $ wise. Please read this article again, the only time it seemed that money was a factor was if they had to decided to hire a real chef to run the place while they were in Seattle. To me, it sounds like they were over it regardless. Byob or Liquor license doesn't matter. Restaurants are hard work and rarely have a big return unless its some big chain place.

Direct quotes from the EATER article:
But honestly, it wasn't really working out. It wasn't financially stable, or the type of thing where we could sustain our family life with our new daughter.

The day that everything started to go downhill was the day that we stopped being BYOB

That day was the beginning of the end for our restaurant. We never just really recovered. We lost customers because it was strictly BYOB.

Direct quotes from the GRUBSTREET article:
It was both a financial decision as much as a personal decision.

Ultimately, there was a point, perhaps, where Thirty Acres and Jersey City maybe weren?t seeing eye to eye.

It was great for me as a cook, but as an owner, and as someone who?s growing a family, it sucks.

Alex and I, it?s only us here ? no investors, all the money, or lack thereof, is ours

I don't know about you, but that sounds like it was very, very much about the financials and the lack of money they were bringing in, but I guess you see it differently.

I stand corrected, the article i read said non of that.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
At $250+ for a couple, this is a destination restaurant. They needed to attract people throughout the NYC metro area to their restaurant, not rely solely on the JC community. They didn't do that and failed. If they really thought they were going to survive off the JC community with that setup, well...I'll keep my thoughts to myself b/c we all make mistakes throughout life...some bigger than others.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just dont think they had the right model... if a place like Dullboy can do well... then Thirty Acres should have no issue.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
JJ comments

#1 Maybe Jersey City didn't want us, or we didn't want them at the right time."

special closing menu: bitter herbs, sour grapes, and lots of whine. you effed up. learn from your mistakes and move on. but don't blame jersey city because it didn't supply enough customers. sheesh.

#2 No surprise here. . There will be more to go. A mere flashback to the late 80s , early 90s. in Downtown JC. Right after Newport was built . Deja Vu all over again.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
I love this place and will try to get in multiple times before they close.

The interview was not a happy one, but I didn't see it as terribly bitter toward JC. It sounds like a lot of burnout, self doubt, the glare of the spotlight and expectations getting to them, in combination with the financial factors.

When he talks about the competitive culture here, he's talking more about the Manhattan scene that he thought they'd escaped, only to find that they were almost more talked-about for extending it to JC.

Anyway, I hope someone else comes into JC soon and condescends to tell us what weird new thing to eat next; I value the risk-taking of such chefs.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I regret not trying this place, something always came up whenever I tried to make time to go...when it first opened.

But If i was being honest, i would not have gone to try it if it was only a tasting menu format.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
@ Monroe: my point, exactly: pricing was on par with my favorite, splurge restaurants in NYC while the decor was on par with an ice cream parlor. We love to support *local* but there was just too far a disconnect between expectations (a comfortable evening out with delicious food, wine and decor) and reality.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
A $75 tasting menu for two is easily a $300 for two meal if you want a couple of decent wine pairings with a few of the courses. JC doesn't have the diners to support that except for maybe two nights a week. Throw in the fact that you're not getting NYC service (and the place isn't exactly fancy inside) and you won't succeed with that model.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Carmichael wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:
I feel like a lot of you keep talking like the business fail $ wise. Please read this article again, the only time it seemed that money was a factor was if they had to decided to hire a real chef to run the place while they were in Seattle. To me, it sounds like they were over it regardless. Byob or Liquor license doesn't matter. Restaurants are hard work and rarely have a big return unless its some big chain place.

But honestly, it wasn't really working out. It wasn't financially stable, or the type of thing where we could sustain our family life with our new daughter.

The day that everything started to go downhill was the day that we stopped being BYOB

That day was the beginning of the end for our restaurant. We never just really recovered. We lost customers because it was strictly BYOB.

Ultimately, there was a point, perhaps, where Thirty Acres and Jersey City maybe weren?t seeing eye to eye.

It was great for me as a cook, but as an owner, and as someone who?s growing a family, it sucks.

Alex and I, it?s only us here ? no investors, all the money, or lack thereof, is ours

I don't know about you, but that sounds like it was very, very much about the financials and the lack of money they were bringing in, but I guess you see it differently.

This bolded bit about no investors isn't accurate. They were the beneficiaries of David Chang in a number of ways, i.e., publicist, investments, connections, etc. Kevin's bitter turn against the community that had filled his restaurant for years is an immature and unnecessarily defensive way to exit. What did them in was a poor business decision to go tasting menu only. Maybe that's where JC wasn't seeing eye-to-eye with him, and if so, it's extremely petty for him to go out so rudely. Especially when they're hoping we'll all patronize the restaurant for one last time.

If the tasting menu model was the main issue, they could've switched back. If JClisters can think of this, so can the business owners. Let's give them some credit, it's not that hard to see.

To me, it seems like there are multiple factors at play, one of them being wanting to move to the Northwest.

I hear what you are saying, but you have to acknowledge that this owner (at least the husband) comes across as extremely immature and defensive in his interviews. Since this guy repeatedly blamed (in a passive aggressive manner) the very community that supported him for years, while completely ignoring all discussion of his ill fated tasting menu (and other bad business decisions), this is why you are seeing the reaction on this board.

Under your most charitable interpretation, ignoring any bad business decisions, the owners were going to move to the Northwest anyway but decided to take some public swipes at the community. And give interviews filled with curses and rage.

I guarantee if he gave a classy, mature interview, you'd mainly see well wishes here. Instead, the owners give off the distinct impression that they blame others for their own personal failings.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Carmichael wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:

This bolded bit about no investors isn't accurate. They were the beneficiaries of David Chang in a number of ways, i.e., publicist, investments, connections, etc. Kevin's bitter turn against the community that had filled his restaurant for years is an immature and unnecessarily defensive way to exit. What did them in was a poor business decision to go tasting menu only. Maybe that's where JC wasn't seeing eye-to-eye with him, and if so, it's extremely petty for him to go out so rudely. Especially when they're hoping we'll all patronize the restaurant for one last time.

If the tasting menu model was the main issue, they could've switched back. If JClisters can think of this, so can the business owners. Let's give them some credit, it's not that hard to see.

To me, it seems like there are multiple factors at play, one of them being wanting to move to the Northwest.

No one is claiming that the tasting menu was the main issue. The owners themselves have stated that the beginning of the end was the switch away from BYOB. I quoted it above, and it is elucidated in the Eater article. The switch to the tasting menu was just the final nail in the coffin.

Quote:
What did them in was a poor business decision to go tasting menu only.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Carmichael wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:

No one is claiming that the tasting menu was the main issue. The owners themselves have stated that the beginning of the end was the switch away from BYOB. I quoted it above, and it is elucidated in the Eater article. The switch to the tasting menu was just the final nail in the coffin.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Carmichael wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/8 18:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

plnj wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/8 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Esperanto's to Thirty Acres to ??

Hopefully, not another bar stuffed with TVs.

Putin' on the Ritz: Nouveau Russian.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/8 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/8 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Can you confirm which of the handful here in DT own their spaces? The only one mentioned previously that is likely renting is Abbondanza.

As far as comparing to NYC, I think the city has the population to sustain a BYO restaurant for the simple novelty that they are so few and far between. We're just not there yet, for better or worse.

How do you define "so few and far between"? There are a least 200 BYO restaurants in NYC, and the actual number is probably really high. Heck, they even have "top 100" lists of best BYO restaurants. If you think BYO is a novelty, you need to get out more.

I think that was misunderstood. I'm saying it is novel when BYO is connected to a high end dining experience.

Ah, got it. But, even that is not so accurate. Some years ago, I learned that many high end restaurants will allow you to BYO, with certain caveats/restrictions. Namely, you can't bring a wine they feature in their wine list, you must be willing to pay the (often high) corkage fee (some places will charge per meal flat fee, others per bottle) and there is an implicit understanding that you will bring a bottle that is commensurate with the food level. It is also proper etiquette and in good taste to offer the sommelier a taste of the wine, maybe even the chef. So, don't bring Yellow Tail to a high end steakhouse, don't complain about the $25 - $50 corkage fee per bottle and call ahead to make sure the bottle you are thinking about bringing is not one they have in their list. Honestly, I have done this on a couple of occasions and it has always been great. Sommeliers appreciate getting to taste a wine they may not normally stock, and you can enjoy a truly great wine without paying a markup of several hundred dollars.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Can you confirm which of the handful here in DT own their spaces? The only one mentioned previously that is likely renting is Abbondanza.

As far as comparing to NYC, I think the city has the population to sustain a BYO restaurant for the simple novelty that they are so few and far between. We're just not there yet, for better or worse.

How do you define "so few and far between"? There are a least 200 BYO restaurants in NYC, and the actual number is probably really high. Heck, they even have "top 100" lists of best BYO restaurants. If you think BYO is a novelty, you need to get out more.

I think that was misunderstood. I'm saying it is novel when BYO is connected to a high end dining experience.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/8 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/8 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Still, when a couple that runs a restaurant decides to completely up and move to the other side of the country, that's a life decision that goes beyond whether a particular menu change or BYOB policy was working or not working.

I get what you are saying, but those of us commenting on the reasons are not doing so in a vacuum. The owners have gone on record (via an Eater article, posted in this thread, or the other one) that they couldn't make a go of it, and that they can trace their failure to the very first day after getting their license and suspending BYOB. I believe the words they used were "the day we stopped being a BYOB was the beginning of the end". Clearly, they made a business decision that backfired and, inexplicably, they didn't seek a way to regain their previous mojo.

In this day and age BYOB doesn't pay the bills. The places that don't have a Liquor license, don't have the money, or figures to hire another person to work the bar.

You keep saying this, while willfully ignoring the fact that MANY restaurants in NYC, and a handful here in JC, have thrived while sticking to a BYOB policy.

15 Fox Place, speaking of unique and long standing JC BYOB places. And they basically do a tasting menu too, at around the same price, yet have been around, what, at least 15 years to my knowledge.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Still, when a couple that runs a restaurant decides to completely up and move to the other side of the country, that's a life decision that goes beyond whether a particular menu change or BYOB policy was working or not working.

I get what you are saying, but those of us commenting on the reasons are not doing so in a vacuum. The owners have gone on record (via an Eater article, posted in this thread, or the other one) that they couldn't make a go of it, and that they can trace their failure to the very first day after getting their license and suspending BYOB. I believe the words they used were "the day we stopped being a BYOB was the beginning of the end". Clearly, they made a business decision that backfired and, inexplicably, they didn't seek a way to regain their previous mojo.

In this day and age BYOB doesn't pay the bills. The places that don't have a Liquor license, don't have the money, or figures to hire another person to work the bar.

You keep saying this, while willfully ignoring the fact that MANY restaurants in NYC, and a handful here in JC, have thrived while sticking to a BYOB policy.

Posted on: 2015/10/8 2:08

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017